PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sun (inspired)

Vrath
07-15-2008, 12:09 AM
THIS GAME IS NOW FULL, NO MORE PLAYERS WILL BE ACCEPTED

Overview:
The realm is a sort of home-brew amalgamation of different game worlds. It is influenced by Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms and Eberron (quite a mix, I know)... magic is rare, little understood, and feared. Dark Sun was a 2nd ed setting known for its' harsh enviroments, slave trade, exotic weapons, gladitorial arenas and brutal power struggles.

The 9 Kings of Athas have been locked in a century long stalemate, each engaging his neighbors in minor skirmishes but unwilling to expose vulnerability by attempting all out war.

Gladiatorial arenas form the core of most cultures. Magic and psionics are feared and forbidden in many areas, so their use provides a distinct advantage, and a definite risk. The slave trade is strong, a man in manacles, delivered to the right city, can be worth a great deal of money.

The northern parts of the world enjoy temperate climates in the low lands and endure frigid tundra in the high lands / mountainous regions. Wildmen and savage beasts are comon, they raid civilized trade routes and pose a constant threat to all travelers.

The southern parts of this world are mostly desert. It is extremely hot through the day, and not much better at night. (Temperatures hover around 140F) Water is as valuable as steel, and both are rare. As many are claimed by the desert as are claimed by the arenas.

If you are pure-melee, you will have a lot of opportunities available to you in the gladiatorial arenas. In the arenas, psionics and magic are always banned and their use will get you executed. If you plan on fighting in the arena, I suggest that you eschew all magic and psionics, unless they don't hinder your melee progress.

Character Creation & Rules:

No race, class, or alignment restrictions, monstrous races included. All 3.5 WOTC source material is acceptable for character creation and 3.0 content such as Savage Species etc. must be cleared with me first. We will be using 3.5 rules with the following exceptions:

1) Stats: Players will begin at level 3 to allow for racial +LA's and prevent one hit caster kills. Only the mentaly strong and physicaly tough survive in this world so we will use a 36 pointbuy for attributes and maximum hitpoints at every level.
http://home.san.rr.com/thegraggs/dnd/Misc/pbcalc.htm
Due to the brutal climate, in addition to the normal attribute increases per 4th hit die, if you reach +3 BAB, and every +3 thereafter, your tendency toward physical combat results in a 2 point attribute bonus to be freely distributed amoung the physical attributes of your choice (str, dex or con). These are not enhancements, but a true attribute increase.

2) Equipment: Use standard gold for lvl 3 (2,700) spending no more than 1/2 of your wealth on any one item. We will use the piecemeal armor rules and Weapon Group variants to add a great deal of realism, flavor and customization to characters:

http://rapidshare.com/files/131162700/piecemeal-armor-rules.pdf.html

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm#usingWeaponGroupsInPlaceOfCla ssWeaponProficiencies

If you take a level of any class that has Full Bab, such as fighter, barbarian, etc, you will have a new weapon group available to you: Gladiatorial Weapons. There are some really cool weapons that you will come across, but you won't be starting with them. Here is one example:

Singing sticks: (1d6/19-20 x2) Singing sticks are a carefully crafted and polished pair of clubs. They draw their name from the characteristic whistling sound they make when used. A character proficient with singing sticks may use a pair of singing sticks as if he had the Two Weapon Fighting feat. The off-hand singing stick is considered to be a light weapon. In the hands of a non-proficient character, singing sticks are nothing more than clubs. If the wielder of a pair of singing sticks scores a critical hit, the target must make a fortitude save DC (5+damage dealt) or be stunned for one round. A critical hit does not have this effect when only one singing stick is wielded.

Engar
07-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Welcome and good luck with the game! I love Darksun and just wanted to drop in and mention www.athas.org (http://www.athas.org). If you are already familiar I apologize for the interruption, if not they have some excellent 3.x updated material for Darksun.

purestrainhuman
07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Mmmmm I really enjoyed Dark Sun

Fuzzy alchemist
07-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I would be interested in playing as I have never played in this setting before but have always liked the idea. Do you want us to send you a character concept first or just the fully made character once you approve us as a player. Also, what information do you need to know about us before you approve us as a player?

Vrath
07-15-2008, 07:00 PM
I would be interested in playing as I have never played in this setting before but have always liked the idea. Do you want us to send you a character concept first or just the fully made character once you approve us as a player. Also, what information do you need to know about us before you approve us as a player?

There are no special qualifications required as a player, there are 3 openings and it's first come first serve. You can go ahead and make a character as long as you're using 3.5 wotc materials. If you want to use any 3.0 stuff then you should clear it with me first. Just in case anyone is wondering there are also no class / race / alignment restrictions.

Vrath
07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Welcome and good luck with the game! I love Darksun and just wanted to drop in and mention www.athas.org (http://www.athas.org). If you are already familiar I apologize for the interruption, if not they have some excellent 3.x updated material for Darksun.

Yes I am already familiar with that site but thank you for posting it as I'm sure it will draw more people to the game and I wouldn't have thought of using it for that :o

michaeljearley
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi there.
I'm new to the Penandpapergaming site, but this looks like it could be really cool.
I've never played in a DarkSun setting, but always thought it looked interesting.
Also, I've never played a play by post, could you give me an example of play so I can judge wether I'd be a good addition or not?
michaeljearley@yahoo.com is an easier contact for me.

michaeljearley
07-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Depending on how much you know of FR, I'd like to play a battlerager prestige class (if I can remember what book its in).
Dwarf grappler, spiked armor, gladiator.

Vrath
07-16-2008, 01:52 PM
You can read examples of pbp games on the forums here:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Battlerager is in Races of Faerun which is a 3.0 book but I looked it over and there's no problem with you using it once you meet the pre-reqs. You should know that as a dm my primary concern is that the players absolutely LOVE their characters, so before you start book mining I'd like you to take some time to daydream about who you really want to be in this world.... not just abilities and combat style but personality, motivations, personal goals, what kind of family you come from, how you were raised, and who you really are. Then find a class or multiclass combo to best represent the style / abilities of that person. If everyone does that then we will have an awsome game, and don't worry about needing all the archetypes, I've run games where the party had no cleric or wizard and adjusted things appropriately to compensate.... we had a great time and no one died. If you need help finding a class or feat due to not having the books I'd be more than happy to email you some crib sheets with classes or feats etc just tell me your character concept so I know what to look for.

You can make up as detailed a backstory as you want but you will begin the campaign on a ship traveling from your homeland (Korbala, a very diverse european style continent with many different nations and races) to the distant nation of Latrobe (a smaller australian sized continent) which is known for its plentiful gemstone mines and exotic (asian style) culture, you can make up a reason why your traveling their if you want or I can do it if you prefer. What you know about athas you've heard in stories, no one goes there and no one leaves.... it's the kind of place the rest of the world wants to avoid.

michaeljearley
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Okay, I'm in. This sounds like it would be a really cool game.

I've already stated the dwarf battlerager desire.
I'd also like to be a bloodline form the Unearthed Arcana I believe. I was thinking something like stone giant. Play up the barbarian aspects.
Along those lines, can I be a freed slave in the gladiatoral circut, or is that too far along in a history.
I was thinking something along the lines of being captured during a tribal "dispute" in the wilds, sold to "merchant" for the pit fighting, doing well and eventually given freedom and "contract".
Hmm, as I'm writing this though, might be hard to do barbarian and full metal (I'll take advantage of piecemail, never have always wanted to).
Anyway, thats my intial thoughts, feedback welcome.

Vrath
07-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Unearthed Arcana is another 3.0 book, I looked up the stone giant bloodline and you can do it if you really want to but honestly I don't think it's worth the +2 LA especially when you're going to get the +2 physical attribute increase for every 3bab.

michaeljearley
07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I looked when I got home and competely agree. I was thinking maybe titan, but again, the 3LA is huge.
Scrap the giant/battlerager idea.
I'm sticking dwarf no matter what.
And if I remember correctly, there was a pit fighter prestige somewhere. maybe I'll go that way, if the back story can support it.

Caligula
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Count me in. I got dibs on a half-elf sorcerer if that is fine and dandy with you, Vrath.

michaeljearley
07-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Greetings Sylvengard.
Bugbear, going after Gladiator (need like five levels or so).
Sorcerer eh? Bold choice.

Caligula
07-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I thought it would be pretty bold, everything else considered. When I read in the opening post that "magic is rare, little understood, and feared", I immediately thought how awesome it might be to play a full-fledged magician. I am aware that Vrath might turn it down, but I didn't see anything said about the issue save it was rare, so I'm givin' it a shot.

michaeljearley
07-18-2008, 08:03 AM
From everything I've seen of Vrath so far, he'll allow whatever you want, provided you accept the consequences.
ie. if magic is feared, casting in public might be a death sentence.

Caligula
07-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I love it in campaigns like that - when you can get arrested for practicing your very trade...it forms a secretive type of game play. Heh I always have been a loner. :D

Heck, maybe it might be interesting to multiclass with rogue...

Vrath
07-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I thought it would be pretty bold, everything else considered. When I read in the opening post that "magic is rare, little understood, and feared", I immediately thought how awesome it might be to play a full-fledged magician. I am aware that Vrath might turn it down, but I didn't see anything said about the issue save it was rare, so I'm givin' it a shot.

there are no race, class, or alignment restrictions, so you can play ANY 3.5 edition class or race without having to ask permission. 3rd ed material is the only thing I'm reserving the right to veto and that's only because some of it is slightly overpowered in comparison to 3.5.

Vrath
07-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Count me in. I got dibs on a half-elf sorcerer if that is fine and dandy with you, Vrath.

If you are definately playing then please send me a pm with your email address and I will update the player count.... Only one more player after you and we can begin!

michaeljearley
07-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Two questions that everyone might run into.

1.) How are the prices of piecemail gotten. ie plate arm, chain chest, leather legs?
2.) Are you using the metal rarity or Dark Sun?

quaidbrown
07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I'll play a person, whom I will describe to you in private. My comrades will have to determine my true nature as we progress :)

Vrath
07-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Two questions that everyone should might into.

1.) How are the prices of piecemail gotten. ie plate arm, chain chest, leather legs?
2.) Are you using the metal rarity or Dark Sun?

1) excellent question, Chestpiece costs 50% of book price for full suit, all other pieces cost 10% each; ie 1 arm 10%, 1 leg 10%, helm 10% so if you buy 2arms, 2legs, chest and helm all of the same type it costs exactly book price for a full suit.

2) don't worry about metal rarity in Athas because you are not from there, nor have you ever been there before. The party will begin the campaign as strangers on a ship traveling from your homeland (Korbala, a very diverse european style continent with many different nations and races) to the distant nation of Latrobe (a smaller Australian sized continent) which is known for its plentiful gemstone mines and exotic (asian style) culture, you can make up a reason your traveling their if you want or I can do it if you prefer. What you know about Athas you've heard in stories, no one goes there and no one leaves.... it's the kind of place the rest of the world wants to avoid.

michaeljearley
07-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Welcome aboard quaidbrown

michaeljearley
07-18-2008, 11:58 AM
distant nation of Latrobe (a smaller Australian sized continent) which is known for its plentiful gemstone mines and exotic (asian style) culture.

Do they have the same arena set up?

Vrath
07-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Do they have the same arena set up?

Korbala (your homeland) has many races and nations, some have public arenas and some forbid it causing back alley secret fight clubs with illegal gambling. Latrobe has both, so you have the flexibility to create your backstory however you like.

Caligula
07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Is there a certain date by which you expect the character sheets to be in by?

Vrath
07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Is there a certain date by which you expect the character sheets to be in by?

now that we have all the players I would like to start the game sometime this coming week but I want you take your time creating a character, make it something you will really enjoy for the duration.

Caligula
07-19-2008, 01:06 PM
I hear ya. Yeah, I think I'll like this one....should be done in a couple days.

michaeljearley
07-19-2008, 04:24 PM
My Char is done Vrath, cept for that skills/feat question we were going over. If there is something, I need to adjust skills/feats. If there isn't, I have to pick feats and done.

Vrath
07-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Hey just so you don't think I've forgotten about the game, I'm waiting for the final character sheet and a sub forum to be created.

Vrath
08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Let the game begin!!
http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119

nijineko
08-05-2008, 09:24 PM
sounds very awesome. =D i'll follow this one with interest. i'm a little full myself right now, or i would have applied... so i'll just read along and enjoy!