PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e - Dungeon Crawl

Caligula
07-17-2008, 06:32 PM
GAME FORUM: Shadows at Dusk (http://penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)

michaeljearley
07-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I might be over extending myself, but I might be in.

Caligula
07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Great to have you aboard :)

nijineko
07-18-2008, 07:41 PM
just the sort of thing for some fun and relaxation. i need to see how my current load balances before i commit to something new, however. i'll keep this in mind. =D

Caligula
07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Alright, nijineko :) Thanks for considering!

Use the force to make the right choice padawan. Make the right choice..... =D haha kidding

Caligula
07-19-2008, 03:37 PM
So, I guess when we have 5 or 6 people we can get this show on the road. :D

michaeljearley
07-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Was level 10 your desired starting point, or just something you threw out as an idea?

Caligula
07-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah, go with level 10. Go ahead and roll everything up here (hp, etc.) when you get around to it.

michaeljearley
07-20-2008, 11:17 AM
What mechanic are we using to roll attributes.
4d6, 3d6, roll 7x choose 6, points etc...

Caligula
07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Alright, I figured I should get this stuff up:

Character Level: Tenth.

Race, Class, Template & Alignment: Any race or class from the Player's Handbook (3.5e). If you want another race or class that is from another source, please send me some information on what it is, and why you want to play it. Any of the nine alignments are fine (provided they agree with any class or race you pick).

Ability Scores: Starting Ability Scores - One of two ways: 1.) 18, 16, 14, 12, 10 and 08 before racial adjustments if any, or 2.) 4d6 drop the lowest. Reroll anything that is below 8, and reroll all if none are above 12. Ability Scores - You get two points to put in any abilities for 4th and 8th level, and then an extra two (four bonus ability points total).

Hit Points: Max out the first level, then roll all subsequent levels up to 10.

Bonus Feat: You can get another bonus feat to start with if you choose to give your character a significant/interesting defect, such as a weakness, phobia, or flaw (pertaining at least vaguely to what might be found in a dungeon).

Starting Gold: 40,000 gold pieces, you may purchase whatever you want from the Players Handbook.

All characters must first be approved of by the DM (me). I am very open to different concepts, what I'm looking for is characters that will add character to the campaign. Try to think of interesting characters that will do well in a dungeon environment, and knowing that there will be plenty of things to overcome, you'll want to look at what the other players are going to be playing to make a well rounded party.

As a note to the actual game, most encounters will be with your level. However, I believe that the dice are what they are, and death may occur to the unlucky. Still, you can prevent it by making wise decisions, and working together. Either way, I'm not in this to kill off my PCs, but to make this an enjoyable game, and what is an enjoyable without some chance of failure?

--Sylvengard

Zane
07-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I'd be quite interested in joining up if you still have a slot open. I'll send a PM with a character idea.

nijineko
07-22-2008, 06:27 PM
...tempting....

as a side note, you might want to post a copy of this, or at least a link to this thread over in the actual campaign invitation sub-forum. might drum up some more interest. (although it might also run you out of slots before i get around to making up my other mind.)

sooooooo, just how flexible are you when it comes to characters with "character"? there is this seriously weird and quite humorous concept i ran across once that would be a hoot to play.... just asking in case i do make up that other mind, you understand. ;D

Caligula
07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Got the PM, Zane, and I'm shootin a reply back your way.

Actually, I was thinking about that, but I didn't want to overdo it. I think I will; thanks! I also sent a PM to Farcaster to get a sub-forum up in the PBP section like the other games, but he stilll hasn't responded yet. Ah, I'll give him some time.

As for flexibility, get me a concept of what kind of character you wish to play. Worst that can happen is I could say no, so shoot. Usually I don't like wacky weird characters, but if it is a nice idea there is a chance I'll allow it. :)

Caligula
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Alright, here is the official story beginning and backdrop.

In the city of Amasst, the clerics are in an uproar. The legendary fortress of Anduk that is only a mile from the town has been targeted with the foulest of reputation, and they claim that boys as young as ten have wandered in never to be seen again. But of course, it seems the two knights that went in after them had little luck either, for none have seen their faces since. The fortress, living up to it's eery former name of Dusk, is a wonderous structure in the day, but when the sun falls the darkness in the doorway is both a beckoning call and a hideous warning.

The scholars claim it is an ancient relic of some sort, while the clerics insist that it is a demon from the Abyss. Which is true remains to be seen, for in Dusk much is hidden. One can sense it just by walking close enough to see it; a heaviness in the heart and an overwhelming dread in the stomach, yet something compelling reaches for them, daring them to go closer. The problem is becoming serious, as more villagers fall to the darkness. Now knights under the king's order have kept a watch on the fortress, not allowing any to pass.

However, a merchant is losing his business. With more and more news rising, few even want to pass through the little town called Amasst for fear of dark spirits. He wants everything to go back to normal, and he's willing to pay. Oh, of course he won't step foot near it, but the fat purse goes to him who can put an end to it.

Genzodus Thoth
07-22-2008, 11:23 PM
I would like to join, but I haven't actually played a game before, though I've been reading the rules for while. Would this be a good place to start, or should I look elsewhere?

Caligula
07-23-2008, 07:34 AM
This is a good place. :) This is just a casual game, so feel free to get in on it if you like, regardless of skill level. (This will actually be my first D&D game in quite a while, so it'll be a slight refresher from this side too)

What kind of character do you have in mind?

Genzodus Thoth
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
I was thinking about dread necromancer, but I know that it's sometimes considered overpowered, so I'd be fine playing a wizard if there are any objections.

Caligula
07-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Dread Necro sounds good... go for it.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
WOOT dead and undead

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
You know, we keep this up, DM is going to open up the Book of Vile Darkness

Caligula
07-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Haha too late...I already did. :biggrin:

Caligula
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Alright, so here it is...the class rundown so far. I am gonna keep the races private, as well as the alignments, for now.

michaeljearley - wizard
Zane - rogue/shadowdancer
Genzodus Hellfire - dread necromancer
Addis Hellfire - to be announced
nijineko - to be announced

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 03:05 PM
HOLY DPS batman.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Sylvengard, what level do we get the bonus +2att points. I'm putting them in INT, so it affects how many skill points I'll have.

nijineko
07-23-2008, 06:05 PM
serious question (for me)... will any material from the vile or exalted books (the ones published by wotc, not the in-game artifacts) be used at any time in this game? i have issues with both books, and so that would be a dealbreaker for me. ^^

otherwise and in general, i use any and all wotc official material, with the two exceptions mentioned above. but that's me. i have a few ideas i'd like to try out. i'll work up some of them and we'll see.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Heh, I mentioned it jokingly. While I love those two books, unless you want the game to be epic, they are pretty broken.

Caligula
07-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Michael: If these are the 2 bonus ability points that I mentioned in the first post, youet them at level 1 to begin with.

Nijineko: No problem. All jokes aside, no I was not planning on using anything from either books. The artifacts are questionable, but likely not going to make an appearance either. The main reason is the reason you made...a lot of people have issues with the books, so no we will not be using them. :)

Everyone: Alright, while we are in the character creation process, I'd like to point something out. The fortress is guarded by knights, mainly to keep civilians and commoners from getting tempted and walking in (and possibly to keep whatever they think is in there in, even though nothing has ever come out). You will need to find some way to "infiltrate" the fortress by getting past the guards. There are many ways to do this....anywhere from Moving Silently past, bartering, flattering, or fast talking them, up to outright combating them even to the death. Depending on your character, this could vary. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 06:31 PM
You for got invis and sleep.:lol:
or charm......:eek:

Caligula
07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes....gotta leave some out for the PCs imagination. Can't give away all the solutions, now can I? :D

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Sylvengard, second question. How many "free" spells should I start with.
(So I know if and how many I need to buy)

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes....gotta leave some out for the PCs imagination. Can't give away all the solutions, now can I? :D
pfft. My int might be a 15-16, but my wis deffiently isn't breaking 11

Caligula
07-23-2008, 07:01 PM
As a level 10 wizard, you begin with (from page 54 of PHB):

level |...0...1st..2nd..3rd..4th..5th..6th-9th
10th .|...9....5......4.....3.....2......1......--

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Really, hmm. SRD pack says 2 at each level, of any you are good enough to cast. Just found it.

Caligula
07-23-2008, 07:37 PM
No, you choose a certain amount of spells (spells known table), and then every day you are allowed to cast a certain amount of each level (daily spells table). For instance, at level 1, you are allowed to pick four cantrips (0 level spells) and two 1st level spells. So, each level, you refer to the table and you are allowed to pick more until you reach the limit. Second table down (spells known) here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#sorcerer).

nijineko
07-23-2008, 07:40 PM
might you be looking at the wizard section, perchance, michaeljearley? include a link so that we can check it out and explain. =D generally speaking, the spells known table and spells daily table are what you are going to follow. the two per level sounds like the wizard's progression, as they don't have a spells known table.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Whew. I'm not losing my mind.
Yes, I'm wizard. Much as I prefer the sorcerer casting, I like the int based concept.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
The three of us are online, we could use the live chat, I'm there.

Caligula
07-23-2008, 07:57 PM
:eek: Dang...my apoligies!! I am so familiar with the sorcerer that I forgot you were playing a wizard. Truely sorry.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Truth be told, I'm considering switching.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Nah, I'll stay wizard.

nijineko
07-23-2008, 08:19 PM
heheheh. well, that explains it then. =D the int is nice, but keeping track of a spell book and having to pick blindly what i know at the beginning of each day wears on me. ^^

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Very, very, tru. Beguiler looks very interesting as well.
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf

Between these two is a rather hard decision.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Nah, I'll stay wizard.

nijineko
07-23-2008, 08:45 PM
my personal favorite is beholder mage.... now that's how i want to run a magic user. learns spells as a wizard, casts them like a sorcerer. the only catch is that even by generous estimate a beholder is ecl+20. if only there were a non-beholder variant. perhaps someday someone will let me play one. ^^ i already have a great character worked up.

Zane
07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
And all that is why I prefer fighting classes (fighter and rangers) and rogues. Don't have to worry about all those spells to keep track of. :D

That and I swear I must be a rogue at heart - This will be the third rogue I am playing currently, and I also have a scout (ranger/rogue hybrid) character. Hmm, I'd say that maybe I should seek help, but I don't think I want any. :cool:

Caligula
07-24-2008, 12:28 AM
My my....you've changed your mind more times than....than....than a guy who changes his mind alot! ;)

And all that is why I prefer fighting classes (fighter and rangers) and rogues. Don't have to worry about all those spells to keep track of. :D

That and I swear I must be a rogue at heart - This will be the third rogue I am playing currently, and I also have a scout (ranger/rogue hybrid) character. Hmm, I'd say that maybe I should seek help, but I don't think I want any. :cool:

Amennnn! Yes, spellcasters have their place, but nothing beats rogue. My two favorite classes when I am a player is the rogue and the bard, hands down. Of course, fireballs and magic missle and summoning things is nice, but no one can do what a rogue can. Make it an elf and it's even better in dungeons and stuff, not to mention seeing in the dark. Long live the rogue!! :biggrin:

michaeljearley
07-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Wizards 4 Life

Caligula
07-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Okay, for all new players, there are restrictions as to avalible classes. This does not include anyone who has posted prior to this post, or that has been conversing with me via PM.

We have a wizard, dread necromancer, and a warmage, so as you can see the magical side of things is quite large. Also, we have a rogue/shadowdancer, and a character yet to come.

No more wizards or sorcerers will be allowed, and this includes and deviants from those classes (necros, warmages, archmages, etc.).

At this point we are looking for a cleric! Also, for balance, we could use some more physical characters, such as barbarians, fighters, or even rangers.

We have five players, and I plan to begin when we get one or two more. In any circumstance, 8 will be the definite maximum of players I will allow, so there are in essence three slots left.

Zane
07-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Alright, while we are in the character creation process, I'd like to point something out. The fortress is guarded by knights, mainly to keep civilians and commoners from getting tempted and walking in (and possibly to keep whatever they think is in there in, even though nothing has ever come out). You will need to find some way to "infiltrate" the fortress by getting past the guards. There are many ways to do this....anywhere from Moving Silently past, bartering, flattering, or fast talking them, up to outright combating them even to the death. Depending on your character, this could vary. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

So, should each person be figuring this out right now, or are you simply saying that it *will* come up? Are you planning on the group all meeting first and then sneaking in, or are we all going to meet up inside the dungeon, after each of us gets past the guards?

Caligula
07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
So, should each person be figuring this out right now, or are you simply saying that it *will* come up? Are you planning on the group all meeting first and then sneaking in, or are we all going to meet up inside the dungeon, after each of us gets past the guards?

Well, unless you wish otherwise, your character will likely meet in the local tavern with the merchant and the other characters at the opening of the game. The merchant will have met all of the characters already, and is getting them together before they head out ("power in numbers" he says). From there they will head out to the fortress, at which point they will all need to come up with some way to get in.

Of course, this is only default, and you can go in any way you want. Most likely you will have spoken with the merchant and you are in it for the money, whether you show up at the tavern or not (he will just say that there are a couple others that showed interest).

So, to answer your question: If everyone decides to be rogue and go in alone despite what the merchant insisted, then yes, everyone will meet in the dungeon, or outside it...wherever they run into each other. So if they show up at the tavern, then that is where we shall start. (When we are closer to the time when the game will begin I'll ask everyone and get their character's action.)

Important thing is that all the characters will arrive at the dungeon at about the same time, whether they know each other or not; call it luck or fate if you like...I call it "what a coincidence!". :D

michaeljearley
07-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Haha. I like it. Your all here, deal with it.

Caligula
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh, I forgot to put this in the last post. The sub-forum is up now, and will soon be populated with threads and such to post in. Welcome to Shadows at Dusk (http://penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)!

Zane
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
No problem - I'm good with the group meeting up ahead of time, I was just curious about your plans. Working up a good description now for introduction time...

Caligula
07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Great! :)

nijineko
07-24-2008, 06:35 PM
i working on a desc, and a flaw... we'll need to chat about that. ^^

Abbadon
07-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey, Sylvengard. I'm thinking of playing a Barbarian/Fighter, or maybe a Ex-Monk/Rogue. One thing that is going to be a deciding factor is whether or not I'm allowed to hire a spell-caster before the game to cast a few spells above the cost of 3000 gp (the book says I need DM's permission to do so). Basically I'm planning on having permanent (as per the spell permanency, P. 259) version of resistance, and either magic fang or greater magic fang (greater magic fang comes out to more than 3000 gp). I'm OK with being restricted to 3000 gp, something higher, or no limit except for the 40k gp budget.

nijineko
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
if i may suggest, the phbII web enhancement has rules for the xp coming from sources other than the spellcaster. as in the player's character could provide the xp. would drop in level to 9th or so, but that might be adequate compensation for allowing the wishes and other things. keep in mind our gp limit... your hirings would come out of it. ^^

Abbadon
07-25-2008, 12:26 PM
I started doing the math and realized wish just once would take out half my budget. Also, I was under the impression that it was 40k GP for each character. I usually try to have my characters carry as little cash on them as possible, especially for Barbarians or Monks.

nijineko
07-25-2008, 12:30 PM
=D wishes are rather expensive.

Caligula
07-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey Abbadon. :D Barbarian/fighter would be great, and the monk would work as well. However, I'm going to have to say no to the Wish - that's a yes for everything else. Go ahead and get the greater fang if you want to.

nijineko
07-25-2008, 12:43 PM
there is a magic item which does the same thing, but it's kinda pricey. an amulet of natural weapons or some such. ^^

Abbadon
07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Hey, cool deal with the spells.

I started on the Monk character build and I think I'm going to have to go with the Barbarian/Fighter. More efficient killing machine (which is what the party needs). The monk was only slightly more accurate and had only one additional attack, but had about 3/4 the HP, had weaker average damage, and had nothing else over the Brb/Ftr.

Caligula
07-25-2008, 01:26 PM
That was what I was hoping for, seeing that we were short on fighting power...the Monk is nice, but like you said doesn't compare up close and personal.

(Btw, lets switch over to the Discussion Thread of the sub-forum)

starwolf013
07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
If you are still looking for a cleric, I would love to participate if you'd have me. I haven't played since AD&D 2nd edition days, so I would need help getting familiar with the some of the differences as well as the whole PbP style of gameplay.

However, I am online quite often and can post frequently.

Caligula
07-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, we have a player to play a cleric at the moment, but I am sure we can welcome another. Otherwise, we could use a fighter or some other combat oriented class, even considering that you are getting used to 3.5. :) So either way, welcome aboard!

Zane
07-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I haven't played since AD&D 2nd edition days, so I would need help getting familiar with the some of the differences as well as the whole PbP style of gameplay.For coming from 2nd Edition - a basic fighter would likely be the easiest for you to use as you become familiar with the 3.5 system. That said, he (or she) could still be rather interesting (i.e. basic does not mean boring). If you need any help, feel free to send me a PM. I've actually started (past month) learning 2nd Ed rules myself, as I had a DM switch back to AD&D as 4th Edition was coming out. :biggrin:

Caligula
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
True. Also, you could always take prestige classes and multiclasses as you learn the change in the rules.

starwolf013
07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I will pull the classes off of the crystal site and figure out what interests me the most out of what is there. I appreciate the help!

Caligula
07-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh, as just a little reminder to throw out there in case you haven't read the DM Notes thread (which you should for the character creation info and guidelines), you can't play sorcerers or wizards, seeing that we already have quite a few magical-based PCs.