PDA

View Full Version : Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the First: A Twisted Schema



nijineko
08-19-2008, 08:54 PM
The first thing you become aware of is a touch of vertigo, with nausea, and a pounding headache. After a few moments, however, these sensations fade, leaving you cautiously touching your head to see if the pain is really gone. You open your eyes....

Nothing.

Traces of panic thread inward. You blink, and suddenly you can distinguish shapes. Color, green, all green, in a riot of variations sweeps into what you see. Sound bursts inward, awakening a phantom throb of the headache. Slowly things become clear, or rather somewhat more clear. Massive trunks surround you, a dim glow of twilight green filters down from the shadowy branches above. Birds, frogs, insects, many throats give voice, creating a constant ocean of sounds.

An odd, somewhat unpleasant smell reaches your nose. It creates a heavy tang upon your tongue. You are laying on your back on a large patch of moss in a crook of roots at the foot of a giant tree. Above you on the trunk a mark that looks suspiciously like your up-side-down imprint is burned into the shelves of fungus growing there, though the tree appears superficially undamaged.



You are entirely alone.

Arahira
08-21-2008, 12:52 AM
I sit up but don't even attempt to stand until my head feels right again.

"Couldn't be in a city. No. Had to land in a damned forest." I mutter as I stand and straighten out and dust off my dress.

Nothing in hand I look around for my parasol and little bird.


Search check

When I find them both I double check all my pockets, fix my hair then look around to see if there was an obvious direction to go or if I was good and lost.

nijineko
08-21-2008, 02:18 AM
After a few moments of searching, you find them under where you were laying. Other than being a bit dirty, neither are damaged. The tree trunks stretch endlessly in antediluvian twilight in all directions. Noises attest to the presence of all too much fauna.

The occasional spear of sunlight forms a narrow golden shaft in the otherwise dim green shadows. Off in the near distance, you hear a loud crashing sound of something large moving. Briefly glimpsed, a few hart dash past.

After straightening and adjustments, you feel somewhat better. But the forest looks as dim and uninviting as ever. Turning in a slow circle you are about to give up on selecting a direction, when a warmth awakens in your heart and flows down your arm. Your arm rises involuntarily and points. The warmth pulses. You are drawn in that direction.

Arahira
08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I shake the dust off my parasol then wind my little bird back up and hope it still works. I look in the direction of the crash, watch the hart run by then go back to winding, or fixing if I must, my little bird. If I can't fix the little bird at the moment then I put it safely in my bag.

To attempt to repair my bird if need be:
Craft

I feel extremely creeped out by this sudden warmth, mainly the involuntary movement, but I just sigh and head in that direction. Anywhere was better then here.

*I think that little bird would have to be pretty messed up if I couldn't fix it with that roll.*

nijineko
08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Some minor cleaning out of the works, unwedging some dirt or similar matter, and the bird is winds up just fine. You strike of in the sensed direction, winding in and out of the massive trunks, clambering over tangles of roots where you must. Some squirrels chatter back and forth above your head, and soon you are batting away gnats and the like.

{does the bird play automatically when wound, or only when triggered?}

Arahira
08-22-2008, 01:17 AM
"Stupid bugs!" I whine as I keep walking."This forest needs a means of transportation other then my feet."

Tired from walking I flop on the ground to take a break." I'd better end up someplace nice where I can get a good meal." I complain more." And a bath."

A short break and I head off walking again.

* I was figuring a trigger. Otherwise it would sing all the time and that would get annoying. Maybe when I say a certain word it sings the tune of a song I know or something then stops when its gone through its cycle... like a music box type thing?*

nijineko
08-22-2008, 05:10 PM
You clamber around some more trees, and abruptly find a small vale. In the vale is a house. The first floor is stone, but the second is made of wood. A thickly thatched roof and rows of flower boxes lining the top of the stone walls give the house a natural charm. A slight break in the trees allows some meager shafts of sunlight to filter down, completing the picture. The door, a tall, wide, wooden affair, is visible from where you stand, it appears partly open.

Arahira
08-23-2008, 01:43 AM
"Finally. Signs of something other then trees." I mutter to myself as I approach the area. As I look around and I am reminded of a painting I once saw on the wall of my mother's studio.

"Cute." I say quietly with a raised eyebrow as I take a quick look around before approaching the door.

When I reach the door I knock, even though its open, and walk in." Hello?" I call out and hope I haven't made the owner of the house angry by entering." Anyone home?"

nijineko
08-23-2008, 10:37 AM
The house is dim, but enough sunlight filters through the open windows to see by. You are in a simply but well appointed room. There is an unlit fireplace to one side. And grouped around it are three chairs, each of a different size. Besides each chair a small matched table waits. There are some woven rugs upon the floor, and shelves line one side of the room. Various natural products resides there, bits of bark, herbs, flowers and the like, scenting the air.

There is a large straight staircase leading upstairs against the far wall. Underneath the staircase is a large doorway through which can be seen another room. There is a faint scent of musk in the air, barely detectable over the riot of scents all around. There are some vines growing from large pots which have climbed the wall near the fireplace, and along the beams overhead. They give off a sweet scent that reminds you of something.

Some large, fat bees take off from the vines overhead and bumble out the open windows with loud droning sounds.

Arahira
08-23-2008, 12:14 PM
I watch as the bees leave then look around the rest house, including upstairs. Is the place dusty or does it show recent signs of activity? Also I search for something to eat at the same time. I only go for the honey that might be on the vines as a last resort, I've had more then enough encounters with bugs for the day.

Search

Whatever I find to eat I sit at one of the chairs and tables. Wouldn't want to make a mess in a home that isn't mine.

nijineko
08-23-2008, 03:27 PM
You wander up the stairs and find a couple of bedrooms. The first, larger bedroom has two beds, with a woven rug in between. A closet takes up an angle in the the corner. There are more decorations, wooden carvings of fish, mostly. The second, smaller bedroom, has a small human-sized bed, and a scattering of wooden animals and plants of all sorts about on the floor. This room is somewhat messy. Another small closet takes up room in a corner.

Back downstairs, the room below the staircase proves to be a kitchen. Through a stone pipe protruding from the wall, water splashes continually down into a raised basin. It runs out through another stone pipe at the bottom, back the way it came. From the closet in the angle of the room comes an cool earthy smell. This proves to be a hallway of sorts leading down into the ground. A root cellar.

Hanging from overhead are many, many fish, smoked and cured, judging from the smell. Upon the counter near where the water pipe is, are three wooden bowls of differing sizes filled with some kind of mush. It smells of herbs and honey.

You take your selection into the first room, and find that the smallest chair is the only one sized for a human.

Arahira
08-23-2008, 05:24 PM
I grab one of the smaller fish from the cellar and take the middle sized bowl. I was hungry enough the small bowl wouldn't be enough but the big bowl was too much. I eat my fill, clean up my bowl and then decide it was about time I cleaned myself up.

I do my best to clean up my dress, reminding myself to make dresses with less lace on them next time as it was a pain to clean.

"Maybe Stripes next time too." I mutter as I'm scrubbing away."Dark ones."

I would clean my dress properly but I'm not really up for getting caught in someone else's house half dressed. Whoever these people were they could be home at any minute and that could be rather awkward.

All the walking, climbing, scrubbing and eating though makes for a very tired me. I wonder how angry they would be if I were to head upstairs to sleep. Those beds looked awful comfy. I think about it for a few seconds more then head upstairs. Maybe just a short nap. Going into the cluttered room with the smaller bed I take off my boots, lean my parasol against the wall, activate my little bird and sing quietly to myself until I fall asleep. Hopefully I'll wake up before they get home.

nijineko
08-24-2008, 06:08 PM
You sleep. At first the slighty musky scent to the bed troubles you, but finally your exhaustion catches up to you. You dream. In your dream, you are being held gently by someone you can't get a glimpse of. You seem to be floating, perhaps an elemental airship. Around you are dim figures milling about, and talking. Snatches of conversation can be heard through the periodic sounds of insects buzzing about the airship.



"Mommy, it stinks!" A high pitched voice.

*slap* "That's rude, dear, we don't talk like that about others." A soft rumble.

"Worse than roaches, they are." A deep bass.

"Now, you! How can we expect our little one to learn any manners when you don't show them yourself." The soft voice.

A deep *harrumph*

"Well, obviously it must be punished." A sly tenor.

"How? It's not one of us. There are the treaties, you know." The deep grumble.

"First, it destroyed that chair... second, it stole from you... third, like all of it's kind it moves in and makes itself at home. Besides, and forth, it's not supposed to be in our woods at all! It has already broken those worthless treaties." The sly persuasive voice.

"Why do you want that chair anyway? You've never made one, or wanted one before." The soft voice questions.

"I'm just being helpful. After all, now that THAT has destroyed it, what use is it to you? I'll take it off your hands, you'll make another one, anyway." The sly voice.

"Mommy, it makes so much noise!" The high voice.

*slap* "That's still rude, dear!" The soft voice, but a little more sharply.

"Mommy, mommy, it's waking up!!!" Ever higher than before, somewhat hysterically.

The oddness of the conversation finally penetrates, and the buzzing insects break off with an unlady-like snort.

Arahira
08-24-2008, 10:13 PM
'Oh Crap...' I think in my head as I realize the voices weren't a dream. Someone asks for your help and then they throw you to the dogs. Here I thought I'd get to see new things and maybe study new magics and here I am trespassing, stealing and about to die.

I sit up slowly, and as non threateningly as I can, then stand. I look at them only long enough to see who/what they are then keep my head down.

" I'm sorry." I say quietly." I'm not from here. I'm completely lost and I apologize for intruding in your house."

Diplomacy in hopes I don't get to die before I get to meet the people who dragged me here.

*I'm guessing not with that roll*

nijineko
08-25-2008, 12:38 AM
When you sit up, there is a general step back. Before you, crowding the room is a giant brown bear with crossed leather straps, bandolier style, and a thick leather belt with a metal buckle. Various things hang from the belt, but the one that rivets your attention is the one that the bear drops a paw to when you stand up... a really big sword.

On the other side of the doorway stands a smaller (but still much bigger than you) brown bear, wearing some kind of loose vestments. This bear also has a belt, narrow, and braided with flowers. A sickle hangs from it. Peeking out from behind this bear is a small brown bear, about your size, only much thicker. This one seems to be wearing a smart little jacket, but it keeps hiding behind the other.

Sitting in the doorway is a fox, also of brown coloration, though of mixed browns in stripes with some spots.

The middle-sized bear says, "Well, it was obviously hungry and tired...." This one has the soft voice.

The little one pipes up from behind, "It was rude not to ask first! No manners!" High voice.

The middle-sized bear raises a paw, pauses, then folds her claws primly. "You are right, dear."

During this exchange, the fox "whispers" to the big bear, "I warned you about making a home like this, now you have humans! And didn't I say so!" Sly, very sly.

The big bear just rolls his eyes, and huffs a bit.

The fox continues. "What are you going to do about the chair?"

"Don't be so impatient," the big bear replies. "I'll look at it first... maybe we can fix it." Big deep voice.

The fox snorts disbelievingly. "You shouldn't have to. If it hadn't broken the chair in the first place...!" This accompanied by a wave at you.

Arahira
08-25-2008, 11:25 AM
"Broken chair? Wait?" I raise a hand, though non threateningly."I admit to trespassing and stealing but only because you were not here to ask, to which I have apologized for. I am here by accident and know nothing of your treaties and laws. I even washed the dish I used but the chair? I broke no chair _but_ I can fix the chair?" I offer in what is in hopes a gesture of good faith.

Diplomacy again

If I still remain ignored I sit back down on the bed and start putting my boots back on.

*Damned d20s*

nijineko
08-26-2008, 12:14 AM
They all kind of stare at you.

Finally, the little bear pipes, "I want my chair fixed!"

The fox snorts in disbelief. "I don't think that is such a good idea," he snaps.

The big bear waves him back, "No, no, let the human try. It's trying to make up for what it's done."

The middle bear chimes in, "Yes, we are civilized folks, and after all, where there is no smell, there is no proof."

The fox chokes, "No proof?! I beg to differ...."

The big bear glares at him. "If you please."

The fox backs down, "But... of course,"

The bears all head downstairs leaving you to trail behind. The fox gives you a dire look when the bears are not looking.

Once everyone is gathered into the downstairs room, the big bear waves to the broken chair. "Well, here you go." The chair has the look of having been leaned on really hard. One back leg is splintered in such a way that it looks as if someone too heavy sat in it, and leaned back, only to have the back leg give way.

Arahira
08-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I put my boots on, pick up my little bird and parasol then follow the group downstairs. I ignore the fox's look but when I see the chair I raise an eyebrow in his direction.

After some thought I go about attempting to fix the chair.

*come on d20 don't fail me now*
*w00t!!*

Craft check

nijineko
08-26-2008, 12:31 AM
You kneel on the floor and gather up the pieces and inspect them carefully, building a picture in your head, planning how to get them all back together again. As you inspect, you notice something odd. The chair leg is partially hollow. A narrow tube has been bored into it somehow. You reflect that this hidden weakness is probably what made the chair leg easy to break. As you continue your inspection, you realize that something is just a bit further up inside the part of the chair leg still attached to the chair.

Arahira
08-26-2008, 12:39 AM
I frown and proceed to remove whatever was in the hollow.

nijineko
08-26-2008, 12:44 AM
You have discovered a long thin object that at first appears to be a wand wrapped in some kind of material, but then realize is a sort of thin scroll, tightly wrapped.

The large bear has been watching over your shoulder (easy to do, when one is 9 feet tall!) speaks up, "What have you found?"

{please make a listen check! }

Arahira
08-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Listen check.

" It seems to be a small scroll of some sort." I say and hold it up so the large bear can see it." May I open it?"

nijineko
08-26-2008, 01:16 AM
The big bear says, "Let me see that..."

The middle bear coughs, pointedly.

"Ah, please," adds the big bear. He delicately takes it out of your small hands with his very large claws. "Why..." he gasps! "This is one of the Rotundums! Whatever was it doing inside my chair?!"

The middle bear steps forward to peer at it. "Why, so it is! Husband, where did you get it?"

"From the chair! Err... rather, from the human! You saw it!" He waves a big arm around, fortunately over your head.

The little bear squeaks, "What'sa arou-dum-dum?"

"Noo, you! I obviously meant, where did you get the wood," she scolds.

"Well then, why didn't you say so in the first place," he booms!

"I did say so. You just didn't listen," she replies.

The fox interjects, "Are you sure? Why... this is wonderful news! We must... tell the council at once!" He clasps his paws joyfully.

"You have a point," say the father bear. He looks at his wife, "He has a good point."

"The wood?" she insists.

Arahira
08-26-2008, 01:24 AM
"Have I found something important?" I ask but just sit quietly if ignored and go back to fixing the chair.

nijineko
08-26-2008, 01:43 AM
"The old deadfall pile, the one over between Reahard's den and the Badger's burrow," he waves in the general direction.

The fox looks surprised, "Really? One wonders how it got there... exactly."

The mother looks down at you, "You've done well... and look how well you are fixing that. What a good job!"

"I'll... volunteer to take it... ah, to the Council, myself!" the fox sounds hopeful.

The father thinks about it for a while. He seems about to hand it over, when he says, "Thank you Reahard, but no. It was found in my chair, I'd best be the one to take it."

"Well, if you really think so," Reahard trails off weakly. When the bear shows no sign of changing his mind, Reahard says, "In that case, I should let the Council know the good news about one of the missing Rotundums being found." He looks down at you and says, "Well done... indeed." But his look is anything but praising. A chill goes down your spine as he sweeps out quickly.

Arahira
08-26-2008, 01:51 AM
I smile cutely at mother's praise then finish fixing the chair. The fox I attempt to ignore, obviously he had been the one to 'lose' the rotunda but it was not my place to point out such things.

"Is there anything else I can do to make up for what I've done?" I ask once I've finished fixing the chair.

nijineko
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
The bears look after the fox for a few moments. Then the mother breaks the silence. "We really need to eat." She looks down at you. "Thank you. Dear," looking at her husband, "Come see what a good job this human has done on the chair."

The big bear picks up the chair and inspects it closely. "Why, it is good work!" He looks at you. "Ah, *ahem* well done."

The mother says, "If you could help me make some more food, and then change out the bedding of little Timothie's bed, I think that would be just fine, don't you dear?"

"Er, umm, yes, of course," the father bear mumbles. He is still inspecting the chair.

Arahira
08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
"Thank you." I say to father bear then turn to mother bear ." Of course." I curtsy then go about helping the mother bear.

nijineko
08-30-2008, 09:42 PM
She has you scrub your hands several times, including under the nails, inspecting critically each time until she is satisfied, and your hands are starting to turn red. After you help make a varity of foods, leaving you smelling of various herbs, she insists on feeding you, claiming that you are much too thin.

Afterwards she has you stand near the corner and she concentrates for a few moments, then makes some gestures and growls something you can't understand. There is a ripple in the air which envelopes you, there is brief complex medoly of herbal scents, and suddenly the familiar oders of your clothes and self disappear. She says, "You humans have such a strong scent to us, this will help you out in that regard." Then she leads you upstairs to change the bedding.

Upon finishing and returning downstairs, you find the father pacing back and forth. "I've been talking with the birds, you know how they gossip," he begins. "No one knew of the missing Rotundum. Not a single being. I think we need to take it ourselves... now."

Mother thinks for a bit. "Very well, dear. Just let me gather a few things, and we'll be right off. Come, little human, you can help me."

Back in the kitchen, she directs you to gathering various things, while she hurridly gathers some other things. Once all is done, she presses a simple bag with a shoulder strap that shows some sign of patching. "Little Timothee's old satchel. He doesn't use it anymore, and you'll find some useful things in here." She shows you some wrapped leaves. "These contain a special salve that will remove your scent. You don't need it now, the charm I placed on you will hold all day, but I hope you'll find it useful in the days ahead."

She looks into your eyes. Hers are the color of butter-amber. "Will you come with us?" she asks suddenly. "Please, I have a feeling that your destiny has become entertwined with this thing."

Arahira
08-31-2008, 02:54 AM
I do as the mother bear asks and thank her very very much for the satchel and salve. I stand unable to think of what to say when she requests I come with them.

"I think I would like that." I say shyly and smile at mother bear.

At least if I went with them I would have a better place to start at figuring out where I was and then maybe it would be easier for me to get where I was supposed to be going.

nijineko
09-05-2008, 06:36 PM
When you come out from the kitchen, all finished and ready to go, you find that the father has put on some kind of armor, consisting of pieces which attach to his harness, and a kirtle which hangs down. Mother looks pensive at seeing this, but says nothing. Little Timothee wears a miniature version of his father's outfit. Leaving the house, everyone circles around the house, and follows a stone tube that protrudes from the ground. A bit of thought and you realize that it is likely the source of water in the house.

Following the tube, sometimes a simple ridge of earth on the ground, you eventually come to a small river where the tube disappears into a hill. Nearby is a very large tree, it's roots partially exposed on one side by the hurrying action of the river. Nestled into the small hill upon which the tree stands is a door, flanked by windows on either side. Little Timothee is left with a family of badgers which apparently live here. Timothee runs off with the badger young to splash and play in the river. A huge burly badger, maybe two-thirds the size of the father bear converses with the father for a bit. You are unable to understand what they are saying.

Soon you are on your way again, travelling through the forest. They accomodate your travel pace, and the mother even assists you over the rougher parts, letting you cling to her paw. In doing so, you note that other than their dress, speech and ovbious intellect, that they resemble perfectly normal "animals" in every other way. The mother converses softly with you as you travel.

{opportunity for you to ask questions! }

Arahira
09-07-2008, 09:27 PM
As I chat with mother bear I ask many questions and apologize if I appear ignorant. I asks first off where exactly was I? What the name of this forest was? What were their names (if I hadn't learned already). Why was there a truce between humans and the citizens of the forest? if it wasn't out of line I ask; What was so important about the document I found? Who were the people we would be meeting with? Plus such things as; How they preferred to be referred to as? What should I say or do or how should I act?

I thank her every time she assists me over a rather difficult bit of terrain.

nijineko
09-12-2008, 04:29 PM
In response to your various questions:

"We call our homes by the old name," here she says something long and complicated, but which has no meaning for you, "but most folks just call it the Forest of the Woken."

"I am called Theerah and my husband is called Rrohtimo. As is our custom, we combine parts of our names into that of our children, which is why our little cub is named Timothee."

"Oh, it's not really a treaty with humans... no offense dear, but most humans are not civilized enough to have government, let alone make or keep treaties. Ever since the rise and defeat of the Ur-flan, no humans have been anything like civilized. You seem to be a refreshingly different case altogether." She blinks at you and pats your arm gently, perhaps worried that she may have offended you in some way. "The treaty does specify aid in keeping the human wander-kins away from our shared borders, that's all."

"Ah, the Rotundum... I'm sorry, dear, but it's not something that can be shared outside of the royal families." Sensing your dismay, she quickly says, "But don't worry dear, you are simply a very inquisitive cub, just like my Timothee. You do not do wrong in asking things." She smiles reassuringly at you. You note that when they smile, they do not show their teeth.

"As for whom we are going to see, we elect a Council every In-gather season from among the different royal lines. This Council is how we resolve our differences, which unfortunately seem many these days."

"You may call us by our names if you wish, but just calling us Mother Brown and Father Brown is also fine."

"You've been doing splendidly. Very polite, especially for a human. I want you to feel that you can always ask me anything you wish." A pause. "When it comes to the Council, however, if you'll take a fine piece of wisdom that i'm always trying to teach little Timothee, when you are in front of others, especially elders, remember that, 'the beginning of wisdom is in listening, and listening happens best in silence'." A pause. She whispers, "Some of the council are a little bit like, ah, sticks in the mud. Guardians of tradition and all that." Her eyes twinkle at you.

"You're most welcome."

Arahira
09-13-2008, 11:51 AM
If it mattered at all I let her know my name was Victoria and though we didn't follow the tradition of combining names sometimes we did honour an ancestor and use their name as a second name. Anytime she looks as if she may have offended me I give a cute reassuring smile, each culture was different after all.

When we arrive at our destination I heed Theerah's advice and keep silent, unless specifically spoken to, and listen, even if sometimes I want to speak up.

nijineko
09-14-2008, 04:46 PM
The father bear comes to a sudden standstill and sniffs the air. Mother bear looks around attentively and sniffs as well. You are deep in the forest, but before you is a bright area, a bit of a clearing where one of the giant trees has fallen, allowing a patch of sunlight to filter through the leaves and branches. Father bear draws his weapon slowly, a long scraping sound. Mother bear promptly begins some growling chant, waving her paws in careful deliberate gestures.

Arahira
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I draw my dagger and wait to see what was happening.

nijineko
09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
A laugh rings out from the clearing, and a figure leaps up into view from the far side of the fallen tree, standing on all fours upon the high point just below the tangled roots. It is a fox, whose long silky fur shines like a solid coat of spun copper in the shaft of greenish sunlight. A tuft of slightly longer fur flops over one ear, giving the fox a most rakish appearance. It does not appear to be the same fox from before, the coloration is different.

"Gentle folk, I give you greetings." A warm masculine voice, and a beautiful tenor at that, coming from a fox makes you blink. The fox inclines his head slightly. "But, alas and woe, for I cannot allow you to continue on your doubtless important business."

Father bear rumbles deep in his chest, "What cause have you for stopping us, O Prince of Cunning?"

"My, my, my, such manners. Why, I am quite overcome," grins the fox. "But not enough to let you go. From my heart, truly, the deepest of condolences."

"What is it that you want, O Prince?"

"Oh, you know me. I never dabble in the accumulation of many excess stuffs like you sleepyheads. I only collect value. Or, in this case, a single thing of value."

Mother bear calls out, "You alone cannot stop us!"

The fox sits back on his haunches and curls his tail around his forepaws. "True, very true... that is, if I was alone." He jerks his head. Out of the shadows surrounding you arise loud warbling howls and hoots. The bears flinch reflexively. A number of forms step into view in the clearing and there is a rustling of the bushes to either side and behind you.

Monkeys. Monkeys clad in cute little suits of black, green and deep brown-well suited to blending into the deep forest-accented with blackened armor plates at strategic locations. Monkeys whose suits practically bristle with tiny objects of all sorts. Monkeys holding cute little weapons. Little weapons that have something dark smeared upon them. Suddenly, they are not so cute.

Arahira
09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
I can't help but snicker at the monkeys for a brief second but now was not the time for jokes apparently and I quickly turn back to being serious. Not being much of a fighter though I keep close to the bears. Unfortunately I can no longer hold in my laughter and burst out laughing.

"Forgive me." I say, trying not to giggle more but not succeeding.

nijineko
09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
The fox sitting up on the tree seems a bit non-plussed. One of the monkeys in front of you does something with his hands and all the monkeys take a step back, though none lower their weapons, nor relaxes the stance. Mother bear sniffs a few times and softly mutters something under her breath that sounds like "...paralytic on the blades...." The hand-wiggling monkey turns and address the fox.

"Bears three was the job,
Like the oak leaf among pine,
A human intrudes."

A soft hooting is heard from the monkeys around you.

Arahira
09-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I put my hand to my mouth and feign surprise.

"Job? So he's paying you but only paid you to take out three?! Uh oh. He'll have to pay you more now." I smirk."Provided he even intended to pay you in the first place."

nijineko
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
The fox has a slight edge in his voice, "By the Spirits Above! Don't be so literal, I hired you to do the job; it was for three, so just capture these three!"

The monkeys blink solemly. The other three standing in the line with the one that spoke raise their hands and one shades the eyes, the next shades the ears, and the one on the other side of the spokesmonkey shades the mouth.

The fox mutters, "Oh for the love of..." and hangs his head, his tail swishing back and forth violently. He glances up into the branches and after a moment absently gnaws between two toes of his forepaw. Finally he raises his head and speaks....

"The job was for three,
Here they are before you all,
You'll take them right now!"

Arahira
09-30-2008, 09:30 PM
....

nijineko
10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
The spokesmonkey winces slightly, and bows his head briefly.

"The winds of change blow,
Ice shatters, thaws, and flows,
Your words are water."

Arahira
10-14-2008, 10:02 PM
I wonder if the monkeys even knew why they had been hired. I had to some how make them think against the fox.

"So many monkeys
Only three of us is there
What purpose for this?"

I ask in hopes to have the monkeys clue in and think about this situation.

nijineko
10-21-2008, 08:30 PM
The fox stares at you in surprise. The line of monkeys facing the fox turn around and look uncertainly at the three of you. The bears point at you. The monkeys regard you with a faint sense of amazement.

The spokesmonkey takes a single step towards you.

"The robin sweetly,
Sings a song, the jay copies,
Which then shall you prove?"

Arahira
11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I urge Father bear to hold up the rotundum for the monkeys to see. If he does I continue speaking.

"This document here,
Fear the fox does, its return,
to your elders wise."

nijineko
12-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Father bear seems reluctant, but at a poke from Mother bear, he produces the Rotundum, and holds it up high.


There is an unexpected moment of silence, where the world holds her breath, and time pauses to catch his....


The monkeys utter a low keen, stomp twice and clap thrice in perfect unison, ending with their hands and fingers folded into a peculiar shape. When the echoes fade, the spokesmonkey speaks.

"Bird song broken off,
Danger looms, silence allows...
A single request."

Arahira
12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
When the monkeys stomp and clap I wonder if I'd done something wrong all this poetry was making me dizzy. Guessing their current words meant that I get a request I give them one.

"To elders safely,
This tundum and bears must get,
Please guide us safely?"


I'm thanking my mom in my head right now for all the schooling she made me do.

nijineko
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
"Cold buds blossoming,
Bringing anew life from death,
One eternal round,
Old words of snow melt and flow,
New words of budding green grow."


The spokesmonkey turns to the fox, bows, and turns away. At some unseen signal, the monkeys appear from the brushes around and loosely encircle the fox. The line of monkeys approach your little group and the spokesmonkey stops just in front of you, bows, then holds out his hand in a courteous gesture, apparently expecting to take your hand. He comes to about mid-chest on you.

The fox splutters a bit, but seems to be momentarily beyond words.

Arahira
01-19-2009, 10:27 PM
I bow back and take the monkey's hand, shaking it if that's what he was expecting or just taking it if not. If it turns out he's looking for some sort of payment then I see what I can find.

nijineko
01-27-2009, 02:44 AM
He takes your hand, and tucks it under his arm, turning so that he is standing next to you. He makes a figure gesture, and the remaining monkeys from the line form up into an escort around him, you, and the bears. He leads you off to the other side of the clearing. The fox sits up tall and finally finds his voice, "This will not wash away your tracks in the mud. There will be repayment for this. Enmity!" But for all his haughty speech and down-the-nose looks, he does not move, nor do the monkeys ringing him.

As your little cavalcade passes the fox, he looks you in the eye. "I will remember you, human. We shall see how long you can act like an animal, and when you will revert to your true nature, like the rest of your kind."

Arahira
01-27-2009, 07:20 AM
I resist ther urge to stick out my tongue obnoxiously at the fox like I wanted to. I instead turn away and ignore him and let the monkeys escort us off to the elders.

nijineko
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
The spokesmonkey retains his hold on your hand. Ranged around you are the other four monkeys and all about you the rest of the retinue swing through the trees or form a loose ring around the little cavalcade. You noticed scout monkeys ranging ahead and out of sight, only to drop back and report in whispered tones. Straining your ears a bit, you note that all the communications (at least those that you are able to hear) are also in the three line poem format. Apparently these monkeys communicate exclusively in poem.

You pass through large swatches of forest, many meadows, hills, vales, and the occasional stream. At one point everyone is stopped by a small waterfall for a meal. The monkeys, however, eat nothing, taking only a small amount of water, into which each monkey sprinkles a small amount of some ochre-colored powder. You are grateful for the rest, as you have been travelling for some hours.

{{{if there is anything you want to bring up or ask, feel free. it is not necessary, i just like giving opportunity to input actions when i'm carrying on with long chunks of background text. ^^ if not, then i'll just continue on to the next chunk of text.}}}

Arahira
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I travel at their speed without complaint. When we stop to rest I eat if offered something but do not ask. If I'm not offered anything then I take a drink from the water fall and sit and rest. When everyone decides to move on I do as well without complaint.

((All's good you can continue on. I don't mind if you carry on as long as there isn't any points where its obvious my character would step in and say or do something.))

nijineko
02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
You notice that the forest is growing deeper, the trees leaping into the sky, each of a great girth. The light has been growing steadily greener, and dimmer as you have proceeded. Finally you reach something most unusual. A low wall stretching out to either side as far as you can see. (which isn't very far, in the dim primeval forest depths.) The wall is old, and has a few blocks tumbled down in many places, though the wall is largely intact. A few of the giant trees straddle or even partially break through the wall in places. Oddly, there is no other growth upon the stones, not even the ones that have fallen in the moss and lichen strewn tangles.

The bears and the surrounding monkeys, all except the four who are arrayed behind you, and the spokesmonkey who still holds your hand in his leathery one, move forward and line up before the wall. The monkeys bow their heads, but are silent. The bears voices blend in a rough harmony as they chant something you don't follow.

You start to move forward, only to be brought up short by the hand of the spokesmonkey holding you still. His hand has the strength of a gnarled tree root.

The bears finish, and turn and come over to you. Before they can speak, the spokesmonkey does:

"Human shall not go,
Ancient evil long ago,
Flee from winter's snow.
To the elders we have brought,
Now to pay for what we wrought."

Arahira
02-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I look at the monkeys and then the bears then back to the monkeys. Their words were so vague I wasn't sure if they were waiting to pay or if they wished payment from me. I hope they accept gold. I'm also unsure if the monkeys are even talking to me and how much trouble I've suddenly found myself in.

" I admit to having limited expertise in their style of speech." I finally speak to the bears quietly." Are they asking for payment or should I be remaining silent?"

nijineko
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
The father bear hmmms deeply. The mother bear looks somewhat worried, and says, "We are not honestly sure ourselves what they mean, most of the time. Ever since.... I'm sorry, dear. You are very nice for a human, but there are just some things that we can't...." She wrings her paws in discomfort.

Father bear places a heavy paw delicately on her shoulder. "We must go on. The Rotundum must be returned to the Elders." He looks at you. "You have been uncommonly good, for a human. We don't understand everything that is going on, but we must do our part, and thank you for yours." He inclinces his head to you briefly, paw touching the sword he wears in a sort of salute.

The mother bear steps forward and enfolds you in a warm herbal-smelling hug. She whispers to you, "There are two paths in this world of ours, all others are illusion. You seem to be one of those rarest of things, a human who follows not the path the rest of your kind do. May the forest-blessing be with you so long as you continue to so walk." She licks your forehead, with a rough rasping tongue and immediately after smears something onto the licked spot with a paw pad. You feel the prick of a claw-tip at your hairline, and then you smell the strong pungent scent of the stuff. It reminds you of spring-time smells.

They pause to give you a chance to reply, and when you are done, they turn and ponderously hurtle a low part of the wall. Mother bear makes it over without incident, but when father bear goes over, something on his harness touches the stones as he passes over them. There is a sudden SNAP! sound and a flash of light, and the harness has a rather large scorch mark. He grunts, but otherwise seems not affected. The bears quickly disappear into the shadows beyond the wall.

A sharp smell reaches your nose, sort of like the after-rain smell, but so strong and sharp as to be unpleasant.


The monkeys remain still and silent until the bears have been out of sight for some time. Then the spokesmonkey turns to you.

"come, now it is time,
this riddle, an end to rhyme,
irony sublime."

He tugs you forward, and leads you up to the wall with the rest of the monkeys. They spread out to make room for the five of you. Looking to your left and right, you see that the monkeys are lined up in front of the wall sections still standing, as are you.

Arahira
02-23-2009, 10:00 PM
"I understand and thank you greatly for your kindness and patience." I say to the bears and smile and curtsy.

I suddenly feel lost and alone again. Not to mention unsure of what it is I'm supposed to be doing at the moment so, for now, unless instructed otherwise I stand silently beside the monkeys and wait.

nijineko
02-25-2009, 01:49 AM
"Wait to see if comes,
From the bear touch danger foul,
Sentry three still move."

A period of time passes. You are not sure how long it has been, but it feels like it is crawling by agonizingly slowly. The shadowy dim greenness does not help, nor does the unnatural silence. You realize that you have not even seen or heard bugs or birds or anything else moving, except for yourselves, since you approached this wall.

There is a sudden clap that sounds loudly in the stillness. The spokesmonkey humms, and all the monkeys suddenly begin to sing, or recite something you don't understand in a solemn slow cadence with long pauses in between, measured by the simultaneous thump of all the monkey's feet as they march slowly in place. Suddenly you hear a soft whisper from the spokesmonkey in between the sung recitals.

"What was joined as one..."

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Must be sundered and undone..."

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Be made two from one..."

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"By a five-fingered hand won..."

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Evil slain, or else by none..."

There is some more, which the spokesmonkey does not translate for you. Again, there is silence. After a bit, the spokesmonkey turns and looks at you.

"Questions you must have,
Yet some time before the task,
Think carefully and ask,

Your willing help we must have,
Thus you pay, as we, the past."

Arahira
02-26-2009, 05:15 PM
"This child I fear,
Far to many answers sought,
If help is needed
I willingly give to you
Maybe answers later asked?"

I sigh unsure what else to say or if I could even speak normally. All this poetry was unclear and confusing. I was tired, wanted a bath, wanted a new dress and wanted something to eat. I had many many questions I wanted to ask but had no idea where to start or even what would be appropriate to ask. I had no idea the history of these people and no idea if I was even going to live through this. This might just be the last time I help strangers, if I get through this in one piece then I might change my mind.

nijineko
03-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Time crawls by, silently, slowly, broken only by the sound of your breath and movement.

Suddenly, the spokesmonkey speaks softly,


"We must tip the wall,
To summon evil to fall,
You move last of all."

"After us, cling fast, pull hard,
To change dark past, and fate's card."


He then turns and exchanges with the other monkeys some rhymed cadences which you do not understand the meaning of, but can clearly follow the rhythm and distinguish the similar sounds ending each group of utterances. This seems to be passed down the line each way, until all have heard it. The monkeys gather into a group, and the spokesmonkey pulls out a collection of thin twigs. These are plucked from his hand, one-by-one by each monkey in turn, until there is only one left in his hand.

Each monkey glances at the twig, and then reforms a line. You notice some comparison of twigs and shuffling of places. It seems that some sort of randomly selected order has been established. Finally there are only two gaps left in the line of monkeys before the wall. One directly in the center, and one somewhat down on the right.

You notice that the center gap is in front of a slightly more intact portion of the wall than most of the rest. The stacked stones come to just below your shoulders. The spokesmonkey steps over to you and pats your arm reassuringly. He then goes over and speaks quietly to several of the monkeys on either side of the gap in the center. Finally he leads you to the center gap and nudges you into line with the rest.


"When broken is wall,
Evil comes, but it must fall,
Beware sing-song call."

"Three evils, demons will crawl,
Destroy ere they kill us all."

"Magic, weapon, heart,
Whatsoever thou doth have,
Give all, keep not part."

"Of thy self, make sword, shield,
Prepare now, that thou shan't yield."


So saying, he takes the final place in line. All the monkeys begin a slow dance in place, making various gestures with hands and tails... some kind of martial movements. As they do so, a faint glow begins to collect around them, visible in the dimness.

Arahira
03-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I look at the spokes monkey with concern but then look back at the wall and preapre for whatever is coming through. I had no idea what I was going to face or how well I'd be able to fight it, I was just a kid after all.

I look around to see what I could do. There were 30 monkeys, no way I could cast that many spells. Looks like they could take care of themselves anyway.

I cast Armour enhancement, greater, Bull strength and Cat's Grace on myself, stuff my ears with something (the monkey's having mentioned something about singing) then turn back to the wall and do as the monkeys asked. When it's my turn to pull down the wall I do.

nijineko
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Your dress and belt and gloves make fine targets for your infusions, you can feel the protections and enhancements settle into place around you as you temporarily enchant your various articles of clothing.

Around you, you can just make out a dim golden glow taking shape around the monkeys as they finish their preparations. Some sort of protection, you feel. Then at some unseen signal, the monkeys at the farthest ends of the line reach out and grasp the wall, followed in rapid succession by each monkey in turn, ending with you.

There is a sudden crackling sound, and a sharp unpleasant odor. Lightning fountains at the ends of the lines partially sliding off the golden aura around the monkeys. It races from the ends towards you, but seems to be weakening as it comes... Each monkey in turn absorbs some of the discharge, muscles locked, pulling as hard as they can.

The lightning and the smell of scorched fur reaches you about the same time that the wall starts to move. Its bends slowly, leaning outward, and sparks race between the stones. You feel the enchantments you laid shunting some of the lightning aside, and a sudden warmth on your forehead seems to be pushing aside some more. The rest burns up your arms and down your legs.

A harsh crackling sound comes from the wall. The lightning ebbs and pulses flickering uncertainly between targets, surging unexpectedly. One monkey falls to a sudden blast. Then three more are thrown clear, falling limply to the ground, unconscious or dead. Some of the stones of the wall crumble and shatter. Several more monkeys sink to the ground. You see something that is not stone, a slender post of some strange material embedded in between the stones.

You and the monkeys on either side of you heave your combined weight against your portion of the wall. There is a sudden piercing shriek of lightning, and you see a join in the post suddenly part. You have a momentary glimpse of oddly colored lights shining and reflecting off of threads-of-metal inside the post. The threads snap and part and everything disappears in a flash which throws you back through the air. You feel the impact of yourself striking and rolling, but it is a distant thing to your over-stressed senses.

You come to a stop laying on your back. There are bright spots in your vision, slowly fading. You don't hear anything.

Electrical damage from the initial reaction of the wall, lessened by the intervening monkeys, and the forest blessing.
Electrical damage from the secondary reaction of the wall to the damage it is taking, again lessened, but with fewer monkeys to help.
Impact from being thrown by the explosion.

Arahira
04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
25/42

I pull whatever I'd stuffed in my ears out and listen. I also look around the best I can through the fading spots in my sight. Whatever I see, or can't see, I stand and prepare to fight since that was what I had been asked to do. I only hope I can succeed.

Listen

nijineko
04-27-2009, 04:27 PM
At first, there is only the sounds of the forest, and the occasional groan from a monkey. Those monkeys who seem to be recovering, move to tend the monkeys who are still prone. Where the wall was, is now only a scorched and blackened line in the earth. The stones have been thrown clear, contributing to the injuries.

As you look around, listening, you see that the further sections of the wall, where no one was standing, seem somewhat intact, though they also bear scorch marks. Suddenly you hear the sound of something approaching from the other side of the wall. It has a peculiar sound, kind of a *hum-scrape-THUMP!* sound.

Arahira
06-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I move closer so I can see whatever it is that's making the sound.

nijineko
06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
You move closer, crouching behind a tree near to the wall. The few recovered monkeys sink to the ground swiftly at the sound, grasping at moss and stuffing it into their ears. For a few seconds you worry that something happened to them, but then you see one of the monkeys looking at you. He moves his eyes to the side, towards the sound a few times. Then he winks, and closes his eyes.

Before you have a chance to reply, you see something moving in the shadows across the wall. A large something. It moves jerkily, and it pauses every so often. The pause is accompanied by a *hum*. There is a *scrape* sound as a large limb moves, then a *THUMP* as the limb plunges into the ground and pulls the something forward.

A few repetitions of this brings it close enough to see. The torso consists of a tall metallic barrel of some sort, balanced upright between two bulky and oddly moving feet, that seem to sprout directly from the left and right sides of the bottom of the barrel. Streaks of discoloration darken the metallic surface. Atop the barrel is a roundish head, badly deformed, with a cluster of malevolently glowing eyes more on the right than the left. Multiple tendrils or hair sprout stiffly from its cranium in a random pattern.

But most disturbing of all is an open cavity in the chest in which is partially embedded a humanoid figure. Rods are attached to the arms, and a half-sphere is attached to the head, all of which have thick tendrils leading back into the depths of the monstrosity. The humanoid is thin and spindly, jerkily scanning the area... a movement of the arm is mimicked by the monstrosity to drag it forward. It looks in your direction and a chill goes down your spine. The humanoid is a skeleton pierced with all manner thin rods, and from deep within the skull a sullen multi-colored glow matches that of the monstrosity's deformed eyes.

Arahira
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Seeing the monkeys were fine I turn my attention back to whatever was making the noise. My first thought when I see the thing is 'Neat I wonder how long it would take me to build one of those' then 'I wonder if they'll let me take it apart and look at it' then I shake my head. Had to focus. Fight now, I could play with toys later.

Some how I had to get to the driver. If I disconnected him the whole thing would stop. The problem was getting up to the driver. I search for possible ways to get to the driver.

Search
Spot
Know.Eng/Arch

(I rolled all three cause I wasn't sure what I would be using. Just use the ones you think I would need. Awesome critter by the way.) (Stupid dice roller thing >.< why don't they just fix it and I should be able to delete my own posts.)

nijineko
06-10-2009, 11:28 PM
You ponder how to get to the driver as you study its movements and construction. You notice that there seem to be shards of something clear still clinging to the front of the cavity, possibly the remains of some sort of clear cover over the cavity. You imagine that you should be able to reach inside, so long as you can avoid the shards. The large arm-like limbs of the construction are hinged and jointed in such a way as to allow the upper and lower portions to fold tightly together, and indeed, you can see a long narrow cavity where they might fit under the shoulder joint of the nearer arm.

The construction adjusts its position slightly, the left arm digging into the ground to pull it around. You note that the arms end in heavy claws, well suited to digging or cutting. The right 'foot' appears to be constructed of jointed metal strips that wraps around a series of rotating pegs... the left appears to be non-functional. The malformed head atop the barrel rotates back and forth, apparently scanning the now-destroyed wall. It is still about 15 to 20-ish feet on the other side of the wall.

You decide that the arms will be a potential danger in any close approach. But it is possible that the restricted movement and non-functional left 'foot' might prove advantageous in any approach.

Arahira
06-11-2009, 03:42 AM
I attempt to get in and up to it unseen if I can. I go for left side.

Hide
Move Silently

( I don't actually know if I have to roll these or what else to roll, let me know what I do need to roll if I'm wrong.)

nijineko
06-13-2009, 11:48 AM
You keep low to the ground and move slowly away from your tree. You seem not to be noticed. Unexpectedly, a twig snaps beneath you. The thing stops its inspection of the wall, and moves a lurch-drag closer and scans the area beyond the wall. The thing must have decent hearing. The monkeys continue playing dead.

Arahira
06-14-2009, 12:31 AM
I stay hidden and stand still until it seems to look for something else to scan then try again.

Hide
Move Silently

nijineko
06-26-2009, 03:19 AM
You managed to move maybe ten feet before making a noise, so you are part way to the wall, which you will need to cross somehow, and away from any trees. You join the monkeys in playing dead. The thing finishes it's inspection of the far side of the wall, and makes various ear grating and painful noises for a brief time, much worse than nails on a chalkboard. The thing appears to focus on one monkey and one of it's off-center oculars begins to glow an ominous red, rapidly gaining in intensity.

Arahira
06-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I have no idea what that light was going to do to that monkey but it couldn't be good.

"Hey!" I yell to get its' attention and stand up."I'm your target freak!"

If that's enough too get its' attention I prepare to dodge any attacks. If not then I quickly pick up a rock and throw it at it then run towards the wall and inside so it follows me.

nijineko
06-29-2009, 11:22 AM
It is slow in responding to your yell, your rock is mid-air when a dark red beam bursts from the ocular. But the reflexive turn of the monstrous head causes the beam to waver across the ground between you and the monkey. You see the monkey jump slightly as the beam barely misses, and you try to dodge the beam as it comes dangerously close to you.

{{{reflex save, please}}}

Arahira
06-30-2009, 02:47 AM
Reflex save

If I succeed I run up to it then cast inflict moderate damage on its' one working leg.

Attack roll
Damage if attack succeeds

(I hope I did that right and let me know if I need to do anything else. Ignore damage roll if attack is unsuccessful.)
(T_T OMG! it even happens with digital dice!!)

nijineko
07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
The wavering beam comes dangerously close as you scramble to get out of it's erratic path. A flash of heat and the smell of burning fabric lets you know that you were not entirely successful in evading it completely. You're not sure what's going to hurt more later, the wound, or repairing your clothing. Your last forward dash carries you towards the creature and you decide to make a try for it. Gathering your inner energies, you prepare an infusion of entropy and decay that should damage it's structure at the very least.

You come close and reach out to touch it... when you trip over a root and fall flat on your face. Your hand comes just short of hitting it and slaps the ground, releasing the infusion into the ground instead of the monstrosity. A billow of dust and earth blows up obscuring you, and probably saving your life, as the thing lets out a metallic screech and ear-clawing shrieking sound, and one heavy limb thuds into the ground scant distance from where you lay.

Arahira
07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Eep! Curse my klutziness. I try to muffle my cough as I get a mouth full of dust then wait a few seconds before reaching out to see how close it was to me. If it's close enough then I attempt to cast yet another inflict moderate damage on whatever nearby leg I can reach. This time I take advantage of the dust cover, hoping it lasts long enough, and concentrate.

Attack Roll
Damage if attack successful

Succeed or not I attempt to get out of its way as quickly as possible.

Reflex

(Let me know if I rolled wrong and do I add the Cat's Grace bonus to my attack roll or not? If I do then add 4 to whatever I got.)

(Gah! I curse D20s! and I lost track of my spells... reduce that damage by one of those D8s.)

nijineko
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM
The dust obscures your target and though you aim towards where the sounds are the loudest, your hand yet again slaps dirt, sending up a fresh billow of dust. You roll away from the sounds, eyes stinging and muffling coughs. You jump slightly as hands grab you, but you recognize the small hands of the monkeys, and let them lead you. Some water splashes into your face unexpectedly, clearing away the grit.

You see the monkeys jumping into, and occasionally being flung out of the dust cloud. There is a sudden screeching sound which escalates until it feels like your head is going to shatter and darkness descends. When it clears you find yourself lying on your back seeing a plume of smoke rise up towards the tree tops and you feel some hot stings as small hard objects pelt down upon everything.

A group of monkeys is nearby... The spokesmonkey limps over to you.

"To enslave the good,
Evil's piercing voice raises,
Smiting living ears,
One has fallen from our might,
Two yet remain still to fight."

Looking around you see that there remains only about two thirds of the monkeys alive.

Arahira
07-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Too tired to understand what the lead monkey is talking about all I can do look around and think of how I failed. I was supposed to destroy that thing before it hurt anyone.

I scream and beat the ground in frustration then look around and listen to see if I can see or hear anything. He had said there were some still left to fight, I assume he means the monkeys that were still alive. Had they not taken it out? Were there more of those monsters still?

nijineko
08-07-2009, 12:14 PM
As you start to look around, the spokesmonkey helps you up. The dust and smoke begins to clear, and you can see the thing laying still in the massive holes that you blasted into the ground. it is charred and twisted, partially melted, and smoke is still trickling from it. Apparently it was unable to get out of the holes that you made, enabling the monkeys to strike it.

Some of the monkeys are gathering the dead and placing them in a row near the holes. The rest of the monkeys are keeping an alert watch around them. The spokesmonkey follows your gaze to the dead and says,

"There is no success,
Without cost, or trial, or price,
We few, save many."

Arahira
08-07-2009, 11:58 PM
"I just wish I could have done better." I say quietly then start collecting the dead and placing them as the other monkeys were unless I was stopped.

Hopefully this was over now.

When the monkeys were done retrieving their dead I walk over to the charred and twisted thing to take a closer look. It was obviously man made and very strange. Why had the humans created it though? For power? Greed? Or was there some deeper story I would never get to know.

Since they were answers I would never get I pushed them aside and take a closer look around the surroundings. Were there more human things about or was this thing trapped in here by means of the creatures that lived here until the day came when someone came to help destroy it? If they could confine it for so long why not just destroy it? Sounded like a sick joke to me. I sigh. So many questions I know I will never receive answers to.

Really what I wanted was a hot bath, a new dress and something to eat. My dirty and tattered dress reminds me... I fish through my many pockets in search of my little bird until I find it. Whatever condition it was in I'm just glad I hadn't lost it.

nijineko
08-27-2009, 12:56 AM
The task is swiftly done, and there is a moment of silence before the monkeys turn away.

The contraption is clearly a construct of some kind, evidence of high skill. Many wires, and machined gears, as well as rods of various thicknesses are visible through the rent in the once metallic covering. Now all is coated in thick oily soot.

Your bird is surprisingly unharmed, if a bit dirtied with soot and dust. You have just about gotten it clean when there is a crashing sound from the dimness. Something unnatural this way comes.

Arahira
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I look up at the sound and almost drop my little bird, shoving it back safely into its pocket. Right now I was really wishing I was more skilled. With not many spells left, and I doubt my dagger would do much if that sound turned out to be the same as the contraption beside me, I start looking around to see what I could use for a weapon. I also shout out to the monkeys if it seems they hadn't already noticed.

Spot

Search

nijineko
09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
You find some rocks, and better yet, a metal rod with twisted and jagged ends, once a part of the machine in the hole before you. There is not much else. The monkeys heard the sound too and try to make themselves scarce, some playing dead, others hiding. A couple of brave or insane ones actually wedge themselves in under the broken construct.

There is a clear increase in the noise as the thing approaches. You even spot some metallic glints as a dark hulking shape brushes past trees in the distance breaking through the rare sunbeam from above.

Arahira
09-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I grab a rock and the metal rod the move toward the hulking shape. I wait until its out in the open to decide what to do.

nijineko
10-06-2009, 05:31 PM
As it draws near you start to get an idea of its shape. A bulbous dome of an head sits upon massive shoulders. From the shoulders thick tentacles of sorts sprout, two on each side. It walks upon these thick tentacles. A diminutive body dangles beneath the shoulders with far too many oddly jointed feet likewise swinging, making scraping and chiming sounds with the construct's movements. It is made of a dull metallic substance, much begrimed with the greens and browns of the forest. A curved rectangle of a translucent substance, much starred and cracked is embedded in its chest.

It stops and seems to be regarding the wreckage and surroundings.

Arahira
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
I raise my eyebrow at the odd contraption before me. What were these people trying to do here? I wonder. Since I failed so well at being stealthy last time I figure what the hell, what's the worst that can happen? I die? Well there's no one in this world that would miss me.

I wonder if that translucent substance is important. I cast magical stone, take aim at the rectangle spot with the translucent substance and hurl one in its direction. If all else I'll have its attention.

Magical Stone

Damage

(Damn frakking damn dice! >.<)

Arahira
10-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Apparently you cannot add rolls to your posts once you have posted.

Second roll

Third roll

(w00h00! on second roll!!)

nijineko
10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Your stone flies true, and smacks the translucent surface. A web of cracks spreads out from the impact and the construct jerks slightly, miss-stepping. The cracks continue to maze the surface until it is no longer translucent, then with a tinkling, shatters. Large and small chunks fall out, revealing a shadowed cavity behind. The construct turns slightly and a slot opens in its head. A thin vertical reddish line is emitted, and it begins turning slowly, apparently searching the area it thinks the stone came from no visible harm to the trees or ground occurs as the line passes over.

Arahira
10-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I silently cheer when I hit my target then run to the side out of the line's search area and prepare to throw another rock at the spot where the red line was coming from. I wonder if I'll have as much luck as the last one.

Attack1
Attack2
Attack3

Damage

(*crosses fingers*)

(*cheers!* W00h00! Of course now that its been noticed the dice are going to be good for now :P)

Arahira
10-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Crit. Confirmation roll?

nijineko
11-21-2009, 02:51 AM
The stone flies true, and there is a bright flash accompanied by a tinkling sound, sparks and some smoke. The construct emits some assorted sounds like one metal object scoring into another. There is a brief pause, then some small openings appear on the dangling body, and odd appendages sprout from the openings. There are two larger ones and two smaller ones. The smaller appear to be some sort of jointed arms, upon which sprout some clusters of tubes and crystals instead of hands. The larger seem stiffer, clumsier versions, but with more tubes and less crystals. They wave around, pointing in many directions.

After some aimless waving, they began pointing to the various monkeys, pausing briefly at each. You note one pointing at you as well for a short time before it moves on. There is another pause, and the construct begins to move slowly towards the monkeys, almost furtively, as though it were trying to be quiet, or sneaky.

Arahira
11-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I wait and watch the thing as it 'scans' myself and the monkeys but when it starts moving toward the monkeys I wave at it to get its' attention.

"Hey! Over here!" I say then throw my last stone at it.

If I hit one of the arms great if I don't, oh well as long as I have its' attention.

#1
#2
#3

nijineko
05-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Your last stone flies true, striking one of the larger arms squarely upon the assortment of tubes and crystals at the end. There is a definite sound of breakage.

(((i'll need a damage roll to know how much.)))

It abruptly stops. It points one of the smaller arms at the damaged larger one, the other two arms in your direction. The smaller arm twitches back and forth, reminding you of the eye of a crab waving around in an attempt to get a look at something. The larger arm tracks to point more or less at you, and begins to emit a menacing glow. You can hear a high pitched sound coming from it, faintly. You also hear faint hoots from the monkeys, they sound worried.

Arahira
05-18-2011, 08:30 PM
I look around for something nearby to hide behind/crawl under, that's preferrably metal and shiney, water might be an option? Something that might reflect the creature's attack?

((I hope the dice rool works. It's been so long I can't remember what to do if it doesn't))

Damage roll for earlier post

Spot check

nijineko
05-18-2011, 11:24 PM
(((nicely done, in both cases. =D )))

Nearby you is the hole which is partly filled by the previously caught construct, and also there are some monkeys hidden there, as you recall. You could probably dive into it from where you are. That is one possibility.

A slightly further scramble away is one of the trees, which while somewhat narrower than you are, it is thick, and is certainly better than nothing.

There is also a briar, but you somewhat doubt the stopping power of a scraggly, thorny bush, as you are not a hare, and it is not a fox. Besides, it would entail moving closer to the construct.

There are also small hollows created by the slightly rolling terrain, but they seem much too shallow to seriously consider.

Arahira
05-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I yell for the monkeys to stay down then run for the tree and hope its good enough cover. I also hope that if it falls from the blast it falls in my favour.

((Let me know if I have to roll anything))

nijineko
06-19-2011, 11:51 PM
The larger arm spits out a foul-colored coruscating beam of some kind of energy. The beam scythes across a short arc; there is an impact that shakes the tree you are sheltering behind. The ground on either side of you vomits earth and rock into the air and a nasty burning smell fills your nostrils. Your dress is seriously ruined, the tattered edges singed where it was projecting out beyond the edges of the tree. Leaves flutter down morosely, twisting plaintively in the acrid smoke clutching upwards.

A short moment later, there is a sudden explosion, half felt, half heard, followed by the sound of tortured metal.

Arahira
06-21-2011, 09:22 AM
(Yay! Surprise post!)

When the beam of energy fires off I cover my head with my arms, crouch and hope I survive. When the beam of light stops its destruction I cautiously look around. When I look down at my dress my first thought is 'my mother would kill me if she saw this' my next thought is 'oh crap the monkeys!' and start frantically looking around, forgetting, momentarily, about the crazed piece of machinery that just tore up the ground.

nijineko
07-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Leaves flutter down about you, the delicate traceries and vibrant greens a striking contrast to the burned and befouled swath of destruction on the other side of your tree. The smell is horrific. There don't seem to be any of the monkeys caught in that last blast. You can see a few of them laying as still as possible. You are not sure if it is the wind or fear which causes the trembling that you see. It seems you have effectively drawn the construct's attention away from the monkeys, at least for now.

The jerky motions of the construct draw your eye, it seems that the other arm attempted to fire a similar beam of energy but malfunctioned. Your mechanical intuition tells you that the small amount of damage you managed to cause resulted in a malfunction when it tried to emit energy. It seems to have resulted in an explosion. The larger outer arm-leg has been damaged, and both of the extra arms on that side are so much twisted and melted junk now. The other set of arms however begin to track you again. The constructs steps closer, limping, but menacingly determined.

The lurching step shatters what was left of the front covering. Revealed is a skeleton with metal attachments clamped to skull and arms. There are some glowing lights visible through the empty eyesockets, and the motions of the construct cause the boney jaw to flap up and down in a silent laugh... an eerie effect. The arrangement clearly implies a pilot to you, but this one has been dead for who knows how long. One metal encased hand reaches forward and does something to the panel in front of it. You again hear the rising hum and see the building glow. It is about to fire again.

Arahira
07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
I see the thing still moving and roll my eyes. " Seriously?" Looking around though I'm glad to see no more monkeys were harmed.

When the construct moves closer and I see the skeleton and its loose jaw I make a disgusted face and tilt my head. "Really? That's just creepy..." I mutter then realize its charging up to fire again." Oh.." I look around frantically.

Deciding my only choice was to run, I try for a little strategy. It seemed to be having difficulty moving so maybe if I run off to the side and it's forced to twist around to fire at me then I can cause it to fall over and disable it. I make a run for it in a big arc away from the arm that's firing up, and away from the monkeys, and past it in hopes that it will attempt to follow me. If there's a hole nearby then I head for it, just in case the thing decides its not quite damaged enough and manages to follow.

I cross my fingers and run for my life and mutter." Please break, please break..." over and over." Or at least fall over."

(let me know if I need to roll for anything)

nijineko
08-01-2011, 12:17 AM
The construct continues its lurching gait towards you attempting to follow your fleeing form, but is having trouble turning its body. The structure at the end of the arms emits a foul-colored beam which rips into the earth behind you, causing gouts of rock and dirt to fly into the burning air. The beam wanders closer and closer and the air feels like it might burn your lungs.

{{{please go ahead and roll a dex check (d20+ your dex mod) since you are running on uneven terrain. }}}

Arahira
08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Dex CheckArahira rolls some dice


(( That was a nice roll! =D))

nijineko
09-20-2011, 11:57 PM
The construct, twisting, takes a large swinging step with the undamaged leg, attempting to pivot around on the damaged leg in order to follow your frantic run. You nimbly hop over some roots and land neatly, avoiding an unexpected hollow. You even manage not to lose your frenzied pace. The beam chases you, lurching up and down in haste. Silence falls heavily. The heated air rips the breath from your lungs, and a fearful glow creeps around the edges of your vision, blurring your gaze.

Your feet thrust desperately forward over the ground. Fear clenches a bony hand about your throat, slips a dreamy lethargy into your heaving chest, and hangs weights about your ankles. There is a ringing snap, the soft gentle coruscation struggling free from the torpid silence in a triumphant leap. You smell something burning. Your next step thrusts you into a stinging cold which gnaws and nips at your skin. The back of your neck prickles heatedly in protest.

From behind, an awesome cacophony of sound shatters the quiet, hurls it away. You run frantically a few more steps. A tree, refusing to move, clips you on the shoulder. You spin around, stumbling to a stop facing the way you came.

The construct is laying on its side, pinning the undamaged leg and dangerous arm beneath it. The damaged leg waves weakly in the air missing a foot and ankle, which you spot off to the side. It seems to have snapped off. There is a heaving movement, and you glimpse bony arms and metal clad hands manipulating various controls, but despite several strained attempts it remains on its side.

There is gentle hooting from some of the monkeys. The burning smell does not abate, nor does the heated stinging on your neck. Running your hand through your hair, you realize that the back part of your hair is somewhat lacking, and the skin of your neck is hot and painful to the touch, though intact.

Arahira
09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
When I start feeling the heat and then see it out of the corner of my eye I cringe and keep thinking over and over 'I'm gonna die I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die, away from home, in a strange land full of strange creatures.' but I still run as hard as I can. When I strike the tree and go stumbling I think 'this is it, what a crappy way to die' then I realize its quiet and I'm not dead. I freeze for a moment as I watch the thing inside the construct try to continue and kind of feel sorry for whoever it had once been as it struggles. The sound of the monkeys brings me back from my thoughts and also the awareness that the burning smell is not dissipating.

"Oh no! My hair! Not my hair!" I quietly whine to myself and cringe when I touch the skin on the back of my neck. I also stop to check my dress. It was made of a far more durable material then usual, yes, but it had also been through a lot already and that light beam was nasty.

If I'm not awkwardly exposing my back to the world, or burning, I make my way over to the construct. If I am I put out the last of the flames if need be and just clutch the back of the dress shut the best I can and still head toward the machine. If it's no longer a threat then I attempt to get to where the creature inside the machine is and, since I have no spells left, I just remove its' head or pull cables until the poor thing finally stops moving.

nijineko
09-25-2011, 05:21 PM
The back part of your hair is definitely singed off, though the top back part is still somewhat intact. Your dress has gained a few more scorched and melted parts. There are some small fires which need attending. After that is taken care of you turn your attention to the construct. The surviving monkeys gather around you as you approach.

The construct is still twitching and thrashing about somewhat, though still on it's side. As you reach in and start to rip out cables and anything else that seems breakable, there is some crackling sound and sparks begin to fly out of the various controls. The monkeys do their wordless chanting and perform precision strikes upon the joints and damaged spots of the construct. Between all of your efforts, the construct finally stops moving about.

There is a long silence, broken only by the wind. Suddenly there is an eruption of fire from the downed construct, and several segments of it break away. Something shoots out of top, traveling rapidly across the ground. It begins to arc upward, and strikes a tree squarely. The trailing flames engulf a couple of monkeys, which does not end well. Falling to the ground, the fire sputters out, revealing the metal adorned skeleton upon some kind of throne. The skeleton is crushed from the impact with the tree, and lies askew of the throne, itself toppled over onto one side. A few last flickering flames are visible in the base of the throne. The smell of burned fur joins that of burned hair.

Silence falls again.

Arahira
10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I cringe at my hair, that's gonna take a lot to fix. At least my dress is still decent, though I will definitely have to buy a new one soon if this keeps up. I quickly roll on the ground to finish off the little fires before heading over to the construct.

I'm just letting out a sigh of relief as the construct finally stops moving when it suddenly bursts into flames. I leap out of the way and go to yell at the monkeys to do the same but for the ones near the tree it's already too late. I don't even have time to try to save them before its all over. I look around sadly then sigh once again. At least it appeared to be over now.

I leave the monkeys to deal with their dead comrades and flop to ground, lay back and just stare up at the sky, if I could see it through the trees. If some of the monkeys come over to check me out I tell them I'm fine and apologize that I couldn't save their friends.

nijineko
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
The sky consists of the green-black canopy of knotted branches, vines, and leaves. Despite this, it is restful to the eyes. Your nose and ears are having trouble agreeing with your eyes, however. There are some close stirrings, and the spokesmonkey edges into your view. He seems disposed to waiting. When you eventually look around, you see that the surviving monkeys have all gathered into two lines leading into the dark. There is a few feet in between the two lines. They are facing you, and waiting patiently.

Arahira
01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
I lay there fascinated by the twisting vines and knotted branches until the Spokesmonkey appears in in my view. I sigh and stand up then look at the monkeys oddly as I notice the pathway they've made for me. I shrug and walk down the isle and into the darkness.

nijineko
01-16-2012, 10:30 PM
The dappled green sunlight streams off your shoulders and puddles at your feet as you pass between the lines of monkeys. The cool darkness opens its mouth and swallows you whole. The monkeys fall into procession behind you, one line just to your left, the other just to your right... and follow you into the darkness. At first it is hard to see as the canopy seems to determined to choke out any possible stream of light. Other than the trees, there seems to be a distinct lack of any other vegetation, nor does there seem to be any animals, or even insects. There seem to be more and more rocks in the ground as well.

Your eyes strain and search, and abruptly pick out an odd yellowish glow beyond some trees. It is not torch light, nor is it sunlight. It does not flicker or change.

Arahira
01-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Usually the lack of sounds of life is a bad thing but I try not to think about it. After risking my life for these creatures why would they try to kill me? Then again it could be said that they had tried already by setting me against that thing. Still even if they did try where would I run to? There were monkeys all around me and I had no spells or gadgets left and I was exhausted. On the other hand if I kept walking maybe I'd get something to eat. Food's always a good bonus and right now I was pretty damned hungry.

The light I saw up ahead was somewhat unsettling but I kept moving forward until someone said to stop or something else happened.

nijineko
01-19-2012, 01:42 AM
You stumble a bit over the uneven rocks and roots, round a tree, and come to a halt. You are standing in a small clearing of the trees, though no real light penetrates the leaf choked sky. Some fifty feet or so ahead of you is what appears to be small bank, or sudden upthrust of ground, perhaps a few feet in height, but very wide and leading further into the depths of the wood. The edges around the sides are broken and tip this way and that, especially the edge nearest you; though the top of the upthrust is oddly level and flat. Four, maybe five horses could ride abreast on the top of it. In front of the nearest edge is a skree of broken rock which slopes down and out until it meets the gap between the trees in which you are standing.

A few feet back from the edge, and off to the left side, a tall pole or slender pillar rises at a canted angle to a height well above your head. It is covered in some kind of greenish mold, or fungus. At the top, the mold balloons out into an irregular spherical shape. The eerie glow comes mostly from this, though some also from the lower parts.

You realize that the 'rocks' you have been stumbling over for the last while are the same dark substance from the top of the crumbling upthrust. You detect a faint waif of something bitter and astringent.

Arahira
02-10-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm starting to question all of this as I squat down to check out a piece of this dark substance. I stand back up and look up at the eerie glowing fungus and then back up at the 'hill' wondering if I'm supposed to wait here or climb up. I try not wrinkle my nose at the smell in case they find it rude.

nijineko
02-27-2012, 12:38 AM
From your brief examination of the some of the dark 'rocks' it is clear to you that it is not a natural substance. You are not certain what magical or alchemical process was used in its formation, but you lean towards the latter, especially given the faint smell.

nijineko
06-24-2012, 04:20 PM
There are soft hoots from some of the monkeys, swiftly squelched by a gesture from the spokesmonkey. They seem curiously hesitant to touch the black rocks, and hop from spot to spot. After a few moments pass while the monkeys stare at you, the spokesmonkey points to the black strip, and then gestures towards where it disappears among the trees, and tentatively steps onto the base of the tumbled scree.

Arahira
08-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Since the monkeys seem to be avoiding the black rocks I'm not quite sure if I should have been touching them but it was too late for that. I follow the black substance toward the trees where it disappears, assuming the monkeys were trying to give me directions.

It was like being in a different country where you had no idea the culture and no idea the language and no idea how to communicate. What made it worse was that the country I was in hated what I was and almost anything I did could turn out to be a wrong move.Being as tired as I was wasn't really helping matters either.....

nijineko
08-29-2012, 12:53 AM
{{{question: are you walking on top of the black substance, or are you attempting to travel another way?}}}

Arahira
01-27-2013, 01:43 PM
[[Is unsure of it so attempting to avoid it.]]

nijineko
01-27-2013, 05:13 PM
There are many crumbled areas along the side of the ribbon of dark material. You can see where the occasional root has penetrated the side and is hastening the destruction of the substance. Nothing else seems willing to grow nearby, there is no grass, no bushes, not even any vines. Even the fungus you saw on the slender pillar earlier does not grow on the stuff. The ribbed and tangled roots make it difficult to walk too close to the trees, and you feel uncomfortable walking on the ribbon itself, so you end up wandering back and forth in the crumbling area in-between.

You notice other slender pillars along the side of the dark ribbon, one here, another there, with a large amount of distance between them, but all of them are dark. The monkeys trail you in two rough columns, silent save for the scruff and clatter of rubble shifted by footsteps. Time seems to have forgotten you. The ribbon pierces the forest in an unnaturally rigid and unbending line, with no regard for trees or shape of the land. It is almost as if some unimaginably large sword had cleaved deep into the earth, leaving this befouled scab of blackened and deformed substance.

After yet another detour around a giant tree determined to take it's piece of the forest back, you think you hear something. After a pause, and nothing but silence broken only by a shifting foot or tail, you continue on your way.

[[[ please make a listen check. ]]]

Arahira
01-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Listen checkArahira rolls some dice

nijineko
07-22-2013, 06:00 PM
There is a sudden rush of hot, dry, acrid wind that billows off the road, and a very tall shadowy object emerges from behind some obscuring trunks. It is accompanied by a teeth-jarring discordant multi-part hum and a rush of grit and dust thrown stingingly against you. The object is floating in the air, looming even larger than the last construct. There is a deafening BLAT of a basso sound whereupon the far upper portion of the object articulates and appears to bend slightly and regard you and the monkeys. Another even deeper sound is emitted and the area around you is bathed in multiple erie and harsh rippling blue-white cones of light which swing back and forth. The light obscures the details of the object as effectively as the shadows had a moment before.

Most of the monkeys react with near panic, attempting to hide themselves in the shadows of the trees. The rest look to you for your reaction.

Arahira
07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
I hold my arms up and turn slightly away as I'm sprayed with the stinging grit and dust. My first thoughts are 'What now?' as the construct before me takes shape. If the lights cause me no harm then I take a quick look around at the monkeys before looking back up at the construct and waiting, patiently but ready for whatever was to come next. I'm hoping nothing does as there isn't much left in me from the last fight.

nijineko
07-23-2013, 03:49 PM
The lights are blindingly bright, but seem to have no effect other than illumination. After a pause that feels quite long, there is a creaking sound from the construct, then an explosive puff or air. With a popping sound, a large net appears nearly in front of your face, spreading out to snag you and a large number of your group. The net constricts automatically, bundling you firmly against a mass of hooting and screeching fur and the strands of a tough and unyielding substance.

The lights continue to pan back and forth jerkily. After a pause, there is the sound of several of those beam of light weapons discharging and the cries of some of the monkeys. Then another BLAT of basso sound so intense that you are stunned for a short time. When you come to, it is to the feel of a sickening sensation of being dragged and bounced behind the floating construct. The construct lurches into the air lifting the bundle off the ground, is thrown off balance by the swinging net, staggers and loses elevation, dropping the net back onto the ribbon to drag along for a short distance before repeating. This broken form of progress is accompanied by relatively soft basso blats... sounding almost like complaining or cursing. You are pretty sure that some of the noises the monkeys are making are roughly the same sort of emoting.

The ribbon pierces straight through the terrain, ignoring trees, hills, and gullies. During your brief airborne moments, you are able to catch glimpses ahead and behind. Behind, the dim solitude of the forest, unending rows of tree trunks, and the foul smelling black ribbon. Ahead, a brilliant shaft of sunlight pierces the gloom. As you approach you can make out a depression, a large circular valley open on one side where the crumbling ribbon vaults a deep gorge with a faint glint of water below. The trees climb the outsides of the valley walls and spread their branches wide over the valley, but not quite roofing it over. In this thin area in the center a shaft of sunlight falls down upon the crumbling and blasted remains of buildings, surrounded by dead and scorched ground. In fact, the entire inside of the valley is barren of all life save the roots of the trees venturing down from the rims of the valley walls. In fact, it suddenly reminds you of nothing so much as a blister or wound in the ground itself with the trees attempting to cover it like a scab.

Crossing the bridge is harrowing, the impact of being bounced as you cross dislodges numerous small sections of the ribbon which crumble and fall down the deep, dark, narrow gorge. Some of the trees even straddle the gorge forming natural bridges and preserving the canopy. The buildings huddle in the shade of a structure of metal webbing holding up a roof of a darkly gleaming and cracked material, as if hiding from the sunlight. They seem to made of some kind of crumbling stone with metal bones sticking out from broken sections. The windows gape open and empty, but have glistening falls of something like water caught in mid splash and solidified running down the walls beneath each opening.

Behind the stone buildings there is a massive bulk of shadow, but you are unable to get much of a glimpse before you are hauled off to the left. In front of the buildings there is an area surrounded by those odd slender pillars that formed a fence near your first construct encounter. This area appears to be a natural setting in miniature, though no animals can be seen. One of the buildings adjoins this enclosed area and it is to this building that you are dragged. At a sound from the construct, a segmented rust door slowly and painfully squeals its way up revealing darkness inside broken only by small blinking lights. The net is dropped with trailing rope inside the darkened opening and the floating construct lurches away, leaning slightly off center, bringing relief from the discordant whine. A still silence descends, broken only by the pained groans.

Arahira
07-27-2013, 01:19 PM
I groan along with the monkeys once the machine stops and just lay there for a moment wishing I had turned and run instead, though then I'd probably be dead instead of just bruised and scratched. I slowly sit up and check on the monkeys that got scooped up along with me and make sure they're okay before attempting to check out my surroundings.

nijineko
07-29-2013, 04:34 PM
You have a fine close up view of lots of fur, some clothing, a few elbows, knees, and toes, and some of the metallic netting as a bonus. You are prodded and poked as the monkeys attempt to likewise reorient themselves. Your attention is drawn by the cable trailing into the dark opening as it twitches. Concentrating, you can hear metallic noises coming from within as the cable twitches several more times. The metallic noises get louder and more prolonged with each twitch of the cable. The cable suddenly goes taunt, and the net begins slowly sliding into the opening, knocking most everyone over again. The darkness swallows you.