PDA

View Full Version : Breviary of Brandylegs: Chapter the First: From the Dust



nijineko
08-19-2008, 08:55 PM
The air is still. Silent. Unmoving. For a few moments you fear you have been trapped in a cave-in. Then memory returns. Your eyes open. Blackness. Slowly, fuzzily, details begin to resolve themselves out of the darkness. There is no light whatsoever, all is in grey.

You are looking at a vaulted ceiling. The stone arches are done in fantastical scrolling carvings. Dark chandeliers hang, products of considerable skill, obvious even dust-shrouded . You sit up and look around. You are laying on an empty bier in an elegant hall, one of a double row leading off into the darkness past where you can see. Heavy hangings adorn the wall separating nooks which contain more biers carved in the living stone... only these are occupied. A quick glance shows that you are sitting upon the only unoccupied slab within reach of your vision.

A sudden chill runs up your back. The figures are obscured by what appears to be burial wrappings and the gods-only-know how many centuries of dust, yet it is clear that they are of no race you have ever seen... or even heard of in legend or tale. Your breath sounds loudly in the absolute silence.



You are completely alone.

Elbryon
08-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Cross rolls off the slab mumbling curses to himself for landing in this situation.

"Bloody ell! If I'd a known I was goin for a trip dis mornin I wouldn't a left me pack at the inn!" "At least I can see a bit in this ere hole I got meself into, heh, so I got that goin fer me."

*I'm going to search the area for anything useful I may be able to pilfer for myself.*
Spot checks

*I also want to check the individual slabs with the carvings to see if I recognise any of the symbols or material that was used ie. same stone as the floor or quarried in*
Craft stone(I think this is fitting)

*Well looks like I wont have too much trouble finding something but I probably broke the first slab I tried to examine.*

nijineko
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Rolling off the slab, and onto the floor stirs up dust, threatening to make you sneeze. You note that the dust is thick, and before your movements, undisturbed. Careful movements help minimize the stirring of dust.

Each of the figures is shrouded, and the alien forms send distinct and sharp chills through you every time you attempt to approach one. Examining the slab you were laying on proves more successful. You do note that the carvings are detailed and exquisite workmanship. They differ from slab to slab, although the warding aura of the forms on the slabs prevents too close an examination of their slabs.

You are able to tell that the slabs are one with the natural rock of the cavern, in fact, everything you see appears to have been drawn from the living rock, and is one whole. Abruptly, the chandelier directly above you lights. Not the warm welcoming yellow-orange of natural fire, but an eerie flickering bluish-green that sheds little actual radiance. One after the other, the chandeliers light, drawing your gaze to the other end of the hall.

The shadows deepen in the niches, until they are almost completely obscured. The hairs on your neck and arms prickle. You get the unmistakable impression of a heavy gaze regarding you intently. The shadows gather on the slabs until it is difficult to see any details, except for the slab you lay on and the path in between. No, more than one gaze rests upon you. From each niche and slab, comes a sense of observation, a weighing.

An answering glow appears from the other end of the hall. It brightens into an actual light. It beckons you and bids you approach.

Elbryon
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I will slowly make my way towards the light at the end of the hall taking care to stay as near the middle of the row between the slabs as I can.

Noteing that the dust seems to be undisturbed except by my passing footprints I am going to try and keep a vigilant eye on the floor in front of me to see if I can detect any changes in the stonework that might indicate a trap or recent passage.

I will keep my handaxe ready in the case I might need it.

nijineko
08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
As you pass each bier, you feel the weight of an unearthly gaze rest upon you. Each gaze feels slightly different, some quick, some slow, others impatient, uncaring, or eager. Every few steps you take you feel as if you have passed a test... in some cases, indifference to your passage. Your touch to your weapon brings a sense of amusement in some, approval in others, freezing warning from the rest.

The dust thickens as you walk down the hall, mounding up to almost cover your feet. Nothing is visible beneath it. Finally, the other end of the hall becomes apparent. A massive skeletal beast protrudes from the wall. It is apparently lying on it's side, as part of the ribcage projects from the corner to your right, and the long neck vertabrae are partially visible in a sweeping arch on your left. The head and upper jaw of the beast hangs down in the center in front and above you. The multiple empty eye sockets regard you blankly. The beast is so large that it's head would easily allow an ogre to step inside its open mouth. The lower jaw projects upwards from the floor, piercing the covering dust.

The glow comes from within the shadowy interior of the mouth. Roughly shaped from the rock, so blurred and rounded it looks as if it was melted rather than cut, a nonetheless unmistakeable throne is inside the gaping jaws. The glow comes from a number of objects being held by the figure. The most prominent is from the blade of a large long-hafted axe, of a size appropriate to the tall shrouded forms upon the biers. A faint sparkle beyond the axe draws your attention to the darkness behind.

Suddenly you see a cloaked form sitting upon the throne, one seven-fingered hand gripping the axe, the other a long sceptre with glowing tracery. A third hand holds a bowl with glowing points upon its surface, while a fourth hand with a glowing ring holds a heap of small objects. The darkness under the hood of the cloak remains obscure even to your vision, but there is an ancient weight of years in the invisible gaze that rests upon you like a heavy blow. The glitter comes from a massive necklace that rests upon it's shoulders and chest. Oddly, the glow from the objects illuminate the figure not at all.

There is a sense of weighing, regalness, inquiry, and age from the figure, almost as if it looks upon you from a vast distance... not one of space, but one of time.

Elbryon
08-20-2008, 04:05 PM
"Mighty nice collection ye ave there deadie, looks like those might come in andy for someone like me in my current situation!"

I want to check around the mouth of this beast see if I spot anything out of the ordinary. I don't want the mouth to come closeing down on me while im in there grabbing goodies. If I can't see anything obvious on the skeleton itself I will make my way inside and begin another similar search of the figure on the throne, paying close attention to the arms that hold the items and if there are any lights behind him that do not originate with these items that may give me a clue how to get out of here.

nijineko
08-20-2008, 06:10 PM
As you approach the line of teeth, you get a strong sense of disapproval from the last few biers. However, there is a distinct sense of amusement from the enthroned figure. The sensations from the various slabs and niches mingle and mix. Eventually they fade away. You don't see how the jaw could close, as the corners of it would be inside the stone wall.

There is silence. You step forward. The air stirs... a long drawn out whisper. The dust is blown between the teeth, a grey ocean between knife like islands. A pause. You step forward again, closer to the line of teeth. The air stirs again... drawn in towards the figure on the throne, stirring the dust with it. You step forward again. The dust explodes away from your foot as if your foot was a large rock thrown into a shallow lake. A patterned floor, with myrid carvings is revealed. Arcs, whirls and lines of peculiar directions weave in and out forming a mosaic of astonishing complexity.

The air whips around you and echoes away stripping the dust away from everything. Except, above each slab and niche, the dust gathers into fantastical forms, no two alike. The shrouds they sit on top of might be stone, as they stir not the slightest. The figure in the throne moves...

...and stands up. From a great distance, an echo without a source reaches you. It's gaze sweeps the hall and those assembled there.

---We are decided then?---

Silence thunders in the cavern. The dust-figures clash weapons which form out of the swirling dust as they raise them, and pump them thrice, over the various heads. The only sound is your breathing. The figure's gaze bends to regard you.

---Strip.---

Elbryon
08-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Having not encountered anything even remotely like this in my limited travels I am inclined to do exactly what I am told.

"Are ye goin ta buy me dinner at least?"

I will remove my travelers outfit and set everything on the ground in front of me includeing my handaxe.

nijineko
08-20-2008, 08:05 PM
The figure waits until you have finished, and then makes a slight gesture with a fifth appendage that never comes out from under the cloak. Off to your right, near the ribcage, an oval section of the floor lifts up and slides smoothly to the side. The sound of flowing water fills the hall.

---Bathe.---

A pause.

---Be Clean That You May Receive The Gift You Have Requested.---

Elbryon
08-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Cross slowly makes his way over to the pool that has just popped out of the stonework. Slowly immersing himself in the pool he wonders if this was such a good idea.

"Me mother would thank ye sir shes been tryin to get me ta bathe for near 3 months."

nijineko
08-21-2008, 12:38 AM
The water is ***FREEZING*** cold.

The figure watches expectantly.

Elbryon
08-21-2008, 01:40 AM
As quickly as I can I will clean the best I can in this cold water and get right back out before I get too numb and cant defend myself if need be. I also want to begin looking around to see if I can spot an escape route if the situation presents itself.

"Oly! crap ye couldn't at least warm er up for meh?"


OCC. is the figure standing near me or is he still standing near the throne?

nijineko
08-21-2008, 06:00 PM
The water numbs your flesh quickly, imparting a slight bluish tinge. However, it seems to strip the dust and dirt off of you upon contact leaving your skin well scrubbed. The stone surface underneath is slick, plus there is a current, unexpectedly taking your feet out from under you. You feel as if you had been plunged into the heart of iceberg. Painfully clean, you clamber out.

A wind surrounds you scouring every drop of water off in a whirl, raining it back into the small pool. You are unexpectedly enveloped by a pristine white silken robe, astonishing in its warmth after the cold of the pool, wrapped around you by the wind-or by unseen hands.

The figure awaits you.

---Thy coming, though inadvertant, has awakened the Doom.---

A pause.

---None living who come here may depart, save they be of our kind, and there be none that may escape this Doom.---

A pause.

---The bravery, fearlessness, and obedience ye have displayed deserves reward.---

A pause.

---There is a way this Doom may be averted... for a time... for ye bear within ye the EARTHBLOOD, and as such may be aknowledged kin, for such ye are, if distant.---

A pause.

---Accept upon you our burden of thy own will and choice, and ye shall walk again under the sun, moon, and stars for whatever span fate has allotted thee.---

A pause.

---But escape the Doom ye cannot, even though it be no fault of thine, for ye have lived in the Hall of the Forgotten, and here thine bones must return to lay forever after. That is the price, the price of return from the Hall of the Forgotten.---

A pause. The echo seems sad.

---This much only we can do. And this much only because ye are kin. In some things, even we are bound.---

Elbryon
08-21-2008, 06:33 PM
"Aye, tis true the earth runs in me blood and too be swept here away from me breakfast I surely agree I 'ave been doomed what ether burden to ye plan on inflicting me with?"

OOC: how far from the pool am I in respect to the figure?

nijineko
08-21-2008, 11:42 PM
---Only the burden of life itself. By formally acknowledging thee kin, the Doom will suffer ye to leave this place alive, nor will it trouble thee in thy travels.---

A glance behind you reveals unblemished floor. There is no sign of the pool.

---Of thine own will, freely given, must this choice be. We will not, can not, make it for ye.---

Elbryon
08-22-2008, 01:11 AM
"Well if that be the way im gettin outa ere den my will I give to ye freely. Watcha require o me?"

nijineko
08-22-2008, 09:38 PM
The figure gestures you to the front.

---Ye have been washed, cleansed... be ye now reborn.---

The floor in front of the throne area opens up, small tiles and bits of patterns crawling up and over each other until a rectangular pool is revealed. The figure gestures and unseen gentle hand lead you down some steps into the water. It is cold, but in comparison to the first pool, it is a sauna.

---Ye shall be immersed for only a few heartbeats, and then brought forth.---

The figure begin speaking... something... sounds which never issued from an humanoid throat, not entirely unpleasant, but very different. Another gesture; you feel the pressure of unseen hands lowering you gently into the water until you are completly immersed. A pause and the water warms and throbs-very much like a heart beating. You are lifted forth, breaking the surface of the water all at once and set upon your feet facing the throne. You can hear the floor closing up behind you.

An outfit of some kind floats before you. The wind whisks the water off of you, and then the robe, enwrapping you in the new garment, simultaneously. It fits surprisingly well, feeling much like the soft underlayer from a set of armor. On your left, from the patterns in the floor, multi-tiered sections rise smoothly to form a series of stacked comparments. One of the compartments opens and a bottle floats out.

This rises above your head and with a soft -pop- opens, tips, and spills a small amount of the contents onto the top of your head. You smell myrrh, mingled with various spices, a strong oder. The bottle closes and is whisked away. The figure comes right to the edge of the line of the teeth.

---Take a knee.---

Once you have done so, the figure hangs the scepter and the axe in the air, and makes a gesture as if to lay hands upon your head. The figure does not cross the line of teeth, however, with any part. You feel the phantom pressure of the hands upon your head. The extra fingers render the sensation subtly different. Again the figure speaks the incomprehensable language.

The most peculiar sensation spreads throughout your body. Your blood tingles and rushes through you in a way almost... joyful. The figure reaches back and snags the axe from the air, and holds it horizontally, speaking a few words. Then the figure reverses the axe, so that the blade is up and extends the axehead past the line of teeth. There is a silvery sparkle and distortion about the part of the axe which breeches the line of teeth. As the axe passes the teeth, it dulls and loses all luster, becoming much older looking.

The figure taps each of your shoulders thrice, in a manner most formal, speaking yet a third time. He finishes, but leaves the axe extended.

---Your gift, warrior. Weild it with honor, it shall shine again.---

A pause.

---One last thing ye must do. Part of ye must remain here. Part of us must go with ye. Blood thyself upon thine weapon, that it may ever know thee. And mark with thy blood, that place where thou awoke. From that place, take of the dust, and place it upon thy tongue. For from the dust we arose, and to the dust we return.---

Elbryon
08-23-2008, 02:16 AM
I will take hold of the ax and slowly make my way back to the pillar I woke up on taking enough time to turn back and look at the figure several times on my trip.

When I reach the pillar I will hold the axe just under the head and run my left hand across the blade just enough to draw some blood that I let drip. Then I will mix the blood with the dust on the top then clean the dust and blood from my finger in my mouth.

When I have finished I will again make my way towards the figure inside the teeth.

"Yer gift will be put te good use stranger." "Is there anything I can do to repay ye?" " I donna like ta be indebted."

nijineko
08-23-2008, 12:11 PM
There is a silvery flash as the axe passes the line of teeth. All is quiet as you walk to the slab, anoint it with your blood, and walk back.

---No more stranger, but kin.---

A pause.

---That is the nature of family. Debt cannot be repaid... it can only be passed forward to the next generation.---

A pause.

---Thou art well come. Now, go forth, find thy destiny.---

At the opposite end of the hall, there is a grating sound. An opening appears, letting in a wan shaft of reddish light, and there is a faint rumbling sound.

The figure steps back and raises the empty hand high.

---Hail the Last Earthmaster!---

Turning around, you see that every dust form stands on either side of the central walk, forming an honor guard. They raise their weapons, and one by one down the line, flourish and then cross the weapons overhead, forming an arch.

---Fare ye forth, Last of the Earthmasters!---

Elbryon
08-23-2008, 06:34 PM
"Earthmaster, ah like that, I woll not make you regret this. Fare ye well!"

I will make my way towards the exit after admireing the axe for a while.

Cross makes his way down the path framed by the weapons that the forms hold above him in an arch. No longer frightened he gives a slight nod to the figures as he passes each in the line. Before exiting the final door Cross turns to give a final look back towards the figure behind the teeth....

"Fair the well my Kin!"

nijineko
08-23-2008, 10:02 PM
When you turn back, you see the figures give one last salute... then with a ripple and a gust of wind the hall flows back to how it was when you first saw it. Dust enshrouded, silent, still, and dark. Only two things are different. The bier upon which you lay is pristine, but is still marked with a brilliant spot of crimson. And the axe is still firm in your grip, if dull.

nijineko
08-24-2008, 09:22 PM
You stride through the opening. It is a sort of tunnel, and you come to another row of teeth jutting up from the ground, but these are unmistakably stone. Beyond is a few low steps going down into the room. From above also hang teeth, much like in the room you just left. You walk into the room and turn to look up at the stone effigy. And then jump back slightly. The effigy is that of a massive reptilian monstrosity that you have never seen before, fully fleshed, and snarling. It's sudden movement is what startled you, but you realize swiftly that it is only closing, swinging shut on hidden hinges. The motion is very life-like, as if the mouth were truely closing. You see that the "steps" were actually the lips of the creature.

The artistry is astonishing, the polishing alone must have taken years of work, the natural colors and highlights of the stone give the carving an uncanny look of life. Surely whomever created this work of art knew these creatures face to face. Looking around the room, you realize that the entire room is formed of the gargantuan body of the creature wrapped around it. One arm juts up from below and it is holding a pool sized brazier in it's outstretched claws.

The pool is filled with molten magma, the source of the redish light that fills this room. The magma ebbs and flows slightly, resulting in a pulsating effect that eerily resembles a heartbeat. The other arm protrudes from the ceiling, grasping a truely massive crystaline chandelier that reflects and scatters the glow from the brazier. The clawed feet grip a doorway, in the wall to your right, as you stand with your back facing away from the head.

The tail is coiled around the rest of the doorway and takes up the last bit of wall between the door and the head you have just exited. The mouth finishes closing with a --*BOOM*--! There is a sudden sharp sense of dread, and you can somehow sense forms, dangerous forms sliding through the very rock of the floor and ceiling aiming for you. Just as quickly, you sense a sudden check.... The forms swirl around all about you without ever exiting the rock, as if they are smelling or tasting you.

Then you sense a feeling of respect and you can faintly sense a sort of bow in your direction. The forms ripple away and meld into the rock such that you can no longer sense them at all.

Elbryon
08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
I want to search the room, if these creatures acted so quickly to stop my intrusion into their space I can only assume they have done this to any other poor soul that has ventured this way.

Unskilled search.....

nijineko
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
You search the room, but do not find anything additional at all. Where a door should be in the doorway seems to be a blank stone face.

Elbryon
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
ooc: blank stone face? like a blank wall of stone or a visage on the wall?

nijineko
08-25-2008, 03:40 PM
{blank smooth stone}

Elbryon
08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Having watched various things erupt and then melt back into the stone I will walk up to where the door should be and simply push my hand onto it as if I'm trying to push through the door.

"If I be kin to you who live in deez 'alls lets just see how akin I am ta you."

nijineko
08-25-2008, 11:49 PM
The stone ripples, and your hand is held fast to the rock. A pattern, one of several, appear and change in the rock. A feeling of peace pervades you. You feel something enter your hand and crawl up through your arm, your shoulder, your neck, your head. You get the sensation of rummaging, and then something being added. It then sinks into your chest. Again, a sensation of something being added. It pokes at something as if testing it, but then it leaves whatever that was alone. After a brief pause it flows back out of you into the stone.

Your hand sinks into the stone, as if it had become water, followed by the rest of you. There is a short journey through solid rock. As you pass you dimly sense some of the forms that had earlier investigated you nearby in the rock. They are completely quiescent.

You emerge from the rock, and are blinded. After some time, your eyes adjust to a shaft of brilliant natural sunlight. It is so brilliant that you can see nothing of the space that you are in. The shaft is horizontal, spilling down a few steps and across the floor, shining directly on you. You can smell fresh air, grass, water, and sun-warmed rock. A soft breeze beckons you forward.

Elbryon
08-26-2008, 12:39 AM
First I would like to see if I am able to get back the way I came. Then I will carefully make my way up the steps and get a better sense of my current surroundings.

nijineko
08-26-2008, 01:31 AM
When you turn around to try to go back the way you came, you find your way blocked with very large, truly impressively huge crystals which have somehow managed to get between you and the way you came. In the light brightly reflected through the crystals it is hard to make out anything, but after a few moments you note that the crystal formations are interlocked in some sort of barely discernible pattern. The crystals do not seem inclined to get out of your way.

There are three steps leading up to an opening of some sort, one without frame.

Elbryon
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I will slowly make my way up the three steps and have a look around. What do I see?

nijineko
08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
You are standing scant inches from where the sunlight streams in. There is an abrupt change before you. On your side there is darkness-except where the sunlight streaming in throws stark shadows and reflected glints-and rock and crystals. On the other side, there is an explosion of growths... grass, short stubby trees, mushrooms, moss covered rocks, and a distance away, an expanse of water, shrouded in a mist that defeats even the brilliant sun which must be riding high in the sky, as you cannot see it.

Elbryon
08-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Holding my new axe at the ready I will make my way completely out of the hole and try to get my bearings. I wish to make my way down to the water all that dust makes even a dwarf thirsty and since I don't have any mead water will have to do.

nijineko
09-05-2008, 06:36 PM
You step out into the light and onto soft grass. All around you is tumbled rock and soil covered in a tough wiry grass and small, stunted-looking, but very green, trees. The sun is indeed high in the sky, and penetrates you with a clean warmth. Responding to that warmth, something awakens inside your chest, and unfolds. Unbidden, the arm holding the axe swings slightly until the axe is pointing along a specific direction. The direction indicated runs roughly along the shoreline you can see in the near distance. Intuitively, you realize that this... something... was what was examined but left alone earlier.

Making your way down towards the water, you are distracted by a fresh streamlet chattering down through some cracks, and then leaping off some rocks on it's way towards the larger body of water. The water smells clean. You can hear the myrid small sounds of insects and animals going about the business of life. The breeze blows now and again. The wind swings around and begins blowing from the direction of the water. A damp earthy smell is brought with it.

Elbryon
09-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I will stoop down and have a quick drink from the creek before continueing towards the larger body of water talking more to the axe than myself...

"If this be da way ye be wantin ta go then by all means you lead!"

nijineko
09-13-2008, 08:20 PM
The way is rough going, but you find yourself comforted by the many jumbles of rocks. Eventually you find yourself approaching the shore. From the tiny size of the waves, you figure that this must not be the ocean, nor open out onto it. The water smells strongly of earth, that and plant matter, lots and lots of plant matter. From this close, the water appears more green than blue. The mist above the water is thin here near the shore, but further out it becomes an impeneratable fog that defeats even the bright sun.

The shore is made of large rocks and rough gravel, all of which is covered by moss and various low lying plants. You catch glimpses of small scurryings, and many many insects. Some little whiney insects begin zipping around your ears and nose. Ahead, a number of large corvid are flapping among the rocks harrying various small shelled things of many legs. Some of them pause to warily watch your approach. One caws harshly.

Elbryon
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Keeping an eye and ear toward the water I am going to make my way towards where the corvid are digging, shoo them away, and check to see what the one seems so interested in digging out of the sand.Searching the ground that the covid is digging in...

damn I hope it's real obvious otherwise unless it bites me I'm going to miss it

nijineko
09-20-2008, 08:45 PM
The corvid shoo only reluctantly, and with much cawing and the occasional dart of a razor sharp beak at you. They cluster around you on the rocks nearby, voicing their complaints raucously. All you find are some of the shelled creatures, which you note have a large claw on one hand. The shelled creatures run back and forth in a diagonal pattern fleeing from you. The corvid pounce on the fleeing creatures, deflecting the claw swipes with deft parrying of the long beak, and then dispatching the creatures with a single powerful thrust between the eyestalks. Taking the limp prey by one of it's legs, they slam their capture against the rocks, cracking the shells open, and then feasting on the meat inside.

Elbryon
09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
"Ah hope dem derrty creatures taste good, I apologise for da intrusion birdies."

With that I will continue to make my way in the general direction that the axe has indicated along the shore. I do wish to remain about 10-15 yards from the shore, dwarves don't float and I don't want to prove it.

nijineko
09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
The rough terrain makes for slow going, if remaining reassuringly in continous contact with the rocks. You are swiftly begrimed by the numerous patches of moss and lightly coated with dust from the many mushrooms that seem to thrive here. You travel for several hours without incident along the shoreline seeing only rocks, water, mist, stunted trees, more of the corvid-singly and once more in a group, and various other small wildlife.

Rounding a small hill of tumbled rock, you see another corvid sitting on a branch of a tree. It looks your way and caws harshly. You stop and think a bit. Come to think of it, you've been seeing a lot of those corvid over the past few hours, and most of them were alone. You begin to wonder if you should be suspicious about this single corvid.

Elbryon
09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I will stop my forward progress and turn to look at this single corvid not exactly being familiar with air creatures I'm going to simply say, in common.

"Oy! birdie are ye followin meh? If thar be somthin ya be needin ere wantin from me oll do what I kin ta help ya."

More to myself than to the bird after I finish my statement.

"Och, are ye goin daft Cross ole man talkin to da bird like that?"

nijineko
10-09-2008, 09:57 PM
The corvid cocks it's head several ways, eying you from one side and then the other in the manner of birds everywhere. Suddenly it lets loose a loud !CAW! and flaps off directly towards the nearby water. There is a small space of silence before the fauna starts sounding again.

Elbryon
10-10-2008, 10:09 AM
First thing I would like to do before I continue in the direction I was traveling, I'm goin to make my way towards the edge of the water where the corvid flew and see if I can tell where they are flying to. If not I will keep going in the same direction as before.

nijineko
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
You make your way down to the edge of the water, weaving between the rocks and growths. By the time you make it to the water's edge, a mist has arisen on the water, making it hard to see. The mist quickly thickens, so that within the space of a few seconds it has become a fog thick enough to obscure the sun. It moves to either side of you, almost as if to envelope you.

Elbryon
10-22-2008, 10:43 AM
"Bah! Damned fog! Ope ye ave fun flyin oot there birdie but I don't relish a swim today."

I will continue to hold my axe at ready until I can see clearly again and start making my way back in the direction the axe seemed to want me to go. I want to keep a watchful eye towards the water as to not get suprised by anything that may come out of it.

nijineko
12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
The fog does not clear right away, but you draw comfort from the axe you hold. Abruptly, the fog evaporates, as if it suddenly remembered that the sun was shining. As it clears, several figures are revealed standing in the water a short distance from the bank. Scaly reptilians regard you silently. They wear some kind of form fitting skin, fashioned somewhat like armor, and most carry tridents. One, standing in the center, carries instead a staff of some sort, and the corvid rests upon a scaled shoulder. One claw idly caresses the beak of the corvid.

Elbryon
12-18-2008, 01:55 PM
I will stop my progress and turn to regaurd the figures that stand in the water. Shifting my axe to my other hand across the front of me to ensure that the figures see it (though not wielding it in a threatening manner) I will attempt to communicate with the figures to discern their intentions.

In common.
"Oy! Good day to yeh. Kind of nasty weather yallv got around 'ere. That fog makes it kinda 'ard for a man ta see where 'es goin. Oy! hello birdy ye finally found who ye was lookin for eh? Is there somthin I kin help you folks with."

I will stay vigilant and watch for any sign that they have ill intentions towards me before I continue.

nijineko
01-19-2009, 08:30 PM
For a few unblinking moments, the reptilians regard you silently. Then the corvid-perched one speaks. His voice is sibilant and rough. "Whhhat do you in thessse partsss? Whhhere hhhasss you come from, and whhhere are your companionsss?"

Elbryon
01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
"I am new ta these parts. I arrived only a short time ago rather unexpectedly. I was walking down ta get me some breakfast when poof ah was bein dragged through a storm a sorts and ended up here. If you kin help me out ah still donna know where exactly here is? I travel with noone ah am by myself just tryin ta find someone who can tell me where ah am and give me some direction as ta where I might want ta go."

I will shoulder my ax and try and assume a less aggressive posture hoping to get some information from these beings as to where I am and maybe figure out what I can do next.

nijineko
01-27-2009, 02:19 AM
The reptilian man regards you silently for a while, his scaled face giving no clue as to the thoughts behind it. He glances at the corvid once, who squawks and makes a few croaking sounds. Finally, he speaks, "Thhhere isss sssomething ssstrange about you, dwur. Ssstay away from thhhe ssshoresss, lessst you become meat for thhhe potsss." He raises an arm and points at an angle away from the shoreline. "Thhhat way. You will find a ssstream. Follow it away from thhhe Missstwatersss." At this pronouncement, some of his companions turn their heads slightly to regard him, but remain silent.

Elbryon
01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
A small chuckle escapes my lips before I am able to answer the man "Oll be meat fer noones pot lad."

Composeing myself better suited to cordial conversation, "Ah donna plan ta get any closer ta the blasted water ifn thats what yer worried aboot so od be glad ta follow yer stream but kin ya tell me where it goes? A'm fresh ta these parts an a'd like ta not get lost any more then ah already am."

occ: How many of the reptilian men are present at the shore? How far from the waters edge are they? Do they appear to be armed?

nijineko
01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
.... Scaly reptilians regard you silently. They wear some kind of form fitting skin, fashioned somewhat like armor, and most carry tridents. One, standing in the center, carries instead a staff of some sort, and the corvid rests upon a scaled shoulder....

{{{there are seven of the reptilians. four carry tridents, one a staff and the corvid, the remaining two seem weaponless (the ones one either side of the staff-wielding one), though all are wearing the described skin. they are approximately ten to fifteen feet from where the water laps the shore. you are some twenty to twenty-five-ish feet from them, but the terrain is still pretty rough, if easier than the further elevation you were walking at before. }}}


The reptilian's eyes narrow as he considers this. His inner lids catch a flash from the sun as they flick over his eyes. "You come from nowhhhere, you know not whhhere you go... can it be?" He mutters something almost inaudiable, holding the staff in the crook of an arm while he uses one hand to tick off points, or count something, on the claws of his other hand.

{{{make a listen check to try to catch what he is saying}}}

Elbryon
01-28-2009, 12:08 AM
1d20+2

"Yep! yer right on both counts ah donna know ow ah got 'ere an ah donna even know where 'ere is so any 'elp would be a boon."
--- Merged from Double Post ---
<<so it has been so long since I've used the dice roller I forgot how it worked so I had to go practice. Now that I have it figured out here is my listen check>>

Listen Check

<<crap my practice roll was much better but there it is a 5>>

nijineko
02-13-2009, 01:44 AM
The reptilian finishes his ticking of claw-tips, and looks intently at you again. His tongue briefly flashes into view, as he tastes the air. "Oh dwur whhho knowsss not whhhere hhhe goesss, hhhave you a guide?"

Elbryon
02-13-2009, 11:43 AM
"Nah, Ive no guide to speak of, I arrived alone and have remained so. Om not a huge fan of the water so if ah would ave had one Id ave ad im take me away from ere much quicker, no offense. Is there one oh yous that might show meh the quickest route to civilization."

Still wary I will wait for an answer before I decide what to do next maybe one of these creatures will help me out.

nijineko
02-13-2009, 04:07 PM
The reptilian ponders for a long silent moment.... Finally, he stirs. He looks up at the corvid for a moment, who then flaps heavily off his shoulder and glides around behind you. He gestures at the corvid, "Follow. I mussst be sssure of sssomethhhing before you leavvve." The corvid squawks expectantly and flies off a short distance to a rock, looking around back at you.

Elbryon
02-13-2009, 05:21 PM
"Not really the guide I expected but if da birdy knows where its goin the oll surely follow."

I will follow the corvid as closely as it allows me to so as not to lose it in the mist around the lake. I do not however want to sacrifice falling on a sharp rock just to make him happy. As carefully as I can and not wasteing undo amounts of time I will follow

nijineko
02-17-2009, 01:26 AM
The corvid flaps heavily ahead, pausing every now and again to check on your progress. An occasional censoring caw complains of your laggardly careful ways. The reptilians keep pace a few steps behind you. The entourage is silent, except for the chuffing of breath, the corvid-who has no hesitation in sharing an opinion, and the surrounding wildlife and wind. Some time passes.

Passing through a rough spot between two rocky shoulders, you come to a suddenly level area. A small circle of great standing stones sits in a shallow bowl, through which a stream meanders. The stream broadens into a pool inside the standing stones, causing the inside of the circle to appear as a hole into another sky. Upon sighting the circle, the other reptilians give voice for the first time. A hissing slurring speech that is totally incomprehensible to you. There are murmurs from the weapon-wielding ones, but the loudest complaint, or so it sounds like to you, comes from one of the empty handed ones. The reptilian draws up to his full impressive height, and thuds his staff resoundingly on the rocks he stands on, replying rebukingly in the same manner of speech.

At his words, the other empty-handed one speaks something short, and turns and returns the way everyone came. The remainder of the reptilians follow suit, some muttering a few words, eventually leaving you alone with the staff-holder, and the corvid.

The corvid cackles harshly, which utterance the reptilian ignores. "Come, enter the circle." He waves you ahead of him.

Elbryon
02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Curious to see what is about to befall me but wanting more than anything else to just get back to civilization I will enter the circle with the reptilian for no other reason than to hasten things along.

"Ah already had mah bath for the month." I will say with a slight chuckle hoping not to anger the staff wielding reptile.

nijineko
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
He carefully watches you enter the circle, eyes narrowing as you do so. The tongue flickers in and out. You note that the water inside the ring is shallow, barely topping your ankles, and that the surface feels like rough but level stone beneath your feet. There are quite a few shaped rocks projecting from the water. You look down, and then quickly back at the ring as you are struck by a sudden sense of vertigo. You are not reflected in the pool, neither are the smaller rocks... just the endless sky above and the great menhir about you.

The reptilian treks around the circle to the point where the stream enters the ring, and enters with the stream. It appears to be only about ankle deep. The reptilian gestures you over to where he stopped, next to an angled rock with a bowl-like depression in it. This rock is accompanied by a semi-circle of small broad rocks, low to the water.

From an unseen pocket in the reptilian's armor, he draws a small bowl, ornately carved of some odd silvery-whitish substance. From the bowl he plucks a small packet, which proves to contain a stoppered vial; the bowl is placed in the depression, the vial laid on the wrap next to it. Then the reptilian uses his longer thumb-claw, which you note also has been carved with ornate scrim-shaw, to draw a shallow cut along part of his palm. "Blood."

Then he uses the same claw to dig into one end of the cut, nimbly twisting it to excise off a bit of flesh. "Flesssh." Next, he uses the claw to shave off a bit of another claw. "Bone." He picks up the vial and unstops it, pouring it slowly into the bowl, without touching the bowl. "Water of thhhe body." Finally he breathes long but lightly into the bowl. "Breathhh."

Then he steps back and gestures you forward. "Do."

Elbryon
02-25-2009, 12:32 AM
I will take out my dagger and draw a line across my palm. "Blood." I then take the tip of my dagger and shave off some of the edge of the new wound. "Flesh." Trying to follow his example as closely as I can I use the dagger to trim off one of my untended nails. "Bone." Giving a slightly hopeful look I will bend over the bowl and allow a stream of saliva to escape my lips, I'll wipe the little bit that gets caught in my beard on my shirt sleeve and, "Water of the body." Finally I will breath long and soft into the bowl. "Breath."

After I have finished I will stand up and wait to see if I have passed the test.

*edit for water of the body*

nijineko
02-25-2009, 12:49 AM
The reptilian looks at you for a while, blinks once, then steps forward. Another packet is drawn from someplace, and a reddish powder is sprinkled into the bowl. Both packets and the vial are tucked away. Making some gestures above and around the bowl, the bowl is then carefully swept up by the claw tips, and lowered to the surface of the water. The bowl is then swirled in circles as it is lowered bit by bit until finally some water slops into the bowl.

The contents of the bowl hiss loudly, as if the water instantly boiled. The bowl is swiftly, but carefully, placed back into the depression. A curt gesture beckons you to the opposite side of the stone from where the reptilian is standing. A streamer of mist rises from the bowl.

Elbryon
02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
I will quickly take my place opposite the reptile and watch the mist.

nijineko
03-11-2009, 12:32 AM
The streamer of mist sways hypnotically, gaining thickness and opacity. Abruptly the watery surface inside the ring erupts with mist which flows into the sky with force enough that you feel it as a blow. Your hair and clothing whips about your body as the thick clinging mist whistles past you. It imparts a sensation of falling so strongly that you can no longer sense the ground beneath you.

Just as suddenly, the mist is gone, diminishing above you into a swiftly shrinking cloud. With alarm, you realize that you are actually falling from the sky. Your heart barely has time to skip a beat when, twisting, you impact the earth on your feet with a thunderous boom. The Earth-feel flows into you making you strong. Standing up from the crouched down position you landed in, you stretch out the kinks.

You are massive and strong, your thews pillars fit to uphold the heavens, your mere step brushes aside the ancient trees that barely reach your waist. Your cry of joy at your sheer strength levels all before you, sending forth a massive flurry of leaves ripped from the trees. You are connected to the earth, feeling everything around you.

Then you open your eyes. There is an endless sky to both your right and left, strewn with fire. After some moments of disorientation, you realize that you are laying on your side upon some of the smaller stones that surround the big stone. You feel a momentary terror of the big stone that fades as swiftly and inexplicably as it seized you. The fire is the morning sun casting its' orange light across the sky-reflecting water.

Fragments of dream-like pieces float about you, fading, slipping away. The Four Ways. The Threatening Hammer striking the Anvil. The overwhelmingly pressing need for swiftness. Enmity between all Four, but most of all between two of the Four. Fatalism. The Sky-Ring breaking. The Forever Wound lost and invisible.

You sit up, looking around. Your axe stands at attention upon one of the rocks, unsupported. The reptilian is sitting in or on the water, regarding you, your axe, or both, steadfastly unblinking.

Elbryon
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I will regain my composure as I stand up, straightening my clothes I will reach for my axe.

"Oy! at was a wee bit odd. Did ah pass the test?"

Trying to keep an eye on the reptilian to see if I can discern his reaction to what has just happened.

nijineko
03-20-2009, 01:10 AM
He eyes you unblinkingly for a time. "No tessst." Long pause. "You aaare more than whaaat you ssseem." He is about to speak again when you hear a low, deep, throbbing sound. He jumps upright, then freezes in place, cocking his head to listen intently.

The sound is intermittent, with pauses that strike you as deliberate.

The reptilian suddenly hisses, and his inner lids flutter oddly across his eyes. He shakes his head slightly, and then drops something into the depression where the bowl had been sitting. "You, leave, thhhere!" he exclaims, pointing to a specific arch with one claw. "Firssst, drop sssomethhhing sssmall of value hhhere." And he points to the depression. So saying he turns abruptly and heads for the archway where the stream exits the circle, opposite where he entered before. He is greeted by loud caws from the corvid, who apparently remained outside of the ring the entire time.

You hear an exchange of hisses and caws, and from the increasing tone thereof, gather that some sort of disagreement is taking place.

Elbryon
03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I will reach in and drop a single gold piece into the depression. Not in nearly as big a hurry as the reptilian I shoulder my axe and make my way towards the arch he indicated that I leave by.

Shaking my head, "O'll never understand you surface folk. Some crazy stuff yall got goin up 'ere. Now, is one o ya goin ta be able ta help meh get outa 'ere?"

nijineko
03-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Once you have exited, the reptilian practically bounds in his haste to get part way around the circle of stones. "Hsssaassaaashshss.... You, fffollowsss water. At fffork, take righhht watersss, righhht only!" He makes an emphatic gesture with right arm, pointing upstream of the water that enters the stone circle, then slashing it to his right. Then he slaps his left hand to his right shoulder. "At hhhead, risssing sssun, hhhere, from ssshoulder!" He stands as erect as possible and brings his hand about 15 degrees forwards from his shoulder. "Sssun hhhere!" He flexes his claws meaningfully. "Fffind black fffield withhh lighhhtning armsss." He extends his left arm fully to the left, and extends his right arm over his head, then slowly brings them through a full arc as if turning some massive wheel. "Thhhen sssun hhhere!" His right arm is extended back behind him and he looks over his shoulder to check that the angle is right. "Go until you fffind deep clear watersss."

The throbbing sound becomes louder, and is joined by a crickety sound, only very deep. "Go! Now! Until no drumsss you hhhear! Quick!"

He turns and runs, leaping over the terrain, around the circle and downstream, still spitting sounds at the corvid, which flaps its wings frantically to keep its perch, and squawks back.

Elbryon
03-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Off I go, as quickly as I can muster, upstream taking only the briefest of glances behind me to make sure I'm not going to get hamstrung.

nijineko
04-16-2009, 06:22 PM
He runs downstream and out of sight, but you momentarily spot the corvid flapping heavily off to the side, away from the reptilians direction, or from yours. Soon even the stone ring is lost from sight as the thicker growth on the banks of the stream increases. You splash upstream for a ways, but notice that the stream is getting deeper as you go. You reach a fork, both pouring into the stream you stand in, the left fork is fairly deep, the right fork is clearly a small but swift stream.

Elbryon
04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
I will look to see if I can find perhaps a game trail that follows along the deeper water if not I will continue down the swifter moving, shallower stream to the right.

nijineko
04-17-2009, 03:24 PM
The banks are high enough that there is not an easy place to climb up, or for animals to climb down. You start along the stream to the right. The throbbing sound, which you can still hear, abruptly stops. You have a bad feeling.

Elbryon
04-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Hoping that my suspisions are unfounded I will stop my journey upstream and turn around to make sure that noone is following me.

nijineko
04-18-2009, 02:08 AM
{{{spot check?}}}

Elbryon
04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
1d20+4
occ. sorry forgot how to roll

Spot Check
so the check gave me 23

nijineko
04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
You look around carefully. Everything is still. Too still. And with a start, you notice that the only sound you hear is the wind.

Elbryon
04-28-2009, 12:56 AM
I will then continue on the course upstream as the lizardman instructed hopefully I can find some more "friendly" folks. I do wish to have my axe ready just in case.

nijineko
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
You continue onward, bothered by the continued silence, broken only by your movements and the sound of the water. Your heartbeat thuds in your ears, and your breathing is loud against the stillness. Abruptly, in the all-too-near distance behind you, there is an explosion of sounds... that of birds fleeing in fear, and animal calls, all sounding panicked, and underneath it all, deep bass croaking.

Elbryon
05-13-2009, 09:56 AM
If there is an easy way to get up on the bank of the creek I will do that now and ready my axe for what is "croaking" and chasing all the animals in front of it.

nijineko
05-13-2009, 11:23 PM
The banks are somewhat lower here, and there are many handy bushes, some of them would provide a handy brace for pulling oneself out of the creek. After some scrambling, you successfully pull yourself up the bank. You wind up having to push through the bushes in order to find a place to stand and have room to swing. This prevents you from seeing more of the creek than its opposite bank. You look down river.

After a brief moment, a number of animals, mostly various kinds of birds, with some smaller plant grazing types come into view, followed by loud splashing sounds. The birds fly by, and you see the animals trying to find a spot to jump the banks. One bird cries suddenly as it is partially enveloped by something long, thin and whip-like and just as quickly is yanked down below the bushes. There is some more loud splashing, and a deep bass croak from the other side of the screening bushes. There is the distinct sound of a long sniff just audible over the sounds of the retreating animals.

Elbryon
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I will emerge from the bushes and get ready for the nasty frog that I am believing I will see on the other side of the bushes. (Hoping to get a little bit of a suprise on the beast.)

nijineko
06-01-2009, 01:40 AM
[[[roll for initiative, please. will you be charging up to the edge of the bank you just climbed up, or all the way down? the bushes grow up to the edges of the bank.]]]

Elbryon
06-02-2009, 09:43 AM
[Up to where I can see/attack what is chasing me. I still feel I have a little bit of suprise on whatever was following me]

Initiative

initial roll is a 1 it's been long enough I don't recall whether it is used this way or not so I put it in incase.

nijineko
06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
You turn and move back through the bush to a step or two away from the lip. The bushes partially block your view, but the creature is so large, that you have no trouble identifying it. A toad, a monstrously huge toad. It apparently spots something above your head and it's heavy tongue snaps out, quicker than the eye can follow, and lands heavily in the bush next to you. It is as quickly withdrawn, and followed by a hacking sound. Apparently leaves and twigs are not the preferred intake. You hear more croaking in the near distance, but for the moment it is you and the toad.

Elbryon
06-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I will wait until the toad seems to be focused in the opposite direction and while he is otherwise occupied I will attack. I don't believe the high ground gives me any advantage because of all the bushes but I want to stay in them as best I can to use them as a sort of barrier.

attack roll
damage

nijineko
06-13-2009, 03:24 AM
The toad is occupied trying to clear its mouth.

[[[the high ground gives a plus one to strike. ]]]

Your blow feels off, but you manage a glancing strike. The toad moves away from the bank a waddle and attempts to lash you with its tongue.

nijineko rolls some dice

The toad misses. It is now about 5' away from the bank, technically out of normal melee range.

Elbryon
06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
[[[I will wield my axe as a reach weapon this turn. +3 to damage -3 to hit reach of 10']]]

As the huge toad turns it's great bulk around I will bring my axe to bear on its ample head.

initiative

attack roll

damage

nijineko
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
The bushes unexpectedly tangle the axehead as you bring it around and switch your grip, deflecting your attack slightly. Your strike glances off of the giant toad's horny exterior, doing nothing but minor cosmetic damage. About to attack, it seems surprised that you can reach it. It looses a deep bass croak, and tries to waddle backwards out of your reach.

{{{AoO for you!}}}

Elbryon
06-18-2009, 09:34 AM
As the giant toad tries to waddle away I will take another swing at his massive body before he has a chance to get out of the way.

AoO

damage

nijineko
06-26-2009, 04:06 AM
A quick readjustment and a thrusting slice carves out one of its eyes! Whereupon, the toad looses a massive deep somehow pained-sounding croak... which is answered excitedly from all too close by. You don't have any time. And the toad is now out of your reach, unless you descend to the stream again.

Elbryon
06-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Not really prepared to be fighting multiple opponents in this environment I am going to pull back into the bushes for some cover and try to continue on my way.

"Remember that sting yer big wart!" I call back as I weave my way into the bushes.

nijineko
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Shortly after you disappear into the bushes there is quite the uproar behind you, a discordant medley of croaks, along with some hissing speech in the tones of cursing. Time to put some serious distance between you and your pursuers.

Elbryon
06-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I will try and continue in the same direction that I was going only now on land. The roar of the water to my side will keep me headed in the right direction. If at any point I can no longer hear the water I will retrace my steps until I can find it again. That is the only clue I have as to where I am going.

nijineko
06-29-2009, 11:18 AM
You make decent time for a while, ignoring the many small catches and jabs of twigs and branches. But eventually you realize that yours is not the only heavy body pushing through the underbrush. Some not-distant-enough croaks clinches it. You are being pursued.

Elbryon
06-29-2009, 02:51 PM
This toad is not going to give up until I kill it. What kind of surroundings am I in as I need to find somewhere that my small stature will give me an advantage against this great beast. As I search for this place I will however continue on my current path until I am either caught or find a defensible area on my own.

nijineko
06-30-2009, 12:13 AM
As you rush along you are forced to veer from the stream due to some broad trees. Beyond that is a copse of taller thin trees. They are close enough that it should interfere with any large creature trying to get through, but will also limit any side-to-side strikes with your weapon. Vertical strikes should be effective though, as the branches are high enough up that they should not tangle if you are careful. You think this might work.

Elbryon
06-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I will get myself into position between some of the trees and get ready for the toad to show up. While I wait I'm going to take a couple practice swings to get used to fighting in these cramped quarters. If I'm at least a little more prepared when he gets here I'm hoping I have the advantage and can end this quickly.

nijineko
07-07-2009, 05:15 PM
All too soon, the croaking closes in on you. It seems to be all around you. Soon you discover why, as you see a toad hop into the grove. It is smaller, relatively, than the monster you fought earlier. It is only about the same size as yourself. It sniffs audibly, and pauses, perhaps looking around. It lets out a loud croak, which is echoed shortly from either side, but a short distance away. It hops along somewhat tentatively, as if following or searching for something. It does not seem to see you as you hold still, hopping closer and closer. If it keeps on going it will either run into you, or spot you, surely.

Elbryon
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM
This not being the same toad I encountered earlier I will hold my position for the time being waiting to see if it will pass me by. I am however going to be ready and watching so as not to be suprised.

nijineko
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
It hops closer and closer, sniffing and obviously following some trail... your trail. It stops and looks around, but fails to spot you. It does however let out a loud croak before you can do anything, which is echoed not to far away. You are certain it has at least picked up on your scent.

Elbryon
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
While this first toad is still sniffing around and hopefully hasn't seen me I will make an attack I think my chances will be better if I can only deal with one of them at a time.

initiative
attack
damage

nijineko
08-27-2009, 12:36 AM
You catch the toad by surprise, though the wound you dealt it was not fatal. It croaks and scrambles back instead of attacking right away, continuing to croak loudly.

{{{ this movement provokes an AoO against the toad, which you may take if you wish to attack again. }}}

Elbryon
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I will swing again as the toad backs away from my first attack.

attack

damage

nijineko
09-01-2009, 11:15 PM
That strike was much more solid and the toad croaks in pain. You hear answering croaks and rustling thumps as things move through the underbrush towards you. It lashes out with it's tongue at you.

tongue attack...
damage if attack strikes...

Elbryon
09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
"Ah kint 'ave more thin one o' you pesky buggars surrounding me all at once now can I?"

I want to get rid of this toad as quickly as I can so I don't have to fight multiples at once I will attack again.

init
attack
damage

nijineko
09-17-2009, 04:11 PM
You reach out and with the added momentum to your swing split the head of the toad in half. It collapses to the ground, limp... dead. It's tongue twitches a few times. Some rustling in the underbrush that the now-dead toad came out of heralds the imminent arrival of one or more reinforcements.

Elbryon
09-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Hoping to be able to catch the next creature by suprise as it rolls in and sees it's companion lying dead before it I will take a cautious step back and get ready for the next thing that comes through the bushes.

nijineko
09-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Some rustling bushes disgorge another toad, of a size to the first. It sniffs, then croaks in astonishment and backs up against the bushes. More shaking and differently pitched croak reveal that another toad is just behind the first.

Elbryon
09-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Not wanting to get surrounded by these two toads I want to push the attack while they are still both in front of me. Hoping there is not another one already flanking me I will step out and attack the one that is visible.

initiative

attack

damage

nijineko
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
With reach, a solid blow! The toad croaks loudly, immediately echoed by the one behind it in the bushes. In reply you hear sibilant yelling, and a deep bass croak followed by a loud thump from behind the bushes... one that you can actually feel through the ground. The giant toad must have found a way out of the river bed....

Elbryon
10-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Three of them! and one is the big boy I can't let them get around me I have to finish off this one and then get moving to find a more defensible spot maybe further into the thick bush.

initiative
attack
damage

nijineko
10-27-2009, 04:08 PM
The first toad springs back, spraying fluid. It is deeply wounded, and seems to be trying to flee. The second toad eyes you, croaking excitedly, but makes no move other than to stay well out of reach. You can just see the heaving back of the large toad beyond the copse of trees and bushes. You also spot the top of a trident, and hear some slurred hissing speech in odd contrast to the croaking all about. The trident dips and you hear the deep bass croak protesting being so prodded.

Elbryon
10-30-2009, 09:50 AM
It looks like I am getting in a little deep and being in these high bushes this close to the water may not be the best place for me. I am going to back away from the group keeping my eyes towards them and ready for a fight. I need to get to a place I can operate comfortably in, somewhere that my axe is not hindered by the branches and brush.

nijineko
11-21-2009, 02:55 AM
You began backing out into the ring of bushes. After some more heated hissing speech, the opposite end of the little clearing heaves as the giant toad begins thrusting itself through the opposing brush. The smaller toads croak ecstatically. You can see the tops of heads of at least two reptilians, neither of which seem familiar, nor friendly.

Other than the toads and the reptilians, all else seems quiet, not even the wind is blowing. The river is not audible above the rest of the noise.

Elbryon
11-23-2009, 10:40 AM
It would appear to me those toads are being prodded by the reptilians lets see if since I am in this thicker brush if I can use my smaller stature to get around behing the group and get rid of the drivers maybe then the toads will leave.

nijineko
11-26-2009, 02:35 AM
{{{ interesting strategy!!! i'll need some move silent and hide checks, plus a general description of how you are going about that. thanks! =D }}}

Elbryon
11-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Tyring to move as quietly as he can Cross moves off to his left trying his best not to make too much noise or move the bushes too much to alert the toads or the drivers to his current location. Hopeing he can flank the drivers from the left side and minimize their influence on the giant toads.

hide

move silently

nijineko
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
The brush is close enough that you can't help but push past some, but you hope that in the general ruckus of the toads and the reptilians, that it won't be noticed. In any event, you are moving off to the side, and there does not seem to be any immediate change in course or noise from them.

Elbryon
06-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I will keep moving in as much the way I was intent on going but still trying not to draw the attention of the toads and lizardmen.

Move silently

nijineko
06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
You seem to be successful in obtaining a good position without drawing the attention of the toads or reptilians. You are at an angle somewhat behind them, which position will improve if they continue to move forward. At this juncture you notice that some of the smaller toads are hunched forward, almost as if sniffing or rooting at the ground. Their tongues flick out above the ground, as if tasting the air. The whole group moves forward a bit more as the toads seem to find something and move in a direction... in fact, the same direction you had taken earlier, just before circling around using the thicker brush.

Elbryon
09-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Cross takes note that the toads and drivers seem to be following his scent trail. He moves as quickly and quietly up behind the drivers as he can. "Maybe if I get back to the one that I killed before they catch up to me I can disguise my scent with its blood."

hide
move silently

nijineko
10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
*The frogs are noisy, and the reptilians are concentrating on them, maybe....*

nijineko
10-03-2012, 10:15 PM
*He heard something, and is looking back to see what it might have been...*

One of the reptilians stops, hisses something to the others, turns and begins to backtrack. Due to the brush, your relative stature, and the trees, you fail to notice this immediately and as you hurry up, you two meet each other nose to chest around the bole of a tree quite unexpectedly.

{{{please, roll initiative!}}}