PDA

View Full Version : Specific and Particular Discussion

fmitchell
07-22-2008, 02:33 AM
I'd like to try an experiment.

In the Suggestion Box I suggested that genres or systems without a specific forum should still be able to post somewhere, marking their thread with a prefix. Ideally that somewhere would be itself a new forum or subforum, but alas such a subforum would itself have to show enough interest to be created.

So, let's repurpose the "Generic/Universal Discussion" forum to serve as a temporary home for threads about specific game systems or genres besides D&D, Fantasy, GURPS, Call of Cthulhu, etc.

All such threads must have a distinct prefix, e.g. [Deadlands], [Aces & Eights], [Victorian], [Steampunk], [Western], [Pirate], etc.

For now, use the full name of a game system, or a SHORT description of the genre. If I can, I'm going to prefix all other threads in this subforum as an example.

This will allow us moderators to gauge whether we should create new subforums or new prefixes.

Thank you for your cooperation.

tesral
07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
OK, Steampunk should be the first. It doesn't fit modern, it isn't fantasy but it is. It's not science fiction but it is.. It can fit such vehicles at Wild, Wild, Wild West, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Girl Genius, and countless others.

fmitchell
07-22-2008, 04:45 PM
OK, Steampunk should be the first.

Perhaps, but I'd like to see some steampunk threads (and no, not just to say "here's a steampunk thread!"). I think people actually starting discussions about Steampunk -- or Westerns, Victorian Era, Feudal Japan, whatever -- will indicate whether there's sufficient demand for a new subforum.

For that matter, I'd also like to see if enough people want to discuss specific game systems besides D&D, D&D, GURPS, D&D, World of Darkness, D&D, That Other D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Cthulhu in D&D, Star Wars d20 (RCR, Saga, and Darths & Droids editions), d20 Modern, d20 D&D, and, oh yeah, D&D.

tesral
12-05-2011, 02:37 AM
I see that took off with a thud. Gee, I didn't know Steampunk could kill a thread that fast.

fmitchell
12-05-2011, 09:58 AM
The more I think about it, I think the genre-specific forums are a waste. We should do what the RPG.net forums do: D&D and Everything Else.

Possibly we could subdivide D&D like we have it now, and Everything Else according to the most popular systems: World of Darkness, Savage Worlds, GURPS perhaps, Call of Cthulhu or Basic Roleplaying, and the Independent Publisher forum. By now we have enough empirical data to decide which systems need their own forums.

tesral
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I got no sacred cows. Trim away.