PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy RPG!!??

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Anyone know if there is one or does anyone play in a home-brew game?

I just saw the movie this weekend and thought it would make an excellent RPG.

fmitchell
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Anyone know if there is one or does anyone play in a home-brew game?

I just saw the movie this weekend and thought it would make an excellent RPG.

Steve Jackson Games put one out several years ago, using a simplified version of GURPS 3rd Edition. I think it's still in print.

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Steve Jackson Games put one out several years ago, using a simplified version of GURPS 3rd Edition. I think it's still in print.

Man! They really will make an RPG out of ANYTHING!

Thats cool!

Anyone play it or has played it?

occultsearcher
07-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Yea, SJG actually made a Hellboy RPG (http://sjgames.com/hellboy/). Which is in graphic novel size and full color but paper back (hardcover is oop). GURPS system is modified for the Hellboy and made a neat work in my opinion. My buddy is GMing a mission-based campaign for 20 people and LOVES the game. I love GURPS but don't know Hellboy very much. But my buddy says they captured the comics' essence in the game.
You can buy a copy in warehouse23 (http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG8111) if you want...

Webhead
07-14-2008, 01:09 PM
I too have seen the GURPS Hellboy RPG. I like Hellboy but not so much GURPS, so I gave the game a pass. I will however, offer an alternate suggestion for those looking to play a Hellboy-type game: the Buffy/Angel/Army of Darkness RPGs.

I have all three and have been making my own conversions for a campaign based on the Dresden Files books (modern day supernatural-fantasy). Between Buffy's magic system and Angel's "Create-a-monster" and "Create-an-organization" rules (which are fantastic), you have everything you need to do Hellboy. I've been trying to talk my players into something of the sort for a while now. I wanted to run a campaign based on the Nocturnals comic series which has a lot of themes in common with Hellboy.

Dang...now you've got me thinking about trying to stat up Hellboy with Buffy/Angel rules.

nijineko
07-14-2008, 05:30 PM
sort of an out of place suggestion unless you are fond or sci-fi/fantasy cross overs... but if you take a tiefling with the part minotaur and part stone golem template, maybe toss in part ogre for the stringy black hair and boost to strength... and you pretty much have hellboy incarnate. ^^ just gotta supply the attitude! =D