PDA

View Full Version : Late to the party.

Law Dog
08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I've got to say that I'm just getting into the nWoD. I've been playing RPGs for over 30 years, pretty much every genre, most of the major systems inluding oWoD. Now maybe it was the way that my group played Vampire as a sort of shitty "Dubbed into English from Romanian ripoff of Innocent Blood". I developed a distaste for it. I can remember one stupid game that went nowhere with two Vampires, a Mummy, a Ghost and a Mulderesque Government agent human that turned into a game of who could screw with everybody else.

The current GM in our group wanted to run Mage, so I picked up the Core Book, Mage and Innocents.

Wow. I didn't know what I was missing. I just assumed that it was the same old stuff. Now I've picked up Promethian (and all the supplement books) and Changeling and some of the other stuff like Dogs of War and the Armory. I am highly impressed.

I haven't picked up Vampire or Werewolf (yet), but I'm happy with what I've been reading. All that money I'm saving by not buying D&D 4 is going to good use.:)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
I've been meaning to pick it up. I would welcome any thoughts and experiences you might share during your ongoing campaign.

Thoth-Amon

MortonStromgal
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
World of Darkness requires the right group. Until I went away to college I never played VtM despite my love of all things Vampire, because the VtM players I knew were creepy.

I think of the lines Mortals is by far the best. The big three are all missing the metaplot which makes me sad and the rules seam a bit more complicated for supernatural bits than the old (far simpler for mortals though)

Talmek
08-08-2008, 01:37 AM
I liked VtR personally. Granted, I STILL haven't had an opportunity to play it. Overall, I'd really look forward to playing it someday.

placebosonly
10-18-2008, 02:39 PM
World of Darkness requires the right group. Until I went away to college I never played VtM despite my love of all things Vampire, because the VtM players I knew were creepy.

i agree it does take the right group to play vampire games, in fact i only introduce vampires as adversaries for the reason its hard to play one well in my campaigns so i just dont allow vamps

Webhead
10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
I've pawed through the nWoD core rulebook and have found a number of changes that I like. Changes to the "success" mechanic, changes to "willpower" rules and some others. There are also changes that I don't like, but fortunately most of those seem easy enough to house-rule.

What I haven't read yet to any great length are any of the "setting" books. I have gotten some feedback from various oWoD fans of the various settings as well as read a selection of reviews. Most of them (especially my friends) agree that the nWoD is virtually a total reboot of everything...with all the advantages and disadvantages that that implies.

The nWoD I was primarily interested in knowing more about was Mage as that was my favorite of the oWoD games. By all accounts I've gotten, I would not like the new Mage. We enjoyed the original as a game of "reality's freedom fighters" and I am left with the distinct impression that such a thing is no longer the focus of the new Mage. The heavy swing to a much more "rote-based" magic system was also very discouraging. One of the central themes to our old Mage games was "your greatest strength is your imagination".

That said, I've not run or played any game with the new system yet, but I've been intrigued by a number of books in the "Mortals" line. An all-mortals game could be an interesting ride.

MortonStromgal
10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
What I haven't read yet to any great length are any of the "setting" books. I have gotten some feedback from various oWoD fans of the various settings as well as read a selection of reviews. Most of them (especially my friends) agree that the nWoD is virtually a total reboot of everything...with all the advantages and disadvantages that that implies.

Yes and No, its a reboot with a lot of old terminology only it means something new this time. Which can make your oWOD head spin...

The nWoD I was primarily interested in knowing more about was Mage as that was my favorite of the oWoD games. By all accounts I've gotten, I would not like the new Mage. We enjoyed the original as a game of "reality's freedom fighters" and I am left with the distinct impression that such a thing is no longer the focus of the new Mage. The heavy swing to a much more "rote-based" magic system was also very discouraging. One of the central themes to our old Mage games was "your greatest strength is your imagination".

I never groked oMage but the rotes in nMage confuse me... I'm constantly going "uh what can i do" I understand why they did it but I think it added to my personal confusion rather than helping as intended.

I've pawed through the nWoD core rulebook and have found a number of changes that I like. Changes to the "success" mechanic, changes to "willpower" rules and some others. There are also changes that I don't like, but fortunately most of those seem easy enough to house-rule.

That said, I've not run or played any game with the new system yet, but I've been intrigued by a number of books in the "Mortals" line. An all-mortals game could be an interesting ride.

The new system is cleaner. My personal house rules
1. no fighting merits (trust me, they are cool but they are not created equal)
2. weapons do auto damage "if" you hit rather than adding dice
3. for mortals wound modifiers are -1,-2,-3,-4,-5,-6
4. Defense is rolled and is the lower of dex or wits + brawl or weaponry, armor is not rolled and takes away damage on a 1 for 1
5. Initiative is rolled just like every other test

Kaewin
04-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Lawdog, I lurk of RPGnet and have seen you there abouts.

I like the nWoD. I am enjoying a very flavorful set of games using Mage. It has a good feeling of being superpowered but also being mortal. Some of the regular WoD books have goldmines in there for the mages if you look a little. I used to play old Mage but the ever present Technocracy got me. This system feels a little more free if you can ignore some of the Atlantis stuff.

I do like the rotes as they can paint a picture of about what you can do with your powers, sometimes my group got a little stuck on what they could or could not do. There is a system at the begining of the magic system with ideas to free use magic. I do wish they had done a slight better job at this but hey you can't have everything.

I have looked at Innocents myself and thought it might be good for a couple short games. My two daughters are intrested and are wearing me down.

If you get one supplement for mage make it the Tome of Mysteries. It has good sorce info.