PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga Edition/DnD 4th

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-25-2008, 03:08 PM
i have been touching up on my Saga edition rules and noticed that they are VERY VERY similar to the new DnD 4th edition rules.

Examples i can think of:

3 defenses that are put up against attack.

A +5 to "trained" skills and adding 1/2 level to the bonus too

Force points are similar to action points.

The "speed" entry is in "squares"

I'm sure there are more but i can't think of them at the moment. and i could be wrong in my thinking. i don't know the rules to either very well if at all. bu those examples seem very similar.

Am i over analysing or are they the same?

Webhead
08-25-2008, 05:50 PM
i have been touching up on my Saga edition rules and noticed that they are VERY VERY similar to the new DnD 4th edition rules.

Examples i can think of:

3 defenses that are put up against attack.

A +5 to "trained" skills and adding 1/2 level to the bonus too

Force points are similar to action points.

The "speed" entry is in "squares"

I'm sure there are more but i can't think of them at the moment. and i could be wrong in my thinking. i don't know the rules to either very well if at all. bu those examples seem very similar.

Am i over analysing or are they the same?

The games are not exactly the same, but there are many similarities. It's helpful to understand that Saga Edition was kind of a "test" of many of the concepts that WotC was building for 4e (such as the changes to the Skill system, Defenses, etc.).

While 4e has many of the ideas from Saga at its core, there are also a lot more changes that happened in between. The class/level structure in Saga is closer to traditional "d20" than 4e is and there are several other notable differences. 4e took the Saga concept of the "Second Wind" and multiplied it several times to make it into the "Healing Surge" mechanic (frankly, I think I like Second Wind better).

So, while they share several concepts for retooling the d20 system, closer analysis reveals there are about as many differences between them as there are similarities.

I also rather like the "Condition Track" and "Damage Threshold" from Saga and was sad to see that it was dropped from 4e.

Engar
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I find Saga a much better system. Ironic since about a year ago I hated anything WotC SW after the clunky d20 SW and was looking forward to 4e.

Webhead
08-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I find Saga a much better system. Ironic since about a year ago I hated anything WotC SW after the clunky d20 SW and was looking forward to 4e.

My, how the times have changed you, friend! :D

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-25-2008, 11:50 PM
The games are not exactly the same, but there are many similarities. It's helpful to understand that Saga Edition was kind of a "test" of many of the concepts that WotC was building for 4e (such as the changes to the Skill system, Defenses, etc.).

While 4e has many of the ideas from Saga at its core, there are also a lot more changes that happened in between. The class/level structure in Saga is closer to traditional "d20" than 4e is and there are several other notable differences. 4e took the Saga concept of the "Second Wind" and multiplied it several times to make it into the "Healing Surge" mechanic (frankly, I think I like Second Wind better).

So, while they share several concepts for retooling the d20 system, closer analysis reveals there are about as many differences between them as there are similarities.

I also rather like the "Condition Track" and "Damage Threshold" from Saga and was sad to see that it was dropped from 4e.

oh i see. Saga was the guinea pig? so they could make a new DND? oh well. saga is great

Webhead
08-26-2008, 12:05 AM
oh i see. Saga was the guinea pig? so they could make a new DND? oh well. saga is great

Yes, it is. Ironically, many think that Saga is a more solid game than 4e, perhaps because a lot of good concepts in Saga were dropped from 4e in favor of more dramatic "reprogramming" to the system. My (admittedly limited) experience leads me to agree at this point (but I don't profess to be unbiased...I'm a Star Wars nut afterall).

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Yes, it is. Ironically, many think that Saga is a more solid game than 4e, perhaps because a lot of good concepts in Saga were dropped from 4e in favor of more dramatic "reprogramming" to the system. My (admittedly limited) experience leads me to agree at this point (but I don't profess to be unbiased...I'm a Star Wars nut afterall).

hahaha me too. i love star wars. you have no idea. lightsabers all over the house ahahaha.

but ya i like saga over dnd 4th.

vadersson
09-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Jumping on the "me too" band wagon.

Saga may have been a test bed for 4e, but then something went horridly wrong. ;) Saga finally captures a Star Wars feel in a d20 game (which OCR and RCR did not.) D&D is suppose to be different trying to capture a D&D feel. I will let other judge that.

Saga rocks.

Thanks,
Duncan

Inquisitor Tremayne
09-03-2008, 01:51 PM
For those who don't know already, Star Wars Saga Edition won these awards at ENnie this year:

Best Rules - Gold

Best d20/OGL - Gold

Best Game - Gold

Product of the Year - Silver

Saga Edition rocks!

Here is the link: http://www.ennieawards.com/08/2008.html