PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con Report: Monsterpocalypse

Grimwell
08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
One of the few games I had time to sample during Gen Con was Monsterpocalypse (http://www.monsterpocalypsegame.com/)by Privateer Press.

One Line Summary:
Giant monsters, space aliens, and more battle in a cityscape

Quick and Dirty Image:
http://www.monsterpocalypsegame.com/images/gallery/toyfair/tf4.jpg

Post-Demo Assessment:
This is a delightfully simple and yet potentially sophisticated miniatures game that can be fun to play with your kids, or on a "beer and pretzels" gaming night where you don't have time for hours and hours of gaming.

The theme is pretty obvious and gives a nod to Godzilla style movies where a city like Tokyo is the backdrop to a fight of enormous scale. Destroying buildings is not only encouraged, but a good way to get rid of pesky enemies.

The game mechanic is a simple set of three dice pools. Different actions cause dice to shift from the inactive to active side of the table, and different abilities call on you to roll the dice. It's simple which is why it's kid friendly. The strategic layer comes in from power sources on the boards, controlling (or destroying) buildings, and raw combat between your smaller units or your big ones. There is even a bit of "evolution" via Pokemon where you can take your strongest figure and transform it into something even meaner.

Because the game is lightly tongue in cheek with it's reference to the big monster movies I've seen before, and because the mini's are well done and fun to have, I'm going to pick this up soon. I look forward to putting it into the pile of games I can play with my kids and my adult gaming friends.

Anyone else seen it?

Maelstrom
08-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Looks pretty cool! Thanks for the report

Webhead
08-20-2008, 09:34 AM
That game looks really neat. If you like that, I would also suggest taking a look for a very similar game (which I think has been out of print for a while, sadly) called Super Giant Monster Showdown. I had a chance to play it with our game group several years ago when the DM brought it for a night's diversion. It was a blast. And you can mix and match powers to create your own unique monster.

Godzilla fans, unite! :D

MortonStromgal
08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
It looks like Rampage or King of the Monsters on a table? I am strangely interested...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I gotta say, this looks pretty cool. If offered a chair, i would happily have tried out the game. Heck, i'm was a huge Godzilla fan when i was younger and this concept really draws me. I dare say that i may even pick up the game when released this fall.

Thoth-Amon

Slipstream
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
This is the game I play nearly every Sunday afternoon in Bellevue. quite a fun game! Terrible money sink, as one would expect of a closed box game, but that's why you order the big monster units online, if you're an economical player like me :) I've been playing and collecting Martian Menace, as well as GUARD. It should be noted, that Privateer just got rights for Voltron to enter the game. Form Blazing Sword!

Mindbomb
05-18-2009, 09:35 PM
This game has been HUGE ever since it's release at the local gaming store here. I may pick it up just to get my young son into gaming even though I can't really afford another hobby right now lol...