PDA

View Full Version : Character Thread

Webhead
08-27-2008, 04:19 PM
This is the place where important character sheets (PC and NPC) will go.

Ben Rostoker
08-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Can you show us how a Wushu character sheet looks like?

Webhead
08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Can you show us how a Wushu character sheet looks like?

Yes, I can. I've actually created my own Avatar Wushu character sheets as a Word file but I don't think there's any way that I can upload them here directly. Regardless, here's a couple of sample characters from the Star Wars Wushu to give you an idea of what they will look like:

Name: Grivo Doul
Chi: 3
Traits: Bounty Hunter 5, Star Pilot 4, Jedi-Hunting 3
Weakness: Socially Inept

-----

Name: Anabara Geb
Traits: Jedi 4, Investigator 4, Historian 4
Weakness: Blind

-----

Name: Kirzuki
Traits: Crazy Wookie Freak-out 5, Diplomacy 3, Mrs. Fixit 4
Weakness: Wookie Speak (player must make wookie sounds and pass notes to talk)

As you can see, each Wushu character is primarily comprised of three elements. Chi, which represents your "persistence" and ability to overcome adversity; Traits, which are your skills, backgrounds and special talents that you have; and a Weakness which is some form of major hindrance for your character.

For this campaign, all characters begin with 6 points for Traits and all characters have 3 Chi. Each of the Bending arts is governed by its own Trait. No character may start with more than a single Bending style but it may be possible to develop others later (it is known to be exceedingly rare and difficult for Benders to master more than a single style, but it is not unheard of).

boulet
08-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Here is one (http://www.bayn.org/wushu/WushuCS.pdf). It's more about what's on your mind than on your sheet I'd say.

Boulet goes into a back flip above his laptop computer while grabbing a soda can and drops a flamboyant "I only need to flesh a character now" as he sits on his seat.

(pretty fast GM, must have fast typer 5)

Webhead
08-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Here it is (http://www.bayn.org/wushu/WushuCS.pdf). It's more about what's on your mind than on your sheet I'd say.

Boulet goes into a back flip above his laptop computer while grabbing a soda can and drops a flamboyant "I only need to flesh a character now" as he sits on his seat.

Thanks for the link, boulet. Please, use this thread as a sounding board for your ideas so that I can help give you feedback and make you feel comfortable that you're playing to the themes and styles of the setting. :)

Ben Rostoker
08-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Name: Kiuy Tan
Traits: Earthbending 4, Hunting 3, Diplomacy 3, Guile 4
Weakness: Poor
Hows that for a character?

boulet
08-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Actually weaknesses are the only trait that have a numerical value of 1.

Traits you didn't invest into have a value of 2. So if I understand correctly you have to add 2 to each of your traits.

Webhead
08-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Actually weaknesses are the only trait that have a numerical value of 1.

Traits you didn't invest into have a value of 2. So if I understand correctly you have to add 2 to each of your traits.

Correct. So, Ben, your final character sheet will look like this:

My only question for you is about your "Guile" trait. Am I correct in assuming that it is relating to skill in deceit and obfuscation? Just wanting to make sure I had a clear understanding of what the trait represents.

boulet
08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Name : Musashi
Chi : 3
Traits : Waterbending 3, Divination 4, Aikido 4, Endurance 3
Weakness : Stuttering
Musashi is a tall and fat man (6'3 and more than 400 lbs). He was born in the Northern Water Tribe and his family is famous in the fields of whaling and sailing. Bullied and humiliated by his siblings because he didn't care for the bloody family business, he had numerous issues related to anger and temper. Musashi found an escape by trying to become a disciple of a very pious old woman who was an authority both in divination and defensive matial techniques. The old woman refused him as a disciple at first, claiming she would only train girls. But after three months of watching the teenager sitting in front of her tent, her cold resolution transformed into warm affection and she finally accepted the stubborn boy among her followers.

Musashi has developed a stuttering while he shed his old angry ways for a more peaceful way of life. He doesn't stutter all the time, mostly when dealing with women (his master was an exception) or when the target of jokes and bullies. In a way his voice is the sacrifice on the altar of peace and calm. Waterbending is an ability he developed spontaneously when entering adolescence but he never practised it rigorously so he's still quite a beginner at it.

Ben Rostoker
08-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Correct. So, Ben, your final character sheet will look like this:

My only question for you is about your "Guile" trait. Am I correct in assuming that it is relating to skill in deceit and obfuscation? Just wanting to make sure I had a clear understanding of what the trait represents.

Yep thats what I meant.

Webhead
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Yep thats what I meant.

Great. Let me know if you need help on building your character background. It just needs to be a paragraph or two like boulet's. Post that when you can. :)

Ben Rostoker
08-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Kiuy Tan is of average height for his people and has a slender build. He was born to a poor family of farmers in one of the more eastern provinces. He was never very good at working on the family farm which led to some confrontations with his parents. Eventually they decided to send him away to gain some life skills and hopefully make a better life for himself.

While on the road he quickly learned how to hunt for small game and found it a fairly effective means of providing for himself. Unfortunately with no support from others he soon fell ill once the first winter came. He was taken in by a roaming band of Earth Benders who found him unconsciencious in the snow and took pity on him. They taught him the art of Earthbending and Kiuy Tan helped provide food for them in return once the spring came. Eventually he outstayed his welcome and once again hit the road.

After spending a season working and learning with others he came to the idea that he could survive on the road longer by depending on the kindness of strangers. From then on when winter came he would gather up what food and supplies he could and would try to negotiate with citizens of nearby towns for room and board for the season. While he was usually successful in this endeavour the odd town or two would refuse him stay, forcing him to con the house owners into letting him stay by posing as various officials from the Earth Kingdom. It usually would only take a month or so before he was found out and would once again be on the road; this time for his life. When he can't out run/manoeuvre his pursuers he resorts to his knowledge of Earth Bending to keep him alive.

Webhead
08-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Looks great. I'm making preparations to begin the game within the next several days. Are there any questions that either of you have about your characters, the world or anything else before we start?

Ben Rostoker
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Looks great. I'm making preparations to begin the game within the next several days. Are there any questions that either of you have about your characters, the world or anything else before we start?

Not at the moment. Wait, what do people generally eat?

nijineko
08-29-2008, 06:00 PM
food?

;D

Webhead
08-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Not at the moment. Wait, what do people generally eat?

In response to your inquiry please see the new section of cultural information that I posted to the Campaign Materials thread. :)

Ben Rostoker
08-30-2008, 06:12 PM
In response to your inquiry please see the new section of cultural information that I posted to the Campaign Materials thread. :)

Thanks. Good reading.

MuslixtheMighty
10-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Name: Qhou Jin
Traits: Alpha of the food Chain* 4, Wits sharp as a knife 4, Cooking up a conversation 4.
Weakness: Heat in the Kitchen**
(* Fights with a weighted chain. ** Loves to fight a little too much.)

Jin stands at 5'9" with a weight of 150 pounds. He lives and works with his parents at a roadside noodle shack. He both helps his father with the cooking or his mother with waiting on customers but he is also in charge of going to the local farmers and towns to pick up food and supplies.

It is not uncommon for customers to try and run off with paying their bill or muscle their way out of it, and even though his parents frown upon it, Jin always try to make them pay one way or another. He aquired his chain from one cheapstake that tried to run and self taught himself with the weapon.