PDA

View Full Version : Austin, TX - Shadowrun 4E - Looking for players / GM

fast-jack
08-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm looking to start up a Shadowrun 4E game in the Austin area, and I'm seeking 4-6 players to join. While I'm planning to run the game myself, if there are any veteran GM's out there looking run a game, I'd be happy to play instead.

Currently, I'm planning to run a long-term game that would take players from green intiates to prime-runner status, set against the backdrop of the Seatlle Metroplex. The game would have a good focus on role-playing, and less emphasis on rolling dice and blowing stuff up.

Shadowrun is a fairly complicated game, so all prospective players should know the 4E rules. I plan to run the game once a week - most likely on Fridays or Saturdays, but other days are possible.

Insectnate
08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Have run and played Shadowrun 3ed. I am kind of an action role player so just wondering how roleplay intensive your game will be?

fast-jack
08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
4E Shadowrun is fairly similar to previous editions, with magic, cybernetics, and advanced weapons and vehicles, there is at least one major change, the Matrix 2.0. Instead of deckers using desktop computers, the Matrix is now completely wireless - available at the touch of your PDA. There are also some modest changes to game mechanics and character creation.

While Shadowrun is inherently packed with action and danger, this particular campaign will require at least some level of roleplaying. While I don't expect players to get deeply involved with their characters, roleplaying will be necessary to the game. Ask yourself this...

Are you able to fast-talk yourself away from a group of juiced-up go-gangers, or do you simply roll your Etiquette dice?

Are you able to haggle your way through a business deal with a Johnson, or do you just roll your Negotiations dice?

Do you know how to logically plan out the infiltration of a corporate facility, or do you just pack as much C4 as you can into a truck and roll your Demolitions dice?

Do you know why Shadowrunners stick to the shadows, or do you like to shoot Lone Stars in broad daylight?

Can you resolve a situation without rolling dice?

This campaign will have plenty of high-speed chases, drug-crazed gangers, and cybered corporate paramilitaries - all the action you could want. But this campaign will require you to roleplay. In particular, I like to focus on character background, and character motivation. Who was your character before he became a 'runner? Why did he become a 'runner? And why does he continue to go day-to-day risking his life in deadly chases and shootouts? Money? Greed? Revenge? Desperation? Boredom?

It's entirely up to you how much you roleplay in the game? If you're the kind of guy who just likes to roll dice, kill monsters, and loot treasure, you're still welcome.

Insectnate
08-20-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm interested let me know if you get enough players for a game. I have procured a copy of the 4th ed rules and will give them a read as time permits.

I have in past had the most fun playing the company man and soldier archtypes.

fast-jack
08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I've found another prospective player around the Ft. Hood area who would be willing to make the comute. I've found another player who could only play once every other week.

What's your schedule like? How often were you interested in playing?

Insectnate
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Still trying to get a handle on the new rules. I am starting school again (graduate student/teaching assistant) and I have a new son so my time is fairly limited.... I would be down for a somewhat infrequent game. I won't be able to play for a little while though as we settle into our new routine. I am trying to get through the rules as time permits. They seem really cool! I like the dice rules especially.

fast-jack
10-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Insectnate,

I've found enough interested players to start up a Shadowrun campaign. However, since people probably don't check these forums on a regular basis, I'm hesitant to post a game time and location.

Instead, I like you to send me an email, at fast-jack@hotmail.com. Once I have everyone's email, I can send out a group email to everyone, so we can coordinate game times and locations.

So far, everyone seems down for a regular weekly game on Friday or Saturday. One player has offered a potential game location.

Admiral Reject
11-14-2008, 02:17 PM
I'd be interested in trying the game as a player. As a disclaimer, I've never actually played Shadowrun, but I'm a quick learner and it seems quite interesting. As I get more experience, I can transition into a GM as necessary (I've got a lotta experience).

I can host near UT (adjacent to Crown & Anchor) if need be.

fast-jack
11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Okay, sorry folks, but I'm not going to be able to run the game any more. Work has just kept me way too busy over the last several weeks, and it doesn't look like its going to let up any time soon. That's the price you pay for changing jobs.

That said, we clearly have a group of people here interested in playing. I encourage all of you guys to try and form a group together. I'd be happy to join you guys, but I just don't have the time to try and run a game myself.

Sorry for the trouble.

If you are looking for more interested players, I also placed a posting on the Dumpshock player forum.

Sythron
01-08-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm totally interested if you ever get started up again. I'm in Killeen/Ft.Hood area but would not mind the drive on the weekends. Please get back to me if you get another game going, here or my hotmail lord_s_@hotmail.com

Thanks