PDA

View Full Version : Characters 4th Edition D&D PC Race

ronpyatt
08-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Inspired by one of my Fudge/PDQ campaign's PC's, I worked up a PC race that should be playable in 4e. In this version an Incubus is only half devil and half human.

Incubus.
Medium humanoid (human, devil, shapechanger).
Vision: Normal.
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma.
You have resist fire 5 + 1/2 your level.
Speed 6.

Once per encounter, you may use one of the following feature powers.

*Feature Power* Attack: Withering Touch (standard) 2+Dex vs. AC; 1d6 + con damage.

*Feature Power* Attack: Irresistible Kiss (standard) * Charm, 2+Cha vs. AC; on a hit make a secondary attack against the same target.
Secondary Attack: 2+Con vs. Will; the target will not attack you, and if the target is adjacent to you, the target will protect you when you are targeted by a melee or a ranged attack, the target interposes itself between you and the attacker and becomes the target of that attack instead of you. The effects last until the you or one of your allies attacks the target or until the end of the encounter. You can affect only one target at a time with this power.

*Feature Power* Attack: Domination (standard) * Charm, Ranged 5; 2+Int vs. Will; the target is dominated by you until the end of your next turn.

*Feature Power*: Change Shape (minor) * Polymorph, You can alter your form to take on the appearance of a Medium sized humanoid, including unique individuals.

Language: Common.

Incubi are the indirect result of human and succubus encounters, where the human survives and the succubus dies. The human becomes tainted with the demon essence. If the surviving human subsequently has a child, the demon essence will sometimes fuse with the child; making an incubus. Most incubus children are abandoned quickly after birth due to the aura of evil that pulses in a burst 2 Fear attack 10+ vs. Will once per minute. Incubi age rapidly over the next week coming into their powers almost immediately and shedding their natural evil aura. They begin walking after an hour, and a week old incubus can pass as a 3 year old human child. From then on, until 13 years of age, the incubus child matures at the same rate as a human child. Soon after their 13th birthday, Incubi experience rapid aging into maturity, reaching full adulthood within a year, at which point they stop aging until the day they die. Incubi life spans are comparable to elven. Incubi can have children but always result in human offspring.

Appearance: In their true form, adult incubi are unusually beautiful people that appear human in every respect save for an agelessness that is the mark their heritage.

Favored Classes: Warlock, Rogue, Warlord.

For advancing levels, an incubus can embrace his or her devil heritage and gain a few powers.

Available Incubus Heritage Feats:
Feat: Heritage Lowlight Vision.

Feat: Heritage Darkvision (Pre-req: Incubus, Lowlight).

Feat: Maturing Demon Heritage You can use an additional different Incubus feature once per encounter. Can be taken more than once, but any single racial feature may only be used once per encounter. For example, this allows an Incubus to use Dominate and Change Features in the same encounter, where normally only one of the two could be used in the encounter.

Feat: Demon Wings - (free action) Once per encounter, you can sprout bat like wings and fly 8 squares on this turn. If you are in the air at the end of your turn, you drift safely down to the square you ended in. Once per day, if you are falling this power can be used as an immediate action to reduce falling by 5 squares.

Feat Power: Apple of Discord - (standard) Once per encounter, you may create an apple like fruit and pronounce a phrase upon it that generally describes the apple belonging to someone with an attribute. Upon seeing this apple, a target that could describe itself by that phrase will desire to claim it as his or her own. Attack Int vs Will. Area 3 centered on the fruit. The fruit vanishes at your command or at the end of the encounter.
Hit: target is dazed and will attack anyone that attempts to grab the fruit. Save ends.

Feat: Greater Apple of Discord (pre-req: Apple of Discord) Expand the area of effect to 5 centered on the fruit.

DeathByDM
09-09-2008, 01:56 PM
This looks quite overpowered compared to the playable races in the monster manual which each only have one special ability.

Irrestistable Kiss is stronger than almost any ability in the game.
Domination itself is stronger than almost any ability in the game.

And it has change self? With this available, why would anyone be a doppleganger?

ronpyatt
09-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's been a while since I've looked at it. Here are my thoughts.

The Drow racial features have 2 powers listed for a PC race. I was using that as the model. Since only one power can be used once during an encounter, it gives the Drow a little variety. I had considered moving the Irresistible Kiss and the Withering Touch over as optional Feats.

The doppleganger has change self as an at-will power. Since the Incubus has this power as only an encounter power, after it is used once, the other feature powers can't be used for that encounter. I'm not seeing this as an issue for dopplegangers to worry about.

Domination lasts until the end of the character's next turn. Since Dominated means the target is dazed, which allows only 1 action to be taken, and the dominated can make only one at-will attack directed by the Incubus, this means that domination grants the Incubus one extra attack for the entire encounter as long as the initial Domination attack succeeds. When compared to the Dragonborn that get a breath weapon attack as a minor action on top of their standard action, I'm not sure how Domination is too powerful. I might consider reducing this to a Daily power if you can help me see what I'm missing on the value of this power. Perhaps moving this to an optional Feat would work better for balance.

The Kiss is also an encounter power, and it requires 2 successful hits to work. I think your right. It's too powerful as is. The duration might be a bit long. If I add "Save Ends", it should lessen the effectiveness.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-09-2008, 11:50 PM
If you dont mind, i'm going to occasionaly lurk on this thread till a final draft is posted, then i'm going to use the incubus/sucubus in an upcoming game. This character will fit in rather nicely.

Thoth-Amon

DeathByDM
09-10-2008, 06:14 AM
I think I would keep the two which really make this race iconic, which to me would be the kiss (which I agree needs to be a save ends effect) and the change shape (which your description does not say is per encounter).

I hesitate to give them all of these extra powers available as race-exclusive feats, only because there are very few feats which give powers. It does give them quite a big edge IMO.

DeathByDM
09-10-2008, 06:23 AM
I think I would keep the two which really make this race iconic, which to me would be the kiss (which I agree needs to be a save ends effect) and the change shape (which your description does not say is per encounter).

Also, I don't think you should be giving the +2 to every attack they have.

I hesitate to give them all of these extra powers available as race-exclusive feats, only because there are very few feats which give powers. It does give them quite a big edge IMO. Instead, try to make feats that improve the abilities they already have. Maybe make the domination an improvement to the kiss.

I also think the resist fire trait is too strong and IMO doesn't really fit. Instead, I think a skill bonus to bluff and another skill (stealth maybe?) would be more in line with other races.

ronpyatt
09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
which your description does not say is per encounter
yes, it does :) But I can see how easy it is to miss.

Once per encounter, you may use one of the following feature powers.The +2 is comparable to the Dragonborn breath attack.

I don't see the problem in having available the extra power feats. As time goes on the other races will have more power feats that show up in splat books and mags.

I was avoiding giving a bonus to skills, but a bonus to bluff, diplomacy, and intimidate sounds like a good idea. The choice of one at character creation!

I like the idea of domination as an improvement to the kiss power. Very appropriate.

Resist fire seems very important to the Succubus. The Tiefling has it. It fits rather well for an Incubus.

Thanks for the input. I'll rework and post anew.

nijineko
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Feat Power: Apple of Discord

Feat: Greater Apple of Discord

subscribing to the discordian philosophy, i see....

DeathByDM
09-11-2008, 10:21 AM
yes, it does :) But I can see how easy it is to miss.
The +2 is comparable to the Dragonborn breath attack.

I don't see the problem in having available the extra power feats. As time goes on the other races will have more power feats that show up in splat books and mags.

I was avoiding giving a bonus to skills, but a bonus to bluff, diplomacy, and intimidate sounds like a good idea. The choice of one at character creation!

I like the idea of domination as an improvement to the kiss power. Very appropriate.

Resist fire seems very important to the Succubus. The Tiefling has it. It fits rather well for an Incubus.

Thanks for the input. I'll rework and post anew.

OK I see the encounter thing now, and I guess with it only being one of the set per encounter it isn't as bad as I first thought.

Here's something to keep in mind. If you wanted to make a Warlock, what benefits does a Tiefling have over this creature? If there are none, then consider taking out something (like the fire resist) which would give the Tiefling at least a fighting chance. As-is, this seems so much better.

Just because the Dragonborn's breath weapon has +2 doesn't mean every ability this race has should have that bonus.

It's all about balance. Some of the abilities this has are pretty powerful. The goal should be to make this an interesting race to play but not the best race out there.

HartThorn
04-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, you could try doing something similar to the Genasi, where they get a resistance (flat 5), a skill bonus, and their racial power determined by which element they use. And then, make their appearance a little more... distinctive, and state in the shapeshift power that they while they mask their appearance, they lose access to their normal racial power. So you would have 2-3 branchs of incubi. If you choose "the Kiss", you get a Bluff bonus. If you coose "Dominate" you get an Diplomacy bonus, and if you choose "Withering Touch" you get Intimidate bonus. If their natural forms appeared as something more unsettling or frightening, this would mean keeping their true nature a secret more important. Maybe they get goat legs and lil horns, and part of their backstory is they're the actual makers of the "faun" legend. Their upper torso could still be unsettlingly beautiful, but this kind of race needs a reason to keep itself concealed...