PDA

View Full Version : Truth & Justice

ronpyatt
08-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Truth & Justic has been, by far, the best RPG I've tried for playing comic superheroes.
Have you ever had trouble creating your ideal superhero?
Did the powers not match up with what you had in mind?
Did the mechanics get in the way of your creative flow?
Want to play the Justice League with PC's as powerful as Superman along side weaker powered characters such as Gleek the space monkey? In T&J it's not only Doable but Playable!

One of the greatest strengths behind the system's sustainability is it's use of Hooks derived from character Qualities during encounters. With these hooks, GM's can create a practically endless supply of adventure. Each encounter creates a story hook for each PC that takes any kind of hit. At the same time the hooks directly relate to the PC's, which integrates the characters more fully into the world.

Easy character creation. For example, Twinstar is a micro-wave powered super that can fly, shoot beams of microwave heat, has super strength, can become pure light, and other hidden racial powers due to the cosmic radiation put out by our sun. She's an alien from Notpyrk, a planet that has a blue sun, which gives off a phase variance radiation that makes her normal, loosing all her powers when exposed to it.

Character: Twinstar
Powers: Notpyrkien racial powers - microwave manipulation, flight, super strength, and other mysterious powers [6] Master.
Qualities: Street Gambler [2] Good, Dance Instructor [2] Good, Commissioner's Adopted Daughter [4] Expert, Code of Justice [-2] Poor.
Vulnerability: Phase Variance blue radiation.

That's pretty much it for the character creation. Add some colorful history and she's ready to play.

On her first adventure she faced off with Cryopop, who was trying to freeze up the city's water supply. She quickly round up Cryopop's minions but was struck blind with a Flurry of Snow from the villain. Twinstar took the hit and the player marked off the first point of damage and applied it to the Dance Instructor Quality.
Oh! OH! A story hook involving her Dance Instructor Quality had just been created. That means a near future encounter will now involve one of her students or perhaps the building where she teaches.

Have you had a chance to play Truth & Justice?

Webhead
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
...Have you had a chance to play Truth & Justice?

I've not played T&J, but I've been intrigued by it ever since I first heard about it. I like PDQ on which T&J is based, so I can see myself probably enjoying the game a great deal. The biggest obstacle, then, is my group who are not terribly enthusiastic about playing supers games.

If you like T&J, you may also like another "light and breezy" supers game that I discovered called Supercrew. Ever heard of it? I bought Supercrew a little while back and have been looking for an excuse to run it ever since.

Skunkape
08-27-2008, 09:04 AM
I haven't played it either but I'll have to check it out.

ronpyatt
08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Supercrew looks like a fun game. Any powers you want. No death. 3 tier power structure. This means reckless stunts to be had by all. Save the city!

Webhead
08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Supercrew looks like a fun game. Any powers you want. No death. 3 tier power structure. This means reckless stunts to be had by all. Save the city!

And the entire book is written in comic book panels! :D

guardian1968
10-07-2009, 12:32 AM
I own it and the LEGENDS WALK supplements (not to mention the supplement that has all the possibilites if H. P. Lovecraft wrote comics), but I can't find anyone interested enough to play. I love the system and the potential for easy rules and more time to game.

Apparently people are more used to spending hours upon hours in creating a character for a game that is so rules heavy that it's a wonder they get anything done with all those modifier charts while in combat.

*ahem* my snobbery aside, I think the simplicity is what I like best about T&J...the same reason why I continue to love Classic Marvel...