PDA

View Full Version : Calculating XP vs Level Reduction

Skunkape
08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm just curious as to how the DMs on this board would handle the following situation as it came up in a recent game and I thought it is an interesting situation.

A 12th level PC gets hit with a Enervation spell and gains 4 negative levels, making the character the equivalent of an 8th level character. When calculating XP for that character, would you determine the character's XP as a 12th level character or as an 8th level character?

Riftwalker
08-09-2008, 10:47 PM
12th level. You don't get more XP because you're poisoned, diseased, low on hit points, or any other affliction or negative status condition.

That's my vote anyway.

DMMike
08-09-2008, 11:09 PM
12th level. Because the character is 12th level with 4 negative levels. He doesn't become 8th level until he fails 4 very important saving throws.

nijineko
08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
enervation does not risk the permenant loss of the levels, they fade after a few hours based on the caster's level as per the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enervation.htm).

note that negitive levels are not the same as level loss. a negitive level grants very specific negitive penalties of specific numeric values that have nothing to do with level loss or gain. on the other hand, should the negitive levels last beyond 24 hours, AND the saving throw mentioned above is failed, THEN the negitive levels go away (restoring the character to normal level) AND also immediately cause a permanent loss of a character level, per saving throw failed-as per the definition of negitive energy levels (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) .

thus technically, negitive levels and level loss are two different things.

as far as xp is concerned, the character is still 12th level. similar to level adjustment in some ways.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-10-2008, 09:58 PM
12th level, definitely.

Thoth-Amon

Skunkape
08-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I asked the question on the Wizard's boards as well and was pleasantly surprised that I got civil answers over there as well. What I didn't realize was that 4th edition did away with negative levels. That's one plus that 4th edition has, not that I'm leaving 3.5, but I gotta say, I've never been fond of negative levels.