PDA

View Full Version : Keep on the Shadowfell -- Your Experience? (Spoiler Alert!)

Grimwell
08-28-2008, 12:50 AM
I was given Keep on the Shadowfell this week as a more than subtle hint that I should get my 4E game going and run the module. Since it's been out for a while, I'd like to ask those of you who have GM'ed or played through the module what you thought as you did so.

What worked really well? What failed horribly? What changes were necessary to keep the flow going and make it all viable?

I've done my first read through on it and I see a clean skeleton to hang a campaign kickoff around, but nothing amazingly fantastic. With the right mood and motivations the final encounter could be pretty intense, and the ones leading up to it look fun too... but I don't see any mind blowing ideas either.

Which makes it fine for a kickstart, but I'd love to know what others found as they played through it. If you did, please spoil me! ;)

Grimwell
08-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Nobody? :(

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Currently playing a character in it and i like it so far. Will make a more thorough report shortly.

Thoth-Amon

Kalanth
08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I stayed away from it because the modules look so shody quality wise for a rediculous fee. Compare that to how the books are, the amazing quality of the DM Screen, and that the fact that WoTC was putting out hardcover modules and other good quality ones at the end of 3.5 it all adds up to me avoiding modules that are store bought till they improve.

Grimwell
08-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Can you start a separate thread about the DM's screen? I had to resist the urge to buy on that one ;)

Kalanth
08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Can you start a separate thread about the DM's screen? I had to resist the urge to buy on that one ;)

Give in, man, give in!

As for the Shadowfell, the only thing I have ever heard is that if your party struggles getting the hang of working together they may not get past Irontooth. Some make short work of him, some TPK there, I have heard both.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 07:37 PM
This is very, very true, the party *must* work as a team or you will most likely be tpk'd.

Thoth-Amon

Grimwell
08-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Hmmm, I like that. I like parties that work as a team. :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 07:56 PM
A good rule with DnD4.0 should be: You shine, you die! ...along with the rest of your party. It really is a team effort/game.

Thoth-Amon

Tamerath
08-31-2008, 03:11 AM
Okay Grimwell here's my report:

I've both played and dmed this module. While I've only gotten about 40% through it with Thoth-Amon and our gaming group, I also DMed a little of it before turning it over for my step son to try his hand at DMing. I think honestly...it's great for beginners and as a playtest for the new 4th edition rules...but you are right. There's just a tiny bit of roleplaying and story involved. Most of the really juicy stuff only you will know as DM Background. BUT...I'd say if you've never given 4.0 a try..it's not too shabby. I especially like the Realms conversion they did on Wizards site (they have an Ebberon conversion as well). Oh, as for my Step Son DMing I'd say the system really does shine as he's picking it up extremely well. I'm very proud of him.

P.S. I don't remember the post thread I was in a while back...but someone recommended the new Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path...Scales of something. I read through the first module and I gotta tell you it is pretty awesome...They have (if I remember correctly) 3 parts to it so far and a Dragon Magazine article with Background Feats (or powers?) and the like to really spice up your 4th Edition level 1's. You'd have to take a look at it as I've tried to keep myself from devouring the modules as they come out so other DMs in my group can run it and I'll be surprised.

I was given Keep on the Shadowfell this week as a more than subtle hint that I should get my 4E game going and run the module. Since it's been out for a while, I'd like to ask those of you who have GM'ed or played through the module what you thought as you did so.

What worked really well? What failed horribly? What changes were necessary to keep the flow going and make it all viable?

I've done my first read through on it and I see a clean skeleton to hang a campaign kickoff around, but nothing amazingly fantastic. With the right mood and motivations the final encounter could be pretty intense, and the ones leading up to it look fun too... but I don't see any mind blowing ideas either.

Which makes it fine for a kickstart, but I'd love to know what others found as they played through it. If you did, please spoil me! ;)

DeathByDM
09-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Even with giving my players a few extra point buy points and being pretty flexible with the rules, this adventure has proven very challenging. We've already had a few deaths. Sure, one of them came from my insertion of a small dragon at level 1, and a couple have come from players committing virtual suicide in order to try new characters, but there was one particular encounter that proved deadly.

WARNING - SPOILER

I speak of the encounter in the keep in which the players face two drakes and several goblins. I was rolling particularly well for this fight, but I must admit that the drakes are extremely powerful. The party ultimately survived only because they found a high ground where the drakes could not reach and they used ranged weapons to finally dispatch them.

Overall, I really like this adventure. I've found that the maps provided are pretty good and those that aren't included are pretty easily drawn. Almost all of the encounters have been challenging and interesting and the mix of monsters is good.

Some changes I made: When we got to the kobold hideout, I had a small problem. There were supposed to be a whole horde of kobolds. Unfortunately, I didn't have nearly enough minis that looked even close to kobolds. So, I asked my players if they'd like to fight a whole bunch of creatures or one big one. They chose poorly. My green dragon handily wiped the floor with them and only one was left standing at the end of the fight. I fudged a few rolls and did not use the dragon's flight at all, so ultimately they finished the beast. It was a bit much for level 1, I admit, but what is D&D without the dragons?

I altered the keep a bit. I took out the part with the kruthiks that the goblins had to place pit traps to stop and I moved the blue slime to another area so the players would have to face it.

I added a slaver ambush when the players returned to town, just before the battle in the graveyard (this was one provided by WoTC). I wanted to tie in Thunderspire a little more, since that will be the next adventure I run.

Overall, I really like this adventure and I feel like it is getting more fun each session. We've been able to get through 3-4 encounters in a 4 hour session, so it's moved along at a decent pace. I'm looking forward to them delving further into the 2nd level of the keep as much as they are.

I'm looking for ways to include some of my bigger, more interesting miniatures into battles down the road. I hate to see them sitting there collecting dust. Unfortunately, I won't be breaking out Purple Worms or giants any time soon. They are level 3 so they can probably take on a young white, black, or green dragon. Deathjump spiders might be fun...

One thing that's interesting to note: my party now consists of only two races, Dragonborn and Eladrin. I think they're both overpowered.