PDA

View Full Version : D&D Forgotten Realms Excerpts: Swordmage

PnP News Bot
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Forgotten Realms Excerpts: Swordmage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080826a)

Swordmages apply the arcane arts to melee combat. The flourish of a swordmage’s blade not only bites with steel, but also with fire, lightning, or other powerful forces.

ronpyatt
08-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Very cool and oh-so-useful.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Got a couple of players in my group that are fighting over this class. I just sit back and enjoy the show.

Thoth-Amon

Tamerath
08-29-2008, 06:21 PM
You know it Thoth-Amon...but I want it official that I'm the first Swordmage :)

Briarthorn
08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
You know it Thoth-Amon...but I want it official that I'm the first Swordmage :)

The first and the best.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Legend in his own mind, Tamerath is...

Thoth-Amon

Aidan
08-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Actually, the Forgotten Realms preview was out a over a month ago and had the first three levels of Swordmage, along with Drow and Genasi races.
We had a swordmage in our campaign at the end of July.

Tamerath
08-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Actually, the Forgotten Realms preview was out a over a month ago and had the first three levels of Swordmage, along with Drow and Genasi races.
We had a swordmage in our campaign at the end of July.

I rolled my character the day the preview came out and played it 3 days after :) AND...I played elven Bladesingers since the kit was introduced...while there MAY be others like me....NO one is Better at what they do. ;P ((Also wanted to send out some love to Briarthorn..."Thanks Sweetheart, I love playing with you in our Saturday Game :) I'd say you are the BEST at what you do too :) ))

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 07:32 PM
The sweetness you two exude, Tamerath and Briarthorn, is giving me cavities.

Thoth-Amon

Maelstrom
08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
This class still gives me the heebie-jeebies for being too powerful. Better at defending people than a fighter with his teleporting ability and ranged mark, and with a whole slew of controller-style attacks. With the AC bonus to boot.

ronpyatt
08-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Better at defending people than a fighter with his teleporting ability and ranged mark, and with a whole slew of controller-style attacks. With the AC bonus to boot.
Sounds nice. Have you tried it? Do tell!

Tamerath
08-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah I've tried it. It's a fantastic class. I don't know about being overpowered though. Sure the AC bonus is nice but that's going to change as you level up. Personally I've taken Hide Armor Proficiency and will probably take chain (For Eladrin Chain armor in the future to increase my teleportation). But keep in mind there are more powers now that target Fort Ref, or Will...and your higher AC won't be able to help you there. I find that it still lacks super ranged attacks like the fighter. Our DM in the last game was still able to take me down to the danger levels. I thinks it's fine. The Fighter still has more marking abilities (especially at higher levels) to offset the stuff this gets...I will agree you get around the battlefield easier through teleportation and fast movement ability (Eldritch Speed Utility 2 Power). Of course it's a different type of Defender...much like the Paladin has more healing attacks and buffing feel, The Spellsword has more of a defender/controller feel. For my Spellsword specifically I'm going to take multiclass feats in Wizard to add even more controller abilities, ranged attacks, and (incase they don't come out with the Bladesinger as a Paragon Path) the Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path that will let me use my longsword (already my implement as a Spellsword) as a Wand of Accuracy...and giving me a couple more cool sword powers that I can take advantage of with a high Intelligence.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-30-2008, 06:49 PM
...and it helps that he hides behind his girls character in every combat.

<who said that? looking innocently from left to right>

Thoth-Amon

Maelstrom
08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah I've tried it. It's a fantastic class.

I haven't tried it myself, but one of the players in my group has been putting it through its paces. The swordmage seems like the power-gamers dream from what I've seen.

But keep in mind there are more powers now that target Fort Ref, or Will

Good point. When it comes to brute bad guys, AC is still king though.

I find that it still lacks super ranged attacks like the fighter.

Fighters have ranged attacks? Do tell. You mean ranged basics?

Our DM in the last game was still able to take me down to the danger levels.

I do admit that our swordmage always seems in trouble and needing another heal in combat. Can't quite place why that happens... maybe because of the mobility they always end up in dangerous spots? Maybe Fighters tend to focus on Con more so the Swordmage ends up with less HP to start?

The Fighter still has more marking abilities ...to offset the stuff this gets

Main difference here is that the fighter has to hit in melee to mark, and that mark only lasts until the end of the fighter's next turn (so he has to keep hitting). Swordmage's power has a small range, is a minor action, and sticks to the opponent as long as the swordmage desires.

The Spellsword has more of a defender/controller feel.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the Spellsword, I just think the implementation needs to be toned down a tad.

Aidan
08-31-2008, 01:13 AM
Main difference here is that the fighter has to hit in melee to mark, and that mark only lasts until the end of the fighter's next turn (so he has to keep hitting). Swordmage's power has a small range, is a minor action, and sticks to the opponent as long as the swordmage desires.

"Every time you attack a enemy, whether the attack hits or misses, you can choose to mark that target." from Combat Challenge, PHB p 76

So no the fighter doesn't have to hit to mark.
He doesn't have to use a minor action to mark either. Also, in addition to the -2 to hit any other opponent that the fighter's mark gives, if the marked target attacks someone else or even shifts, the fighter can make a melee basic attack as an immediate interrupt.

The Swordmage's mark is mechanically similar to the Paladin's.

Tamerath
08-31-2008, 02:59 AM
Oh I didn't mean that the fighter HAS any ranged attacks...quite the opposite in fact...with the exception of your basic ranged attacks I didn't notice a power that uses them in the Fighter tree...and adding on to what Aidan said...when you mark something as a fighter it does everything he says and interupts their movement (so the enemy stays where it is).

Oh Thoth-Amon...do you really blame me for staying close to my cleric? She's a kick-ass one at that. Unless she goes down (and she won't if I do my job right) then I don't have to worry about dying :)

Maelstrom
09-01-2008, 07:02 AM
"Every time you attack a enemy, whether the attack hits or misses, you can choose to mark that target." from Combat Challenge, PHB p 76

Oops! I missed that! Yeah, the fighter is much cooler with that cleared up.