PDA

View Full Version : Converting Characters to D&D

Addis Hellfire
07-16-2008, 12:31 AM
I've always been curious as to how certain characters would look like in D&D, so this thread is for making characters either based on or actually characters that already exist in games, movies, books, etc.

One character I've managed to make is Dante from the game Devil May Cry. As for a race, I chose a Plainetouched since Dante looks like a human except for the white hair ( . . . ignore the Devil Trigger . . . ). For classes I found that a Fighter/Rogue combo works pretty well. The Fighter is pretty obvious for him, and Rogue covers the stunts he pulls both in and out of combat. I'm still trying to figure out what his Devil Trigger would be. As for weapons . . . Rebellion is pretty much a broadsword (he swings with both two hands and one hand), Cerberus is . . . er . . . are there nanchaku in D&D? . . . A&R are double scimitars . . . Beowolf is just a set of bracers and greaves . . . not sure what to do with Nevan.

Anybody have a character that would be awesome in D&D?

Igbutton
07-16-2008, 01:08 AM
I've stated so many characters for 3e.

The Outlaw Josey Wales - Fighter/Rogue with the Feats Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack, Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Guts(from the manga/anime Berserk) - Barbarian/Fighter(Dungeon Crusher variant) too many feats to list of the top of my head. His sword the Dragonslayer could be used as a tower shield in the same round he attacked(ranged attacks only) and his cannon arm did Ballista Damage.

Prince of Persia - Psionic Warrior/Rogue - Used the feat 'Up the Walls' heavily and had enough rogue levels for Skill Mastery(Jump, Tumble, Climb, and Balance). Dagger of Time was of course an artifact.

That's all I want to do for now but rest assured if I liked the movie or the game the character was in I usually stated them at least in my mind.

Webhead
07-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Okay, so I'm cheating a little bit, but I did stat up the entire cast of heroes from the Mystery Men film using Mutants & Masterminds! Boy, that was fun! I think Sphinx was my favorite. ;)

Addis Hellfire
07-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Here's a question that I'm sure people have heard before . . . but . . . how would you make Sephiroth?

Igbutton
07-16-2008, 07:04 PM
So I was going to reply and say that Final Fantasy characters just don't translate to D&D very well... unless of course you go epic and kinda just toss aside the entire magic system... which is doable.

So in deciding how to stat Seph's sword and what feats he would have and what general level he would be I came to a conclusion.

Addis Hellfire sucks.

Jerk. Now I won't be able to stop thinking about this until it's done.

Addis Hellfire
07-16-2008, 07:09 PM
So I was going to reply and say that Final Fantasy characters just don't translate to D&D very well... unless of course you go epic and kinda just toss aside the entire magic system... which is doable.

So in deciding how to stat Seph's sword and what feats he would have and what general level he would be I came to a conclusion.

Addis Hellfire sucks.

Jerk. Now I won't be able to stop thinking about this until it's done.

Lol, your welcome. Er, as for a race, again I was thinking of Planetouched . . . I don't know any others that would work for him.

ZleapingBear
07-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Hehe, nice.

Hmm one Robin of luxley(one of the many Robin hood versions)
Human Figther Lvl 4.
3 Feats:
Power att.
Point blank shot.
Precise shot.
3 Figter feats:
Quick Draw.
Blind fight.
Imp Bull rush.

Fast, Dirty figthing good Archer.

What about Joan of arc. Paladin/Figther?.... hmmm...

Webhead
07-16-2008, 07:35 PM
In an older issue of Inquest magazine (that I have buried around here somewhere), the staff put together an article (complete with stats) about their D&D "dream team", i.e. the characters from fantasy fiction that they'd like to see join together into the prototypical 4-man D&D adventuring party.

The Fighter: Conan

The Wizard: A "younger" Elminster

The Healer: Aragorn

The Thief: Gray Mouser

That was a cool article. I'll have to dig it out sometime.

Addis Hellfire
07-16-2008, 11:18 PM
In an older issue of Inquest magazine (that I have buried around here somewhere), the staff put together an article (complete with stats) about their D&D "dream team", i.e. the characters from fantasy fiction that they'd like to see join together into the prototypical 4-man D&D adventuring party.

The Fighter: Conan

The Wizard: A "younger" Elminster

The Healer: Aragorn

The Thief: Gray Mouser

That was a cool article. I'll have to dig it out sometime.

Hey, could you post the stats for the Grey Mouser? I don't think they ever redid Lankmar. Are there stats for Fafhrd?

agoraderek
07-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Hey, could you post the stats for the Grey Mouser? I don't think they ever redid Lankmar. Are there stats for Fafhrd?

they were statted out in the original dieties and demigods, both were, in 3x terms "multiclassed" fighter/rogues, with grey mouser being rogue heavy, and fafhrd being fighter heavy. grey mouser was 15thf/11ftr/3mu, and fafhrd was 15rgr/5brd/13thf, but, in 1e terms, they were statted like the gods in the d&dg, so it would probably be wise not to do a straight level to level conversion into 3e terms, and would be a different issue all together in 4e terms.

Genzodus Thoth
07-18-2008, 11:40 PM
This thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=589061) on the Wizards forums has the vast majority of the characters from Naruto.
Most DBZ characters are epic level gestalt monk/wilders.
Kurama from Yu Yu Hakushou is an epic level human unholy scion (Heroes of Horror) gestalt fighter/druid with levels of lasher (Sword and Fist) and a magical, plant-based version of pyrokineticist.

Addis Hellfire
07-19-2008, 02:34 AM
This thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=589061) on the Wizards forums has the vast majority of the characters from Naruto.
Most DBZ characters are epic level gestalt monk/wilders.
Kurama from Yu Yu Hakushou is an epic level human unholy scion (Heroes of Horror) gestalt fighter/druid with levels of lasher (Sword and Fist) and a magical, plant-based version of pyrokineticist.

Hey, what about Heiei (spelling?) and one of the Togaros . . . er . . . the skinny one with the mask in the Dark Tournament.

Genzodus Thoth
07-19-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm not entirely sure of what Hiei's race would be, but he would probably be an epic level gestalt barbarian/wilder with the cerebral rager (Hyperconscious) prestige class.
The elder Toguro would be a maho tsukai with some form of racial fast healing. I can't figure out exactly what the younger Toguro would be, but he's probably got some psychic warrior levels.

michaeljearley
07-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I'll have to dig them out as well, but if I can find them, I have those issues of Dragon as well.

Genzodus Thoth
07-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Lelouch from Code Geass is a telepath 10/thrallherd 10. His improved thrall is Kallen, a psychic warrior 9/ pyrokineticist 10 and his second thrall is C.C., a telepath 18 (she's second because she didn't actively help him until after he rescued her from Mao). For R2, replace Kallen with Rolo, a rogue 4/ telepath 4/ shadowmind 10 (Complete Psionic).

tesral
07-20-2008, 08:08 PM
they were statted out in the original dieties and demigods, both were, in 3x terms "multiclassed" fighter/rogues, with grey mouser being rogue heavy, and fafhrd being fighter heavy. grey mouser was 15thf/11ftr/3mu, and fafhrd was 15rgr/5brd/13thf, but, in 1e terms, they were statted like the gods in the d&dg, so it would probably be wise not to do a straight level to level conversion into 3e terms, and would be a different issue all together in 4e terms.

There was also a Lankmar source book for AD&D. It is somewhere in my pile. I have no doubt there are stats for Fafurd and the Grey Mouser. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Tony Misfeldt
07-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Didn't I already start this topic?

Skunkape
07-23-2008, 07:24 AM
The biggest problem I've always had when converting characters is loss of the original concept of the character. Generally, they never convert quite right from one game system to another, that includes from one revision to another depending on how much the game system has changed between revisions.

For instance, I've converted AD&D characters to 3.5 versions and they always loose a little something if I don't bend the rules a little here and there. What I've started to do is try and rewrite the character starting again with the original concept and go from there.

Webhead
07-23-2008, 11:44 AM
The biggest problem I've always had when converting characters is loss of the original concept of the character. Generally, they never convert quite right from one game system to another, that includes from one revision to another depending on how much the game system has changed between revisions.

For instance, I've converted AD&D characters to 3.5 versions and they always loose a little something if I don't bend the rules a little here and there. What I've started to do is try and rewrite the character starting again with the original concept and go from there.

Agreed. I don't tend to "convert" characters so much as "adapt" them as best I can with the rules systems given. I find the closest, most reasonable ways to translate the concept of the character, even if the smaller details end up changing.

Tony Misfeldt
07-30-2008, 05:00 PM
In the animated feature The Lord Of The Rings, Borimir was depicted as a viking. As fantasy barbarians are based heavily on viking culture, we can assume that Borimir is of the D&D barbarian class. Obviously he's of good alignment, but easily corrupted by the power of The One Ring, thus I'd guess his alignment to be Neutral Good. He single handedly slew several uruk-hai (which in D&D are called orogs), thus he's quite strong and of some skill. In 2nd Ed he'd have a strength somewhere between 18/76 and 18/100. In 3rd Ed he'd have a strength score of at least 18, likely more if he's over 4th level (which he likely is). When he was trying to rescue Merry and Pippin, it took seven arrows to take him down. The arrows were imbedded in his chest up to their fletchings, so we can assume they did max damage. They were also likely to be sheaf arrows, which means Borimir took 56 hit points of damage before he fell (7 X 8 = 56). Subtract 12 from the damage he took and divide the remainder by 6 and add 1 and you'll have his aproximate level (56-12=44, 44 divided by 6 = 7.7), so Borimir is roughly 8th level. So the character is...

Borimir (Human Male NG 8th Level Barbarian)
Hit Points: 56; STR: 20; DEX: 16; CON: 10; WIS: 10; INT: 13
FEATS: Simple Weapon Proficiency, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Light Armor Proficiency, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword), Power Strike, Cleave

Skill: Standard Barbarian Skills.

Tony Misfeldt
07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Okay, I'll do Xena.... Uh!.... There, did'er. Now I'll make her into a D&D character...

First off, she should deffinately have levels in fighter. After all, she is The Warrior Princess. She should be high enough level to specialize in both the sword and chakram. A fighter has to be at least 4th level to specialize. If she's specialized in both then she must be at least 5th level. She was also the head of her own army, so she must have had the Leadership feat. That would make her at least a 6th level fighter. Now let's just boost that up to 9th level to get her that extra +1 to a stat of her choice. Now with all those cool martial arts moves she does she must have some levels in monk. Her little neck pinch thing closely resembles the monk's Quivering Palm ability, which can only be used at 15th level. Thus she is 24th level total. I figure her stats are likely...

STR: 15 DEX: 20 CON: 16 INT: 15 WIS: 16 CHA: 20
Alignment: CG Feats: Weapon Focus Chakram; Weapon Focus Sword; Simple Weapon Proficiency; Martial Weapon Proficiency; Exotic Weapon Proficiency Chakram; Light Armor Proficiency; Weapon Specialization Chakram; Weapon Specialization Sword; Power Strike; Cleave; Great Cleave; Improved Great Cleave; Vorpal Strike; Deflect Arrow; Mounted Combat; Mounted Archery; Leadership.
Skills: She has many skills.

nijineko
08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
i was creating a character for a couple of games, when i suddenly realized that with some minor tweaking he would be pretty dang close to a famous movie someone...:

male teifling part-ogre, part-minotaur, part-stone golem(single arm) with levels in monk, fighter and favored soul. must have the multi-attack feat so as to be able have fine control with the tail. the monk and fighter for the combat abilites, and the favored soul for the divine-type quirky abilities showed.

in case one hasn't guessed yet, this is pretty close to hellboy. ^^