PDA

View Full Version : General Gaming - trying to start a group

mattcaron
08-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Edit 20080907: As this has developed, it looks like we're going to be playing online, because some of the group is old college buddies. Right now, we're tentatively at 6 players, which is a good number for me (4-6 players is ideal). Anyone else who is interested is welcome to contact me, and you'll be "wait listed".

Original Message:

I'm looking to start a general gaming group. We'll likely pick and play an RPG (I have lots, and will run pretty much anything - see rule #2) with other pickup games (miniatures, Wii, whatever) if someone can't make it that night. I'm looking for players to start this group.

The two hard and fast rules:
- You can't be allergic to cats if we play in my house (I have 7)
- If gunpowder or steam power has not been invented yet in the game world, I'm not interested.

Some game (or game system) ideas:
- Deadlands (original or reloaded)
- D20 Modern
- Shadowrun
- Savage Worlds
- Spirit of the Century
- Dread
- Dogs in the Vineyard
- The Savage World of Solomon Kane
- anything folks want to play

MuslixtheMighty
08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
There has always been a spot in my heart for Steam-punk and Pulp styled RPGs. My GM has a copy of Spirit of the Century and I "borrowed" it from his collection when him and his wife were in the hospital for the birth of his daughter. I really liked it, especially with how they bring the players together.

mattcaron
08-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, SoTC is really good.

I could drop into a whole discussion about what I was searching for in roleplaying and how I thought it was more complexity and crunch, and hated "loose" rule sets, and ultimately my journey was rather circular in that it led back to and even more loose rule set than that with which I started, but I won't.

My two favorite "general" rulesets are probably SoTC and Savage Worlds (the former being more "story" and the latter being more "action"), but there is always a special place in my heart for Shadowrun... and Deadlands. :-)

mortalsavior
09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Looking to getting into some gaming myself, and open to try new worlds, as i've only really tried one. I have a place to play but no transporation sadly.. and 4 cat :-D If i can find a way there (bus or w.e) i'll be there.

MuslixtheMighty
09-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah, SoTC is really good.

I could drop into a whole discussion about what I was searching for in roleplaying and how I thought it was more complexity and crunch, and hated "loose" rule sets, and ultimately my journey was rather circular in that it led back to and even more loose rule set than that with which I started, but I won't.

My two favorite "general" rulesets are probably SoTC and Savage Worlds (the former being more "story" and the latter being more "action"), but there is always a special place in my heart for Shadowrun... and Deadlands. :-)

Deadlands does rock, especially Hell on Earth.

mattcaron
09-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Deadlands does rock, especially Hell on Earth.

Definitely.

Also, if you liked classic Deadlands, check out Deadlands:Reloaded. It is a setting/theme/plot/etc for Savage Worlds.

mars2024
10-07-2008, 03:31 PM
If you're still looking for online players, I'm very interested. I've only played D20M and Shadowrun, but I'm a quick study. Let me know if you have room.

mattcaron
10-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Actually, this has been fairly slow to get started, and yes, there is still room. Drop me an email through the tool and I'll give you the background and let you know how things are shaking out.