PDA

View Full Version : That Wushu You Do...

Webhead
08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
To avoid derailing the "What's Wrong with 4e" thread further, I hearby move all discussion of Wushu to this thread.

"...and there was much rejoicing. (yay!)"

ronpyatt
08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Very fun game. Easy setup. Easy character creation. Simple mechanics.

I've run a couple Wushu games. One involving a plot to assassinate the mayor (in Dallas), which the PC's were trying to prevent, but the Mayor turned out to be the big-bad behind the scheme. The other was an Animal, a professor at the university, search and rescue mission in Central Park.

Wushu takes a small mechanic, which other systems have to some degree but often players and GM's ignore, and brings it in as the core of the system. In your description of your attack, add as many dice (d6) as you have added elements within your description. Subject to a maximum set by the GM, you can easily get 6 to 8 dice for your attack.

One player found the mechanic difficult to use. He used his machine-gun-grenade-launcher to shoot things. I think he only once used more than one d6.

If you need practice in descriptive combat, play this game.

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
If you can write a fanfic (good or bad) it sounds like you can own at this game. lol :)

So how do people usually play Wushu online? From the reading of the rules it sounds like a game where having Voice Chat would be VASTLY superior to text.

Webhead
08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
...So how do people usually play Wushu online? From the reading of the rules it sounds like a game where having Voice Chat would be VASTLY superior to text.

Because of the Principle of Narrative Truth and the breakdown of description to die pools for action, Wushu strikes me as a game well equipped for Play-by-post play. I suppose we'll find out. I'll be putting together the Wushu test drive game as a PbP, assuming that's cool with you...

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Sure. It would just be faster and perhaps more thrilling to do it by voice. Whatever you want is fine with me.

boulet
08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I'll be putting together the Wushu test drive game as a PbP, assuming that's cool with you...

Will you do this on PnPG ? What setting is it going to be ?

Webhead
08-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Will you do this on PnPG ? What setting is it going to be ?

I'm planning to. At present, it's sounding like I'll do something inspired by the series Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'm doing a little prep now. I'll keep you posted.

Webhead
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Just letting you guys know that I'm still plugging away at getting materials ready for this game. I will likely be getting the PbP section set up today, Farcaster's time permitting...

tesral
08-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I think I would need to see this in practice myself. It sounds highly subjective. Interesting, but subjective. And yea, favoring the person that thinks fast on their feet.

In the latter case PbEM would favor this style as the slower medium gives you more time to consider your opinions and plot out your prose. Not many games are built around the idea that the better writer you are the more advantages you get.

Webhead
08-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I think I would need to see this in practice myself. It sounds highly subjective. Interesting, but subjective...

Once I get this game going on the PbP forum, you're certainly welcome to come take a look and voice opinions.

...In the latter case PbEM would favor this style as the slower medium gives you more time to consider your opinions and plot out your prose...

Exactly. PbEM and PbP seem well suited for it.

...Not many games are built around the idea that the better writer you are the more advantages you get.

Not necessarily the better writer (but such skills would likely be helpful), but the more involved you are in your character's actions and how they shape the scene. And all is subject to some established limits and group veto authority to keep things from getting unwieldy. Boring "I try to hit him" actions are discouraged.

Webhead
08-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Game section is now up in the Play by Post forum. Title is "Avatar: Scorched Earth".