PDA

View Full Version : Rangers

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I love the ranger class. or did in 3ed. (haven't had a chance to be a player yet). But based upon what i read in the 4ed book it seems like the Ranger went from a woodland based character (3ed) to a diplomat (4ed).

Which, to you, is better?

Maelstrom
08-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Diplomat? How so? They don't even have access to the diplomacy skill.

4e Rangers are wicked buggers with two weapons or a bow, they can really lay down the hurt with their really cool powers (such as split the tree) and Hunter's Quarry ability. I really like where they took the 4e ranger.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-09-2008, 03:41 AM
I love the ranger class. or did in 3ed. (haven't had a chance to be a player yet). But based upon what i read in the 4ed book it seems like the Ranger went from a woodland based character (3ed) to a diplomat (4ed).

Which, to you, is better?
One of our players loved playing the Ranger. I didnt play the Ranger myself so i dont know that which you speak about the diplomat skill, all i remember is if he had said skill, he never used it. I have a game later today, i'll have to read up on it.

Thoth-Amon

ronpyatt
08-09-2008, 10:59 AM
They did some really cool things with the ranger, and diplomacy is not one of their class skills. Two-Blade Rangers and Archer Rangers approach the game from two directions, but they're powers are awesome. Strong and stealthy woodsmen pretty much wrap this class up in a big red bow. Their powers are martial based. "Nimble Strike" defines a 1st level archer and "Hit and Run" describes two-blade tactics pretty well.
And Hunter's Quarry just adds icing on top. Very sweet.

DMMike
08-09-2008, 11:17 PM
So I tried to find the Ranger's game-breaker and couldn't do it. Did they leave off "save ends" from an ongoing damage somewhere?

I'll give 3e rangers credit for being a nice mix of rogue and fighter - stealth skills, light armor, and an institutionalized combat focus. Cool class right? Well, let's throw in spellcasting and an animal companion just to make sure. How's the 4e version look now?

Tamerath
08-10-2008, 07:00 AM
I've played ranger characters all the way from 2nd edition. I feel that the 4th edition ranger, by far, gave me the best feel. You basically have two builds...two sword style or archery. Either way, they DO lay down the hurt as Maelstrom said. Personally I used a mix of the two builds. I took Two Sword fighting (for toughness) and picked powers that used BOTH two swords OR bow attacks (like hunter's bear trap). I'm not diplomatic. I worship the Raven Queen and understand that all life has an end, and indeed, *I* am the means to that end.

Engar
08-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Notice no one is commenting on the 4e ranger's affiliation with nature or protection of the environment. They are now "strikers". Why trifle with the details, roleplay is overrated.

ronpyatt
08-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Notice no one is commenting on the 4e ranger's affiliation with nature or protection of the environment. They are now "strikers". Why trifle with the details, roleplay is overrated. It is assumed that people know the Ranger is a nature class, but you have a good point. Hunter's Quarry has already been mentioned. However, since you asked, reading through some of the ranger powers gives a better feel for the "nature" part of the ranger class, Dire Wolverine Strike, Fox's Cunning, Two-Fanged Strike, Hunter's Bear Trap, Jaws of the Wolf, and Split the Tree - all of which are found to be 1st level ranger powers.
"As a ranger, you possess almost supernaturally keen senses and a deep appreciate for untamed wilderness." - Ranger, PHB, page 103.

You are correct that the mechanics don't tell you how to play your ranger. The PHB does suggest the type of ranger you might want to play, but they leave the roleplaying up to the roleplayer. Roleplaying is encouraged througout the books. So are combat, skill challenges, monster groups, adventure, rewards, treasures, plot points, story lines, and having fun.

Valdar
08-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Rangers are a good striker class, but for "laying down the hurt", they play second fiddle to Rogues. Sneak Attack is insane- and with Stealth, First Strike, and Flanking, Rogues get to use it almost all the time.

Maelstrom
08-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, I made a comparison with the best-damaging at-will powers.

Brawny Rouge using Sly Flourish, using a shuriken or hand crossbow:
1d6 (weapon) + dex mod + cha mod + 2d6 (sneak attack) + str mod

With a +3 dex, +2 cha, +3 str, that'd be 3d6 + 8. Ouch. Avg around 18-19 damage, crit 26

Archer Ranger using Twin Strike on his quarry:
2d10 (two bow attacks) + 1d6 (Hunter's Quarry). Avg 14-15, Two Crits 26

Yup, brutal rouge wins... adding 3 different ability score modifiers with sly flourish and the brutal scoundrel ability is pretty wicked. Of course if he isn't able to get his sneak attack in, its only 1d6+5 damage.

Though he can get sneak attacks in most of the time as Valdar suggests, there will be times he can't, while the Ranger will very rarely not be able to use the full brunt of his attack (if he just can't get a quarry on a target he wants to hit).

Valdar
08-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Give the Brutal Rogue a rapier and the backstabber feat (if that's the correct name), and it just gets more wicked.

Sneak attack isn't all the time, sure, but quarry gets tricky too. Rangers usually want to use their range to take out controllers and artillery, but there's always some minion that's closer, and quarrying minions is pointless.

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-13-2008, 05:43 PM
I apollogize for even starting this thread. I must have mixed things up in my head. When i said rangers were diplomats i was thinking Half Elves. Which in my mind are rangers. (my favored race/class combo).