PDA

View Full Version : what was your oddest character you ever made

death666life
08-26-2008, 02:33 PM
for fun who was tha odd ball you came up with? it dont matter what game you had played him or her in.

Mine would have to be dizzy the pot smoking warewolf in WWTA
he was the only person that knew that right path to go on but he had to be stoned to see it and if he had no pot left hes pet bird would fly in and give him a bag:lol:

Webhead
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
I know I've mentioned him before but: Anas Platyrhynchos.

Deep-umbral vengeance spirit given the form of a demonic duck by the terrifying campfire stories of bird hunters in the Louisiana swamps. His purpose on Earth was to terrorize hunters and protect all avian-kind. Napalm breath, invisibility, spirit travel, magic resistance, wall-walking and a mesmerizing gaze...all packed into an otherwise inconspicuous 1-foot tall, 4-pound, feathered package. ;)

death666life
08-26-2008, 02:57 PM
:fencing:nice

boulet
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
/me is confuzed

Is it World of darkness or Glorantha ?

Webhead
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
/me is confuzed

Is it World of darkness or Glorantha ?

Mine was a WoD character...amalgam game.

death666life
08-26-2008, 03:03 PM
it doesnt matter hell it could be someone you made on your PC in games like WoW

Stormcrow77
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Mogo the Tree Lord.
Gnome druid who ended up opening a fast food resturant in level 10 of undermountain.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I had a Kobold that wanted, or thought, he was a human. He was brought up since birth by a wizard as well as trained by said wizard. Thing is, the wizard never mentioned to him that humans and the like didnt care for his species. His name was Trigger and over time he found er...um... acceptance amongst certain groups, but that was all. That's okay though, he was big into research and the local wizard school kind of liked having him around. There was alot more to it but i will spare you the details. Last i played him he was level 11 and was faculty for the wizard school and an honorary member of a prestigious wizard guild.

Did he ever get to go out in public? No, he never found acceptance like Drizzt. He always used his magic to mask his true appearance, but he didnt care. He was happy and respected in his circle.

Thoth-Amon

Banshee
01-01-2009, 04:00 AM
So many... my first VTM character was a Brujah who was a stereotypical punk. Later became obsessed with feeding while on board any form of public mass transit. Fun. Obviously the Prince did not find this too amusing. RIP, "Jake".

Soft Serve
01-01-2009, 05:03 AM
A shadowrun troll that specialized in rooftop breaching.

By specialized I mean he loved heights, would go to any length to get there, and more often then not would enjoy standing on the skylights crashing into the building below.

Needless to say we threw together some cliche' crap and brought him back to life only to repeat the process a few times.

the characters then put funds into making a jetpack for him, which he used to act like a pigeon and poop on rich peoples cars, only to wait for them and have them pay him to clean the misfortune off their windshield.

Then he would, instead of cleaning it, use the jetpack and fly away.

Get-rich quick schemes don't work? PFFT.

Banshee
01-02-2009, 02:53 AM
A shadowrun troll that specialized in rooftop breaching.

By specialized I mean he loved heights, would go to any length to get there, and more often then not would enjoy standing on the skylights crashing into the building below.

Needless to say we threw together some cliche' crap and brought him back to life only to repeat the process a few times.

the characters then put funds into making a jetpack for him, which he used to act like a pigeon and poop on rich peoples cars, only to wait for them and have them pay him to clean the misfortune off their windshield.

Then he would, instead of cleaning it, use the jetpack and fly away.

Get-rich quick schemes don't work? PFFT.

Funny. Disturbing, but funny!:laugh:
--- Merged from Double Post ---

I had a Kobold that wanted, or thought, he was a human. He was brought up since birth by a wizard as well as trained by said wizard. Thing is, the wizard never mentioned to him that humans and the like didnt care for his species. His name was Trigger and over time he found er...um... acceptance amongst certain groups, but that was all. That's okay though, he was big into research and the local wizard school kind of liked having him around. There was alot more to it but i will spare you the details. Last i played him he was level 11 and was faculty for the wizard school and an honorary member of a prestigious wizard guild.

Did he ever get to go out in public? No, he never found acceptance like Drizzt. He always used his magic to mask his true appearance, but he didnt care. He was happy and respected in his circle.

Thoth-Amon

That sounds like a good character to have played. Very well thought out, and with obvious challenges and pitfalls. Good work.

Soft Serve
01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Should this be in general chatter? I didn't really think of it until now, but it doesn't seem specific to the Horror/Dark Future genre.

akela122301
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't know if this counts, but I assume everyone is aware of the hell hounds, and maybe their more powerful version, the Nessian Warhound?

Well, for my upcoming play by post, I created the counterparts to the above (both versions). They are the Frosthound and the Glacian Warhound.

Now, I know that one of the differences is obvious, that they deal cold damage instead of fire. However, they also have a good alignment, instead of evil.

Anyway, there's my two coppers on this topic.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Played an 80 plus year old, long-haired(what he still had of it), 6'7" 110 lbs albino wizard once... aging rules applied. He had a great back story and his picture was similar to this one, except he was albino. Here he is in this pic: http://boutillon.free.fr/Underground/Jeux/Muryaden/Origine/Jeux/Livres/add/ADD_Players_Handbook_Old_p1.jpg

Soft Serve
01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I recognize that book amazingly.

Considering it's way older than I am...

I read through it at my cousin's house because his dad had a copy. 3.5 looks so much easier to handle then those rules. And people are complaining about 3.5 now like it's the worst thing in the world. :D

ChaunceyK
01-05-2009, 01:27 AM
My oddest character ever...well, none of my D&D characters were ever odd enough worth mentioning. Maybe a few quirks in their personalities, but that was really just flavoring. Although I did have a pyromaniac rogue PC who once met up with a flatulent paladin NPC (I nicknamed him Sir Flatulancelot).

But since we're talking ALL fantasy characters, I did have a fantasy wrestler in an online e-fed who fits the bill. He started as just a name, a play on the late Junk Yard Dog...he was the Junk Food Kid. Once I came up with that name, character creation just snowballed & it all hit me at once.

He was 6' 3", 395 pounds. He was clearly fat, but surprisingly agile (think Bam Bam Bigelow). He could turn cartwheels, he could perform jumping elbows & knees, he even used a splash from the middle turnbuckle as an occasional finisher. But his specialty was a double powerbomb, the "Double Dip." Oh, and he would also spray a "Kool-Aid Mist," but more on that later.

He had thick black hair, with a very blatant part on the side. He wore a white t-shirt with his favorite wrestler (Pork Chop Cash, of course), navy blue summer shorts with white trim, and instead of boots he wore black socks & sandals...well, the Commissioner stepped in at some point & said they weren't regulation, so he debuted a shiny new pair of boots air-brushed to look like black socks & sandals. (His appearance, btw, was greatly influenced by an old friend who had zero fashion sense.) Essentially, he looked & dressed like an overgrown kid.

So as if all this wasn't gimmick enough, he also acted like an overgrown kid...with a bad case of constant munchies. He'd leave the ring at various points to bum free snacks from the fans. He'd even come out to ringside from the back during other people's matches if he got hungry. And that "Kool-Aid Mist" I mentioned earlier could only be performed if a fan gave him a colored drink & the opponent popped him one in the belly or spun him around real quick, surprising him into doing a spit-take...the key to spraying it was that it had to be an accident, because he would never cheat on purpose. So obviously, he wasn't exactly a main event wrestler, nor was he ever intended to be. He was just for fun, someone who the kiddies could enjoy. In fact, he'd often dance with the kids after a "big win" (which was any win, really) to his theme song "I Want Candy."

So yeah, he was my oddest character ever. Jeez, hadn't thought about him in years. I miss the big lug. The big heels of the game had their fun with him, too...turned him into their stooge years before HHH turned Eugene into his. Remember that angle? Yeah...we did ALOT of stuff before Vince/Bischoff ever did it. And given the relative smallness of the internet back in those days, who knows if we were discovered by someone in Stamford/Atlanta & the goon started taking notes on our storylines? A little paranoid, maybe...but it does makes sense.

Banshee
01-06-2009, 01:38 AM
The Junk Food Kid sounds like a really odd but highly playable character. I'm not familiar with fantasy wrestling, but if he was adapted for and used in D&D games, he'd be very interesting!

You have quite an eye for detail, I must say. The part about the black socks with sandals then boots painted to look like black socks with sandals had me laughing. Nice touch! :laugh:

ChaunceyK
01-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks, Banshee. I really enjoy taking a basic idea for a character & fleshing him/her out. I've got several characters (D&D & wrestling) in my head that've never seen the light of day, just because there isn't enough time to play them all.

Webhead
01-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I think I've mentioned the character elsewhere on these boards, but a friend of mine once tried to pitch me the idea for a superhero character he wanted to play in an M&M game that I was trying to put together. His character's hero name was Stink Bug.

He was a younger guy with a homemade costume that consisted of green tights, a bike helmet with wobbly antennae glue to the top of it and a pair of wings on his back made from wire coat hangers and plastic wrap. Upon meeting the bad guys, he would curl his hands into his shoulders, flap his arms like little wings and...poot...

Yes... That was his crime-fighting technique... He didn't even boast super-powered flatulence like the Spleen or some such. Nope, he was just some kid with really bad gas who wanted to use it to fight crime. :twitch:

ChaunceyK
01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm just discovering HackMaster, and I like the fact that it encourages wackiness. With that in mind, I'm hoping to get into a group & have come up with a basic idea for a pair of characters. Bear in mind, I haven't read all the rules yet, so any of this could be "illegal" or simply subject to change...

Koz, Half-Ogre Cleric. Lawful Good, bible-thumper. Fearsome to look at, but very meek & in all honesty, not very successful at swinging others over to his god/goddess. Given up for adoption by either a human mother or an ogre mother...either of which would have thought him too ugly, regardless. Raised by humans, only he doesn't realize he's not human...everyone else can pretty much tell he's half-ogre, but somehow the subject never comes up.

Greep, Gnomeling Berserker. (I'm pushing for the smallest race that can be a berserker for this one.) Chaotic Good, insanely loyal to Koz & Koz's god/goddess, total spaz. Not much else yet on this one, except that at some point in their history together, Koz & Greep met, and Koz converted Greep to his religion...Koz's only success yet, if you can call it that.

Webhead
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
...Koz, Half-Ogre Cleric. Lawful Good, bible-thumper. Fearsome to look at, but very meek & in all honesty, not very successful at swinging others over to his god/goddess. Given up for adoption by either a human mother or an ogre mother...either of which would have thought him too ugly, regardless. Raised by humans, only he doesn't realize he's not human...everyone else can pretty much tell he's half-ogre, but somehow the subject never comes up.

Greep, Gnomeling Berserker. (I'm pushing for the smallest race that can be a berserker for this one.) Chaotic Good, insanely loyal to Koz & Koz's god/goddess, total spaz. Not much else yet on this one, except that at some point in their history together, Koz & Greep met, and Koz converted Greep to his religion...Koz's only success yet, if you can call it that.

A friend and I tried to recreate Master Blaster in a short-lived Dark Sun campaign several years ago. I was a Half-Giant fighter who was tough and kind-hearted, but a little slow in the head. My friend was a Halfling Psychic Warrior who was the Half-Giant's best friend and the brains of the operation. It was a lot of fun while it lasted which, sadly, wasn't long.

Drizzit red
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
My favorite would have to be one my friend created. He made a womanizing mage, and he rolled for a quirck. The quirck he rolled was he could not tell a lie.

This became even better entertainment when we came upon an extremely attractive siren. Let the womanizing and truthtelling begin!!!!

I was rolling on the floor for a while during that encounter. I actually felt sorry for the DM on that one.

ChaunceyK
01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
A friend and I tried to recreate Master Blaster

I'm sorry...Master Blaster? Unfamiliar with it. Was it a movie, or maybe a character from a movie? :confused:

Webhead
01-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm sorry...Master Blaster? Unfamiliar with it. Was it a movie, or maybe a character from a movie? :confused:

Characters from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. There was a midget who rode on the shoulders of a large, quiet, muscular guy who turned out to be mentally deficient (basically a large child). Master was the little guy and the brains of the duo and Blaster was the big, strong one.

ChaunceyK
01-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Aaaaaah, thanks for the clarification. That's one of the movies that's always been recommended to me, but I've never gotten around to watching. Gotta borrow that from the library one day.

Webhead
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Aaaaaah, thanks for the clarification. That's one of the movies that's always been recommended to me, but I've never gotten around to watching. Gotta borrow that from the library one day.

And if you haven't already (then shame on you), you should also watch Road Warrior to which Beyond Thunderdome is the sequel. It is a classic in every respect and just an outright excellent film. Of course, I'm probably preaching to the choir here and you've probably already seen Road Warrior a hundred times. :cool:

1958Fury
01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
And if you haven't already (then shame on you), you should also watch Road Warrior to which Beyond Thunderdome is the sequel. It is a classic in every respect and just an outright excellent film. Of course, I'm probably preaching to the choir here and you've probably already seen Road Warrior a hundred times. :cool:

Okay, movie night at my place! Anybody want to drive to Nashville?

tesral
01-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Reilly O'Fearson. A touch of Formosan in that one, an Irishman 7'8" tall if he was the height of a barleycorn. He began as a Bard that killed the Saxon that killed his true love and had to flee the country. He later was instrumental in driving the Saxon out and he became the Champion of Tara and Erin. He was big fellow always trying to look small. He had the usual love of fine drink and fine girls. The girls he treated like porcelain dolls. No terrible strange I suppose except for my trying to do an Irish accent that usually ended somewhere in the Irish sea between Scotland and Ireland. It was usually my fellow player's desire to dump it there too.

Par Ironclub: Now that was a strange character. A Dwarf that carries all his rather large store of weapons in a leather bag carried by his faithful Squire Nibbic.

D. Warf or the Dwarf with no name. A joke figure by Ral Partha it was Clint Eastwood with two feet edited out. the character was Clint Eastwood with two feet edited out.

russdm
01-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I had a dwarf with dreadlocks and an Afro.

Soft Serve
01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
I always wanted to play the dwarf from Dungeons and Dragons the movie.

Or Snails.

I liked both of those characters.

that movie needs a sequel, because they can't seriously just let Snails half-die like that.

1958Fury
01-14-2009, 12:19 PM
that movie needs a sequel, because they can't seriously just let Snails half-die like that.

Agreed. He needed a much more permanent death, preferably something hideously painful.

Soft Serve
01-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Agreed. He needed a much more permanent death, preferably something hideously painful.

haha, I Liked Snails!

...but your right. As far as movies go, there only needs to be one hero all-star, and All Snails did was manage to stab a dagger through evil dude, but it didn't do anything.

Webhead
01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
...that movie needs a sequel, because they can't seriously just let Snails half-die like that.

Gah! Erk! :yuck:

Oh, my sanity...my poor, poor sanity... :faint:

My mind had nearly removed all memory of that movie...nearly. I suppose some evils can never truly die.

-Webhead; Special Qualities: DR 5/mentioning the D&D "movie"

Soft Serve
01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Gah! Erk! :yuck:

Oh, my sanity...my poor, poor sanity... :faint:

My mind had nearly removed all memory of that movie...nearly. I suppose some evils can never truly die.

-Webhead; Special Qualities: DR 5/mentioning the D&D "movie"

lol...I suppose it'd be wrong to say I liked the new star wars just as much as the old ones too then?

well except for Midichlorians...that just isn't right.

or however you spell them.

1958Fury
01-14-2009, 02:43 PM
lol...I suppose it'd be wrong to say I liked the new star wars just as much as the old ones too then?

But what about Jar Jar Binks? He's the SW equivelant of D&D's snails. If you like Jar Jar, then I'm afraid there's simply nothing we can do for you. :p

Webhead
01-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Midichlorians don't exist. It's all just a myth to scare and confuse young children...like the Boogie Man or Jar-Jar Binks or Justin Whalin's movie career...

In the end, I liked the new Star Wars films for what they were...which was some beautifully filmed and coordinated action sequences and CGI and ample screentime for Force powers and lightsabery. I own them, I watch them, all is well. They're still Star Wars, so I'm bound on at least some level to enjoy them, even if they were riddled with annoyances.

But what about Jar Jar Binks? He's the SW equivelant of D&D's snails. If you like Jar Jar, then I'm afraid there's simply nothing we can do for you. :p

The first time seeing Phantom Menace, I actually didn't mind Jar Jar up until they reached Tatooine. He was bumbling, but he wasn't mind-numbingly stupid. As soon as he steps in poop, it's all downhill. Really George, we don't need poop-jokes in our Star Wars movies. Thanks anyway.

I almost get the impression that "pre-Tatooine" Jar Jar and "post-Tatooine" Jar Jar were written at two different times or by two different people. Pay attention next time you watch and you might see what I mean.

Anakin should have turned to the Dark Side hurling Jar Jar off a Coruscant balcony. It would have been a more justified and plausible fall...

boulet
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Anakin should have turned to the Dark Side hurling Jar Jar off a Coruscant balcony. It would have been a more justified and plausible fall...
I second that ! But it's a bit weak as a plot device to make Anakin cross the dreaded line. Maybe there should have been a love affair between Padme and Jar Jar ? Man I need a high-tech remote control that enables me to change plots and character relationships when I watch movies. Jar Jar lord of the Sith anyone ? (I'll stop when I hear every SW fans vomit)

Webhead
01-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I second that ! But it's a bit weak as a plot device to make Anakin cross the dreaded line. Maybe there should have been a love affair between Padme and Jar Jar ? Man I need a high-tech remote control that enables me to change plots and character relationships when I watch movies. Jar Jar lord of the Sith anyone ? (I'll stop when I hear every SW fans vomit)

Yes. Little did the Jedi know, Sidious was not the true Lord of the Sith. He was only an apprentice to the real Sith Master, Darth Jar-Jarius...

tesral
01-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I almost get the impression that "pre-Tatooine" Jar Jar and "post-Tatooine" Jar Jar were written at two different times or by two different people. Pay attention next time you watch and you might see what I mean..

It was the heat.

There was that tongue.....

1958Fury
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Midichlorians don't exist. It's all just a myth to scare and confuse young children...like the Boogie Man or Jar-Jar Binks or Justin Whalin's movie career...

I really don't get the venom over Midichlorians. Sure, it's never as interesting when something mystical is explained by science. Like Highlander 2 - they took a cool supernatural premise and blamed it on space aliens - and of course H2 stank. But Midichlorians are not the Force. The Force itself is still as mystical and unexplainable as ever. To this day, nobody really knows what the Force is, how it works, where it came from, or why it is here. The fact that there's something in their blood that helps Jedi interact with the Force in no way diminishes the coolness of the Force itself.

Midichlorians were only invented so that Lucas could write in a way to detect someone's Force ability using a computer. It was probably meant to be a throwaway line; they could have just as easily said, "I can tell by his DNA that he's an exceptional Force user." Would you then be ranting about how DNA isn't cool?

Or is the complaint that Force sensitivity can be quantified at all? Even if so, I still don't see why that's a problem. Just because someone's body has more potential for certain things, doesn't mean they'll excel at it. Not every tall person can play basketball, and not every person with a high midichlorian count is going to be a Jedi Master. Which is another reason why the Jedi Council doesn't jump at the chance to train Anakin. Qui-Gon was convinced that just because Annie had a lot of midi-C's, that he would be the perfect Jedi. Qui-Gon would probably also have pegged Andre the Giant as a great basketball player. Prophecy or no prophecy, the Jedi Council knew that there's more to being a great Jedi than having a natural aptitude.

Or maybe you don't like the idea that some people are more apt to learning the Force than others? That you could train every hour of every day, memorize every book in the Jedi library, and yet still someone else would be more powerful simply because of something in his blood? Frustrating, sure, but the fact that the Force flows stronger in some families than others was established in the original trilogy, so nothing's changed there. Midichlorians are just another way of saying, "people who share my blood are strong Force users."

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of midichlorians either. If GL wanted to write a quick-and-easy way of detecting Force power, there's better ways he could have done it. So at best, midi-C's are unneccessary. At worst, it prompts too many additional questions. ("Can my character inject midichlorians into his bloodstream?" "Would a vampire in the Star Wars universe become a stronger Force user with each kill?") However, I don't see how it ruins anything. I just don't understand why fans get so rabid over this one particular aspect of Star Wars lore.

Shortly before Episode 3 came out, I had a dream where Anakin revealed his dark nature by cutting Jar Jar in half. The movie audience cheered.

There was that tongue.....

Pass the brain bleach... :lol:

The first time seeing Phantom Menace, I actually didn't mind Jar Jar up until they reached Tatooine. He was bumbling, but he wasn't mind-numbingly stupid. As soon as he steps in poop, it's all downhill. Really George, we don't need poop-jokes in our Star Wars movies. Thanks anyway.

There actually are some aspects of Jar Jar I like. His progression is interesting - he starts out as a bumbling fool, and through a series of misadventures gets appointed war general. He becomes a war hero simply by having the luck to survive a battle, and is promoted to ambassador. This puts him on the council, where his gullibility is exploited by Palpatine. It is Jar Jar's actions on the senate floor that get Palpatine appointed Emperor, so in a way, Jar Jar is one of the most important characters in the Star Wars universe.

But that progression from soldier to politician is so close to real life, it could have been based on actual politics. It makes you wonder how many of our former war heroes - the ones who used that status to get elected to higher positions in the government - were actually that heroic in battle, and how many of them were bumbling fools who survived through luck alone.

So overall, I think he's kind of cool in concept. However, the actual execution is offensive to my intelligence.

boulet
01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of midichlorians either. If GL wanted to write a quick-and-easy way of detecting Force power, there's better ways he could have done it. So at best, midi-C's are unneccessary. At worst, it prompts too many additional questions. ("Can my character inject midichlorians into his bloodstream?" "Would a vampire in the Star Wars universe become a stronger Force user with each kill?") However, I don't see how it ruins anything. I just don't understand why fans get so rabid over this one particular aspect of Star Wars lore.

I remember the first time I heard of the midithingies during episode 1, it was just automatic : my nerd brain said "LAME !!!". I didn't even think twice about it. It's more about coherency of themes than SW realism. The force for me is this mystical side of the SW universe. If it can be put in bottle, if it can be sampled, then it's less magical and kind of contradict the episodes 4 to 6. I mean why the "use the force" when a the X-fighter has a targeting computer in episode 4 ? Because the force is a counter-power to the omnipresent high-tech in the rest of the setting.

And as you mentioned, "Can my character inject midichlorians into his bloodstream?" and a whole lot of biology related questions arise. I don't mind this idea when it's about Dune and the Bene Gesserit, it's part of their concept, but for Jedi Knights... meh

Webhead
01-14-2009, 06:59 PM
...Midichlorians were only invented so that Lucas could write in a way to detect someone's Force ability using a computer...

Which is exactly why it rubs me the wrong way. I have a problem digesting the concept of the Emperor setting up a "Jedi blood test" to weed out Jedi or Force-potentiates. To me, the place of the Force in Star Wars was something that existed outside of the realm of the universe's "science" and therefore should not be identifiable scientifically.

...It was probably meant to be a throwaway line; they could have just as easily said, "I can tell by his DNA that he's an exceptional Force user." Would you then be ranting about how DNA isn't cool?...

No, just the ability to determine Force-potential in an individual or family using said DNA. As I said, science where science should not tread.

...Or is the complaint that Force sensitivity can be quantified at all?...

As a "mystical energy field", it should only be concretely identifiable and quantifiable by those sensitive to that energy. By using the Force, it should be possible to identify (and even quantify in a subjective, relativistic sense) other Force-users or potential Force-users.

...Or maybe you don't like the idea that some people are more apt to learning the Force than others? That you could train every hour of every day, memorize every book in the Jedi library, and yet still someone else would be more powerful simply because of something in his blood? Frustrating, sure, but the fact that the Force flows stronger in some families than others was established in the original trilogy, so nothing's changed there. Midichlorians are just another way of saying, "people who share my blood are strong Force users."...

Agreed. It has been established even pre-prequels that Force-potential will often run along family lines. That works and I agree with that in general. Just as long as they keep anything "science-y" out of it.

1958Fury
01-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Just as long as they keep anything "science-y" out of it.

Eh. I can see where you're coming from, but I just can't get worked up about it. If GL had decided that the Force was microscopic bacteria, then I'd be annoyed. But being able to detect Force potential (and again, it's potential, not neccessarily talent) through a blood test - that doesn't bother me so much.

While I like what boulet said about Luke rejecting science in favor of sorcery in the X-Wing, overall the SW universe is all about the melding of technology and magic. The Jedi still use space ships and R2 units and holograms all throughout the series. The lightsaber - arguably the most iconic object in the Star Wars universe - is the perfect example of this meld. It's a high-tech version of a low-tech weapon, and while it uses technology far more advanced than anything in our own, it's usually only wielded by people who live like monks.

Webhead
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Eh. I can see where you're coming from, but I just can't get worked up about it...

Which is kinda where I come from on the whole Midichlorians issue. It annoys me and I would rather not spend much energy worrying about it, so I simply choose to ignore it for my purposes (i.e. in my Star Wars RPG campaigns, etc.).

Soft Serve
01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
lol Star Wars destroyed the intentions of the original poster...

I think it's safe to say Midi-C's were thrown in with the best interest, but did a poor job of keeping the traditional Star Wars feel.

Jar-Jar is a good character for me. I watched the Phantom Menace when I was maybe 11 or 12? So Jar-Jar's physical comedy kept me interested in it even when nobody was waving their glowsticks trying to kill eachother. That was my first Star Wars movie and when I was that old that was good enough for me.

If the older batman movies (I only say "older" because I don't mean the recent "Dark Knight" stuff) woulden't have put me to sleep when I was younger, I'm sure I'd be a lot more interested in batman too.

On the subject of Anakin's Dark side & Jar-Jar Binks, Robot Chicken seemed to beat you guys to the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPQdbtxelI0

Webhead
01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
...That was my first Star Wars movie and when I was that old that was good enough for me...

There is something to be said for your "first". It tends to leave the most lasting impression. That's probably the same reason why the prequels always feel inferior to me...because the original trilogy was my "first". I was watching the Star Wars movies since before I can remember.

...If the older batman movies (I only say "older" because I don't mean the recent "Dark Knight" stuff) woulden't have put me to sleep when I was younger, I'm sure I'd be a lot more interested in batman too...

The Tim Burton Batman films were "okay" but if you're so bold, I highly recommend taking a look at the Batman Animated Series that was on TV in the early 90's (not to be confused with the new "The Batman" cartoon that came out a couple of years ago). My favorite rendition of Batman to date. It was surprisingly dark for a Saturday morning kid's cartoon. Very good stuff. Episodes of particular note are the origin episodes for Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Clayface and an episode called "His Silicon Soul".

...On the subject of Anakin's Dark side & Jar-Jar Binks, Robot Chicken seemed to beat you guys to the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPQdbtxelI0

I love Robot Chicken, but I've not seen this one before. Hrm...seems the video was removed. Dang.

Soft Serve
01-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah it was...damn. None of the other videos capture the entire Jar-Jar/Vader interaction from the begining or I'd have posted them.

Baron_Samedi
05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I suppose the most unique character i've created in oWoD is a nocker changeling who grew up in his prime as a semi-pro boxer, but later developed a knack for hunting werewolves...after much money blown into research, development, and repair of an antique WWI tank...he had quite a respectable arsenal after about four calendar years of gameplay. He also had the most dramatic character death ever...After being pinned by a pack of White Howlers and slammed against a wall, he pulled the pin to a silver nitrate grenade and shoved it down the offending Garou's throat, to his elbow and before being blow sky high, muttering 'Play dead...' through gritted teeth...

good times...

Panthro82
05-17-2009, 04:46 AM
My weirdest character was simply because of his name:

Panthro McDougalbunny III

Wherever he went the name drew a ton of notice and criticism and he would pronounce his name proudly to all who would listen. He wore it like a badge. He was a fun Rogue. I miss him....R.I.P Panthro

templeorder
05-19-2009, 02:59 PM
MacDuff McAlistair - WOD; was a true nobody that accidentally got mummified when the temple his body was in was sacked; when the priests returned after the city was recaptured, they assumed his body was a priest's and he was awakened in the golden age of archeology - he became a roaring 20's mummy, black coat, top hat, cigarette, gin...

In other games... the wierdest... wow, wierd by definition is out of the ordinary so its like comparing apples to space shuttles...

The2501Project
07-29-2009, 11:43 PM
I can no longer recall his name, but my oddest character to date was a drug addled burnt out scottish rock star I played in a Vampire the Requiem game. The story teller got tired after only a few sessions which was a pity since I had fun with the character and the gonzo setting that the ST was running.

Soft Serve
07-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I've got a "Foghorn "Thunderd**k" Leghorn" in my zombie survival game...

...He's a sniper.

guardian1968
10-07-2009, 12:30 AM
My oddest and most fun character would have to be Mega-Moose for Marvel. He is permanently transformed into an overly muscular "moosoid" following a 'supernatural accident' that melds his soul with his totem animal. His antlers could deflect bullets and he could use them in close combat.

His origin beats a radioactive SNICKERS bar, I guess...

Soft Serve
10-10-2009, 04:16 AM
My oddest and most fun character would have to be Mega-Moose for Marvel. He is permanently transformed into an overly muscular "moosoid" following a 'supernatural accident' that melds his soul with his totem animal. His antlers could deflect bullets and he could use them in close combat.

His origin beats a radioactive SNICKERS bar, I guess...

Radioactive SNICKERS® Bar has become my new out for Rock, Paper Scissors.

"I threw rock! So I win!"
"No this is a radioactive SNICKERS® Bar."
"..."
"Only Moosoids beat Radioactive SNICKERS® Bars."

guardian1968
10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Radioactive SNICKERS® Bar has become my new out for Rock, Paper Scissors.

"I threw rock! So I win!"
"No this is a radioactive SNICKERS® Bar."
"..."
"Only Moosoids beat Radioactive SNICKERS® Bars."

I'll try to remember that if we ever get a Rock, Paper, Scissors game online! :D

tesral
10-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Faterban: A fighter of a Handicapped species. Sentient, telepathic, no hands. He fought with custom designed stuff strapped to his natural weapons.

Soft Serve
10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I'll try to remember that if we ever get a Rock, Paper, Scissors game online! :D

It woulden't be my first Rock, Paper, Scissors game online.

Faterban: A fighter of a Handicapped species. Sentient, telepathic, no hands. He fought with custom designed stuff strapped to his natural weapons.

If an entire species is Handicapped aren't they just kinda...normal?

That's like birds calling humans handicapped cause they can't fly.

tesral
10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
If an entire species is Handicapped aren't they just kinda...normal?

That's like birds calling humans handicapped cause they can't fly.

It's exactly like that. From the TrekCreative Wiki
(http://trekcreative.wikia.com/wiki/Trek_Creative_Wiki)
A term invented by Larry Niven. Handicapped (capitalized) refers to a sentient species that has no manipulative organs.

http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/startrek/groups/ane1.gif

Soft Serve
10-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Is the psycho-deer an example or was that for kicks?

tesral
10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Is the psycho-deer an example or was that for kicks?

Yes that is an example.

Psycho? Ah the solid blue eyes. Explained in the link. Ane (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/startrek/groups/anecon.html)

Soft Serve
10-22-2009, 11:15 AM
"I see" says the blind man to his deaf cat.

killersquirrel59
05-10-2010, 11:18 PM
It's a tough choice for me, but I probably have to go with my Demon from Demon The Fallen, Infernalist.

The demon took possession of the body, but lost all his memories in the process (no Legacy background). He then found his own demonic patron who was actually one of his subordinates during the War of Wrath and ended up falling to infernalism himself, without ever realizing he was a Demon.