PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Race to Play?

michaeljearley
07-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Thought about making it a poll, but figured I'd rather leave it open for more answers.

Personally, I've alwasy liked Dwarves.
Dragonborn might be the new fovorite. I've also played alot of bugbears.

mrken
07-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Generally I tend to prefer playing humans, but will play half elves fairly often. Some people don't like the way I play my elves as I see them as a bit different than humans. :lol: Way too often people seem to play them as humans that live a really long time. Don't like playing Dwarves even though my wife says I am one, :D a really tall one.

michaeljearley
07-19-2008, 08:08 PM
I've alwasys felt like a really tall one.
I hate playing human.
I agree with you on elves. I tend to use either LotR's elves or the ones for the Kellen Wildmage series.

Tomcat1066
07-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I tend to play humans, mostly because everyone else wants to play something more exotic.

I agree about the way most people play elves though, but it's actually true of the way most people play most races from my experience. The only difference is that they tend to play dwarves with a Scottish accent ;)

tesral
07-19-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm open to nearly anything if I can get a good concept going. Fact is I need a back story. "Human male fighter" just does not cut it. Give me a back story to go with that and I'm good.

Stormhound
07-19-2008, 09:17 PM
On those few occasions I play, I usually play human, but it depends on whether something in the game world's backstory inspires me to try something else.

michaeljearley
07-19-2008, 09:46 PM
See, I'm always pushing to be as non-standard as possible.

kirksmithicus
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Humans or Orcs

Addis Hellfire
07-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Pretty much any reptile . . . Dragons (Red), Draconians (Aurak), Yuan-Ti (Abomination or Half-Breed), Lizardfolk . . .

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-20-2008, 12:23 AM
The older i get, the further away from playing humans... and elves, i prefer. My favorites are halflings, half orcs, gnomes, or something even more strange, depending on the adventure.

Thoth-Amon

cplmac
07-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Humans and Dwarves. Mostly because that was what the fighters of the party PC's races were.

kirksmithicus
07-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Huh, you know it just occurred to me that I've never played a Dwarf. I've got nothing against them and they are interesting enough. If I ever play again, I think I will try a Dwarf.

Ramzei
07-21-2008, 01:36 AM
I really dont have a preference. If it is a campaign that dictates a race I play that, otherwise whatever I feel like at the moment.

Engar
07-21-2008, 07:20 AM
I loved darksun halflings and elves. Aaracockra were cool too.

Webhead
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Interestingly, I find I have tended to play humans in most of my previous D&D experiences (yes, even in 2e when being human "gimped" you unless you wanted to play a Paladin). Maybe part of that was a reaction to the often witnessed min-maxing that accompained some players' race selection. :noidea:

I've played just about every race at one point or another, however. I've played a dwarf fighter in 2e, which was fun thanks to whichever "Kit" it was that I was using for the character.

I've played an elf ranger who was lots of fun and responsible for why Ranger became my favorite class in 2e (but not so much 3e).

I've played a couple of halfling characters (mostly Thieves in 2e) that were fun.

Then there's Cev, the only gnome character that I've actually played. Very cool.

I built a concept for a half-orc psion before that I thought would be fun to play, but I never did use him.

I agree with Engar, the Dark Sun races were probably the most inspiring non-humans that I've encountered. The Dark Sun halflings and elves were really cool and thri-kreen as a "core" race was a neat option. Half-giants were definately one of my favorites as they were just so quirky and could make a great excuse for comic relief (which every adventure needs from time to time).

Kilrex
07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I like playing Gnomes. Fav character was a Gnome Rogue/Illusionist. Character I had the most fun was a Goblin Ranger.

Skunkape
07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Generally humans or elves.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-22-2008, 09:50 AM
I like playing Gnomes. Fav character was a Gnome Rogue/Illusionist. Character I had the most fun was a Goblin Ranger.
When allowed by the GM, i love playing Goblins.

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
When allowed by the GM, i love playing Goblins.

Thoth-Amon

I played a goblin once in 2e and remember it being fun. The game didn't last long though.

Highway Man
07-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Dwarf all the way. By far my favorite race in fantasy.

Greylond
07-22-2008, 06:23 PM
My favorite is Halflings. Second would be Elves but I've been known to play just about any race...

michaeljearley
07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Haflings.....HALFLINGS....why would anyone want to play a pie filled race??!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Yep, Gnome Illusionist/Rogue and Goblin Ranger/Rogue types are very cool and alot of fun to play. In fact, there are arguable my favorite.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Put me down for Hobbits, er um... Halflings. Great fun.

Thoth-Amon

Greylond
07-22-2008, 09:09 PM

I like Pie... ;)

To quote one of my old AD&D Characters(aHalfling Fighter);

"I Ain't HALF of nuthin'!"

Webhead
07-22-2008, 09:56 PM

In the words of Ebenezer Black Adder: "...I do tend to remove all sharp objects for fear of bursting one of them and getting showered in two dozen semi-digested pies..."

Then again, pie is no stranger to D&D. Does anyone remember the adventure, "The Orc and the Pie"?

nijineko
07-22-2008, 10:11 PM
i like trying a little of everything. i've long been fond of shapeshifters, especially once i figured out how to not have to be a druid just to be able to pull it off. =D

agoraderek
07-22-2008, 10:11 PM
,y favorite character was a gnoll fighter/cleric who wanted DESPERATELY to be a paladin, but didn't have a chance in the abyss, frankly (low charisma, bad breath, fleas...).

my favorite race, though, would be kobold. nice lawful neutral kobolds who give kiddies toys and eat barbequed rats...

tesral
07-22-2008, 10:33 PM
my favorite race, though, would be kobold. nice lawful neutral kobolds who give kiddies toys and eat barbequed rats...

Not give rats toys and eat barbequed kiddies?

agoraderek
07-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Not give rats toys and eat barbequed kiddies?

NEVER! when the paladin is looking...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
I like Pie... ;)

To quote one of my old AD&D Characters(aHalfling Fighter);

"I Ain't HALF of nuthin'!"
Ummm, it's blood pie in WRFP! Just dont get stingy and buy the cheap stuff or you just may die of dysentery.

Thoth-Amon

shilar
07-23-2008, 03:15 AM
My favorites are elves and halflings. I can identify with both easily. Having ADHD helps me with both. Always being an outsider and sneak helps me play the flighty halfling. Plus I love a good down home party full of food and drink something I always felt a halfling should enjoy. Learning to deal with my ADHD has taught me elf-like patience. I am an incredible believer in personal freedom coupled with a duty to the community :usa2: exemplifying the CG alignment.
Some people roleplay their opposite I like to explore exaggerations of aspects of myself instead.

tesral
07-23-2008, 06:27 AM
I have always felt that hallflings (Hobbits) Gnomes and Dwarves come up a little short in the character department.

fmitchell
07-23-2008, 08:11 AM
While I believe that the whole notion of "races" (species!) in FRPGs is overrated, I won't deny that they can spark a character concept. Two recent examples:

When reading a summary of Midnight, I was drawn to the idea that all halflings (and elf-halfling hybrids called elflings) were born as slaves, and died as slaves. (Why make such puny creatures slaves? Probably because it's EVIL!) So I created an elfling whose masters cared so little for him that he had a number instead of a name; the conflict between his noble lineage and his daily degradation made him cold, hard, bitter. Some thought him an idiot because he seldom spoke, but he was simply waiting ...

In Gary McBride's "Lord of Dunharrow" (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6589) campaign, he threw out the idea that one child of Eldarion and Leandra could be a tiefling due to Leandra's ties to infernal powers. In a similar flash of inspiration, I created an eldest daughter, who by the laws of equal-opportunity primogeniture should have been Duchess, but who yielded to her younger brother; a woman leader was less than ideal, but a Duchess with a fiend's shape would have been a disaster. Indeed, her whole life she had hidden her true nature from superstitious natures under veils, hoods, hats, and skirts. In what seems to be a recurring theme, her mother's strictures, intended to keep her safe and to "tame" the infernal taint within her, had instead made her an angry, distrustful, and increasingly rebellious teenager who ran away from home at fourteen after months of almost continuous arguments. As a runaway, her life only got worse; not only did she have to hide her heritage again, she tended to make bad choices and ended up in one awful situation after another. Yet she persevered, if only because she feared that her family would never accept her back, and in fact found her absence a blessing. The young woman who finally showed up again at her father's funeral bore scars on her body and in her soul; she was not that much wiser, a little calmer, but still angry.

(Sorry for the length, I'm just really into this new campaign.)

Webhead
07-23-2008, 09:27 AM
I have always felt that hallflings (Hobbits) Gnomes and Dwarves come up a little short in the character department.

:drum:

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Haha.

nijineko
07-23-2008, 10:20 PM
hey! what if my brother is one! this would be a very offensive thread....

;D of course, he's only my half brother.... :drum:

starfalconkd
07-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Half elf or kobold. Playing a kobold is always a laugh.

mrken
07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
While I believe that the whole notion of "races" (species!) in FRPGs is overrated, I won't deny that they can spark a character concept. Two recent examples:

When reading a summary of Midnight, I was drawn to the idea that all halflings (and elf-halfling hybrids called elflings) were born as slaves, and died as slaves. (Why make such puny creatures slaves? Probably because it's EVIL!) So I created an elfling whose masters cared so little for him that he had a number instead of a name; the conflict between his noble lineage and his daily degradation made him cold, hard, bitter. Some thought him an idiot because he seldom spoke, but he was simply waiting ...

In Gary McBride's "Lord of Dunharrow" (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6589) campaign, he threw out the idea that one child of Eldarion and Leandra could be a tiefling due to Leandra's ties to infernal powers. In a similar flash of inspiration, I created an eldest daughter, who by the laws of equal-opportunity primogeniture should have been Duchess, but who yielded to her younger brother; a woman leader was less than ideal, but a Duchess with a fiend's shape would have been a disaster. Indeed, her whole life she had hidden her true nature from superstitious natures under veils, hoods, hats, and skirts. In what seems to be a recurring theme, her mother's strictures, intended to keep her safe and to "tame" the infernal taint within her, had instead made her an angry, distrustful, and increasingly rebellious teenager who ran away from home at fourteen after months of almost continuous arguments. As a runaway, her life only got worse; not only did she have to hide her heritage again, she tended to make bad choices and ended up in one awful situation after another. Yet she persevered, if only because she feared that her family would never accept her back, and in fact found her absence a blessing. The young woman who finally showed up again at her father's funeral bore scars on her body and in her soul; she was not that much wiser, a little calmer, but still angry.

(Sorry for the length, I'm just really into this new campaign.)

Wow, I can kind of relate and understand the character concept. Kind of a pathetic character and would be kind of hard to reconcile with a group, but in light of how so many groups are this could be a very good character to play. Would like to play her sometimes, but I no longer play. :noidea:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Probably doesnt apply here, or maybe it does... playng a party of below average characters all rolled up from 3d6. All races like before but extremely low stats, give some special backgrounds and play awway. Lots of fun and a bit challenging.

The only thing better than playing unusual races is playing unusual races with low stats.

Thoth-Amon

fmitchell
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
(Regarding Oriana, the Tiefling Warlord who ran away as a teenager.)

Wow, I can kind of relate and understand the character concept. Kind of a pathetic character and would be kind of hard to reconcile with a group, but in light of how so many groups are this could be a very good character to play.

A few character points that emerged in the first session:

Oriana is so very over the self-pity stage. She's reconciled herself to always being in the shadows, with (so she thinks) no real chance of having anything like a normal life. Her purpose, then, is to help *other* people succeed, and steer them away from the many, many mistakes she's made. (Actually, the Warlord class plays into that: mechanically, its focus is to enhance other characters, and direct their attacks for extra effect.)

She's a little awed at how her family has accepted her back. As a result, she's utterly committed to becoming everyone's "big sister" again, only more reliable this time.

The guy playing the new Duke, her younger brother, did a hell of a job acting the part. I was floored, and as a result Oriana herself is loyal unto death. She would literally take an arrow for him.

During play, she became the Lord (Lady?) Bailiff of the Duchy, in charge of the hired men at arms. Effectively, she's chief of police and commander of the national guard, all at once. That by itself gives her a larger place in the duchy.

Oriana is far from a shrinking violet. Despite her tendency towards thick veils, concealing cloaks, and big hats, she's brash, sarcastic, and generally confrontational. She's always primed to attack, verbally or physically; it's clear that anything requiring Diplomacy needs the Duke's personal attention.

P.S. If you were referring to Seventeen, the slave halfling, he had a similar philosophy: no angst, no drama, just a clear conviction that the slave masters had to die, preferrably by his shovel.

michaeljearley
07-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Nice, now thats the kind of Roleplaying i've been missing.

Aidan
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Favorite races: humans and half-elves, sometimes elves, and I had a half-ogre character who was really fun.

I am looking forward to being able to play a Dragonborn in 4e.

Least Favorite: Half-orc, halfling, gnome.

Dimthar
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, my favorite is Human, since everybody else insist in playing Non-humans. Intersting but the leaders of our parties (including myself one time) always have been the Humans.

fmitchell
07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, my favorite is Human, since everybody else insist in playing Non-humans. Intersting but the leaders of our parties (including myself one time) always have been the Humans.

The problem with playing non-humans is that it's so easy to be stereotyped. "Oh a halfling, so he's a cheerful rogue." "Oh, a dwarf, so he's a gruff warrior or priest who lives underground." In a science fiction game this becomes a Planet of Hats (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats), which logically can't work because in a functional society everybody can't be a warrior, thief, wizard, mad scientist, sane scientist, or whatever. Somebody has to build houses, bake bread, grow or gather food, make basic tools, and sew clothes, unless your "race" is utterly dependent upon slaves, lives entirely within a host culture, or has a peculiar biology that removes the need for food, clothing, tools, and shelter.

With a human character, especially if you have a clear idea of his culture, climate, religion, etc, it's easy to achieve the same roleplaying and mechanical effects without that level of stereotyping. You're then free to create a personality based on several factors. Notable games in this area include:

RuneQuest's cultural categories (Primitive, Nomad, Barbarian, Civilized, etc.), starting occupations, and cults or religions, all specified at the start of the campaign.

HeroQuest reifies Homeland, Occupation, and Magic (or Religion in other worlds) into "keywords" which determine defaults for any related abilities not otherwise specified.

Traits from Iron Heroes, including background traits like Desertborn, physical traits like Short, and mental traits like Child of Faith (or whatever the name is ... you're religious, and fighting for your religion gives you a morale boost).

Professions, archetypes, and templates from games like All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Call of Cthulhu, Deadlands, and others that assume a world composed (almost) entirely of humans.

Honorable mention to new World of Darkness games, which let a character pick both a Clan/Auspice/Path/Lineage/Seeming and a Covenant/Tribe/Order/Refinement/Court, which at least give 25 (or 24) options instead of seven or eight.

tesral
07-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Planet of Hats is to be avoided. I like playing against stereotype. How about a sensitive and caring Warlock?

Where do they come from? What most people see of the race or hear of the race. Obviously it cannot be a race of all one things. However when nine of the ten Dwarves that have been through town in the last 20 years are gruff warriors, you can see where the stereotype might get a start. Builders, brewers, tailors, weavers, these people don't leave home to be seen in a Human village 200 miles away. The stereotype is wrong, but it has good reason for existing.

Last Dwarf played in my game was a swashbuckling romantic, complete with a plume in his hat.

fmitchell
07-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Last Dwarf played in my game was a swashbuckling romantic, complete with a plume in his hat.

Casanunda has a certain humor value, but something diametrically opposed to the "stereotype" is as bad as the stereotype itself. Seventeen was the product of halfling enslavement, but he was too bright and too cold to follow the stereotypes of either halfling or slave. Oriana's obligatory "dark side" comes not from her infernal heritage, but everyone's *reaction* to her infernal heritage (including her own mother's); she hates black and dark colors, deeply distrusts magic, and despite suffering -- no, surviving -- humankind's ignorance and cruelty still cares more about "fellow" humans than sometimes they care about each other.

If you're going to twist a stereotype, dive right in and find the human angle. For example, the title character in Erik the Viking got to know one of the villagers he was looting, pillaging, and potentially raping, only to kill her accidentally ... what did that do to his proud warrior ethic? Imagine the (half-)orc raised by human monks, coping not only with the prejudice of humans outside the monastery but with whatever genetic quirk that makes orcs prone to violence. Or imagine an elf, reading human legends and contrasting their short but eventful lives with the dull "perfection" of his own society. Or take the vampire-with-a-soul, the Illithid "adversary", or any other monster who remembers his humanity and hates what he has become; what do you do when your existence requires unspeakable acts against innocents?

Valdar
07-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm usually guilty of being one of those anything-but-human players. Recent memory:

Gnome Fighter (Cam Flintwicket), acted like a comic book geek with ADD, which admittedly was not a big stretch for me.

Elf Wizard (Sebastien), ran a clinic specializing in fertility/infertility alchemy before becoming an adventurer. Acted pervy, smarmy, and effette, which WAS a stretch for me.

Human Fighter (Valdar): Long on brawn, bravado, and bragging, short on brain. Wanted to be a Paladin because they "kick ***". Originally a parody of typical fighters in the SCA. Would actually introduce himself as "Valdar the Awesome". Talked like Thundarr the Barbarian.

Aidan
07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Talked like Thundarr the Barbarian.
Demon dog! Ookla, Ariel, we ride!

Valdar
07-25-2008, 02:41 AM

Yes! There was an episode where Thundarr saw skyscrapers, and not knowing about elevators, said something like:

"They lived here? They must have had wings!"

This was the basis of Valdar's continual leaps of lateral thinking. The format was:

"<Simplistic observation>? They must have had <plural noun>!"

I can't post examples here, because most of them were quite dirty as I recall...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2008, 03:00 AM
Thundarr the Barbarian had some unforgettably cool wizards. The wizards were my favorite part of the show. It was for this reason more than any other, why i got so creative with wizards of all the races.

Thoth-Amon

tesral
07-25-2008, 09:06 AM

It's that Barbarian lifestyle, he couldn't afford articles and prepositions.

fmitchell
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
It's that Barbarian lifestyle, he couldn't afford articles and prepositions.

A budget-conscious barbarian also shuns pronouns and verb conjugation. "Krunk think Jane like Krunk, and Krunk know Krunk like Jane. Maybe Jane and Krunk make ug-ug later. Krunk bring beer."

nijineko
07-27-2008, 09:48 PM
i have frequently played humans... but i must admit it's more often for the bonus feat than not! *^^* sometimes, i design characters around a concept, other times the concepts get designed around the character.

despite that, i usually manage to have a good deal of background ideas for fun and profit by the time the sheet hits the table.

Tamerath
08-08-2008, 02:54 AM
I gotta say....elves of all variety over the years. My current new (old) is the eladrin in 4th edition with their 5 square teleport encounter power. Got me out of near-death encounters.

Mead
08-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Don't really have a favorite. I'll play anything my muse plops onto my head. She rarely craps elves though.

Webhead
08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Don't really have a favorite. I'll play anything my muse plops onto my head. She rarely craps elves though.

Really thinking about it, I realize that I've only ever played one elf character. It's not that I don't like elves, but they generally seem to be the most common race choice next to human, and I've never been in a party to my recollection that didn't already have at least one or two other elves. Seems unncessarily redundant for me to play one when there's already some in the party.

nijineko
08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Really thinking about it, I realize that I've only ever played one elf character. It's not that I don't like elves, but they generally seem to be the most common race choice next to human, and I've never been in a party to my recollection that didn't already have at least one or two other elves. Seems unncessarily redundant for me to play one when there's already some in the party.

that's when you play a grey elf or a leshay and out-elf the other elves! ;)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Two 4.0 games beginning within a month and I'll be playing an Eladrin Wizard and probably a Halfling something-or-another. Both ideas seem great on paper plus this will be the 1st Efl I've played in years... that i can even remember.

Mead
08-09-2008, 08:23 AM

In fact, I think the only full elf I've ever played was modeled on an Elfquest elf, and not the standard format.

Hell, I've played monsters more than elves.

I think it's the long-held consensus among my old college crew that elves == cheesewaffles that really kept me from playing them. We had one guy, Brett, who always played elves as cheese fountains, Gatling Rangers and the like.

Only played a gnome twice, (once at an RPGA event, once during our 3.0 shakedown cruise), but that's mainly cos I never could get my head wrapped around gnomish character and motivation and such.

The RPGA event was an all-gnome thing, "Minor Magic", at DragonCon in 1991... we played heavy to the stereotypes and subsequently never even made it out of the starting tavern. Had a blast, but it felt more like Evening at the Improv than a team of gnomes.

nijineko
08-09-2008, 03:08 PM
i've played elves a bit over the years. some nice concepts have come out of those games.

Webhead
08-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Only played a gnome twice, (once at an RPGA event, once during our 3.0 shakedown cruise), but that's mainly cos I never could get my head wrapped around gnomish character and motivation and such.

The RPGA event was an all-gnome thing, "Minor Magic", at DragonCon in 1991... we played heavy to the stereotypes and subsequently never even made it out of the starting tavern. Had a blast, but it felt more like Evening at the Improv than a team of gnomes.

I never much cared for gnomes pre-3e as I just couldn't convince myself that they had much to offer as a player race. Somehow, 3e made gnomes cool and they became my favorite PC race of that edition. I've only played two gnome characters though. One was mage/warrior, Cev and the other was a mage that ended up inspiring (and was thus ditched for) Cev.

Really, I think I've played more humans than anything.

ronpyatt
08-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Half-Orc (magic wielding, of course). The best race in all the fantasy worlds to play. However, the dragonborn is now my 2nd favorite.

Chi
08-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Okay I am a little out there but I like playing as a halfling because they are cute and little dont get me wrong I love fighting and role playing, but I am a girl and halflings are small and kinda feminine.

Dragon2605
08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't have a particular favorite. I do tend to stick to the core races because the GM typically prefers to keep it that way. I pick the race based on campaign and/or what I feel like playing.

Zeneak
08-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Well the majority of my play has been elven in design, But i must say the most odd race i have played was a Lizard Folk. has a level adjuster of +1 in the monster manual so it isn't usually too much to ask for, and the role play you get out of playing what most believe to be a savage can be very interesting.

Webhead
08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
From the very cool 2e book Complete Book of Humanoids, I once played (as one of my very few explorations into playing female characters) a Swanmay and they were very fun. I only wish there were male Swanmay so I wouldn't feel so awkward playing one... :ohwell:

Mead
08-13-2008, 04:38 PM
From the very cool 2e book Complete Book of Humanoids, I once played (as one of my very few explorations into playing female characters) a Swanmay and they were very fun. I only wish there were male Swanmay so I wouldn't feel so awkward playing one... :ohwell:

I got to sample that one too.. had a gnoll (that I painted a whole dang mini for) that got fiat-killed and reincarnated to human after a mere handful of sessions. Such a waste.

The only female I played was at a DragonCon RPGA event, and it was such an embarrassingly stereotyped character I couldn't get into it. Just couldn't bring myself to fawn and swoon like the writeup required.

Webhead
08-13-2008, 08:46 PM
I got to sample that one too.. had a gnoll (that I painted a whole dang mini for) that got fiat-killed and reincarnated to human after a mere handful of sessions. Such a waste.

The only female I played was at a DragonCon RPGA event, and it was such an embarrassingly stereotyped character I couldn't get into it. Just couldn't bring myself to fawn and swoon like the writeup required.

What gets really bad is when you have another player in the group playing a female character who constantly hits on your PC.

And what's even worse than that is when the DM tells you that you have to make a Wisdom check to avoid being seduced by his character... :rolleyes:

Yeah...I failed that roll... :mad: I still wouldn't play along though...

Valdar
08-14-2008, 11:15 AM
What gets really bad is when you have another player in the group playing a female character who constantly hits on your PC.

And what's even worse than that is when the DM tells you that you have to make a Wisdom check to avoid being seduced by his character... :rolleyes:

Yeah...I failed that roll... :mad: I still wouldn't play along though...

The DM assumed all women are bi? Sounds like he needs to get out more.

tesral
08-14-2008, 11:28 AM

See some real females, stuff like that.

Hard learned lesson, keep the interpersonal stuff under the player's oogy factor. You can drive someone off that way and the least disengage them from the game.

I've done NPC to PC "romance" stuff. We keep it PC rated because that is where my players what it kept. Light R at most.

Webhead
08-14-2008, 12:17 PM

Sorry, perhaps I should have clarified. His character was female and my character was male. His character was constantly hitting on mine (because we were the elves of the party) and the DM eventually made me roll to resist his seductions...blech...

I've got no problem with PC-to-NPC romance and even (very cautiously) PC-to-PC romance...but that's the kind of stuff that should be pure role play and the "details" primarily relegated to "off-screen" time.

Kalanth
08-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I have prefered to play Warforged ever since Eberron came about. I adore that race but really can't explain why as there is nothing out there that really draws me to them short of the nature of their story.

Tamerath
08-14-2008, 09:43 PM
His character was female and my character was male. His character was constantly hitting on mine (because we were the elves of the party) and the DM eventually made me roll to resist his seductions...blech...

Webhead...you should have told him you are an elf and you are resistant to Sleep and Charm effects ;)

nijineko
08-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Webhead...you should have told him you are an elf and you are resistant to Sleep and Charm effects ;)

hahahah! nice one.

but seriously, i stomp all over people who try to force seduction rolls.

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-22-2008, 09:33 PM
the only thing i have had a chance of playing is half-elves. but i don't know if i would play anything else

drewshi
08-23-2008, 04:18 AM
I think it all depends on the mood I'm in. But when it comes to having a soft spot, I have to admit I like gnomes.

Ben Rostoker
08-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I REALLY wanta play a Kuo-Toa or Half-Kuo-Toa.

They are just so cool!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-24-2008, 12:01 AM

They are just so cool!
Now that's an idea, Ben Rostoker. I've played monsters before but playing Kua Toa never crossed my mind.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-24-2008, 12:03 AM
I think it all depends on the mood I'm in. But when it comes to having a soft spot, I have to admit I like gnomes.
I'm in the same camp, drewshi. Gnomes are my favorite races to play, especially the older edition illusionist/thief class.

Thoth-Amon

drewshi
08-24-2008, 06:36 AM
I'm in the same camp, drewshi. Gnomes are my favorite races to play, especially the older edition illusionist/thief class.

Thoth-Amon

I usually went for the slightly befuddled Gnome illusionist. I once had a character named Horace who got powerful enough that the DM allowed me to design a staff that gave him boosted powers and a second saving throw on any magical attack I failed myself.

Sadly, Horace met his end when he failed two saving throws from a Fireball thrown at him by a rival magic-user.

Bastard.

RIP Horace.

(You know, I could have the characters go on a quest for the Staff of Horace.) :cool:

amardolem
08-24-2008, 08:44 AM

They are just so cool!

I was going to play a half kuo toa ranger in my online game, but the DM want's strictly OGL and Kuo Toa are strictly WOTC property. I was quite let down as I had been thinking about that for a while and there's alot of story meat there. (Deep Ones)

that's the little guy down below my post

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-24-2008, 12:30 PM
I usually went for the slightly befuddled Gnome illusionist. I once had a character named Horace who got powerful enough that the DM allowed me to design a staff that gave him boosted powers and a second saving throw on any magical attack I failed myself.

Sadly, Horace met his end when he failed two saving throws from a Fireball thrown at him by a rival magic-user.

Bastard.

RIP Horace.

(You know, I could have the characters go on a quest for the Staff of Horace.) :cool:
Mine was in gnome party doing some surveillance in the Underdark. It seems that trading parties were disappearing and it was a mystery what was going on. My gnome party went to investigate, long story made real short, we were attacked by a band of Drow and my guy was killed by their Magic User in the ambush. Pretty cool adventure and really thought out(I spent alot of time on it). Too bad my guy had to die, and a horrible death dead it was. This was about 15% into the module.

I wrote up this module years ago, and my group of players really wanted to play it. This was about 20 years ago, actually, when i lived in Virginia. I was hesitant to DM with my favorite character but did so reluctantly. Needless to say, he got no special dispensation.

Thoth-Amon

Ben Rostoker
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I was going to play a half kuo toa ranger in my online game, but the DM want's strictly OGL and Kuo Toa are strictly WOTC property. I was quite let down as I had been thinking about that for a while and there's alot of story meat there. (Deep Ones)

that's the little guy down below my post

I just have no idea why a Dwarf would want to have children with a Kuo-Toa. lol

Well if you find a DM online who will let us we can make a Half Kuo-Toa party and break some historic ground. ;p

nijineko
08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
i want to play a beholder mage. now if i can just convince someone to work with me on making the beholder more reasonable in play. =D +20ecl is a bit much to swallow. especially as any other 20th would squish a beholder without breaking a sweat.

MuslixtheMighty
08-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Lets hear it for the Dwarves!

tesral
08-29-2008, 01:45 AM
i want to play a beholder mage. now if i can just convince someone to work with me on making the beholder more reasonable in play. =D +20ecl is a bit much to swallow. especially as any other 20th would squish a beholder without breaking a sweat.

Well according to an old Spelljammer source I don't have handy a Beholder has to put out it's big anti-magic eye to become a mage. Makes sense really.

I would stick you with an ECL that would make players two states over whimper. You still have eight permanent at will spell like effects, one of which is disintegrate and another is stoning.

I wouldn't say no out of the gate, but I would be looking at no pretty hard.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Wimpify him to a small eye and allow him to add powers and grow larger as his powers grow... level up. I'd have to look at the race to give some specific suggestions but i see no problem for a clever GM to deal with. Let us know how things go.

Thoth-Amon

theorcrist
08-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Humans with a lot of dramatic background (usually some sort of social glass cieling that they struggle against and resent!). Quick witted (high CHA) and usually the leader or at least the spokesman.

Blake.

DMMike
09-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I think a beholder would make a pretty weak mage considering one important factor: no hands. Which means no spells with somatic components. Come to think of it, no pockets! So forget spells requiring material components as well. So I hope you like Power Word Kill.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Of course you could get around this hands issue with eyestalks, and a Sorcerer class(no need for material components). All depends on your GM. It's your campaign and nothing ever has to be set in stone. What are rules w/o exceptions, after all?

Thoth-Amon

raven21
09-02-2008, 05:16 PM
My favorite is either Elf or Dwarf because they are so far removed from Humans and should never be played like a human.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
My favorite is either Elf or Dwarf because they are so far removed from Humans and should never be played like a human.
Powerful sentence, raven21. I couldnt agree more.

I am a human so why would i want to play one? Getting into fantasy only gets better(for me, anyway), when the character one plays is a fantastical creature/being... so give me a Dwarf, Elf(dark--my preference), halfling, gnome, etc.

Thoth-Amon

Chi
09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Powerful sentence, raven21. I couldnt agree more.

I am a human so why would i want to play one? Getting into fantasy only gets better(for me, anyway), when the character one plays is a fantastical creature/being... so give me a Dwarf, Elf(dark--my preference), halfling, gnome, etc.

Thoth-Amon
I thought that I was the only one that thought that because I am a human why would I want to play one. It is much more fun to get into the head of a different race.

kirksmithicus
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
I thought that I was the only one that thought that because I am a human why would I want to play one. It is much more fun to get into the head of a different race.

In my experience almost no one wants to play a human character in an fantasy RPG. I have heard that D&D 3.x gives humans a greater advantage than other races (which is usually not the case with most games) and that is why they were a more popular choice in that edition.

*sharpens poking stick* :boink:

As for me the only thing worse than the new age, mystical Elven I-live-in-harmony-with-nature-and-all-living-things noble savage BS . Are the overweight, low IQ, pipe smoking, gypsy midgets. Seriously It would be like sword fighting with a 10 year old, spastic, overweight, out of shape, chain smoking, asthmatic, diabetic, kleptomaniac, with a hangover. :rolleyes:

And now they have, Uber-elves, Half-dragons and Half-demons as characters. *stabs self in head repeatedly with his own sharp poking stick*

What next?

Chi
09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Ya I don't know but my fiance has always been the DM and now he has the chance to play and he is between a dragonborn and a human.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
In my experience almost no one wants to play a human character in an fantasy RPG. I have heard that D&D 3.x gives humans a greater advantage than other races (which is usually not the case with most games) and that is why they were a more popular choice in that edition.

*sharpens poking stick* :boink:

As for me the only thing worse than the new age, mystical Elven I-live-in-harmony-with-nature-and-all-living-things noble savage BS . Are the overweight, low IQ, pipe smoking, gypsy midgets. Seriously It would be like sword fighting with a 10 year old, spastic, overweight, out of shape, chain smoking, asthmatic, diabetic, kleptomaniac, with a hangover. :rolleyes:

And now they have, Uber-elves, Half-dragons and Half-demons as characters. *stabs self in head repeatedly with his own sharp poking stick*

What next?
Those little guys just make the game more challenging, and fun.

Thoth-Amon

tesral
09-04-2008, 02:52 PM

The most dangerous kind. That pipe is really a wand of disintegration.

I believe it was Robert Heinlein that said. "Never frighten a little man, he'll kill you."

DMMike
09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Are the overweight, low IQ, pipe smoking, gypsy midgets. Seriously It would be like sword fighting with a 10 year old, spastic, overweight, out of shape, chain smoking, asthmatic, diabetic, kleptomaniac, with a hangover. :rolleyes:

Wow. That, actually, sounds like a fun race to play! I'll take two.

I recently decided that goblins and hobgoblins (and bugbears, actually) are no longer monsters, but another race of demi-human. So I'm looking forward to running some of those in my campaign, and seeing what the reactions are to intelligent, non-evil, but different-looking foreigners (who have some cruel stories told about them).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow. That, actually, sounds like a fun race to play! I'll take two.

I recently decided that goblins and hobgoblins (and bugbears, actually) are no longer monsters, but another race of demi-human. So I'm looking forward to running some of those in my campaign, and seeing what the reactions are to intelligent, non-evil, but different-looking foreigners (who have some cruel stories told about them).
I've played goblins and orcs but never hobgoblins and bugbears. You'll have to share with us your experiences.

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
09-05-2008, 09:21 AM
In my experience almost no one wants to play a human character in an fantasy RPG...

I used to frequently play human characters back in 2e when it was a considered a handicap...but I think we've already established that I'm a little kooky. :der:

cplmac
09-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I used to frequently play human characters back in 2e when it was a considered a handicap...but I think we've already established that I'm a little kooky. :der:

We're not kooky, just unique.

Webhead
09-05-2008, 09:36 AM
We're not kooky, just unique.

Actually, I prefer the term "eccentric". It sounds distinguished. ;)

nijineko
09-05-2008, 10:04 PM
and it sounds better off financially.

DMMike
09-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I've played goblins and orcs but never hobgoblins and bugbears. You'll have to share with us your experiences.

I can already proffer that it'll be like playing a racial minority, depending on whose land you're in (!?). Heck, they might even get wiped out by disease, if the campaign goes that long. (Thank goodness for divine intervention...)

raven21
09-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I can already proffer that it'll be like playing a racial minority, depending on whose land you're in (!?). Heck, they might even get wiped out by disease, if the campaign goes that long. (Thank goodness for divine intervention...)

Or chased and killed by villagers with tourches and pitchforks

HolyDiver
09-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I've usually played as a human, I think I am good at acting like a human because well, I am one.

I also usually end up getting killed and reincarnated as something else. I had a sorcerer who was reincarnated as a talking lemur once, that was fun to play as, since the sorcerer was worried about getting his fur singed in the fireballs he loved flinging.

tesral
09-07-2008, 11:58 PM
I've usually played as a human, I think I am good at acting like a human because well, I am one.

I also usually end up getting killed and reincarnated as something else. I had a sorcerer who was reincarnated as a talking lemur once, that was fun to play as, since the sorcerer was worried about getting his fur singed in the fireballs he loved flinging.

He like to move it move it.

nijineko
09-08-2008, 05:58 PM

tesral
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM

You like Invisible Stalkers?

Webhead
09-09-2008, 10:06 AM
You like Invisible Stalkers?

If I had to guess, I'd say he likes Sand Elementals.

Vulture
09-09-2008, 10:22 AM
i prefer Half-orcs, failing that i like drow, and i if i cant play that i'll play a halfling

Webhead
09-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I think Half-orc is the only "core" 3e race that I haven't played at least once. I made a Half-orc Psion at one point but never used him. Every other "core" race I've played at least once across various editions, but Half-orc is the exception. Not sure why. Perhaps it's the -2 Int and Cha that get me.

Perhaps for a similar reason, I really have a hard time choosing Wookiee as a PC species in Star Wars d20. I like Wookiees. They're easy to choose as a PC in D6 if that's the way you want to swing. d20 is somehow different. Too many negative modifiers I think, even if their advantages are significant.

DeathByDM
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
My favorite character in 3rd edition was definitely the gnome illusionist. Crazy little bugger that one.

I despise playing elves and half-elves and any other elfy race. I never enjoyed halflings like many of my fellow players. I played one half-orc barbarian and had a pretty good time, but as a whole I don't like the race.

Dwarves and humans are ok.

I think my favorite PHB race in 4e is the dragonborn. Nothing beats a breath weapon as a minor action at level 1. I also really like the Bugbear, doppleganger, and gnoll.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
My favorite character in 3rd edition was definitely the gnome illusionist. Crazy little bugger that one.

I despise playing elves and half-elves and any other elfy race. I never enjoyed halflings like many of my fellow players. I played one half-orc barbarian and had a pretty good time, but as a whole I don't like the race.

Dwarves and humans are ok.

I think my favorite PHB race in 4e is the dragonborn. Nothing beats a breath weapon as a minor action at level 1. I also really like the Bugbear, doppleganger, and gnoll.
Cant go wrong with the Gnome Illusionist. Arguable my favorite race/class combination of all time. Now, if only 4E will give the class some respect; otherwise, i will just have to house-rule a couple of things... again. I even love them in WFRP. Yep, I'm a big fan.

Thoth-Amon

Holocron
09-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't know if I have a favorite race to play.. I've only ever actually played a few fantasy characters, 2 were humans and one was a dark elf. The discussion seems D&D centric, but I never really got any farther than the mid way through the first adventure, so my only real experiance is with GURPS Fantasy, which is pretty significant.

As a GM however, I've made tons of NPC characters of varying races, that the players have had adventures with. The one that was clearly by far the most popular was the dark elf saint. Pretty much all the players instantly fell in love with her :lol:

nijineko
09-20-2008, 11:52 PM
well... since my favorite class is beholder mage... then i guess i would have to at least like beholders so that i can play one.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Truth be told, i always wanted to play a Beholder in an Underdark party. One day, perhaps.

Mindbomb
09-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Illusionist Gnome, Sverneblin(sp?) preferably.(begin 4e bash) just 2 more reasons...

Grumpy Old Man
09-24-2008, 08:39 PM
I have no races I mind playing but prefer Halfling and Human. There are no classes I won't play if one is needed but again I have my favorites rooted in a lot of games of Fighter, Rogue or Ranger. I'll multi-class once in awhile but mostly I play core characters. I like to let the rolls fall where they may and make the best of them and I just feel I have more flexibility with these than other characters.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Illusionist Gnome, Sverneblin(sp?) preferably.(begin 4e bash) just 2 more reasons...
Nothing wrong with Gnome Illusionists. I'm old-school and will always love them.

Foki Firefinger
09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I usually enjoy playing a human or half elf with the classes of either magic-user thier or fighter thief. I also enjoy a challenge and will play any character that the Game Master suggests or needs to balance the game. But I ususually tell the Game master if he or she really wants me to play that kind of character, because I will play it as well as I can. Warning Game Master- dont ask me to be Evil, unless you really want that!

Zig
12-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Humans best choice because my DM did it right and made all the other races appear strange and unuasual (always suspect) in human cities where 90% of the roleplaying took place (there wernt demi-humans running around all over the place, if a city had a handfull it would be considered a large ammount) and roleplaying anything else was tiresome, also humans are human sized... anything but a half-ork is a midget (least in 3e)

Half-ork 2nd choice, who dosent love big mean angry and tough. had one character who was a half ork with 36 brothers and sisters (they give birth in litters) and like 200 neices and nephues the family started its own theives guild and planned on breeding till they could take over the city.

Halfling- only fun as dirty cut throats, never liked the "stout" halflings. played one as a "protector" (old dragon mag class) was fun but the role playing of em gets old quick

elves- fruity and weak, never masculine, cant stand em. on the few occasions I have played em its been either drow or as city elves with lots of scars and self hating.

Dwarves- drunk midget biker overly concerned with facial hair never made sense to me, generally more annoying than cool.

Gnomes- stick em back in the garden where they belong. never understood the appeal of jolly infant sized characters with pointy hats talking to hamsters.

of the weird races had fun with ogres (ran one that was LG paul bunyon rural hero that was fun) Minatuar (magic user, lasted entirely one encounter but was a neat idea) Kobold "new monk" with a girdle of giant strength that totally kicked ass. the highest level LE monk I ever played. nothing is cooler than a Kobold running at 36" and spinning around like a tasmanian devil with 6 attacks and stunning/possibly one shot killing things on any to hit role of 15+. shoulda just called him "the anti-yoda"

1958Fury
12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I tend to favor humans, elves, and now eladrin.

Most of my characters have been human. They're the only race that doesn't immediately bring set personality types to the table. Yeah, you *should* be able to play your character however you want, and some of the best characters are the ones that play against type. But humans just seem to have the most potential to be anything.

Of course, I started out playing NeverWinter Nights, on a server that so strict on roleplay types, it was practically racist. Something as simple as a non-alcoholic Dwarf or a Halfling Paladin would probably have made their heads explode.

Webhead
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
...Gnomes- stick em back in the garden where they belong. never understood the appeal of jolly infant sized characters with pointy hats talking to hamsters...

One of the few things I liked about D&D 3e was that they changed gnomes enough to actually make them interesting. Before 3e, they seemed like the stereotypical white-bearded midgets with pointy red hats. 3e made them more appealing to me, to the point that (alongside human) they were my favorite core race for that edition.

By the way, ever try to make Cev (my gnome fighter/wizard) wear a pointy red hat and you've got a cold, steely enema coming your way real quick. :cool:

Life*Angel*
12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
because i have very little experiance playing the game (little meaning i played one time) i suppose i could not really know what is like to be anything really.....

but i prefer a race that will let me sneak in from the back while the party is going head on..... and take out 1 or 2 only to turn tail and run again lol.

i like the assasin stealth race it makes things a little more interesting. (it requires a little more thought than running in head first into a pile of man eating goblins with axes the size of texas). :biggrin:

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Yo yo yo, I be playing that Svirfneblin Wizard up in this club. Throw some rolls in this b****!

When I first started playing, I remember I would only ever play as a human or an elf. I couldn't relate to anyone else i suppose. but since I was always playing as some sort of arcanist / mage, someone suggested I play as a gnome.

Then I heard I could actually have my PC be an Illithid! but I still am trying to work that one out. I do know that illithids would make great spell casters!
of course mine would be a lawful good illithid who is deeply misunderstood and has to battle prejudices as often as enemy combatants

I love the fact that the svirfneblin love science, alchemy, machines, and live in the underdark. And they are adorable.:D

12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
oh, by the way, ever since I heard that there was an Illithid named Methyl, I decided I would name my Illithid PC something like:

Pentose-phosphatase Oxidoreductase

Acyl-Transferase

Three-Hydroxoacyl-CoA-Dehydrogenase

Levo-Xylulose-Reductase

awesome

GoddessGood
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
A buddy of mine has a homebrew fantasy game and had us play a bunch of different races so we'd get a feel for their cultures and such. I enjoyed playing Trolls in his world, but my old standy is Human or any of the half-Human/half-X races. Familiarity, guess.

1958Fury
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Yo yo yo, I be playing that Svirfneblin Wizard up in this club.

I never play a race I can't pronounce. :p

12-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I know, If anything is more patently nerdy than playing DnD, its bandying about names like Svirfneblin on the metro

fmitchell
12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
of course mine would be a lawful good illithid who is deeply misunderstood and has to battle prejudices as often as enemy combatants

Uh huh.

"Oh, such cruel, cruel fate, that I be born an Ilithid with a virtuous heart! Am I not a thinking, feeling being also? Do I not deserve the same inalienable rights as a human or elf or -- excuse me a moment, I have to eat this guy's brain." *slurp* "Where was I? Ah, yes: If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you ..."

Sounds more like a World of Darkness / D&D crossover.

EDIT: Actually, do Ilithids laugh? Some sources imply they're voiceless, and communicate telepathically.

12-15-2008, 03:03 PM
lol
They communicate in a "watery" cthulhu voice. but scarcely, and only to punctuate or when it is important.

but yeah, I did want it to be a sort of tongue-in-cheek character concept.

He's not only good-natured and ostracized, but he is tormented by manic depression, constant self-criticism, and will drink himself unconscious whenever he can. he also finds temporary relief from his depression in the thrill of placing bets! usually on fights. he is deeply empathetic, and can feel his party-members emotions, and cries a lot. :biggrin:

If this illithid was a carebear, he would be storm.

oh, he's also an existential nihilist who has no deity (the illithids originally never did anyway) and he cuts. but only for the attention.

wow, im on a roll here! I just need some stats!

1958Fury
12-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I know, If anything is more patently nerdy than playing DnD, its bandying about names like Svirfneblin on the metro

I have a tendency to call them "Smurfneblin".

tesral
12-15-2008, 03:08 PM
I have a tendency to call them "Smurfneblin".

It makes them feel blue.

GoddessGood
12-15-2008, 04:43 PM
There's a sig character named Chejop Kejak ... supposed to be wise and venerable and all ... but most people on fan forums call him Ketchup Carjack :rolleyes:

Speaking of impossible to pronounce, how about some of the elf names you run across? :lol:

Webhead
12-15-2008, 05:33 PM
There's a sig character named Chejop Kejak ... supposed to be wise and venerable and all ... but most people on fan forums call him Ketchup Carjack :rolleyes:

Speaking of impossible to pronounce, how about some of the elf names you run across? :lol:

Saw a dwarf character for a Tales from the Floating Vagabond campaign named: Krashputnik Kravaschlot. I want to steal that one so bad.

And then there was a Star Wars character named Cobb Nobbler. :confused:

Then there's my devil duck named Anas Platyrhynchos.

12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Saw a dwarf character for a Tales from the Floating Vagabond campaign named: Krashputnik Kravaschlot.

a Polish Dwarf, I guess.

There was a Gray Dwarf Clan in some R.A. Salvatore novel named Clan Butt-Fuggle of Butt-Fukkle or something like that. I need citations of course, but it was something rather overtly racy and striking i can assure you! Something I was astonished the editors hadn't pounced on.

akela122301
12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
elves- fruity and weak, never masculine, cant stand em.

Try telling any elf that to his face, and he and his buddies will skewer you before you finish talking :rip:

Anyway, I like playing elves and half elves. I like playing that back-to-nature type of person.

Life*Angel*
12-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Dwarves- drunk midget biker overly concerned with facial hair never made sense to me, generally more annoying than cool.
"

well with a hot tempar and a strong, firm hand...... i dont doubt you will be eating your words and working his "cornors" someday...

(that was a joke...obviously) i am not to fond of them either..... but you must admit, once those little guys get angry.....size and looks will have nothing to do with it.

Malruhn
12-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Well, I guess I am in the minority...

I like smelly, old humans. No special abilities, no magical add-ons, no nuthin. Just humanity in all it's glory.

Webhead
12-18-2008, 01:12 AM

I like smelly, old humans. No special abilities, no magical add-ons, no nuthin. Just humanity in all it's glory.

95% of the time, I just choose human. It's a difficult race to ignore with its flexibility and simplicity. Human is the standard against which all other races are measured...and rightfully so. :cool:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-18-2008, 01:18 AM

Nothing wrong with that. When i first started playing dnd over 30 years ago, the first race i played was human. In fact, i seem to recall playing human most of the time. Now-a-days, i rarely if ever play human, being that they are my second least favorite race to play. My least favorite being the elf. Drow excluded, of course.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

95% of the time, I just choose human. It's a difficult race to ignore with its flexibility and simplicity. Human is the standard against which all other races are measured...and rightfully so. :cool:
One thing that is great about humans is that they can be and can do anything, be it scum, all the way to the most holy of players. The extreme range of this class allows so many opportunities for roleplayers and GM's alike.

12-18-2008, 03:41 AM
yeah, I only played as a human at first. Or an elf, but elves had all these complicated rules (or so I thought at the time) and abilities and such.

Today, I play as either an Aasimar sorcerer or a gnome or drow wizard.
I remember when I first started playing, I wondered who on earth would want to play as a gnome. But it totally depends on your favorite class. and everyone has a favorite class or cross-class. but as far as personal preference is concerned, does race determine class or does class determine race?

One thing that is great about humans is that they can be and can do anything.

thats exactly what they tell children. they tell them that if they work hard enough they can be anything, and im sure that is or was true for some people. but not everyone can become the president or astronaut.
but as far as abilities and classing is concerned, I think the whole reason why other races are measured against the humans is because Gygax et al. only had the human race as their frame of reference, and made the analogies and comparisons to other races more comprehensible.

Zig
12-18-2008, 05:31 AM
far as I know Gygax didnt invent elves or any of the races, tolken did (mostly based off the ring of the neiberlung story or whatever) and they were completely fleshed out before Gygax had anything to do with em.

I think my prefrence in character's race has to do with me as a person, I dont hang out with or get along with thin wispy guys who go on and on about beauty, and the need to be artistic/poetic etc so generally they annoy me as a player too. I dont care how much fey magic they can throw around, or how good they are at interior decoration, generally I wouldent trust em to cover by back in a bar fight. and in a fantasy game that goes for anything under 5ft in height as well, midgets arnt fighters and warriors, they're clowns and circus performers. guess when it comes to fantasy races I'm a racist.

same thing with class choices, wizzards and elf archers can be damn powerfull but they'll allways seem weak to me because they lack thews and heavy steel. and thats another reason why 4e pissed me off... damn beginning wizzards only have a few less HP than a fighter and could get hit several times by a massive battle axe weilding ork without a hickup. errg.

as to long confusing elf and dwarf names... I dont see why people bother because "nathanderieleanen elladrannannore running-stag-silver-leaf-shadow the sixteenth, of the golden lyre, protector of the sacred elven glade.... (etc) " becomes "nate da elf" within five minutes after the start of any game.

Kalanth
12-18-2008, 10:49 AM
far as I know Gygax didnt invent elves or any of the races, tolken did (mostly based off the ring of the neiberlung story or whatever) and they were completely fleshed out before Gygax had anything to do with em.

I always thought it funny that Gygax would say that he was not inspired by Tolkein but yet most of the races and monsters were present in Tolkein writings well before D&D.

I think my prefrence in character's race has to do with me as a person, I dont hang out with or get along with thin wispy guys who go on and on about beauty, and the need to be artistic/poetic etc so generally they annoy me as a player too. I dont care how much fey magic they can throw around, or how good they are at interior decoration, generally I wouldent trust em to cover by back in a bar fight. and in a fantasy game that goes for anything under 5ft in height as well, midgets arnt fighters and warriors, they're clowns and circus performers. guess when it comes to fantasy races I'm a racist.

Even dwarves? Thats is my second favorite race right behind the Warforged. I look at Flint Fireforge as the quintesential dwarf in all of D&D history and base a large portion of my dwarves on him. Gruff, grumpy, and skilled with an axe in hand. You are right in that I would never trust a gnome or halfling in a fight, especially in 3 / 3.5 with their damaged being reduced. Besdies, to many people play thoses races like underdeveloped children.

same thing with class choices, wizzards and elf archers can be damn powerfull but they'll allways seem weak to me because they lack thews and heavy steel. and thats another reason why 4e pissed me off... damn beginning wizzards only have a few less HP than a fighter and could get hit several times by a massive battle axe weilding ork without a hickup. errg.

It is ok to hold this opinion, but it does not often hold true. I have cut the level 6 wizard in my 4e game down in one stroke more often than not. The swing in hit points becomes more noticable as you go up in level. Gotta admit that when you play a wizard it can be nice to be able to get out of the first 5 levels in one piece compared to the old days (which inspired the song "Always the First to Die").

as to long confusing elf and dwarf names... I dont see why people bother because "nathanderieleanen elladrannannore running-stag-silver-leaf-shadow the sixteenth, of the golden lyre, protector of the sacred elven glade.... (etc) " becomes "nate da elf" within five minutes after the start of any game.

Isn't that a more gnomish tradition that was started by those that would religiously read the Dragonlance novels? I have never named any elf NPC (cause I won't actually play an elf) anything more complicated than Aaer Malestra (current NPC). Maybe I am just on the outside looking in on this particular issue.

Webhead
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
..thats exactly what they tell children. they tell them that if they work hard enough they can be anything, and im sure that is or was true for some people. but not everyone can become the president or astronaut...

Paraphrased from book of the works of Alex Ross:

"There are 2 great fallacies:

1) "If you work hard enough, you can achieve anything you want."

2) "No matter how hard you work, you will never achieve the things you want."

...as to long confusing elf and dwarf names... I dont see why people bother because "nathanderieleanen elladrannannore running-stag-silver-leaf-shadow the sixteenth, of the golden lyre, protector of the sacred elven glade.... (etc) " becomes "nate da elf" within five minutes after the start of any game.

I did play a character (who we got to name) in a stand-up sketch in college whose name was "Juan Philipe Diego Rodriguez Hernando Gonzalez the 3rd". He had to be referred to by his full name or he wouldn't acknowledge the speaker. Yes, it was a comedy sketch.

My gnome character's full name was "Cev Elind Bimtuck Pelgrin", but everyone just knew him as "Cev" (pronounced "Kev"). Gnomes have fun and interesting naming conventions.

12-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Zig,

of course I never meant to imply that Gygax invented those races.

Nor did Tolkien for that matter. Tolkien merely distilled those ideas of mythical races from Baltic-Anglo-Nordo-Celtic Mythologies and spiritual pantheons.

I was trying to say, at 4 in the morning, that gygax helped design the game mechanics that govern/apply to those races in the context of DnD.

And Gnome names are cool. Be careful to construct them from scandanavian cognates of illusion-and-geo-euphemistic words. those sound authentically gnomish.

amardolem
12-18-2008, 04:15 PM
The elves are among my favorite races to play..but I see why people don't ken to them, with that legendary douchebaggery.

Naming conventions are campaign appropriate...ie some people play this game to immerse themselves and use creativity to have 12 surnames some want to roll dice and not be bothered, so take your pick there, and big ups to those who like both ways.

Gygax only publicly denied making the elves in Tolkien's parameters...he did so because he had already asked the Tolkien estate if he could use material for the D&D game, which they denied. But be assured halflings are Hobbits and elves are, well, elves. No one has better distilled the old myths of "elves" (which were actually more like D&D dwarves) than Tolkien. The man was a genius and responsible much of fantasy as we know it.

I want to play a half Kuo Toa ranger dammit!! Think Great Old One spawn with a sticky shield (cause you know Gygax got them straight outta HPL) Hunter of the shadows!!:eek:

Holocron
12-19-2008, 03:51 AM
It seems odd to me that race would determine class or that class could determine race... I suppose certain combinations wouldn't work as well as others as far as game benefit; halfling-berserker, or kobold mage... but in the big picture, I don't see that race/class would limit your options for the other much.

Zig
12-19-2008, 07:37 AM
nerd man, sometimes you make my head hurt. ever see that movie idiocracy? this... "scandanavian cognates of illusion-and-geo-euphemistic" and this "Baltic-Anglo-Nordo-Celtic Mythologies" makes me feel like I belong there.

tesral
12-19-2008, 08:40 AM
It seems odd to me that race would determine class or that class could determine race... I suppose certain combinations wouldn't work as well as others as far as game benefit; halfling-berserker, or kobold mage... but in the big picture, I don't see that race/class would limit your options for the other much.

Nor do I. I don';t tend to limit classes unless their is a clear good reason. I don't let Centaurs be rogues. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Kalanth
12-19-2008, 08:50 AM

That tends to be the min / maxer comming out in people. Looking at it in the race / class fashion is the beginning of optimizing your character for the role he will play.

Course the last few characters I played were anything but. Like a Paladin with a Charisma of 11, or a Warforged Cleric. But that was because I was purposely trying to build a character that was not optimal.

Webhead
12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
It seems odd to me that race would determine class or that class could determine race... I suppose certain combinations wouldn't work as well as others as far as game benefit; halfling-berserker...

...Had one of those in our last group. Actually, "psychotic, sado-masochist halfling" is probably a more appropriate label.

Malruhn
12-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Actually, I've seen Halfling Berzerkers used very well - and it WORKED!!

Back in 2nd Edition, I went through the races and thought long and hard about the racial restrictions - and dumped most of them. What I did in most cases was make the restrictions more of a social stigma...

Think about the the great movie, "Zoolander." In this epic movie, Derek is from a family of coal miners - and he wants to grow up to be a male model - and is shunned for it. I did the same thing for that sturdy, little Dwarf that wanted to be a Wizard. The family disowned him and sent him packing - in MOST cases. There are "appearances" that must be upheld and maintained!!! If you fail, then you are (in most cases) a failure and must be led to The Light (TM), or straightened up - or kicked out like the failure that you are.

Like the rock and roller that goes to the staunchly conservative classical music school (think: Crossroads).

That was one of the big reasons that I had three, 3" binders of house rules... and the reason that I fell in love with 3.5, because it allowed what I did - I just maintained the house rule of making the player justify why the PC wanted to buck tradition the way they were doing... just back-story!

You wanna be a Centaur rogue? You'd better have a damned good back-story! How did you get training, and how will you function around a city? How do you BLEND IN?!?! Are you really sure that you don't want to play a Scout? (and in most cases, they did!!)

12-20-2008, 01:12 AM
nerd man, sometimes you make my head hurt. ever see that movie idiocracy? this... "scandanavian cognates of illusion-and-geo-euphemistic" and this "Baltic-Anglo-Nordo-Celtic Mythologies" makes me feel like I belong there.

I don't really watch T.V. or movies. It sucks because people will talk about television shows and movies and I will have no way of participating in the conversation. Its a real drag on socializing.
I have this habit of combining words like that. Its very teutonic, but drives people crazy when they edit my writing.

I concede that it is totally up to the player to make any character they can possibly imagine or desire, and that having a story for the character that is relevant to the chosen class and race is more important than the class or race themselves. diversity and challenging stereotypes makes people think, and people thinking is good.

But I do have this prejudice about what dwarves should be, or what gnomes should be, or what half-orcs should be. Racism?:confused:

tesral
12-20-2008, 01:30 AM
You wanna be a Centaur rogue? You'd better have a damned good back-story! How did you get training, and how will you function around a city? How do you BLEND IN?!?! Are you really sure that you don't want to play a Scout? (and in most cases, they did!!)

If someone gave me a good song and dance they could have it, but the minuses are a bear. Few of my nos are absolute.

Centaur
Climb Walls: HA!
Detect Noise: +1
Disguise -20**
Find Traps -1
Remove Traps -1
Forgery -1
Hide in Shadows -14
Move Silently -10
Open Locks -1
Prestidigitation -5
Read Languages +1

** unless they are trying to imitate someone of their own race.

So it's possible, barely.

Zig
12-20-2008, 04:04 AM
I think players should be able to play whatever they want as well, but I think a lot of players operate under the assumption that anything they want to play will be accepted by whatever society they attempt to interact with, because they assume you as the DM will warp all of the fears of any group or society in your world for them to have a good time.

That centaur theif would most likely be duped and killed by a real theives guild, or captured and sold to a traveling zoo. a halfling berserker would really REALLY have to prove his metal before any human berserker would consider him a sheild brother of the red, probably wouldent ever happen realistically.

People want to play a lot of weird races etc, they wrongfully assume every culture is as enlightened and egalitarian as the modern society they live in... they think that their character's abilities or their skills would make people respect them regardless of their strange race...

I tell them their perfectly free to play whatever they want, but once I explain to them whats really going to happen once they get into the world they change their minds pretty quickly... nobody would care if the greatest theif in all the lands was a Centaur all the would see is a freak, and thats generally the complete opposite of what they imagined their weird raced character's life would be like.

Another issue would be sexism...

Sexism is something that varies from society to society in the worlds I run, with the poorest and most backward people/races being completely sexist and seeing women as posessions or animals and nothing more.

In some ways I think thats a failing of a lot of games... like in the forgotten realms world anybody can grow up to be anything regardless of race or sex. Truthfully if 95% of a population exists by farming chances are women are seen as baby factories first and foremost, seeing a woman, not riding the horse english style, wearing Zena gear, and acting bad ass would be like watching the UFOs land in a field. a character like that would be scary and threatening to the villagers whole outlook on the world. That character would always be under suspision, rumors would fly, soon sombody would say the word "witch"...

Religion is another issue I dont think gets enough play in most people's games... anybody can worship any god and expect acceptance, again thats not true in 90% of the world today... how would that not be the case in a fantasy world, especially if the gods were real?

am I wrong for running my game that way? am I not being politically correct?

12-20-2008, 01:08 PM
In some ways I think thats a failing of a lot of games... like in the forgotten realms world anybody can grow up to be anything regardless of race or sex. Truthfully if 95% of a population exists by farming chances are women are seen as baby factories first and foremost, seeing a woman, not riding the horse english style, wearing Zena gear, and acting bad ass would be like watching the UFOs land in a field. a character like that would be scary and threatening to the villagers whole outlook on the world. That character would always be under suspision, rumors would fly, soon sombody would say the word "witch"...

Religion is another issue I dont think gets enough play in most people's games... anybody can worship any god and expect acceptance, again thats not true in 90% of the world today... how would that not be the case in a fantasy world, especially if the gods were real?

am I wrong for running my game that way? am I not being politically correct?

Well, we play in the FR to ESCAPE reality, not emulate it.
Even modern d20 is escapist.

Holocron
12-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Hahaha, I forget that D&D has abilities grouped by class... yeah it'd make sense that centaurs would have difficulty imitating non-centaurs, but then again a similar penalty would probably apply to anyone attempting to impersonate anyone of a different race anyway.

Also I agree Zig, culture should take a role in the game, not just for realism but for depth of the story anyway. My friends and I used to use the Banestorm / Yrth setting for Gurps Fantasy, and all the stuff you mentioned took a visible role in the story. The Muslim and Christian countries were constantly at war with each other, and even within religions there were different factions that had different beliefs. Some thought that Magic was ok to learn and use and others thought it wasn't. One particularly powerful militant group, the Hospitallers considered all magic use to be evil (witchcraft), and basically all non-humans were seen as demonic, especially elves, because of their aptitude for magic.

I kind of like characters that challange the norms, my favorite so far was the Dark elf saint. There aren't any strict classes in Gurps, but just the fact of a dark elf travelling with the rest of the players made for a lot of troublesome first impressions :)

fmitchell
12-20-2008, 03:41 PM
I kind of like characters that challange the norms, my favorite so far was the Dark elf saint. There aren't any strict classes in Gurps, but just the fact of a dark elf travelling with the rest of the players made for a lot of troublesome first impressions :)

If I recall, the Dark Elves of Yrth look much like other elves, except that they're elf supremacists. I can see such a character being harassed by members of his own clan, but most non-elves shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

tesral
12-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, we play in the FR to ESCAPE reality, not emulate it.
Even modern d20 is escapist.

It means different things to different people. I don't run an egalitarian world. And Crusade of Conscience will be everything that 1360 was, with a touch of added magic.

hueloovoo
12-21-2008, 02:58 AM
My favorite race to play is ANYTHING. I try to play something new every chance I get, and if there are only 5 options, I try to play the one I've played the least previously.

That being said, I do have a predilection towards conventional beauty, so maybe I've slacked off on dwarf and halfling characters on occasion, and maybe lean towards human characters just a smidgeon.

templeorder
05-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Depends on the setting, but why? Because i like my options. With items and powers i can replicate nearly anything any other race has... and there's usually a bonus to being human. In my own world i play humans or merovin (cursed shape shifter)... because all the other races are freaks! Seriously... human preferred, but i'll play whatever fits the character concept best.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
I usually play whatever fits the character concept and the realm. Currently, I'm playing a human in one campaign and an elf in another.

As a DM, I like playing dwarf's, 1/2 orcs as npcs.

One of the DM's I game with is going to start a western campaign that has 1/2 orcs in it. I'm looking forward to playing a 1/2 orc bounty hunter.

BrotherDog
05-20-2009, 03:48 AM
I play just about race other than humans. Oh, how I hate them, this even includes any lame-o thing that is just a human with racingstripes(Magic of Incarnum ring any bells?). I like to go with a "the weirder the better" approach...

Gnoll Bard - Beastial sining and Hyena laughter.

Kobold Paladin - I just Love this idea.

Lizardfolk Monk - The empathic emotions of a reptile with martial arts.

Goblin Swashbuckler - Imagine a metro flashy goblin always washing his hands and brushing his hair.

Minotaur Ninja or Bard - I like the idea of an opera singing wrestling big guy. Plus the idea of something big lurking in the shadows.

Blinkdog Rogue - Pickpockets and eavesdropping. Who'd suspect a dog?

Awakened Raccoon Wizard - Dress a Barbarian in robes and pretend to be his familiar.

... that kind of thing. Sure many of those have racial levels, but I'm more than happy to play through those.

Rook
05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
For most of my gaming career, I stuck to humans, elves, and half-elves, having played a dwarf only once and avoiding halfings and gnomes like the plague.
Having just started playing again recently, I created a hobgoblin paladin off things, with a detailed history and goal. Dealing with the drawbacks of such a character have made him one of my favorite characters of all time. Don't know if I'll play another hobgoblin as it wouldn't be the same, but have created a gnoll cleric who's very atypical that I look forward to playing.

Oldgamer
05-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I tend to like dwarves the most, I don't know why. But it really depends on the class. If I want a fighter, barbarian, cleric ... I go dwarf, half orc, or human. If I was rogue, I usually go gnome. If I want wizard or sorcerer ... I go elf or human (I like the extra Feat). If I want Ranger, I go elf or half elf, sometimes human. Paladin's are almost always human to me, though I have played an elven paladin at times.

SilentSword
05-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I prefer Elves, because I think they make the best Druids.

kirksmithicus
05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
The one race that I don't like, Halflings. Mostly from years of exposure to a player who played them exclusively, and played them as extremely annoying pain in the butts. So I have avoided them for decades. Recently though I've decided that it might be an interesting race to play, and so I'm going to give it a shot next week. Maybe I'll change my mind about some long held assumptions (i.e. all halflings suck). :D

jade von delioch
05-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Gosai from Palladium Fantasy

cigamnogard
05-22-2009, 07:06 PM
My favorite race to play is ANYTHING. I try to play something new every chance I get, and if there are only 5 options, I try to play the one I've played the least previously.

Exactly!

TheSmartestLemming
06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
To me I don't really have any one favorite race, but I do have my least favorite race(s), anything Elfish (Although I kinda want to play an Eladrin in 4E if I ever actually get to play it). I lean more towards favorite races for classes.

If I'm feeling powergamery I'll play a Human cause I just can't give up that extra feat and skill, but usually when I play to roleplay I lean towards the smallies.

I'm a big fan of wizards, and whenever I play them I go small, and usually Gnome. don't know why, but whenever I play a wizard I always play a paranoid character, and I've got to say that it's so fun to play paranoid Gnomes and Halflings. My two favorites have got to be Rolly Barrellbottom, the Halfling wizard with the run feat who always had expeditious retreat memorized, often multiple times. When the party has got to run it's always the small and slow characters that get the shaft. Well, not Rolly, he'll rocket away and then use the message spell to contact his friends too tell them where he is when they catch up.

And then there is Neblin Balinor my Gnome wizard with a little mans complex, who loved the up close and personal feeling of ray spells. Get him angry and he'll scorching ray/enervate/baleful polymorph ("Who's SMALL NOW?!?!"/disintegrate you.

I also had a lot of fun playing a Gnome Druid with Scent (come on the large scnozz), tracking, brackiation (sorry about the spelling) and who loved to talk to burrowing animals. It was a lot of fun playing an animalistic Gnome who sniffed out and tracked down his foes all while swinging through the trees.

If I ever play a monk, it's always a Dwarf, because out of all of the races Dwarves are the ones who I see ripping your heart out with their bare hands best.

Although I do have to say that if I ever play a rogue, I almost always play a Human, I think mainly because I can't see playing one as any other race (maybe that says something about me, hahaha). Rogues used to be my favored class, that is until I got into a group of gamers that always turned to the rogue as the "face" of the party. I suck as the face of the party, and usually crumble under any sort of specific questioning when trying to lie, so I would be pushed up front, start bumbling around, fail at what I was doing and invariably resorted to backstabbing and running as my out, which got everyone into no end of trouble. So, I've stopped playing rogues. AHAHA.

korhal23
06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
My favorite race in 4E is the Genasi. There's something totally sweet about each one of their manifestations, and they make good just about anythings.

cigamnogard
06-01-2009, 08:30 PM
To me I don't really have any one favorite race, but I do have my least favorite race(s), anything Elfish
Odd, in my Wednesday night game most of the players have elfish ones and female ones at that. There is a human paladin, human barbarian, gnome wizard, elf bard/paladin, elf swashbuckler/swordsage, and a elf ranger. The female elves dominate the group and push the humans around:laugh:

Thorn
06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I have always perfered playing elves and now eladrin. Never really considered any other.:)

Sascha
06-02-2009, 12:37 PM
The female elves dominate the group and push the humans around:laugh:
The Princess Leia school of inter-party relations ^_^

"I don't know who you are or where you've come from, but from now on you'll do as I say, okay?"

Baron_Samedi
06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I favor the duergar...i like dwarves alright i suppose, but something about dwarves of the underdark...not to mention their psionic ability of expansion, doubling their size...comes in handy....

Harwel
06-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I like to play humans. Easy for demihumans to fall into stereotypes, and it seems everyone else wants to play something more exotic most of the time. Humans are the dominant race is most games, so I provide the "reality check" to some degree. :lol:

d1comics
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I've been running games for a LONG time, every since I went to college. My last character I got to play was a human, though I do believe I generally like them all (except dwarves). Once I started running games, I started homebrewing new races, which generally took over all my characters I would make.

But with the creation of 4e, and Character Builder, I've made lots of new characters, and cannot help but have fallen in lover with Gnolls. Doesn't matter the class, I always think of a fun Gnoll concept to go with it. Heh.

gajenx
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
for me in games like DnD I often prefer to play humans or Fey. I love the mythological Archtype you see in those creatures. I have been lucky and often am able to play under a DM that will build a balanced Monster Fey class from the MM or we sit and look over myths and build a character based on the myth.

Though when I do something like WHFRP I end up Elf as I love my screw the human hippy Wood elves or monkeybutt Dark elves to much to really play anything else.

cigamnogard
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I favor the duergar...i like dwarves alright i suppose, but something about dwarves of the underdark...not to mention their psionic ability of expansion, doubling their size...comes in handy....
Not too mention the invisability...

gajenx
06-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Invisibility is over rated.

cigamnogard
06-04-2009, 06:10 PM
How?

gajenx
06-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Once you have it it gets over used adn is no longer this cool new toy. Also everyone things the fey for being invisible when only in myth 1 - 2 of them actually were.

cigamnogard
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Once you have it it gets over used adn is no longer this cool new toy.

I suppose but it is always useful for the 1st attack - especially for a rogue but even for any fighter. Attacking someone without their dex is just so much easier!.

Also everyone things the fey for being invisible when only in myth 1 - 2 of them actually were.

Pardon?

gajenx
06-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Sorry I meant to say everyone thinks of fey races as being invisible when only the pixie and sprite are invisible.

cigamnogard
06-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Ah - true!

gajenx
06-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Most forget that the Fey in myths were the biggest reason people stayed in their towns and did what was asked of them not monsters like dragons and ogres.

cigamnogard
06-04-2009, 07:31 PM
In that regards elves are usually portrayed as evil.

gajenx
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Well the original Elves, since they are German Myth, would be Evil and were. If you messed up their land by moving a leaf out of place they were thought to curse you and your family until you made proper amends, usually in blood.

Parzival
06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm partial to gnomes and hobbits. Especially if I get the worldbuilding authority to put interesting "twists" on the race's psychology.

cigamnogard
06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Well the original Elves, since they are German Myth, would be Evil and were. If you messed up their land by moving a leaf out of place they were thought to curse you and your family until you made proper amends, usually in blood.
They also used to steal children.

Demi
06-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmmmm. I've not thought about this much.

I had an infatuation with elves from a young age, after seeing Deedlit from Record of Lodoss Wars (Though I didn't know what the series was at the time), and it remains, though to a lesser degree, to this day.

I like Humans though, because I feel like I can relate to them more... I feel like I can "play the part" correctly. Of course, I'm not good at presuming certain things that my character might know, so playing a 20 year old human gives me the chance to draw from my own experiences and use knowledges that /I/ as a player have - I have a more direct comparison, if you will. I'm getting better at discerning what my character would know without my DM telling me, based on the campaign setting and the backstory, but I tend to tread on the side of caution - I'd rather not try to play God... that's the DM's job.

Other than humans and elves, I prefer the more sprightly, or Fey races. All of my characters tend to be bubbly and bright on the outside, and somehow I can't imagine a Half-Orc, or a Goliath, or even a Deva being that way. The only character I currently play that has any ounce of seriousness is my Tiefling Warlock, Infinity, and he's a blast simply because he's so delusional (...acually, knowing my DM, it's really hard to tell if he is or not) and mad that he's the life of any party.

In that regards elves are usually portrayed as evil.

Read Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. Perfect example. I practically had trouble finishing it after seeing that the elves were the bad guys. :(

gajenx
06-05-2009, 10:00 PM
cigamnogard

I think you are thinking of the Changeling myths and those are Irish in nature. Elves never stole kids, though the German version of the Sluagth did, but they stole them scared them and then let the frightened child run into a pack of preditors and fend for himself.

Fey = mean when not the happy type.

BrotherDog
06-06-2009, 04:48 AM
Yeah, it's kind of interesting how D&D inverted Hobgoblins and Elves like that. The original Elves were evil, and the original Hobgoblins were the rare good fey that protected mortals from evil fey. Kinda hillarious isn't it?

gajenx
06-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Well yeah since you can't have ugly things being the heroes and beating up the pretty people. Our looks based American culture would never go for that. Though also think that the people who made monsters based all concepts of good and evil races on Tolkien and embraced Irish and U.K. myths as the good guys while all others were evil and bad (over generalization there I know).

tesral
06-06-2009, 11:55 AM
I think we can shove some of the blame over on Tolkien.

gajenx
06-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I know you can since he called his beings elves as it was easier to spell and read for the average English reader than calling them Aasirian Alfar, a.k.a. Aasgardian Alfar, which in myth hated being mixed with the Germanic Elves and the Irish Sidhe once the cultures met.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Duegar are underrespected, that's for sure. I also love them Dwarves. They're just a great addition to my gaming campaigns.

I've been running games for a LONG time, every since I went to college. My last character I got to play was a human, though I do believe I generally like them all (except dwarves). Once I started running games, I started homebrewing new races, which generally took over all my characters I would make.

But with the creation of 4e, and Character Builder, I've made lots of new characters, and cannot help but have fallen in lover with Gnolls. Doesn't matter the class, I always think of a fun Gnoll concept to go with it. Heh.

Gnolls are great, i first started playing them way back when. He was my mages 'evil' assistant, which had the party at all times plotting to kill him. Good times.

I'm partial to gnomes and hobbits. Especially if I get the worldbuilding authority to put interesting "twists" on the race's psychology.

Gnomes and Hobbits are the best. Of course, the cultures, etc, with those two races are so different and detailed(in my games), that they both make significant contributions to my campaign world.

Sascha
06-06-2009, 02:04 PM
<3<3 the fey. There's at least a touch of the Fair Folk in all my elves, if not outright snatched wholecloth ;) It's too bad Changeling: the Dreaming didn't get the love it really deserved; that line was truly glamourous.

And where years of Disney propaganda failed, Jim Butcher succeeded - making me want a character with a faerie godmother.

gajenx
06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I have the Elves in my world always wrapped up in Fey stuff. Though as much as they run their lands I usually set up the Fey to be their parent race and so will bow to Fey when they decide to act.

Though I also use gnomes and Dwarves alot for major science in my world. Also have goblins do it, but goblins are more often like the mythical version from WW II.

Ishcumbeebeeda
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
My favorite has to be the Goliath from Races of Stone (D&D 3.5). Especially as some sort of spellcaster. I've always hated the idea of the frail spellcaster, and a Goliath is anything but!:biggrin: I also enjoy their physical appearance, and have come close to death with at least one of my characters because he's so proud of his markings that he refuses to wear armor of any kind. (Or anything other than a loin cloth for that matter:lol:)

WhiteTiger
08-04-2009, 07:44 AM
I usually only play "fantastical" races now. I don't play humans... cuz` like... I am one so that's boring. I'm mostly interested in races or templates like Half-Celestial, Half-fey, Half-giant, Giant, Genie, Half-Genie, Draconian, Dragonborn, Half-Dragon, Tiefling, Half-Fiend and other assorted bloodlines.

James Ruglia
08-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I'd probably only ever play a human, but I might be convinced to be a half-elf if it were ever a problem.

CEBedford
08-17-2009, 12:09 PM
My favorite is still a half-troll custom race my DM and I made for 2nd edition. It's my favorite because we spent hours at a coffee shop scrawling notes and details about personality, history, anatomy, appearance, etc. As the sun rose I wandered home clutching coffee stained placemats and couldn't wait to play the single most entertaining DnD character I've ever played.

Lucifer_Draconus
08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Generally humans & Elves (in Elflord variety). But since the majority of the PC races in my homebrew setting are of the 'lil' folk , such as Gnomes , Goblins & Halflings ( Warrow-like). Plus my Elves are smaller Elflord inspired kind , fits the whole small folk theme. I'm playing a Dwarf in the RM2/C game I play in & a Goblin in Jade's playtest game. I've been wanting to play a Halfling or Goblin , of late.

MarshamSane
08-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Human, azurin, or silvanesti elf.

SneakSneakStabStab
08-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I always find playing a halfling fun especially when you get really angry at the big folk when they call you a midget "ahhhhhhh run away the midget is gonna bite our ankles off".

MarshamSane
08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh, I'm gunna get flamed so hard for this, but I also like kender.

Oldgamer
08-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Lol, yeah, there's a lot of Kender haters out there. I like them personally, though since so many people don't like them, they don't often make it into a game unless they're NPC's.

MarshamSane
08-21-2009, 01:08 PM
one of my last players did a kender warlock, and picked invocations by: what sounds interesting.

it made for a horribly fun time.

tesral
08-21-2009, 09:10 PM

Me/ Sets MarshamSane on fire.

one of my last players did a kender warlock, and picked invocations by: what sounds interesting.

it made for a horribly fun time.

Me/ Sets him on fire too.

:flame:

MarshamSane
08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Not a fan of kender, tesral?

tesral
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Not a fan of kender, tesral?

Not a fan of the way Kender are usually played.

Crossroads_Wanderer
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
I usually play elves and half-elves, and I've played plenty of humans as well. I have enjoyed playing a dwarf in a recent PBP I've been in, so I don't really limit myself. The one race I can't see ever enjoying is halfling. I just don't like the culture attached to them. They are pranksters and thieves, and they don't make decent rangers (:P). I like the occasional halfling (or kender) character in books, but most of them annoy me. I really couldn't fully explain why.

CEBedford
08-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Not a fan of the way Kender are usually played.
This! Anything used as an excuse to annoy other players or disrupt game play is a bad game element.

DMMike
08-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Kinder. Er, kender. Yet another reason I can't stand Dragonlance. The nice thing about homebrew games is that you can steal whatever copyrights, like Hobbits, you want.

I'm looking forward to running my halflings, not because they have any new mechanics, but because they're the unwanted genetic defects of humans. But they don't just fade away, they start their own communities, have (really) little halfling babies, and find ways to make humans reliant on them. Woe to the bigfoot (human) who crosses a hobbit on hobbit-turf...

Arkhemedes
08-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Humans all the way. Don't understand the fascination with playing some bizarre race. But then, that's probably because I'm always the DM playing some bizarre race. So I suppose if I were only a player all the time I'd probably have a different perspective and I'd want to play something different.

michael
08-29-2009, 09:31 PM
My favorite race of all time are the Mechalus (sp?) from Alternity.

Oldgamer
08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Humans all the way. Don't understand the fascination with playing some bizarre race. But then, that's probably because I'm always the DM playing some bizarre race. So I suppose if I were only a player all the time I'd probably have a different perspective and I'd want to play something different.

Vanilla is a bygone era my friend. Now people want to be Half Dragon/Half Celestial with ties to a Troll king who was married to an Ogre Magi who once slept with Tiamat.

I just joined a vanilla PbP yesterday and found it is a nice, refreshing game for a change, where no one wants to be an All-In-One race.

Arkhemedes
08-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Vanilla is a bygone era my friend. Now people want to be Half Dragon/Half Celestial with ties to a Troll king who was married to an Ogre Magi who once slept with Tiamat.

I just joined a vanilla PbP yesterday and found it is a nice, refreshing game for a change, where no one wants to be an All-In-One race.
Man, you've got that right. These days I have a hard time trying to explain to players why I won't let them play a half-ogre/half-mind flayer vampire ninja. Youngins these days think you have to play something outlandish in order for it to be exciting and enjoyable.

Dark
08-30-2009, 07:16 PM
To me it's a toss up betwen Dwarves and Halflings.

tesral
08-30-2009, 11:14 PM
To me it's a toss up betwen Dwarves and Halflings.

You can't toss Dwarves.

Oldgamer
08-31-2009, 10:25 AM
You can't toss Dwarves.

Why not? It's a sport in Australia I hear ...

tesral
08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Why not? It's a sport in Australia I hear ...

They will ax you not to.

Thorn
09-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Elves mostly and Eladrin since 4e game out.

Hoitash
09-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Good ole elves Mark II. I concur on the elves, esp. for 3.5.

XeroDrift
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I generally rotate through many races and classes, for variety.
For example, if I just rolled up a Human Cleric, it is unlikely that I will roll up a human anything or any race of cleric for the next several characters.
I also tend to rotate martial classes and magic classes.
Something like, Human Cleric, Dragonborn Paladin, Drow Warlock, Halfling Rogue, Eladrin Wizard, Elven Ranger, etc...

trechriron
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I like playing Ogres actually. I created my own re-imagining of the Ogre race of druids who are very in touch with the earth element. The whole "Ogres are monsters" was a language barrier and misunderstanding on first contact between the Ogres and humans. It took many years to repair that. :D

My Ogre's name was Thok. It was a blast!

Handsomethrowrug
10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
My favorite, hands down, are humans. So much can be achieved with humans that it almost seems unnecessary much of the time to even have other races.

Hoitash
10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm a human in real life, I wanna be something different in a game, preferably with a large sword or heavy automatic weaponry. And explosives.

XeroDrift
10-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm a human in real life, I wanna be something different in a game, preferably with a large sword or heavy automatic weaponry. And explosives.

Heh heh,
Well said, especially the explosives bit...

Hoitash
10-08-2009, 10:16 PM
When you play in a game I DM, you get:

Gnomes with steam powered tanks. and flamethrowers.

Musket weilding dwarves. Both these guys have ironclads, by the way.

And elves get automatic crossbows (Think the Van Hellsing movie.)

Oh and cannons, you gotta have cannons.

I want my players to be as insanely in love with gunpowder as I am.

Has anyone ever pointed how short most of the races are? I prefer being a slightly tall elf.

Stabbity
10-12-2009, 12:50 PM
In DDO I love Warforged. I haven't had the chance to play one in PnP. I do have a halfgiant thats really fun to play. basically across between a bulldozer and a two year old. great for screwing up the DMs pre laid plans. "your to meat up with this NPC and he'll take you to the city you need to go to" "yeah well he's not offering me the same as the other party members so I pick up your NPC and threaten him." "um... well he say you need to applogies or he wont take you" "oh well geuss were not going then":D

Halfgiants are great for setting off traps too, taking things the DM really didnt want you to take, using other PCs as improvised weapons, and block door ways when the fail a save.

lomifeh
10-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Dwarves are my current favorite, or elves. It depends on my mood at the time. My dwarves also tend to have a scottish accent for some reason.

Hoitash
10-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Mine vary between Scottish, Welsh, and Irish.

My elves are French and for soem reason my gnomes have a Chinese accent.

tesral
10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Dwarves are my current favorite, or elves. It depends on my mood at the time. My dwarves also tend to have a scottish accent for some reason.

There is a lot of that going around.

lomifeh
10-18-2009, 01:36 PM
There is a lot of that going around.

I could blame WoW but I've always felt like they had that accent. Not sure when it started but it was as a kid for me. Interestingly (at least to me), I was not so into dwarves until I became an adult.

Azar
10-18-2009, 06:19 PM
DWARVES!!! Oh ya, it aint no party with out a dwarf. My second favorite are humans or half orcs, depending on how I rolled I guess.

tesral
10-18-2009, 10:41 PM
I could blame WoW but I've always felt like they had that accent. Not sure when it started but it was as a kid for me. Interestingly (at least to me), I was not so into dwarves until I became an adult.

Bork bork. I think Dwarves should have Norse accents.

XeroDrift
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I've always liked Drow for some reason, not necessarily as a player character (sometimes yes) but generally speaking, something about the race is intriguing to me.

tesral
10-21-2009, 05:27 PM
I've always liked Drow for some reason, not necessarily as a player character (sometimes yes) but generally speaking, something about the race is intriguing to me.

Dominatrix Queens?

XeroDrift
10-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Dominatrix Queens?

heh, quite possibly

Dr.Dead
10-27-2009, 11:54 PM
My favorite race are elfs but i also like dragonborn as well just because they look cool
Elves are my favorite but orcs to there are nothing more than a natural fighter simple easy to use and easy to role up

Rathor
10-29-2009, 02:31 AM
After playing a dwarven fighter I'm starting to like them.Also I kinda like gnomes haven't got to use them as a weapon yet sadly:(