PDA

View Full Version : They call me.........Tim!

MuslixtheMighty
08-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Milling around the forums, I have been noticing the many names of my brothers and sisters of the gaming guild and I am curious if any of these names have any stories behind them. Are they the name of your favorite character from seaons past or a nickname that you earned from eating too many cans of Spam?

A couple of years ago on one non-descript day, one of my brothers asked me an interesting question.

"If you were making an adventurer and could only use the name of a cereal for his/her name, what name would you use?"

Instantly, my mind starts thinking about the brands that I was very familiar with. "Honey Nut Cheerios, Trix, Fruity Peddles" but then I remembered the name of a Canadian cereal.

"Muslix the Mighty"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 03:26 PM
My name came from R. E. Howards Conan series. You can read more about him here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=thoth-amon&btnG=Search

If you havent read Howards work, then may i suggest you pick up a copy today. You wont be disappointed.

Thoth-Amon

Ben Rostoker
08-29-2008, 03:36 PM
My name comes from a great story. You see my parents were starting up their RPG and decided to name one of their new characters....

lol It's just my real name. Named after my Grandfather on my Dad's side.

Grimwell
08-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Back in 1992 (+/- one year) I was asked to develop on a Diku Mud. I needed a name for my uber powerful character and wanted something that sounded cool. Grimtooth came to mind as a reference and I started going over ideas on names starting with "Grim..." and suddenly "Grimwell" popped into my mind and I liked it.

After that I discovered it was a Scottish surname, and was used in one of Robert Jordan's books... so many people have a frame of reference when they hear it.

Igbutton
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Igbutton was a goblin in Bruce Colville's book Dragonslayers. He was my favorite author when I was a kid. The goblin loved cookies and when I reading the books cookies were probably what I ate rather than a meal 1 a week, I loved them that much. The name is kind of kooky and fun, I loved it from the start. It's been my tag for every MMO and forum I joined for as long a I remember.

Zeneak
08-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Zeneak is a home brewed character name and game profile name for me, it has sort of become my persona when gaming. the full name is Zeneak S. Zenguard. the initial is Solace

Genzodus Thoth
08-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I can't remember exactly why, but I was working on a "bloodline of the gods" idea, and after some consideration, I decided to use Thoth. At one point in time, I had made an Oriental Adventures samurai character named Gensou that I never ended up using. I thought that it sounded pretty cool, so I westernized it. In the end, the bloodline idea was scrapped, but I kept the name.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I can't remember exactly why, but I was working on a "bloodline of the gods" idea, and after some consideration, I decided to use Thoth. At one point in time, I had made an Oriental Adventures samurai character named Gensou that I never ended up using. I thought that it sounded pretty cool, so I westernized it. In the end, the bloodline idea was scrapped, but I kept the name.
Thoth-Amon has sent his mental signature to his brother, Genzodus Thoth.

It reads:

"Just because we are descendents of Seraphim... or higher, doesnt mean anyone else here is anything other than a mere human mortal."

All fun aside, i like your bloodlines idea. Be sure to keep us updated.

Thoth-Amon

cplmac
08-29-2008, 09:02 PM
It is what everyone called me when I was in the U.S. Marines. I was the rank of corporal, and usually most folks have trouble trying to pronounce my irish sir name, so for everyone's ease, I was always know as Corporal Mac. When I needed a screen name to use, I just went with it.

MuslixtheMighty
08-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Side story that I forgot to mention earlier. When I told my GM about the question. He said he would make a Halfling barbarian named "Grapenuts".

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Side story that I forgot to mention earlier. When I told my GM about the question. He said he would make a Halfling barbarian named "Grapenuts".
Grapenuts? Freakin' hilarious. I'll have to steal that name for my Gnome or Halfling(undecided) thief for WLD (Worlds Largest Dungeon) 4.0.

Thoth-Amon

cplmac
08-30-2008, 08:45 AM

That is just way to funny.:lol:

tesral
08-31-2008, 02:26 AM
In the BBS days I was Phoenix. Hence the sig line I still use. But it's such a common word and a common handle when I hit the internet I figured I needed something more unique. Ergo I went with the name of the main Phoenix character in my campaign, Tesral. It has served me well.

Tesral is a corruption of the name for a male hawk a tercel.

tesral
08-31-2008, 02:29 AM

Cheerios the Bard. Shreddin' Tweet the Kenku warrior and Special Kay the Magician.

cplmac
08-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Cheerios the Bard. Shreddin' Tweet the Kenku warrior and Special Kay the Magician.

I may need to borrow these at some time.

Ben Rostoker
08-31-2008, 02:39 PM

Can't forget about Trix and Lucky Charms the twin Rouges.

nijineko
08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
chex the untoasted. because i don't like it when they cook it for the chex mix, but love it in "raw" cereal form. but a character named such might not last long. i imagine that dragons would take it as a challenge. ^^

the "tail" of nijineko:

my name was given to me when i lived in japan. during an eikaiwa class (english conversation class) i was teaching, we were going over common "learn-about-each-other" phrases, and of course, favorite color came up. after everyone had given one, i was going to move on, but then they wanted to know mine. i tried to put them off, saying that as an artist, i could not possibly pick one, but the insisted. so finally i said "rainbow". they claimed that wasn't a color, but i said that it was now. ^^

sometime within a few weeks of that incident, we were doing a sports night-to which many of our eikaiwa students would come-and playing volleyball. i was pondering how to improve my game, and the lessons that this chinese guy i once met taught me about ping-pong popped into my head. so i decided to attempt to apply his teachings on spin to a volleyball. after some experimentation, i discovered that using a cat-fist with a slightly modified cat-stance served nicely. literally. would put enough downspin on the ball to drop it right over the net in between the first and second row, with a pretty sharp angle. just because it's me, i thought, well, i'm already using a cat-fist plus cat-stance so why not?

i yelled a big NIYAU! (japanese for meow) just before i served. it was a perfect serve, but it didn't matter, cause all the japanese kids were laughing too hard at the sight of this big gaijin niyau'ing. wound up scoring 13 in a row before i missed plus assorted other points over the course of the games, all due to extreme laughter. a dramatic pause before i yelled would start them cracking up in anticipation, even. i eventually knocked it off, so that they would stop calling me a cheater. ^^ i retorted that they didn't have to laugh so much, i mean, it was like more than 20 times now, right? the novelty should have worn off by then.

that pretty much sealed my fate, but the final nail in the deal was when i was writing this one letter, and had a reason for needing a visual symbolic representation of myself and thought of the nicknames. so i made a rainbow kitty drawing (the one i still use to this day) and my destiny was decided. everyone started calling me nijineko or rainbowkitty. i've used it for pretty much everything since. eventually i found a last name as well. but that's a different story.

Ben Rostoker
08-31-2008, 04:54 PM
chex the untoasted. because i don't like it when they cook it for the chex mix, but love it in "raw" cereal form. but a character named such might not last long. i imagine that dragons would take it as a challenge. ^^

the "tail" of nijineko:

Thats a nice story. :)

Mead
08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Mead is my longest-run character, a Chaotic Retarded fighter. Started him in 1992, played regularly for 6 years or so, then sporadically as time permitted. Over time I adopted the persona shell (I try not to act CR, and I like to think my Int and Wis are above 6 and 8 respectively) for my online activities, and even tend to answer to the name in RL nowadays. Hell, I even have a vanity car license plate with it.

That and a secondary character from one of Isaac Asimov's novels, Janov Pelorat. Been using all of those online for close to 15 years now. So if you see a Mead, Janov, or Pelorat running around anywhere else on the net, chances are decent that it's me.

nijineko
08-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Thats a nice story. :)

which one? the cereal character name or the "tail"? :D

Ben Rostoker
08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
which one? the cereal character name or the "tail"? :D

Tail lol

drewshi
09-01-2008, 03:52 AM
My last name's Drew and my friends have been calling me Drewshi since high school.

Chi
09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
One of my favorite charectors, also the name of a girl in my favorite manga, and my ferrets name and has become my nickname.

Webhead
09-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I was creating a user account in the early days of the first version of the Atomic Think Tank (the Mutants & Masterminds message boards) and I needed to come up with a name that was both easy to remember and appropriately "super hero-y". Spider-Man was always my favorite, so I thought about all the nicknames that old Spidey had and "web-head" sprung to mind. It was short, catchy and wasn't already taken, so it stuck.

Since then, I've used it as my username for most of my internet personas both for consistency, recognizability and because remembering multiple usernames and passwords gets irritating.

Webhead
09-04-2008, 03:02 PM

And let's not forget Kaptain Krunch, the sledge-wielding barbarian...

tesral
09-04-2008, 05:11 PM
And let's not forget Kaptain Krunch, the sledge-wielding barbarian...

Point, I missed that one and it's soooo obvious.

Dimthar
09-08-2008, 08:54 PM
"Dimthar Buthilic" was the name of my 2nd ADnD character, a Human Bard, he was born after my first character an Elven Thief was "Cloned" by a friend who started playing with us. He started with a Dog named "Sulfuro" (Sulfur in English). It was my most beloved character and the one I played the longest.

As you may have guessed by now, I have a BS in Chemistry.

Later in his career he became "Sir Dimthar Buthilic".

kirksmithicus
09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
First name + Last name + icus.

Originated during a game of Presidents and A$$h*le$ in college. I was the A and one of my extremely drunk female college roommates kept yelling "drink you ****** slave ***** *****!" at me the whole time. Long story short, I ended up being president later on and this some how translated into a slave rebellion ala Sparticus in her head, and the nickname Smithicus emerged. :D

Freejack
09-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm a big fan of tech and Cyberpunk and have been since I first read William Gibson's Neuromancer.

When I got back into gaming (see my history in my profile), it was originally to get rid of the stuff I had no plan on running and enjoy what was left if possible. So I signed up on several forums with throwaway screen names. Once I actually started playing and then running Shadowrun, our Meetup site was spotted and I got invited here. I happen to really like the movie Freejack (as cheesy as it is :) ) so I snagged the handle.

My most common screen name is dm_gsxr weirdly enough. dm for Dungeon Master, which I haven't done for years, and gsxr for the Suzuki bike of that name. Although I ride a Hayabusa now (gsx1300r :) ). Folks on the bike sites call me "damn gixxer" when we meet :D

Carl

MuslixtheMighty
09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Although I ride a Hayabusa now (gsx1300r :) ).

Does it come with a complimentary Dragon sword?

Freejack
09-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Not that I'm aware of although I did get it used.

(Reference?)

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Mead is my longest-run character, a Chaotic Retarded fighter. Started him in 1992, played regularly for 6 years or so, then sporadically as time permitted. Over time I adopted the persona shell (I try not to act CR, and I like to think my Int and Wis are above 6 and 8 respectively) for my online activities, and even tend to answer to the name in RL nowadays. Hell, I even have a vanity car license plate with it.

That and a secondary character from one of Isaac Asimov's novels, Janov Pelorat. Been using all of those online for close to 15 years now. So if you see a Mead, Janov, or Pelorat running around anywhere else on the net, chances are decent that it's me.
I played a dim fighter once. He had an overinflated sense of self-worth. His perspective of the world and the events found within always gave others a double-take whenever he made a comment... which was quite often... very opinionated, he was. He was a blast to play. Low stats are great when getting into a characters quirks.

Thoth-Amon

MuslixtheMighty
09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Not that I'm aware of although I did get it used.

(Reference?)

Carl

Ryu Hayabusa is the name of the ninja from the Ninja Gaiden series. He was the last of the Dragon clan and wielded the famed Dragon sword. Did I say dragon enough?

Farcaster
09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I may have explained this before, I don't recall. When I first got into the online scenes (BBS's at the time), I went by Zagyg. Later on, when I tried to start an account on AOL back in the 1996 time period, that alias was already taken. At the time, I had just finished reading a book called "Hyperion," by Dan Simmons. It was a futuristic setting in which these linked portals were setup that allowed travelers to move intravenously between vast distances throughout the galaxy through what was known as the "WorldWeb." World Wide Web made me think of this book. Now, travelers who used one of these portals were said to "farcast." Thus, the name seemed to fit well for my first introduction to the great WWW.

Mead
09-10-2008, 08:00 PM
The Hyperion series was indeed excellent.

nijineko
09-10-2008, 09:34 PM
what little i remember of the hyperion setting was the headache i got trying to read it, and the "borrow usage of what's not really being used anyway" bit. i eventually skim-skipped over large portions of the book just to save my head, and got to the point towards the end. i couldn't bring myself to read the next in the series, or any other of his books for that matter. once burned, twice shy. perhaps i was a bit young to be trying those books, i'm thinking.

nonetheless, i think that's a very cool association for the nick. oddly enough, dragonstar uses the same term for star travel, if i recall correctly.

Foki Firefinger
09-25-2008, 01:19 AM
My site name has some little stories about it. I went to a gamers convention in Boise and was given a strange nametag. The nametag consisted of the first two letters of my last name and the first two letters of my given name. Thus the name Fo+KI was born. I thought--cool--that sounds like a good name for a character so when I rolled up a human magic-user that stood under 5 feet tall, I called her Foki. Now the name Firefinger is a little more stranger. When I first gamed with Foki, we were using first edition AD&D along with Unearthed Arcana. Thus, little Foki was armed with 4 cantrips instead of a 1st level spell. After a little adventure. the prudish Foki and her fellow companions celebrated aat the local tavern, in which the innocent Foki got promptly plastered. To pull a cruel joke on little Foki, one of the males in the group carried her upstairs and strip her naked and himself, but just went to sleep in the same bed (Oh my gosh! He didnt touch her!!). Next morning, the poor hung-overed Foki woke up with the male character getting out of bed and just starting to pull on his trousers. So I told the game master that I was going to chant my firefinger spell and then...... Firefinger up his butt!!!

nijineko
09-25-2008, 01:33 AM
flaming morning after kancho!!!

boulet
09-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks, I needed this mental image to start the day

boulet searches youtube for cute bunny videos

MuslixtheMighty
09-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Here is your video of bunnies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPb0po2jzfg

boulet
09-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Cool video :D At least he's kicking asses, not sticking fingers... well you know

PS : funny that quoting a [ roll] makes for a second roll

MortonStromgal
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
My name comes from the time my DM forced us to all play dwarves (I hated dwarves) so I made Morton Stromgal the Fighter... Fast forward to 3.0 and the party needed a cleric and I drew the short straw. So I maded Morton Stromgal the Dwarven Cleric (because I really didn't care). Slowly I started to like the cleric and the dwarf and now even my WoW accont has old morty the paladin.

Webhead
09-25-2008, 10:29 AM
My name comes from the time my DM forced us to all play dwarves (I hated dwarves) so I made Morton Stromgal the Fighter... Fast forward to 3.0 and the party needed a cleric and I drew the short straw. So I maded Morton Stromgal the Dwarven Cleric (because I really didn't care). Slowly I started to like the cleric and the dwarf and now even my WoW accont has old morty the paladin.

The next Dwarf I play will be named Beardy McBeard. Sadly, that name is one letter too long to use as a WoW name...I've already tried.

If not that, he will be Sir Beardington. Haven't completely decided. No D&D game in the near future though, so I've got time.

tesral
09-25-2008, 10:32 AM
The next Dwarf I play will be named Beardy McBeard. Sadly, that name is one letter too long to use as a WoW name...I've already tried.

If not that, he will be Sir Beardington. Haven't completely decided. No D&D game in the near future though, so I've got time.

Bald as a billiard ball of course.

Webhead
09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Bald as a billiard ball of course.

Of course. Actually...born a hairless albino...

Foki Firefinger
09-25-2008, 04:14 PM
The coolest name one of the people in my group ever came up with was a human cleric named Scrotomious Testeclees. (Sorry, I cant remember the original spelling, but u get the picture)

Webhead
09-25-2008, 04:22 PM
The coolest name one of the people in my group ever came up with was a human cleric named Scrotomious Testeclees. (Sorry, I cant remember the original spelling, but u get the picture)

Funny. I've heard something similar before.

There was a character in a Tales from the Floating Vagabond game named Krashputnik Kravaschlot. I found that one amusing.

Oh, and a Star Wars character named Cobb Nobbler. Yeesh!

spotlight
09-25-2008, 07:01 PM
One player I remember had a Bard name Billington Wigglestaff. It was several weeks before I got the joke, The Bard, William Shakespear........

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Funny. I've heard something similar before.

There was a character in a Tales from the Floating Vagabond game named Krashputnik Kravaschlot. I found that one amusing.

Oh, and a Star Wars character named Cobb Nobbler. Yeesh!
If ever you listened to the The Greaseman, a radio personality, then you've heard of something similar. (;

nijineko
09-26-2008, 12:30 AM

how about a puppy (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ett3_hong-kong-phooey-remasterized-the-m_shortfilms)?

boulet
09-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks that was nice ! I'll have sweet canine martial art dreams :)

MortonStromgal
09-26-2008, 09:56 AM

One of my players was Justin Time... I always said he should have saved that for a Superheros game and not a Vampire game :lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm going to have to use that name for my Gnome in an upcoming campaign. Good stuff.

nijineko
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks that was nice ! I'll have sweet canine martial art dreams :)

you are most welcome. i was always fond of hong kong phooey. ^^

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-26-2008, 01:29 PM
you are most welcome. i was always fond of hong kong phooey. ^^
Hey now, dont forget to give Underdog his props.

http://www.memphismemories.org/Topics/Radio_TV/1960s_Network_TV/underdog.jpg

Webhead
09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey now, dont forget to give Underdog his props.

Underdog was alright, but Hong Kong Phooey was the Number 1 Super Guy! ;)

1958Fury
09-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I just tend to use this name on a lot of boards. It started as a Stephen King reference.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Underdog was alright, but Hong Kong Phooey was the Number 1 Super Guy! ;)
Well i dont know about that. Did Hong Kong Fooey ever beat Overcat? No, I think not. I rest my case. LOL

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/515GJEWWD8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

nijineko
09-26-2008, 05:28 PM
well, i've always been fond of underdog too. ^^ they each have their own areas of expertise.

Freejack
09-26-2008, 06:41 PM
One of my players was Justin Time... I always said he should have saved that for a Superheros game and not a Vampire game :lol:

We have a guy here at worked named "Justin Tyme". We had a "Chris Little" recently leave the company too. Back where I used to work, we had an "Andrea Hooker". (For the last two, think of login accounts :D ).

Carl

GoddessGood
02-16-2009, 10:45 AM
At a company my boyfriend (name of Z. Christenson) used to work at his login ID was AZChrist. Seeing this, he showed it to his boss and proclaimed "I am the Alpha and the Omega." The boss was not amused. He will occasionally get his named shortened on checks at restaurants to his first name + Christ. Sometimes, we have debates over who gets to be the real Jesus (please stand up). This is because, since I was born on Dec. 3rd, I was the perfect age to play the baby Jesus in the church nativity play. I'll occasionally ask my mother if she really intended to give me a god complex, just to crack her up.

The above, plus my upbringing as a preacher's kid, contributed to my handle. In Methodist services (especially youth services), you'll ocassionally have a refrain that goes like this

Leader: God is good
Congregation: All the time!
Leader: All the time
Congregation: God is good!

So, being the rebellious type of preacher's kid, I decided that it would be appropriately irreverent to go by "goddess good" instead of "god is good". I went by LaCuranderaGuera a couple of times during the same period I created this handle. For those of you non spanish speakers, it's a word play on "white witch." A guera is a pale hispanic female (or a caucasian acting like one; can be derogatory), and a curandera is a (usually) benevolent folk healer/witch.