PDA

View Full Version : Second Life and Gamers

thomaswhodoubts
08-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I've recently joined Second Life and was wondering if there's a gaming community there. I've so far been disappointed in the incredible lack of people who speak in full sentences, unlike the people on this forum, so was wondering if anyone knew where gamers might hang out - and not anime fanboy gamers - I've seen a couple of vampire wannabes wondering around, but that's not exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for your input

Valdar
08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I played in SL for a bit- the content creation would have been awesome if it worked... but, the code was brittle, and the modeling was, shall we say, vestigial. But for what it was trying to do, it was bold, and still is. I should check it out again sometime.

tesral
08-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm way to busy with First Life to mess with Second Life. All that "stuff" I write does not write itself. It takes blood, sweat, toil and tears. Between that, e-mail, and the fourms I don't have time for SL WoW or their cousins.

(I'm threating my printer with replacement if it doesn't straighten up and print right.)

nijineko
08-15-2008, 02:15 AM
i might wander onto second life eventually. as a favor to a friend, actually. i need practice modeling and the like, they need stuff to sell. it might work. until they hook second life into a wii-like system, i don't think it'll spread quite like they hope. still, any virtual world that can generate a real world economic influence is not to be taken lightly.

thomaswhodoubts
08-18-2008, 08:25 AM
i might wander onto second life eventually. as a favor to a friend, actually. i need practice modeling and the like, they need stuff to sell. it might work. until they hook second life into a wii-like system, i don't think it'll spread quite like they hope. still, any virtual world that can generate a real world economic influence is not to be taken lightly.

I don't know how they count it, but there's generally over a million users for any given 60 day period, and I have yet to go on with less than 40-50,000 current users - which might explain why I can't do anything - too much lag time. I guess, given all the other multiplayer formats, this would be a silly place to game. Just thought there might be a 'tavern' to hang out in.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm way to busy with First Life to mess with Second Life. All that "stuff" I write does not write itself. It takes blood, sweat, toil and tears. Between that, e-mail, and the fourms I don't have time for SL WoW or their cousins.

(I'm threating my printer with replacement if it doesn't straighten up and print right.)
I'm in the same boat as tesral, i just dont have the time to spare from my first life. I've known folks that play it and they are totally addicted. I asked them why it was so addicting, and there answers bored me to tears. My humble conclusion? Youll either love it or be bored with it, so if youre interested, give it a shot, and share with us your opinion.

Thoth-Amon

spotlight
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I enjoy play-by-post, play by email, play in chat. Which of course I and all others can do right here on this site. But as for S.L. and other on line places like this, well, until I win a huge fortune on the lottery, forget it, Sister. sorry to be such a poop deck about it.

Grimwell
08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
SL is a bit too unrefined to actually go big even in the niche's of the mainstream. They have on of the best marketing teams in the online worlds industry; and while I've tinkered with it I didn't catch the infection.

I prefer online games to online free form worlds and all things people *ahem* create in them.

nijineko
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
yeah, having wandered around for just a bit, i've gathered the following. each square of specific size is tied to one cpu in their server stacks. depending on how many people are in that location, plus how much stuff has to be visualized will lag your connection down. going to an area that has nothing and noone will speed you up, but with obvious disadvantages.

i found that many locations are just slapped together. a very few are crafted by skilled individuals and are well worth the look-see. these individuals tend to be in high demand by the lazy or less talented. which can be lucrative. there are combat areas, but one would have to learn at least the basics of modelling, texturing, animation, and scripting-plus the sl specific quirks too, to really make something worth while.

the basic avatars are pretty well thought out as a whole, considering the built-in animations, gestures, and other options. the flying thing is kinda fun. there seem to be large numbers of those who are there for fetishes of various kinds, that they can't do physically, or in some cases legally, in real life. another large group consists of those who are artists or otherwise skilled in some aspect of 3d animation or scripting and are there for fun, profit, practice or related. the rest seem mainly the curious and the intrigued.

i had the good fortune of meeting one of the high-quality creators by randomly wandering around. interesting conversation.

so with all the vast wisdom gained from two days poking around... there you have my impressions. ;)

thomaswhodoubts
06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
yeah, having wandered around for just a bit, i've gathered the following. each square of specific size is tied to one cpu in their server stacks. depending on how many people are in that location, plus how much stuff has to be visualized will lag your connection down. going to an area that has nothing and noone will speed you up, but with obvious disadvantages.

i found that many locations are just slapped together. a very few are crafted by skilled individuals and are well worth the look-see. these individuals tend to be in high demand by the lazy or less talented. which can be lucrative. there are combat areas, but one would have to learn at least the basics of modelling, texturing, animation, and scripting-plus the sl specific quirks too, to really make something worth while.

the basic avatars are pretty well thought out as a whole, considering the built-in animations, gestures, and other options. the flying thing is kinda fun. there seem to be large numbers of those who are there for fetishes of various kinds, that they can't do physically, or in some cases legally, in real life. another large group consists of those who are artists or otherwise skilled in some aspect of 3d animation or scripting and are there for fun, profit, practice or related. the rest seem mainly the curious and the intrigued.

i had the good fortune of meeting one of the high-quality creators by randomly wandering around. interesting conversation.

so with all the vast wisdom gained from two days poking around... there you have my impressions. ;)
Thanks for the information - now I understand why they are so laggy. Fortunately, we decided to cut the Internet to our home, so I'm digging into minis, Lego armies, and - gasp - rpg books.