The Fragile (Nine Inch Nails)
Comalities (Lacuna Coil)
Harsh Generation (Grendel)
Judgement (Vnv Nation)
Heart of Everything (Within Temptation)
Bram Stokers Dracula (soundtrack)

boulet
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
There's a band whose several albums have made their way in my WoD games (or some Dark Age run by a friend) : Dead Can Dance. It's on the very emotional/lyrical side so it's a matter of playing this music softly. This mortal coil (another "band" produced by 4AD) has very good stuff too. Other than that I like to play Carl Orff's Carmina Burana and different pieces by Erik Satie.

placebosonly
10-18-2008, 01:34 PM
in my group my players take turns playing mix cds they bring so its different every game

Banshee
01-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Though this list is by no means complete, and in no specific order of preference:

NIN (older stuff)
Type O Neg
Slipknot
White Zombie
Lacuna Coil

placebosonly
01-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Though this list is by no means complete, and in no specific order of preference:

NIN (older stuff)
Type O Neg
Slipknot
White Zombie
Lacuna Coil
sounds alot like my playlist but with alittle bit of techno music when the players enter a club

Banshee
01-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Speaking of soundtracks, I would like to have my own theme song... who do I see about getting that done??? :laugh:

Chu
01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
We use soundtracks from different Animes. Here is some soundtracks from different things
1) Black Cat OST
2) Zelda OST
3) Midnight Syndicate
4) Last Exile OST (MUST HAVE)

Soulskinner
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
In our games we have prepare some lists but we usually let the S.T to choose the playlist... For example if we play HtV we preffer ambient metal and atmospheric black metal... If we play WtF we listen heavy thrash metal...
And if we play VtR we choose ambient metal, poeta negra, and other dark things...:biggrin:

Jymy
04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
How about the Succubus Club sound track from VtM. That fits my games, well all but Werewolf, then it's death metal time. (lol)

Kaewin
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I have The Crow and Crow City of Angels scores that I use.

mnemenoi
04-25-2009, 11:54 PM
It would truly depend entirely upon the game I was running, I have quite the collection

Chu
04-27-2009, 01:07 PM
It would truly depend entirely upon the game I was running, I have quite the collection

And what does your collection contain?:confused:

GoddessGood
05-04-2009, 04:45 PM
A player of mine just clued me in to Midnight Syndicate. They do awesome background music for that haunted house feel or just creepy music in general. I think he uses it for Cthulhu games, but it's great stuff.

amardolem
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
if a little synth-y

mnemenoi
05-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Well for Vamp I would likely use something Synthy, VNV or Apoptyma

Werewolf usually calls for some Black Metal, Emperor or maybe Machinenzimmer 412

Mage would be tough, likely Current 93 and Coil

Wraith is hands down Murder of Angels, dambient at its best

Changeling had to be a bit eccentric and upbeat, likely Moon lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud interspersed with some GOR and anything out of Prikosovnie (French Fairy label)

That would likely comprise my initial start and I'd tailor each accordingly to the players and their backgrounds.

Major Doom
06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
I just had my players run into a quad of nude female flesh eaters, and I started the encounter by playing Thriller. Keepin' it old school.

TaiRei
06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Hmmm, have to think about this one. I like to use soundtracks. Donnie Darko.

Dark
06-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Midnight Syndicate (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Midnight+Syndicate&x=21&y=19)

Born of the Night
Gates of Delirium
Realm of Shadows
The 13th Hour
The Rage
Vampyre
Van Helsing's Curse

:ranger: Any of those you can't loose. ;)

TheRageOfGaia
06-26-2009, 06:43 PM
The Rage Of Gaia’s Chronicle Music Guide
I’ve been working on this for some time, and though it is tailored to the World of Darkness (because that is my first love) I have included a couple of extra categories for “other” systems. This is by no means an exhaustive list of anything, nor am I any type of expert. But here it is.
General Tips on Using Music in Session
1.) Think about the mood/atmosphere you’re trying to create with the music.
2.) Steer clear of popular music, you want the players to feel the music, not sing along.
3.) A useful trick is to choose a “theme” but don’t tell the players, then whenever something important is about to happen, play that track. After a while, the players will hear the opening notes and know something big is coming.
Music List (by Game)
General (fits any game) – Ambient, Classical, Industrial, New Age, Soundtracks, Techno, Trance
Changeling: the Dreaming – Blues, Country, Folk, Nature Sounds, Celtic
Changeling: the Lost – Blues, Celtic, Folk, Gothic, Hip-Hop/Rap, Metal, Punk
Demon: the Fallen –Gospel/Soul, Gothic, Metal, Opera, Punk
Hunter: the Reckoning – Blues, Country, Gothic, Hip-Hop/Rap, Metal, Punk
Hunter: the Vigil – Blues, Gothic, Hip-Hop/Rap, Metal, Punk
Mage: the Ascension – Blues, Celtic, Folk, Gothic, Hip-Hop/Rap, New Age, Punk
Mage: the Awakening – Blues, Celtic, Folk, Gothic, New Age
Promethean: the Created – Blues, Country, Folk, Gospel/Soul, Gothic, Punk
Vampire: the Masquerade – Gospel/Soul, Gothic, Metal, Opera, Punk
Vampire: the Requiem – Gospel/Soul, Gothic, Hip-Hop/Rap, Metal, Punk
Werewolf: the Apocalypse – Blues, Celtic, Country, Folk, Metal, Punk
Werewolf: the Forsaken – I don’t know this game, and I don’t much care to.
Wraith: the Oblivion – Blues,Celtic, Folk, Gospel/Soul, Gothic, Metal, Opera, Punk

Now for those “other” games:

Medieval Fantasy: Celtic, Folk, Gospel/Soul, Gothic, New Age, Opera
Science Fiction: Gothic, Metal, Punk

Recommended Artists (by Genre)
Ambient – Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Brian Eno, Michael Stearns, Biosphere, Aphex Twin
Blues – John Lee Hooker, Bessie Smith, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf
Celtic – Loreena McKennitt, Celtic Woman, The Chieftains, the Dubliners, the Pogues, Derek Bell
Classical – Beethoven, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Baroque, Romantic
Country – Willie Nelson, Whitey Shafer, Patsy Cline, David Allen Coe, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Garth Brooks
Folk – Woody Guthrie, Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Alison Krauss
Gospel/Soul - Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Al Green, Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder
Gothic – Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Fields of the Nephilim, The Cure, Lycia
Hip-Hop/Rap - Atmosphere, Heiroglyphics, Jedi Mind Tricks, Aesop Rock, Del tha Funkee Homo Sapien
Industrial – Nine Inch Nails, Front 242, Ministry, KMFDM, VNV Nation, Depeche Mode
Metal – Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax, Lacuna Coil
Nature Sounds – N/A
New Age – Enya, Enigma, Clannad, Vangelis, Yanni, Adiemus, Libana
Opera - You’re on your own, I’ve never actually used it.
Punk – the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Bad Religion, Minor Threat, Rancid, T.S.O.L., Pennywise
Techno – Paul van Dyk, DJ Mystik, Paul Oakenfold, Daft Punk, Sash!
Trance – Armin van Buuren, Tiësto, Faithless, Solarstone, Binary Finary

A Note On Soundtracks: This really depends on the kind of game you are running. Figure out your genre and your theme, as well as your moods, and then look for movies that are similar. For example, the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack would work well for Werewolf or Medieval Fantasy, but not so much for Vampire’s political intrigue. Nevertheless, here are some suggested soundtracks :
The Silent Hill Games, Resident Evil, the Blade trilogy, Conan the Barbarian, the Matrix, the Harry Potter Movies, Labyrinth, stuff by Philip Glass or John Williams, Lord of the Rings, 28 Days Later, the Scorpion King, etc. etc.
Last Word:
In my experience, the best place to get music for Role-Playing (legally) is internet radio. I haven’t actually tried this, but I bet there are programs that would allow you to record internet radio, though, this is most probably illegal. Compilation CDs by various artists, like the ones you see on late night infomercials are good, and if you don’t mind the risk, you can pirate just about anything that anyone has ever made… ever.
It is important to have a wide array of musical styles and artists to keep from being boring or predictabl, however, there are some must-haves on any game soundtrack. A good high energy trance song, a fast brutal punk song, and a grungey industrial song will make sure you have something for every style of combat. A few ambient or classical tracks to lay down for background noise, and a good theme for ending the scene are really all you need .
Sound effects can be used to great effect as well. “You open the door to your apartment, when all of the sudden [gunshot(s) from the stereo]” might be a cool way to introduce a scene.
Lastly, remember to time out your dialogue and the music, practice your descriptions a couple of times, it’s not a big deal to run out of song before you’re finished talking, but if you have your timing right, the music is much more effective.

MortonStromgal
06-28-2009, 06:08 PM
@ TheRageOfGaia (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=7757)

Thanks! that was an awesome post!

TheRageOfGaia
06-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks!

It's hard not to be verbose. I think music is one of the most underused DM tools out there. Every scene you run could be better with the right song.

Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, the Distillers, Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys make some good music for fight scenes, that aren't on the list.

Also, I didn't really touch on Classic Rock. Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, and other bands of that vein have a lot of music that can make for a good soundtrack.

Dark
07-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Very true. :)

prinnycook
07-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I am Ghost(all albums)
Underworld Soundtrack
Queen of the Damned Soundtrack
Creatures