PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi meets Fantasy

Muncher23
08-13-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm thinking of running a Sci-Fi meets Fantasy game where the players are the crew of a inter-steller exploration vessel that crashes on a fantasy world. Any good adventure ideas? Module suggestions etc. I'll be using True20 but I could convert anything.

Muncher23

Webhead
08-13-2008, 09:14 AM
I once contemplated running a campaign in sort of a reverse scenario inspired by the Dragonstar RPG.

My idea was to run the first few levels of the campaign as a straight-up D&D game with the players none the wiser. Build characters using the PHB and run a series of adventures that way. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, their world is suddenly descended upon by massive floating islands (starships) and at that point, they would be thrust into the "reality" that their world is just one planet in a galaxy full of more advanced beings. I thought it sounded fun.

That said, you might want to consult the Dragonstar books for ideas on how to mesh sci-fi with fantasy. Any edition of Gamma World would also probably give some good ideas.

ronpyatt
08-13-2008, 09:19 AM
One word - Synnibarr. Actually it's 4 words "The World Of Synnibarr"
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10564.phtml
I could not grok the system, but the fantasy mixed with tech stuff inspired some strange adventures for me.

Webhead
08-13-2008, 09:39 AM
One word - Synnibarr. Actually it's 4 words "The World Of Synnibarr"
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10564.phtml
I could not grok the system, but the fantasy mixed with tech stuff inspired some strange adventures for me.

Be very careful around Synnibarr though, as I alluded to in another thread (I forget which), Synnibarr will latch onto your soul and slowly feed off it. It is definately one of the most unique RPGs I've ever seen, but it is also utter madness in printed form. If you have any idea what the RPG Rifts is like, you should be made aware that Synnibarr makes Rifts look like Barbie's Horse Adventure...

Grizzly bears with laser vision and rocket clams...'nuff said.

Edit: Here's the link to the thread where I referenced Synnibar earlier:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6941

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking of running a Sci-Fi meets Fantasy game where the players are the crew of a inter-steller exploration vessel that crashes on a fantasy world. Any good adventure ideas? Module suggestions etc. I'll be using True20 but I could convert anything.

Muncher23
You can say that they(space crew) received an emergency beakon from space & deciding to do a rescue mission, got caught up in the magical atmosphere and crashed. What about that beacon? Use S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, set in a fantasy world of your choosing... FR, etc.

Thoth-Amon

Tamerath
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
I once contemplated running a campaign in sort of a reverse scenario inspired by the Dragonstar RPG.

My idea was to run the first few levels of the campaign as a straight-up D&D game with the players none the wiser. Build characters using the PHB and run a series of adventures that way. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, their world is suddenly descended upon by massive floating islands (starships) and at that point, they would be thrust into the "reality" that their world is just one planet in a galaxy full of more advanced beings. I thought it sounded fun.

That said, you might want to consult the Dragonstar books for ideas on how to mesh sci-fi with fantasy. Any edition of Gamma World would also probably give some good ideas.

I Love Dragonstar d20 3.5. Spelljammer too if you go back as far as 2nd edition D&D. GURPS I hear is also good. Remember that 2nd Edition Boxed Set? Night of the Comet? That was killer back in the day. I think all these are good suggestions...I wish you well on it. I think if done correctly it can really blow the socks off your players!

Bearfoot_Adam
08-14-2008, 09:18 PM
It's would be a gritteir feel but you could have some fun with Shadowrun or other cyberpunky type settings.

nijineko
08-14-2008, 09:48 PM
star frontiers!

andre norton has some good source material for you as well. you want gritty? find the buck rodgers books published by tsr. the lensman series is great for the flash gordon feel, not to mention flash gordon. ^^

and concerning synnibarr, your forgot to mention how you can die during character creation or become an immortal offspring of a god and get to multi-class... (based on your wealth roll, no less ?!?!?!) or was that multi-race, it does get a bit confusing.... not to mention the drakes, or how you can randomly roll just about every power in the book at first level, too. rolling "wear a paper bag over your head" for comliness is always a treat.

still, i must have say i had some seriously fun adventures with the system. always remember, never try to grapple a psi-elf!