PDA

View Full Version : Why Gnomes Rock as Barbarians in 3e

Webhead
07-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Related to my "Cev" thread and in partial response to the "half-orcs rock as barbarians", here is my list of the relative advantages and disadvantages of choosing a Gnome over a Half-Orc when you play a Barbarian in D&D 3.X assuming the same set of base ability scores. Enjoy! :D

Disadvantages of Gnome over Half-Orc:

-1 to melee attack rolls
-2 to melee or thrown damage rolls
10 feet less base speed
No Darkvision
3/4 carrying capacity

Advantages of Gnome over Half-Orc:

+1 to ranged attack rolls
+1 to AC
+4 to Hide checks
+1 to attack kobolds and goblinoids
+4 dodge bonus to AC vs. giants
+2 to Listen checks
+2 to saves vs. Illusion
Cast Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation and Speak with Burrowing Mammals 1/day
1 extra bonus language (if Int above 11)
+4 skill points at 1st level and +1 skill point each level
+1 hit point per level
+1 to Fort saves
+1 round duration of "Rage" ability
+1 to Handle Animal and Intimidate class skill checks

agoraderek
07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
bunch of stats and stuff

you forgot "+10 cuddliness". i can see the hottie elven mistress of magic pinching Cev's cheek and saying "it was so CUTE when you tore that gnoll's throat out with your teeth!" :biggrin:

boulet
07-16-2008, 10:05 PM
OK, now I'm attacked by mental images of gnomish pr0n... Quick please someone derail this thread with a vitriol comment about lizards of the coast.

tesral
07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
[vitriolic comment about lizards of the coast].

Well he is cute.

boulet
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Now it's Tanuki pr0n at a Furry convention...

I need a vodka shot... One ? Who am I kidding ?

agoraderek
07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Now it's Tanuki pr0n at a Furry convention...

I need a vodka shot... One ? Who am I kidding ?

dude, come on over, i have a bottle of goose in the freezer and "man bites dog" on the dvr...

boulet
07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
If you let me wear the cowboy hat it's a deal !

agoraderek
07-16-2008, 10:44 PM
If you let me wear the cowboy hat it's a deal !

absolutely! chicks dig the hat, man, they really do ;)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Hmmm, next campaign I'm playing a Gnome Barbarian.

...And i shall name him Tammany Beatleby, aka The Beatle. Oh Yeah! That's sounds fierce.

I'll even make sure he has a complex about his nickname.

Thoth-Amon

tesral
07-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Hmmm, next campaign I'm playing a Gnome Barbarian.

...And i shall name him Tammany Beatleby, aka The Beatle. Oh Yeah! That's sounds fierce.

I'll even make sure he has a complex about his nickname.

Thoth-Amon

We had Olaf the Half Fierce, Barbarian CPA.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-17-2008, 02:20 AM
We had Olaf the Half Fierce, Barbarian CPA.
Hilarious. I almost spit out my drink on that one.

Thoth-Amon

Tomcat1066
07-17-2008, 05:22 AM
I once played a human barbarian who enjoyed reading and fine wine. Talk about fun screwing with new players who joined the campaign :D

tesral
07-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I once played a human barbarian who enjoyed reading and fine wine. Talk about fun screwing with new players who joined the campaign :D

"Gentlemen, just because I break things for a living doesn't mean I don't have a taste for the finder things in life."

Reminds me of Bob Aspirin's Chumly AKA Crunch the Troll. When not "working" he is a fine fellow fit for the drawing room.

Tomcat1066
07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
"Gentlemen, just because I break things for a living doesn't mean I don't have a taste for the finder things in life."

That was kind of the idea. However, he didn't start out that way, but that's how he ended up. He was fun to play :)

tesral
07-17-2008, 09:54 AM
That was kind of the idea. However, he didn't start out that way, but that's how he ended up. He was fun to play :)

I love characters that mess with the boundaries. Mine or other people's. To my mind that is what role-play is for.

Tomcat1066
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I love characters that mess with the boundaries. Mine or other people's. To my mind that is what role-play is for.

That's what I love to do as well. For example, right now I'm playing a border-line alcoholic fighter...who also has skill with arcane knowledge, is an atheist but has knowledge (religion), and a whole bunch of other knowledge skills. Why? Because reading and drinking are the two things that take his mind off of his past.

The look on the other players' faces when I was asked to roll my Knowlege(Arcana) during a game was priceless :D

Webhead
07-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Aye.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Oh yeah! Gotta have at least one in every party.

Thoth-Amon

nijineko
07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
one gnomish barbarian bear warrior stands out among the various games i've gm'ed. he was partnered with a half-orc monk. rude, crude, moody, short and vicious he was the opposite in everyway of his well tutored, soft and well spoken, "restraint is the way of life", monkish friend. they would coordinate initiative, even. it was rather amusing to have the monk fling the gnome at various opponents and just about half-way there the gnome would rage... tuning into a bear about 5 times his normal size.

you know you want to say it...

"cannon-bear!"

=D

gdmcbride
07-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Gnome barbarians are such a prevalent idea that Reaper has a miniature for one named Gullivar (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=3313&cat=0&page=1).

Can you feel your gnomish rage boiling over? :)

Gary

Utgardloki
08-15-2010, 10:57 AM
To be a little more serious, I think the biggest problem with a gnomish barbarian would be a player not taking into account the fact that his PC is only 2 feet tall plus change. But played as a more "wiley" barbarian type, this thread has convinced me that this archetype could indeed work out.