PDA

View Full Version : New to PBP

juventus206
07-12-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm looking to play my first pbp campaign...as I have never done anything along these lines, I'm looking for some information on how to get started. I played D&D approximately 14 years ago so I do recall on how to roll play and I understand what some of the dice rolls ect. ect. do. Ideally, I'd like to play some post-apacalyptic/Shadowrun style game. If someone could drop me a line of advise on how to get started that would be great. I'll need to by a players guild for whatever the game may be so if you guys could post the best (most popular) edition to the given game that would be great.

Igbutton
07-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Welcome to the boards.

Well Shadowrun of course is a great post-apocalyptic genre. 4th is latest edition but a lot still play 3rd.

D20 Modern/Future has a style that can be played that way but I don't see many D20 Modern games.

Cyberpunk 2020 is another that I've heard really great things about.

Gurps has just about any genre you could ever hope to play.

There are more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

To get started you of course need a group and this is a great place to look for one. Just search the campaign invitation thread and you should find something.

juventus206
07-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the reply! I've never heard of Cyberpunk 2020...anyway, is there a place online where the manuals can be downloaded or do I have to go and search through my local hobby stores?

Igbutton
07-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm sure you could download them somewhere but the Mod's kinda look down on dropping the names of the places you can pick up illegally distributed material. Can't say I blame what with the sue happy society these days.

nijineko
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
we would be happy to help you set up the online aspect of your game, just ask any questions here!

the first thing that you need to consider is "how" online you are going to be. one style of play is everyone around a table using a local network. this entails using certain tools and has certain advantages and disadvantages.

the second style of online play is real-time remote play, where some or all of the participants are not in the same location. this uses a slightly different set of tools.

the third style of play is non-real time remote play. this involves styles of play such as play-by-post. many such games are hosted here on these forums. and this style also uses a different set of tools.

once you have decided your style of play (and found yourself some books or source materials) let us know, and i'll be happy to walk you through your options. =D good luck on finding the books!