PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns / Adventures Xprvintaal Dragon in my Game

BigUgly
07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Hopefully this hosting site works......:D
Ok here is something I have been working on the last 2 days. Hoping maybe I can get some imput suggestions on running Xorvintaal Dragons. Right now my party is in the first stages of becoming exarch's of Mistwing.
Any comments or suggestions on what I have done so far would be awesome.
Oh, one more thing.
I have looked on the web and through all of my manuals and I can't seem to find out where/how to determine the initiative for dragons.
Does anyone know where I can find this information out?
My game is AD&D 3.5 with several house rules..

Here are the two files I have created regarding Xorvintaal Dragons in my world.

One is the history of Xorvintaal Dragons:
The other is a (unfinished) list of the Xorvintaal Dragons in Milosha.

http://freepdfhosting.com/e5b1b97217.pdf
http://freepdfhosting.com/75f3f5d1db.pdf

Thanks
Allan Frost AKA: Big Ugly

kirksmithicus
07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
For some reason I can't seem to download either file. You might try a different format, perhaps HTML or maybe an attached text file.

BigUgly
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Hmm, They are just PDF's host on a file site. They are unlocked and open to the public. I'll look into it and see why they are being difficult.
They should be working now. I was making some changes at the time you where looking at them.

Big Ugly

nijineko
07-14-2008, 08:47 PM
may i suggest glancing through a chess book? also, one could approach it with a "plan three moves ahead" idea, but i rather imagine that the party will play havoc with any such plans....

so perhaps it would be a good idea to take the "i meant for that to happen" approach. make some plan, and then when the party wrecks it, after the session, spend some time to figure out how to make it so that was what the dragon wanted to happen in the first place. heck, you might not even have to make specific plans per se... no matter what they do, the dragon can just reward them for accomplishing the goal....

there are a few suggestions in the book which have merit as well. one thing i've found of use is to set up a game of chess or blitzkrieg and label each piece with a major character or item or plot point or location or similar. one piece is the party. and then move the pieces according to how the story flows. a fun way to keep track of plot threads.

ZleapingBear
07-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Hay, I hawnt looket at your PDF's yet but i will. fore the initiative. Im sure its in the MM, under dragons. but else use the initiative from the sample dragons in Draconomicon (3.5)

There also is the math methode. (Dex mod + any feat points, + any mich mod.) acording to the Draco, Dragons dossent have any special init mod.

Ps. have you seen that Dragons of the great game is made fore 3.5, they are presentet with 10 pages in MM V.

agoraderek
07-15-2008, 10:15 PM
the first link didn't work, the second did. good fluff, but it was difficult to read with the gold rolly type backround.

i would go with what zleapingbear is saying with regards to initiative.

kirksmithicus
07-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Same here, first link didn't work but the second did. The background on the document makes it a little hard on the eyes. I thought it was a really good idea and well laid out. I'd be interested in taking a look at the first link if you can get it to work :).

nijineko
07-22-2008, 06:50 PM
as far as initiative goes, it is the same as a character. the dex mod plus any misc. mods. unless you have a special reason why xorvintaal players should/would have a higher initiative than a normal dragon, then just go with standard. most dragons don't have a dex adjustment, thus they have a dex of 10, resulting in a mod of 0. this ends up with a 0 for the initiative bonus as well, unless the dragon in question has the improved initiative feat, or you as the dm add a special ability to xorvintaal playing dragons.

considering the long-term strategy and planning aspect of xorvintaal playing dragons... i would tend to say that they would have a penalty instead, due to the desire to think things out for the best advantage before acting. ^^