PDA

View Full Version : need new catagory

Chris House
07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
we need a new discussion catagory " westerns and Victorian Fantasies
-cASTLE FALKIENSTEAN, GO FOR YOUR GUN, Boothill & Aces and Eight!

tesral
07-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Toss Steampunk into that catagory.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Id peruse the category

Thoth-Amon

nijineko
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
steampunk always has some interesting things to peruse.

Greylond
07-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree. Call it 19th Century RPGs or something to that effect...

Aidan
07-19-2008, 01:25 AM
How about Gaslight instead of 19th century? That pretty much covers both the Victorian and early Edwardian eras.

Greylond
07-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Yea, that sounds interesting but not sure if it really makes you think of "Wild West" games...hmmm....

fmitchell
07-19-2008, 03:21 PM
I'd call it Historical/Alternate History, actually, to cover all bases: Wild West, Victorian, Steampunk, Age of Napoleon, Roma Imperious, Ice Age (played straight), etc.

There's a bit of confusion with fantasy, but the main criterion should be historical plausibility as opposed to the usual Medieval, Arabian, or Far East mishmash that usually crops up in Fantasy games. When in doubt, any "fantasy" elements should have either a folkloric or technological bent: shamanism and "ghost rock" do, but shooting fireballs from your finger doesn't.

tesral
07-19-2008, 08:31 PM
One could also add Space 1889, CoC Gaslight, B-13 Gaslight. In truth anything from a straight up Sherlock Holmes, Steampunk with mechanical men, Vampires, Gothic, it can all fit the era.

How about Tales of Otherwhen: Victoriana

Or, that could be a subcatagory of 19th Century Adventures

Tales of Otherwhen: Victoriana

Get Your Gun: Westerns

nijineko
07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
call it the age of reasoning. they reasoned that a lot of things should work... some of them actually did. ^^

Grimwell
07-22-2008, 01:45 AM
I wonder if there would be a good way to "test" other sub-forums out as a concept. It's no good if the board is DOA and gets no posts. This way Farcaster gets to see if there is a potential audience before he builds a spot that only takes space.

That's a real challenge with forums, you want to make sub-forums left and right to allow people to have focused conversations, but if you do it too much, nobody talks.

Steam would be cool though, if there is support.

fmitchell
07-22-2008, 02:19 AM
I wonder if there would be a good way to "test" other sub-forums out as a concept. It's no good if the board is DOA and gets no posts. This way Farcaster gets to see if there is a potential audience before he builds a spot that only takes space.

Perhaps prefixes for other eras or game systems could indicate sufficient support for a new forum.

I've been stuck for ways to stimulate discussion in the Modern/Universal topics. A "Specific Genre or System Discussion" category there, with prefixes for said genres/systems, might be a test-bed for any future forums. (Let's face it, d20 Modern is dead, or at least sleeping until WotC releases its new Modern SRD.) If Farcaster does not want to create a plethora of new prefixes, we can decree that each creator of a new thread adds his own prefix.

fmitchell
07-22-2008, 02:16 PM
As an experiment, let's try discussing all genres and games that fit nowhere else in Modern/Universal Games -> Generic and Universal Discussion. A manually added prefix to each new thread will indicate the genre or game being discussed.

For more details, see "Specific and Particular Discussion" (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=39152).

spotlight
07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
How about this idea. Start a thread with a poll about which 'Historical, Alternate
RPG' that you like. That would give Farcaster an idea about how much intrest another sector would draw. Of course there are a couple I would vote on, just not played many.

nijineko
07-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Steam would be cool though, if there is support.

that really all depends on your boiler pressure, now doesn't it.... :drum:

Greylond
07-22-2008, 09:16 PM
How about this idea. Start a thread with a poll about which 'Historical, Alternate
RPG' that you like. That would give Farcaster an idea about how much intrest another sector would draw. Of course there are a couple I would vote on, just not played many.

I would but I don't seem to have the ability to create a poll yet...

fmitchell
07-22-2008, 11:57 PM
How about this idea. Start a thread with a poll about which 'Historical, Alternate RPG' that you like. That would give Farcaster an idea about how much intrest another sector would draw. Of course there are a couple I would vote on, just not played many.

I think Farcaster's point is that, while there may be many systems/genres that people like, there may not be enough conversation about those games or genres to warrant creating another subforum. Hence my "Specific and Particular" experiment.

In fact, if Farcaster were redoing these forums, he might have created only two: D&D and Everything Else.

spotlight
07-25-2008, 04:39 PM
D&D and Everthing Else. ????? Are you kidding me? I just got my first Munchin in Space set (and #2) yesterday, and yer callin' it Everything Else? I'd call that narrow minded. But then maybe all us are narrow minded talk'n about games all th' time, huh?

nijineko
07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
it's all about the range of experience. are you a multi-class gamer, or a pure base class gamer. ;D

Chris House
07-29-2008, 11:19 AM
well I only proposed it to simulate my late interest in the Aces and eight game. i ALSO ENJOY Castle Falkenstein, Coc BY Gaslight, I like the Genea, but i also saw some one encompuse the space 1889 and Coc INTO A GREAT SETTING TOO, BUT LETS NOT FORGET, Forgotten futures a very nice science fictions game that failed only because it published on the Internet and sold books and found it could not do both, that is give the book away free and sell the the book because it would seem most gamers had internet acess!
early 2000's.
its still out their and it a fair game check it out!

http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/index.htm

nijineko
08-03-2008, 03:08 PM
cool! thanks! looks interesting. especially the old space opera and other proto-sci-fi works. =D