PDA

View Full Version : SW to SWSE or DnD 3.5 to DnD 4e

canadiansatan
08-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Which do you think was a better new release? The Star Wars Role Playing Game (revised edition) had the Saga Edition come out. DnD 3.5 had 4th edition come out.

Which did a better job as a new system as far as fixing old problems and being more playable/better in general?

Igbutton
08-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Star Wars Saga for sure.

Not because 4e is bad, I rather like it. It's just that 3.5 was
very playable and enjoyable. Star Wars Roleplaying Game Revised is both of those things but just barely, Saga fixes a lot of things and gives a better Star Wars feel.

canadiansatan
08-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Just so you know, I think Saga Edition was a far greater success. I've heard people say it's too simple. I rather like not taking 8 hours for everyone to level up once. I don't know anybody that's all that upset with having to take a feat for a new skill, especially since we get so many. The talent tree system is working great for customization.

My favorite, no more AC. Your reflex defence is how well you dodge fireballs, so why not make it how well you dodge blaster fire?

Any shortcomings seem to be easily fixable with house rules.

canadiansatan
08-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Star Wars Saga for sure.

Not because 4e is bad, I rather like it. It's just that 3.5 was
very playable and enjoyable. Star Wars Roleplaying Game Revised is both of those things but just barely, Saga fixes a lot of things and gives a better Star Wars feel.

I've been gaming a while (especially dnd) so I was excited about a new dnd system coming out. I sat at the bookstore with the new players handbook and just could not figure it out. Granted I only tried for 5-10 minutes, but that's a lot of time to say to yourself, what abilities would I have a 8th level?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I was actually happy with both. I've been through so many editions of my favorite games that it has become a blur.

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
08-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I think Saga Edition was a better overall "follow-up" game than 4e was.

I think this is because Saga took a game that was clumsy, awkward and not terribly good at emulating its source material, and ironed out the kinks.

I don't think 4e is "bad" and I think there are some good ideas that d20 could learn from it, but I think Saga is better at making the d20 system more inviting and workable on the whole.

vadersson
08-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Saga is the much better upgrade. It took DnD in space (RCR) and turned it into Star Wars. Originally I was very much anti-Sage (pro WEG) but now I am strongly Saga oriented.

D&D 4th was the wrong direction in my opinion. The new game is a dungeon adventure, but it does not seem like D&D anymore.

Thanks,
Duncan

Webhead
08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Saga is the much better upgrade. It took DnD in space (RCR) and turned it into Star Wars. Originally I was very much anti-Sage (pro WEG) but now I am strongly Saga oriented.

And I'm still pro-WEG but I've come to respect, appreciate and even admire Saga for what it does (and that is make a clean, workable version of d20 that supports Star Wars very well). I keep both versions of Star Wars because I think both are great. I'm not ditching D6 just because I like Saga, but I'm not going to reject Saga simply because of my love for D6. I can have my cake and eat it too! ;)

Inquisitor Tremayne
08-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I think Saga Edition was a better overall "follow-up" game than 4e was.

I think this is because Saga took a game that was clumsy, awkward and not terribly good at emulating its source material, and ironed out the kinks.

I don't think 4e is "bad" and I think there are some good ideas that d20 could learn from it, but I think Saga is better at making the d20 system more inviting and workable on the whole.

I (again) concur with Webhead.

I believe Saga is up for game of the year.

Engar
08-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Star Wars:

d6 (awesome) to d20 (horrible) to d20 r (lousy I think, I ignored it) to Saga (very good).

It is all about the expectations. Saga is really good, almost as good as d6 for me and probably better for some. The fact that is followed two turds does not hurt either.

DnD:

Chainmail (good mini combat) to Early-1e (exciting and great roleplay) to 2e (excellent roleplay) to 3.x (very good roleplay) to 4e (see chainmail).

Flame on you 4e trendsetters, just remember this is a SW board!

Webhead
08-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Ooh, ooh! I wanna play! I'll used a public school grading scale:

Star Wars D6 (A), Star Wars d20 OCR (F), Star Wars d20 RCR (D+), Star Wars Saga (A-)

Chainmail (Never played), Basic D&D (B+), AD&D 1e (Never played), AD&D 2e (B), D&D 3.X (C), D&D 4e (Never played)

Engar
08-23-2008, 03:07 PM
LOL, I think I will make a poll for that!

Inquisitor Tremayne
08-23-2008, 05:51 PM
LOL, I think I will make a poll for that!

A poll for the best rating system?

Here is mine!

On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the best!

Star Wars d6 (7), Star Wars OCR (5, didn't play enough to judge), Star Wars RCR (5, playable but I will never GM it again), Star Wars Saga (10)

Chainmail (never played but since I like mini wargames I give it a 5), Basic D&D (never played and don't even want to venture a guess), AD&D 1e (same as Basic), AD&D 2e (5, waaay to complicated for me), D&D 3.x (originally I would have said a 10, but after playing Saga and seeing how promising d20 CAN be I will give it a 7).

That was fun!

Webhead
08-23-2008, 11:26 PM
A poll for the best rating system?

Here is mine!

On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the best!

Star Wars d6 (7), Star Wars OCR (5, didn't play enough to judge), Star Wars RCR (5, playable but I will never GM it again), Star Wars Saga (10)

Chainmail (never played but since I like mini wargames I give it a 5), Basic D&D (never played and don't even want to venture a guess), AD&D 1e (same as Basic), AD&D 2e (5, waaay to complicated for me), D&D 3.x (originally I would have said a 10, but after playing Saga and seeing how promising d20 CAN be I will give it a 7).

That was fun!

We need some unity of rating-scale if were are to uncover any value here. I'll go with your 10-point scale (I'm bored, can you tell?). In bold is the version that I would use if I were forced to choose only a single edition of each game (not as a way of discrediting the other games, but more of a "if your house was burning down and you could only save one book..." scenario):

Star Wars D6 (9), Star Wars OCR (3), Star Wars RCR (4), Star Wars Saga (9)

Chainmail (?), Basic D&D (8), AD&D 1e (?), AD&D 2e (8), D&D 3.X (5), D&D 4e (?)

Zax
10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Personally i very much liked RCR, it was a fun game and i played it alot. Personally I think they went a little over board on rules, same as with DandD, but still it was fun and it worked. Definitely however i agree that saga edition is a greta upgrade. It streamlines everything, makes it not so rules heavy makes it lighter and therefore easier to sit down and play, and I do like the talent tree system a lot. In short, RCR good fun game, SE awesome.:)

Cypherinthesystem
12-03-2008, 09:40 AM
cant really say if I like 4th edition, all do the styles for warrior are pretty awesome. But I dont mind Revised SW.

Webhead
12-03-2008, 09:53 AM
cant really say if I like 4th edition, all do the styles for warrior are pretty awesome. But I dont mind Revised SW.

Do you mean Star Wars D20 Revised or Star War Saga (or perhaps even Star Wars D6 2nd Ed. Revised and Expanded)?

Just to clarify...

Cypherinthesystem
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
sorry had to look thru the libary that would have to be d20 revised core rulebook. Its the only one I had and I have enjoyed playing it.

richterbelmont10
09-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Am I the only one who liked D&D 3.5?

tesral
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
It has it's points.

Dytrrnikl
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Here we go, using the 10 points scale...

Star Wars d6 (All Renditions) 9; Star Wars d20 3; Star Wars RCR 4; Star Wars Saga 8
I'm still not a fan of Class-Level for Star Wars, however, the skills format of Saga does a lot to cushion the dislike.

Chain Mail (Never Played); Basic DnD (Red Box) 6; 1e DnD 6; 2E DnD 9; 2E Player's Option (Black Cover books) 4; 3E DnD (I lump 3.5 in this as not enough changes to make a difference for me) 6; Pathfinder 7; 4E DnD 3.5.

I haven't found a game yet that is a perfect 10. I don't believe perfection exists, just something for which we strive and seek.