PDA

View Full Version : D&D "Against the Giants" Minatures

Grimwell
08-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Thoughts or opinions? I don't play the game, but have picked up the odd booster over the years to get figures for my games. My first (but not only) pick from the current set landed me this beauty:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mi20080619a_shadhulk.jpg

That's a Shadow Hulk and it makes me a very happy GM with evil thoughts. :)

mrken
08-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I can see your smile from here. lol Yeah, I have snuck a few of my son's DnD minis from his shelf from time to time. Everyone totally has a cow because I play the monster with abilities totally out of my head since I don't have a clue what the book says about the monster. lol Sort of like all the rest of my monsters.

Maelstrom
08-21-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm not into the large sets. The boosters cost around 6$ more, and a lot of the huge figures are ones I wouldn't see the value in for D&D Minis gameplay, at least for the 200 point games I normally play. That Shadow Hulk is definitely a good find though, congrats!

tesral
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm just in it for the minis themselves, any set, any edition. They are relativity cheap, they are painted, they are nigh indestructible. I can carry a bunch around in a plastic file box sorted in zip-lock baggies.

I love pewter, but the plastic d&D minis are just too neat to not take advantage of.

Skunkape
08-22-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm just in it for the minis themselves, any set, any edition. They are relativity cheap, they are painted, they are nigh indestructible. I can carry a bunch around in a plastic file box sorted in zip-lock baggies.

I love pewter, but the plastic d&D minis are just too neat to not take advantage of.

I like them for the same reasons, but also I prefer plastic over metal because they are so much easier to assemble. Plastic glue makes them stay together, with the metal ones, if you don't pin them first, unless you can weld them together...

Grimwell
08-24-2008, 01:16 AM
That's also my reason to love them. I can't paint worth a hoot... and don't have the time to paint anyway. These are pre-painted, some are just amazing, and the price per mini is very cheap when you factor it in.

The randomness does not bother me at all because I can always use another orc, etc. Plus the uber ones are just hawt.

Maelstrom
08-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Ebay is pretty glutted right now with minis. If you don't care whether you get rare ones and just want to stockpile for D&D sessions, now is a good time to buy.

DeathByDM
09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't play the minis game, I only use the D&D minis for RPG purposes. I haven't painted minis since I was a kid but with 4e I really needed minis (I started using them in 3e, but I never had enough).

I really like the big boosters, and Against the Giants is no exception. There's nothing like opening a pack to see a huge red dragon staring back up at you.

I've also gotten giants, purple worms, and some interesting golems in this pack.

I also like the small guys I've gotten in this. I've already pulled a couple of cockatrices and some good old goblins. Lots of great undead here too. I absolutely LOVE the flaming skeleton.

Sure, the big ones won't often see the light of day, but when they do, its SO worth it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
That's also my reason to love them. I can't paint worth a hoot... and don't have the time to paint anyway. These are pre-painted, some are just amazing, and the price per mini is very cheap when you factor it in.

The randomness does not bother me at all because I can always use another orc, etc. Plus the uber ones are just hawt.
Same reason i pay for prepainted ones. I just dont have the time to paint them, besides, there are some really fantastic painted mini's out there for cheap.

Thoth-Amon

cigamnogard
04-24-2009, 07:41 PM
It's taken me years but I am getting closer and closer to having my collection painted!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Closer to completing, or closer to starting the work? :D

Teclis44
04-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Well since Against the Giants came out last year. There has also been Demonweb, lots of Drow in that set, and now the new Players Handbook Heros. WoTC has pulled support to the miniatures game but has agreed to allow a group of players to have the license. Check out DDMGUILD.com The new packaging for the miniatures is 3 visible pieces for I believe $8.99? There are 6 different sets to the Players Handbook Hero's. Coming up in May we have Dangerous Delves. One visible Uncommon and I think 5 others in each booster.

Link to PH mini pictures and discussions

http://www.hordelings.com/forums/postView.php?post_id=185499&viewPage=0#185499

Dangerous Delves

http://www.hordelings.com/forums/postView.php?post_id=185219&viewPage=0#185219

http://www.hordelings.com/forums/postView.php?post_id=185607&viewPage=0#185607

http://www.hordelings.com/forums/postView.php?post_id=185849&viewPage=0#185849

cigamnogard
05-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Closer to completing, or closer to starting the work? :D
Little of column A - little of column B
No, actaully all painted!

Windstar
05-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Just bought my first of the new mini's and was impressed with the detail. Will be getting more.

:cool:

mrken
05-02-2009, 12:13 AM
It's taken me years but I am getting closer and closer to having my collection painted!

You simply must share some photos with us. Put them in the minis threads.

tesral
05-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Impressed no, reasonably satisfied, yes.

cigamnogard
12-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Sure - will do!

WhiteTiger
12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Impressed no, reasonably satisfied, yes.

I'm of the same mind, Tesral. They are not the best figs but for plastic they are pretty good and I only have time to paint maybe 1 fig per month.

The figs that I use for D&D sessions are 90% plastic / 10% pewter.

tesral
12-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm of the same mind, Tesral. They are not the best figs but for plastic they are pretty good and I only have time to paint maybe 1 fig per month.

The figs that I use for D&D sessions are 90% plastic / 10% pewter.

We run about the same ratio. Plastic pre-paints are never going to be works of art (OK, almost never, the Colossal Red Dragon is a total WOW.) but they are good and useful.

bigironvault
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I paint pretty well but those minis are just too useful from my perspective. You can literally get them a $1 for a dozen and its great for big encounters etc.