PDA

View Full Version : Angel of... Azmodeus? What?

Valdar
07-31-2008, 11:02 PM
In 4e, it seems that WotC has completely done away with alternate terms for potentially touchy subjects- 3e went back to "demons" and "devils" instead of "tanari'i" and "baa'tezu" (sp?), but with 4e, the cycle is complete, with "Angel" replacing "Archon".

Sort of.

"Angels" are now servants of any deity, not just LG ones. So there will be evil ones. I am a little bothered by the word "Angel" referring to servants of evil deities (I know Lucifer was an Angel originally, so there is at least one evil Angel, but that doesn't seem like a repeatable act to me.)

So, I've been coming up with names for the "Angels" of any god, so I don't have to describe something as an "Angel" of Azmodeus, for instance. I've come up with the following so far, and would love to hear suggestions, based on D&D mythology, the real-world gods these deities represent, original ideas, substantive adjectives, and random web searches:

Avandra: Fair Winds
Bahamut: Platinal, Golden Wyrm
Corellon: Seelie
Erathis: Inevitable
Ioun: Disciple
Kord: Thunderer, Enforcer
Melora: Feral, Elysian
Moradin: Hammer, Fist, Paragon
Pelor: Archon, Solar
Raven Queen: Dark Crow, Reaper, Fate, Nankiltslas
Sehanine: Elysian, Muse

Azmodeus: ?
Bane: Horseman
Gruumsh: Nograh
Lolth: Unseelie
Tiamat: Abishai
Torog: Thousand Young, Byhakee
Vecna: ?
Zehir: Serpental

Any other ideas? Let me know what you think-

ronpyatt
07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
I prefer angel. 4e nails it right this time. However, any of those other terms you've come up with sound like great additions, which adds flavor, variety, and you can use the same angel stats for each. Just change the name. I like it.

Webhead
08-01-2008, 08:57 AM
..."Angels" are now servants of any deity, not just LG ones. So there will be evil ones. I am a little bothered by the word "Angel" referring to servants of evil deities (I know Lucifer was an Angel originally, so there is at least one evil Angel, but that doesn't seem like a repeatable act to me.)...

...and don't forget all the Angels who followed Lucifer and were cast down with him. That makes a bit of a case for "evil" Angels.

But I'll echo Ronpyatt's comment as well, all those alternate names are actually a pretty cool addition to spice up your game just a little bit more and make it more unique. Should I ever run a 4e game and incorporate "Angels", hope you don't mind if I steal a few of them. ;)

Mead
08-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Asmodeus: Hellfury

Vecna: Hand, Eye, Will

Valdar
08-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks all- Yeah, the collective term for these beings will still be "angel", but it makes sense to me that each god will have a different term for them (Webhead, hadn't heard about the other angels- gap in my Xtian education I guess- Did they still call themselves "Angels" at that point, or did they become devils?). And stats for all will be similar (they'll start with the stats from the MM), but definitely different powers- Azmodeus' agents would have fire powers, while Sehanine's would have charm-based ones, while something called a Thousand Young will be a swarm...

praksis
08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Have to agree, that's a nice addition there to the flavor of things. Never liked the Tanarii/Baatezu distinction as it was done to PCiffy things a little bit, ie to take something away from the game.

In this case it's adding back in flavor to each of the gods & how they value their officers. Definitely something I'll keep in mind for future games too. Great idea.

Webhead
08-01-2008, 01:04 PM
...(Webhead, hadn't heard about the other angels- gap in my Xtian education I guess- Did they still call themselves "Angels" at that point, or did they become devils?)...

I don't recall what other names they went by if any, but they were usually referred to simply as "fallen Angels"...Angels who chose to follow Lucifer and were cast out with him.