PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms Favorites

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-17-2008, 03:34 PM
When playing in the FR what are your favorite parts?

Spells?
Regions?
Monster?
Races?
Etc.

Zeneak
08-17-2008, 04:19 PM
My favorite spell is actually a type, i enjoy the rune crafting and create magic tattoo. so far my regions are well.. the Sea of fallen stars have Cormyr, the dragon's coast and the great dale. areas of which i have really enjoyed making more in depth in my campaigns. monsters well if you consider NPCs monsters the Simbal i find rediculous but cool. as for which race i like the most is really the veriaty of the other races that were already there.

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-17-2008, 09:40 PM
My favorite spell is actually a type, i enjoy the rune crafting and create magic tattoo. so far my regions are well.. the Sea of fallen stars have Cormyr, the dragon's coast and the great dale. areas of which i have really enjoyed making more in depth in my campaigns. monsters well if you consider NPCs monsters the Simbal i find rediculous but cool. as for which race i like the most is really the veriaty of the other races that were already there.

i, too, like the variety of the pre-established races. more options. Instead of "I'm an elf" you could say "I'm a wood elf" or "I'm a sun elf".

I favor the Dalelands. Just so much there.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Put me down for regions and races. I feel like i am from there due to my reading of over 10,000 pages of Forgotten Realms novels, as well as playing a few F.R. modules.

Thoth-Amon

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Put me down for regions and races. I feel like i am from there due to my reading of over 10,000 pages of Forgotten Realms novels.

Thoth-Amon

I feel you there. Can't get enough of those FR novels. I don't know what it is. maybe its just the feel the setting has. but its amazing

Dimthar
08-18-2008, 12:27 PM
When playing in the FR what are your favorite parts?

Regions?

Etc.

My two favorites are Cormyr (I know is just std) and Thay oh! and Undermountain.

My favorite FR Gods are Ilmater, Bane and Shar. Lathander is Lame! I guess Tempus is OK.

Love the Volo's Guides...

Hate Elminister

From 3.X liked the fact that the "Prestige Classes" were tied to a "Background" (for most of them you needed to be part of some organization).

Dragon2605
08-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't have a particular favorite part. FR is simply amazing. I find I can get imersed in the world while playing. Oh, I also can't stop reading the books. I guess you could say I'm a borderline fanatic when it comes to FR. It's Drizzt's fault I got hooked :)

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't have a particular favorite part. FR is simply amazing. I find I can get imersed in the world while playing. Oh, I also can't stop reading the books. I guess you could say I'm a borderline fanatic when it comes to FR. It's Drizzt's fault I got hooked :)

Ya i find that sometimes i get lost reading the FR setting book while i am trying to write an adventure. and i'm like. . .

"Whoa! It's what time already?" and look at my note book and i have one thing on there. . . "Adventure ideas"!

tesral
08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
I never got into Forgotten Realms as a setting to play in, but it was fine to read about and I have a good number of supplement for same. I have grabbed part of FR to insert into my own world. The flavor is similar (I use more garlic and less oregano). Waterdeep is my favorite part as it is a near perfect analog for Seahaven in Thindacarulle. I've used the Waterdeep maps and source books to help me populate that city.

Jcosby
08-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Hate Elminister

Heh, my roommate absolutely hates Elminister. He reads every FR novel and loves the world, but hates Elminster with a passion. I never have been able to figure that out. I myself love everything there is about the Forgotten Realms. I have been running all my campaigns in the Realms since the day they printed the Forgottem Realms boxed set 1st Edition.

To me there is no better world, I have done just about everything from destroying half the world for one campaign to making magic outlawed for another to just running a straight high-magic realms game. Only Harn really comes close to a perfect setting.

Jeff

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Heh, my roommate absolutely hates Elminister. He reads every FR novel and loves the world, but hates Elminster with a passion. I never have been able to figure that out. I myself love everything there is about the Forgotten Realms. I have been running all my campaigns in the Realms since the day they printed the Forgottem Realms boxed set 1st Edition.

To me there is no better world, I have done just about everything from destroying half the world for one campaign to making magic outlawed for another to just running a straight high-magic realms game. Only Harn really comes close to a perfect setting.

Jeff
I love the FR world too, and i too have run across folks that hate Elminster. Never understood why, either. Oh well, i guess someone has to hate him.

Thoth-Amon

tesral
08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I love the FR world too, and i too have run across folks that hate Elminster. Never understood why, either. Oh well, i guess someone has to hate him.

Thoth-Amon

He's a PoV NPC. If I ran FR you would likely never meet him.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Really the only way my players may(not would) run across Elminster is if they were pushing the 20th level mark and the theme of the campaign was relevent. Otherwise, no.

Thoth-Amon

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't know much of Elminster. Aside from what was in the front of the setting book. And in there he seemed full of himself.

I never read the Elminster series. just couldn't get into them.

JayJurczynski
02-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I like the Shining South area of FR. It doesn't seem to appear in the FR books so I can customize it for my campaign as I like. It allows me to use parts of a familiar world, but not have to worry about running into conflicts with stuff my players have read.

MortonStromgal
02-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I like the Sword Coast. The video games got me more into FR than anything else.

Drizzit red
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I like everything about it....but if I had to choose, I guess I would choose the races.

The novels about this region are great. I am currently reading the Last Mythal series by Richard Baker. (great series)

raven21
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I love the FR and everything about it. Every game that I have ever run has been set in it and most of the games I play have been set in it. For some reason it is just the realm that interests me the most.
I like Elminster I like his story his first book is the best. Also if players go looking to meet him they could and should no be able to. He is one of those people that feels that you should solve your own problems. People can go to his tower and request to see him, Leaho his personal assistant goes to great lengths to make it as painful boring to do so. He forces you fill out a request form that is a stack of papers a mile high. The request has to be exact, for instance if you go there seeking help and it is on someone elses behalf but you don't state that you have to fill out all new papers which Leaho kindly tells you after you have incorectly filled out the first set. Then he makes you wait and when it becomes the next day you have to fill out all new papers. So you chances of going to see him are so slim that you mine as well go looking for artifacts becasue you at least have a chance of finding one of them.

InvestFDC
02-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Put me down for regions and races. I feel like i am from there due to my reading of over 10,000 pages of Forgotten Realms novels, as well as playing a few F.R. modules.

Thoth-Amon

I concur. Having read the novels I feel like a local. I know the maps and areas of interest to me. Dragon Lance gave me the feel of a bunch of pretty, yuppie campers out on a holiday, singing around the campfire, roasting marshmallows.

RealmsDM
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Hands down for me its the great history the setting has. That helps players & DMs get into character, and its just plain fun.

nijineko
02-13-2009, 12:13 PM
never gamed in fr. read a couple of books, and browsed through all the d&d releases for it, but that's it. never really played the video games either. i liked the ideas of backgrounds for characters, and some of the feats were good ideas as well. a few classes were worth adapting. i enjoy the large amount of background and history, but only find the occasional snippet worth using. i think i liked the who's-who of dragons the best of all. i was irritated by the handling of maztica. ^^ despite all that i can usually point out where stuff is on a fr map. =P i like maps.

Anaesthesia
02-13-2009, 07:29 PM
One of my favorite settings. I like everything about it. ;) I'm kinda indifferent to both Drizzt and Elmister (go figure!). *shrug*

On another site, I ended up taking over/absorbing a Houdini DM's FR campaign-when I transitioned the group to a campaign I written for FR, I told them they weren't even allowed to think of meeting Drizzt. They were going into the Icewind Dale region and besides they're level 2.

One of my favorite characters I've done so far is currently adventuring FR (Kinge, a Half-Drow Cleric of Vhaeraun), with a weird collection of allies.

tesral
02-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Drizzle...Angels as Minister's of grace preserve us.

And yes, Kender are bad Hobbits.

Aaron Young
02-21-2009, 01:54 AM
I like the races. And I agree about the novels. Before I finish I make sure I have another so I can keep reading...

Shale
02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I ran/played a game set in and around the Dalelands, but more recently I had a lot of fun researching The North. I really enjoyed the orc wars aspect and how, really, orcs have been infesting Faerun like cockroaches ever since fools in ancient Mulhorand gated them in from their home world. I'd like to see alliances between goblinoids and demihumans in bids to stem their expansion and influence. If you want a hate of orcs in your character, then The North is a good place to be.

Also, the Uthgardt are actually quite interesting. It's no trouble at all setting a pseudo-scandinavian in and around their stomping grounds. They have quite a range of potential behaviors as well.

Thorn
04-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I've perfered the elves and the group wander in Deepingdale.

BrotherDog
04-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Saurials!

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Windstar
04-27-2009, 06:51 PM

Oh I agree with that whole heartedly, nicly said Dragon.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:<----Drizzt is too cool!!!!!!!

Oldgamer
05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I like the setting as a whole, but if I were to pick a few favorites, I'd say the Races and Regions. There is so much to the setting: Feats, Regional Feats, Spells ... it really is an incredible and in depth setting.

Dark
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
All of the Realms rocks but I've ran most of my pbp games set in the Ice Spires area.

Windstar
05-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I have always been drawn to the depths of the underdark. There is everything there. Including my favorite race, the Drow.

:cool::cool:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-01-2009, 11:19 PM
I have always been drawn to the depths of the underdark. There is everything there. Including my favorite race, the Drow.

:cool::cool:
You and me both, Windstar.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
A few of my favorite areas are: The Shining South, Amn (City of Crimmor, Dragon 334), Moonsea area and the Underdark.

Moritz
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
The 'feel' of the world.

Tibrand
10-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I like the half orcs.

Not for the barbarism or for the stereotypes of them.

I like the Half orcs because i think that race completed what was thought about with the half elves but never succeeded. From my point of view half elves was to be seen as "outcasts" torn between 2 worlds and not accepted in either of them, but from video games, novells, movies etc the image of half elves is not outcasts or outsiders it is more lone wolf awesomeness in that race and it is here i think half orcs are a forgotten race in a forgotten realm.

The half orcs as a race have a very good potential in roleplaying that, the outcasts not accepted in the civilization build by man as they are seen as barbarians and monsters just as their relatives the orcs. In orcish society they are seen as weak and lesser.

And also i love the story behind Kelemvor. Luskan and Thay is interesting regions.

traesin
10-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Ah the Realms. That's where I live.

enough said.

Arkhemedes
10-13-2009, 09:01 AM
My favorite things about the realms:

The Old Empires and the Dragon Reach
Myth Drannor and Under Mountain
The Phaerim and the Zhentarim
Storm and the Simbul
Dragons, Dragons, Dragons
And too many characters to name...

TheYeti1775
10-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Loved Thay. :D

In all I both loved and hated FR at the same time and for the same reasons. So much published information.

d-_-b
10-14-2009, 09:01 AM
I like the fact that is it a fleshed out world with a history and various cultures and settings on which I can draw when writing up adventures for my gaming group, and that it assists me and my group in creating memorable characters with a background, culture, identity and goals which facilitates roleplaying and keeps the game from becoming too much Hack n' Slash.

I think the regional and racial feats are a great idea.

upidstay
10-18-2009, 08:03 AM
I use the FR in my current home brew campaign because of the huge wealth of easily available (and cheap) material out there. I use the maps and the city descriptions, simply because I don't have time to make my own anymore. Aside from that, the only time my players ever met Elminster was that old drunk they asked for directions. Alustriel is a local street whore in Baldur's Gate.

Lucifer_Draconus
10-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Love the setting. I like the varied races & regions.
I love the Drow & Half-Orcs.
The Sword Coast , Unaproachable East , Kara Tur.
Won't read the most recent novels set un the corrupted FR setting. I didn't mind earth motes & some changes except the changes to Genesai & Tieflings.

I also blame Drizzt & crew for my addiction to FR.

Thorn
10-26-2009, 11:20 AM
The Daleslands[Deepingdale], Silverymoon-Icewindale

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-26-2009, 06:05 PM
I have always been a fan of the RPG and the novels but I never had a chance to play in it.

I like everything about it, it is an amazing setting with a rich history. For me it is the quintessential fantasy setting. (next to LotR of course!)

mnemenoi
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I loved the detail and rich history that went into making the races playable (Dwarves being my fav - Mountain that is...)
The regions - The North, Great Grey lands of Thar, Thay
The magic - Hands down, the specialty priests were amazing
The gods - very convoluted pantheons full of detail and intrigue (though mine does differ from cannon, Leira and Bhaal were just way too cool to lose)
The Heroes and Villains - Loved the Villains, the heroes I always avoided in my games. I hated upstaging the PC's

WhiteTiger
10-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm mostly a fan of regions especially Al-qadim. :flame:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm mostly a fan of regions especially Al-qadim. :flame:

I've heard good things for i haven't had enough experience with it to accurately judge it... but what i have experienced-which is very little-is great potential.