PDA

View Full Version : Starting

Chi
08-25-2008, 01:54 PM
My roomates and I wanted to start a super hero campain but I am confused as to the charecter. Do you just choose your favorite super hero or do you make one.

Skunkape
08-25-2008, 01:57 PM
That depends on what you want from the game. The problem with taking a favorite character and creating it for the game is since the character isn't be written about by an author, they just aren't quite the same. Granted, you become the author of the character by default in a game, but because you've got other people inputting the information of the story, things won't be the same.

Now what I've done with super characters in the past is create them based on a favorite character, they just aren't exact copies. I usually boil the character down to its basic concepts and go from there.

Chi
08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
So if I wanted to be a girl with superman powers but I don't want to fly and want xray vision. Or something like that. How many powers do you get?

Webhead
08-25-2008, 10:36 PM
So if I wanted to be a girl with superman powers but I don't want to fly and want xray vision. Or something like that. How many powers do you get?

That all depends on which supers game system you are going to be using. Many supers games give you a pool of "points" to spend with each power costing points based on how powerful it is. If you could tell us which RPG your friends are using, we could probably help you understand the game a little better.

Law Dog
08-26-2008, 11:19 AM
And also what aspect of superhero gaming you would like to simulate.

If, for instance, you wanted to be able to try to duplicate the fast action and heroics that are laid down on the comic book page, them I'd suggest the old Marvel Super Heroes Roleplaying game, which is available on line for free. The Karma pool actually allows you an opportunity to save the day and try interesting stunts with your powers.

If you want a blow-by-blow break down of superheroics, Champions takes it to the tactical extreme and allows for fairly balanced supers.

Chi
08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
And also what aspect of superhero gaming you would like to simulate.

If, for instance, you wanted to be able to try to duplicate the fast action and heroics that are laid down on the comic book page, them I'd suggest the old Marvel Super Heroes Roleplaying game, which is available on line for free. The Karma pool actually allows you an opportunity to save the day and try interesting stunts with your powers.

If you want a blow-by-blow break down of superheroics, Champions takes it to the tactical extreme and allows for fairly balanced supers.
Where would I go to find the old Marvel Super Heros Roleplaying game?

Webhead
08-26-2008, 12:41 PM

Go to www.classicmarvel.com (http://www.classicmarvel.com) and you'll find downloadable PDFs of virtually all the Marvel Super Heroes RPG books that were ever released. Go to the "Other Stuff" tab and the "Downloads" heading.

Too bad you live so far away...I'd love to play Marvel Super Heroes again.

Hope that is helpful.

mrken
08-26-2008, 12:52 PM

Hey Chi, you could probably find a copy at my house, but I don't play it any longer.

spotlight
08-26-2008, 05:27 PM
You might try the Half Price book store in your area. The one here happens to have a box of the old Marvel game, but I don't know how complete it is. AND, as Webhead said, it is on-line, for free.

I am partial to Champions myself. One player in my champinge built his character after Old Supes. He was pretty tough, but to keep the points in line, the fellow could only fly at five miles an hour.

Rough, but he actually RPed it to the hilt, and had fun doing it.

Chi
08-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Go to www.classicmarvel.com (http://www.classicmarvel.com) and you'll find downloadable PDFs of virtually all the Marvel Super Heroes RPG books that were ever released. Go to the "Other Stuff" tab and the "Downloads" heading.

Too bad you live so far away...I'd love to play Marvel Super Heroes again.

Hope that is helpful.
My Grandparents live in garland and my aunt and uncle live near Austin, I think We ussually see them every year near thanksgiving so may if you are close to either of those places we could play at least once.
Also thank you so much for your help with the website.

Chi
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey Chi, you could probably find a copy at my house, but I don't play it any longer.
Really You should meet me at Attactics sometime this week and let me look through it and I will bring you The movie. I think you have mine or thriondels number so give me a call later this week.

Webhead
08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
My Grandparents live in garland and my aunt and uncle live near Austin, I think We ussually see them every year near thanksgiving so may if you are close to either of those places we could play at least once.
Also thank you so much for your help with the website.

Interesting, I drive through Garland twice a day to get to and from work! :)

Next time you're up this way, let me know.

Aidan
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
GURPS also has (or had) a Supers book if you're familiar with that system.

Chi
08-27-2008, 06:45 PM
GURPS also has (or had) a Supers book if you're familiar with that system.
To be honest with you the only thing I am familiar with is D and D, but I am trying to get into other stuff now that I found this site. I have heard alot about GURPS but what is it.

Chi
08-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Interesting, I drive through Garland twice a day to get to and from work! :)

Next time you're up this way, let me know.
I will absolutley do that! My mother will be up there the week before thanksigiving but I don't know that we will be down til after the new year.

Skunkape
08-28-2008, 06:43 AM
To be honest with you the only thing I am familiar with is D and D, but I am trying to get into other stuff now that I found this site. I have heard alot about GURPS but what is it.

GURPS is Steve Jackson's Generic Universal Role-Playing System. While it's a great system as far as allowing most any genre to be played using it and the world books give a wealth of information, it tends to be what is known as crunchy, very crunchy, which is to say it's tends to be pretty intensive as far as getting down to the nitty gritty details.

Character creation is point based and the only system I've seen that's more complex is the Hero system, but that's really only because of the diversity for which you can develop abilities in Hero over GURPS. Course, you do a GURPS supers game and you can get pretty diverse with that too!

Chi
08-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I had no idea, definately not what I thought it was and sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to give it a try!!