PDA

View Full Version : Bestiary Tanuki -- Races of Thindacarulle

tesral
07-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Tanuki
Tanuki are the latest race of people to rise on Greyhawke. They are slender creatures with the appearance of a bipedal raccoon with a long, bushy, prehensile tail. Tanuki have no language of their own. Most are fluent in Elven, Gallic, and Common. Their main form of communication among themselves is telepathy. Because of this all Tanuki take a rider for being low psionic with one power. If the chose to have more psionic ability they must always have telepathy as one of their powers.

Tanuki have a society that can generously be described as developing. The race is only a few generations old. Many of the first generation were members of other races that chose to become Tanuki for various reasons. The most common of which was to escape infirmity or disability. The race is gregarious to a fault and sometime overly friendly with strangers. They feel a deep need to prove them selves to the rest of the world. Some of this 'friendliness' causes problems with other races. For instance, Tanuki cannot seem to understand the Elven need for space. How can you get to know a person is you can't touch them and take in their scent.

Tanuki have no physical modesty. They will not wear any clothing that they find restrictive. Vests with pockets belt pouches and other utilitarian items are worn. They will choose to wear heavier clothing for protection against hostile environments or for style.

Tanuki Life
Tanuki gestation last seven and a half months. Child birth is a time of great excitement as another chance to secure their future comes into being. Single births are the rule. Twins are possible. Young are carefully watched and cared primarily by the birth parents but also by the rest of the family. Young are born blind and nearly hairless but they develop quickly. Within six weeks they are able to move about on their own and are into everything. Fortunately for the parents they sleep about twelve hours a day until their nearly a year old. Schooling is handled through the parent, hired tutor, or local public schools if they are available. When they reach about age twenty they settle down to a start a family. Tanuki will engage in casual physical relationships with any willing partner even after they have taken mates. However, they reserve the task of producing young with those that they have chosen to share their life with. There are more females born than males and their marriages reflect this. The average family is a male, two or three females, and young. It is not unheard of for a female to occasionally marry more than one male. Betrothal comes first. The couple set up their housekeeping and business. It is in vogue to set up a roadside inn. Tanuki may sometimes choose to change their profession later in life as situations, or interests, change. The couple also makes an effort to produce a child. The marriage cannot be officially recognized until the female shows signs of pregnancy. The marriage takes place around the fifth mouth of pregnancy. The ceremony like most Tanuki culture is borrowed from the local human style.

Tanuki remain vibrant and active for their adult life. Around the age of ninety the elder begins to rapidly show their age as is they are paid in spades for the extended youth of their middle years. When they hit their downward spiral the end comes quickly. Many Tanuki at this age suffer a weakening disorder in their bones. They become prone to breaks that are slow or incapable of healing properly. Death's arrival is often welcome.

Tanuki Politics
Tanuki have no lands or nations of their own. Most live in the empire of Coranth in and around Saxony. A few others have immigrated to Eyrie, mostly in the Woodmanor area. Interest in politics is on an individual basis as regards the policies of their local kings and government. Each settlement does have a Patriarch or Matriarch that is chosen by the local Tanuki in the community. These people are charged with handling the occasional in-family dispute, and representing their people's interests in the local government.

Tanuki Art and Culture
Tanuki art mimics aspects of the art of other cultures, picking up bits and pieces of other people's style and making it their own. They have a peculiar form of music that they play with magical instruments that seems to be catching on a bit with adventurers.

Tanuki make their homes in woodlands on the outskirts of towns. They build elaborate tree villages that bear a resemblance to Leoman clan house. Tanuki are a people still finding themselves in the world and it will be some time before they developed a cultural and artist image distinctly their own.

Tanuki Religion
Tanuki have no patron god yet. Most worship Shadowhawk, The Illuminati, or the Church of Creation.

Tanuki Race
Tanuki Stand between 4'10" and 5'10" they are small of build. Their eyes are red and they sport a mane of hair that grows in Human fashion. Color is usually black, but white red, blond, and gray are possible. Tanuki stand on digitigrade legs and have clawed hands and feet that are perfect for climbing. Their tails are prehensile and can be use to hang from branches and the like. Tanuki are partly nocturnal and have lowlight vision. This means that in as little as starlight they can see clearly as in daylight. Under this condition they lose color vision. If there is no light present they are unable to see. Their ears are very long and swivel about as they track the sounds of their environment. Like most furred creatures Tanuki sport a tougher hide than most humanoids and receive a +2 natural armor bonus. They will however usually shun all but the lightest armor. They have a keen sense of smell and can recognize people by scent alone. Tanuki bodies are very light weight. The material of their bones is much stronger but is less dense. The result is the same tensile strength of human bones at much less weight. This makes them light enough for easy brachiation but also make them easy to throw around in a fight.

Game Information

Minimum Stats
Str: 3
Con: 6
Dex: 13
Int: 3
Wis: 6
Cha: 10

Age of Maturity: 20
Lifespan Roll: 90 + 3d10

Saving Throws
Fort: -1
Reflex: +2
Will: -1
Mental: All Tanuki are Psionic. (I'll be presenting my Psionic systme by the by.)

Tanuki stand between 4'10" and 5'10" they are small of build. Their eyes are red and they sport a mane of hair that grows in Human fashion. Color is usually black, but white red, blonde, and gray are possible. Tanuki stand on digigrade legs and have clawed hands and feet that are perfect for climbing. Their tails are perhensial and can be use to hang from branches and the like. Tanuki are partly nocternal and have lowlight vision 60 foot. If there is no light present they are unable to see. Their ears are very long and swivel about as they track the sounds of their environment. Like most furred creatures They will shun all but the lightest armors. They have a keen sense of smell and can recognize people by scent alone. Tanuki bodies are very light weight. The material of their bones is much stronger but is less dense. The result is the same tensile strength of human bones at much less weight. This makes them light enough for easy brachiation but also makes them easy to throw around in a fight.

Height and Weight: Females and Males are the same weight for their height. Average is 5'6", range is 4'10" to 5'10" build runs from slight to medium.
Tanuki add the following weight for each strength point over 14, by build;

Slight Slender Medium
2 3 5
Height Weight by Build
Slight Slender Medium
4'10 67-72 71-78 77-82
5'0" 71-78 77-82 81-88
5'2" 77-82 81-88 87-92
5'4" 81-88 87-92 91-98
5'6" 87-92 91-98 97-102
5'8" 91-98 97-102 101-108
5'10" 97-102 101-108 107-112

nijineko
07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
yea!!! *sits down to read*

of casual interest, having lived in japan and having had opportunity to observe living tanuki, they look like a fox and a racoon had a kid. literally. they have the redish (kinda redish-brown, really) fur of a fox, big bushy tails, slender build of a fox, and a racoon's face band and posture and hands. i don't know if there are any regional variants or not. tanuki in japanese culture are usually depicted as standing up, with a huge container of sake, and an enormous scrotum. makes for interesting speculation among foreigners. i have seen anime in which tanuki have been shown having a range of colors including brown and even spots or a stripe.

setting all that aside, wonderful writeup! keep up the details! simply a joy to read. =D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Tanuki
Tanuki are the latest race of people to rise on Greyhawke. They are slender creatures with the appearance of a bipedal raccoon with a long, bushy, prehensile tail. Tanuki have no language of their own. Most are fluent in Elven, Gallic, and Common. Their main form of communication among themselves is telepathy. Because of this all Tanuki take a rider for being low psionic with one power. If the chose to have more psionic ability they must always have telepathy as one of their powers.

Tanuki have a society that can generously be described as developing. The race is only a few generations old. Many of the first generation were members of other races that chose to become Tanuki for various reasons. The most common of which was to escape infirmity or disability. The race is gregarious to a fault and sometime overly friendly with strangers. They feel a deep need to prove them selves to the rest of the world. Some of this 'friendliness' causes problems with other races. For instance, Tanuki cannot seem to understand the Elven need for space. How can you get to know a person is you can't touch them and take in their scent.

Tanuki have no physical modesty. They will not wear any clothing that they find restrictive. Vests with pockets belt pouches and other utilitarian items are worn. They will choose to wear heavier clothing for protection against hostile environments or for style.

Tanuki Life
Tanuki gestation last seven and a half months. Child birth is a time of great excitement as another chance to secure their future comes into being. Single births are the rule. Twins are possible. Young are carefully watched and cared primarily by the birth parents but also by the rest of the family. Young are born blind and nearly hairless but they develop quickly. Within six weeks they are able to move about on their own and are into everything. Fortunately for the parents they sleep about twelve hours a day until their nearly a year old. Schooling is handled through the parent, hired tutor, or local public schools if they are available. When they reach about age twenty they settle down to a start a family. Tanuki will engage in casual physical relationships with any willing partner even after they have taken mates. However, they reserve the task of producing young with those that they have chosen to share their life with. There are more females born than males and their marriages reflect this. The average family is a male, two or three females, and young. It is not unheard of for a female to occasionally marry more than one male. Betrothal comes first. The couple set up their housekeeping and business. It is in vogue to set up a roadside inn. Tanuki may sometimes choose to change their profession later in life as situations, or interests, change. The couple also makes an effort to produce a child. The marriage cannot be officially recognized until the female shows signs of pregnancy. The marriage takes place around the fifth mouth of pregnancy. The ceremony like most Tanuki culture is borrowed from the local human style.

Tanuki remain vibrant and active for their adult life. Around the age of ninety the elder begins to rapidly show their age as is they are paid in spades for the extended youth of their middle years. When they hit their downward spiral the end comes quickly. Many Tanuki at this age suffer a weakening disorder in their bones. They become prone to breaks that are slow or incapable of healing properly. Death's arrival is often welcome.

Tanuki Politics
Tanuki have no lands or nations of their own. Most live in the empire of Coranth in and around Saxony. A few others have immigrated to Eyrie, mostly in the Woodmanor area. Interest in politics is on an individual basis as regards the policies of their local kings and government. Each settlement does have a Patriarch or Matriarch that is chosen by the local Tanuki in the community. These people are charged with handling the occasional in-family dispute, and representing their people's interests in the local government.

Tanuki Art and Culture
Tanuki art mimics aspects of the art of other cultures, picking up bits and pieces of other people's style and making it their own. They have a peculiar form of music that they play with magical instruments that seems to be catching on a bit with adventurers.

Tanuki make their homes in woodlands on the outskirts of towns. They build elaborate tree villages that bear a resemblance to Leoman clan house. Tanuki are a people still finding themselves in the world and it will be some time before they developed a cultural and artist image distinctly their own.

Tanuki Religion
Tanuki have no patron god yet. Most worship Shadowhawk, The Illuminati, or the Church of Creation.

Tanuki Race
Tanuki Stand between 4'10" and 5'10" they are small of build. Their eyes are red and they sport a mane of hair that grows in Human fashion. Color is usually black, but white red, blond, and gray are possible. Tanuki stand on digitigrade legs and have clawed hands and feet that are perfect for climbing. Their tails are prehensile and can be use to hang from branches and the like. Tanuki are partly nocturnal and have lowlight vision. This means that in as little as starlight they can see clearly as in daylight. Under this condition they lose color vision. If there is no light present they are unable to see. Their ears are very long and swivel about as they track the sounds of their environment. Like most furred creatures Tanuki sport a tougher hide than most humanoids and receive a +2 natural armor bonus. They will however usually shun all but the lightest armor. They have a keen sense of smell and can recognize people by scent alone. Tanuki bodies are very light weight. The material of their bones is much stronger but is less dense. The result is the same tensile strength of human bones at much less weight. This makes them light enough for easy brachiation but also make them easy to throw around in a fight.

Game Information

Minimum Stats
Str: 3
Con: 6
Dex: 13
Int: 3
Wis: 6
Cha: 10

Age of Maturity: 20
Lifespan Roll: 90 + 3d10

Saving Throws
Fort: -1
Reflex: +2
Will: -1
Mental: All Tanuki are Psionic. (I'll be presenting my Psionic systme by the by.)

Tanuki stand between 4'10" and 5'10" they are small of build. Their eyes are red and they sport a mane of hair that grows in Human fashion. Color is usually black, but white red, blonde, and gray are possible. Tanuki stand on digigrade legs and have clawed hands and feet that are perfect for climbing. Their tails are perhensial and can be use to hang from branches and the like. Tanuki are partly nocternal and have lowlight vision 60 foot. If there is no light present they are unable to see. Their ears are very long and swivel about as they track the sounds of their environment. Like most furred creatures They will shun all but the lightest armors. They have a keen sense of smell and can recognize people by scent alone. Tanuki bodies are very light weight. The material of their bones is much stronger but is less dense. The result is the same tensile strength of human bones at much less weight. This makes them light enough for easy brachiation but also makes them easy to throw around in a fight.

Height and Weight: Females and Males are the same weight for their height. Average is 5'6", range is 4'10" to 5'10" build runs from slight to medium.
Tanuki add the following weight for each strength point over 14, by build;

Slight Slender Medium
2 3 5
Height Weight by Build
Slight Slender Medium
4'10 67-72 71-78 77-82
5'0" 71-78 77-82 81-88
5'2" 77-82 81-88 87-92
5'4" 81-88 87-92 91-98
5'6" 87-92 91-98 97-102
5'8" 91-98 97-102 101-108
5'10" 97-102 101-108 107-112
Thanks for posting, tesral. I found it to be an interesting read.

Thoth-Amon

tesral
07-14-2008, 11:24 PM
yea!!! *sits down to read*

of casual interest, having lived in japan and having had opportunity to observe living tanuki, they look like a fox and a racoon had a kid. literally. they have the redish (kinda redish-brown, really) fur of a fox, big bushy tails, slender build of a fox, and a racoon's face band and posture and hands. i don't know if there are any regional variants or not. tanuki in japanese culture are usually depicted as standing up, with a huge container of sake, and an enormous scrotum. makes for interesting speculation among foreigners. i have seen anime in which tanuki have been shown having a range of colors including brown and even spots or a stripe.

setting all that aside, wonderful writeup! keep up the details! simply a joy to read. =D

I love to hear that. Thank you.

As to how traditionally Japanese my Tanuki are, I think it is safe to say, not. My son decided to call them that as his character was the first of the type. Far more coon and much less dog or fox. One seldom sees sake or scrotums. I am familiar with the Japanese folklore version of the tanuki.

There is a picture here* (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/cyrilla.gif). I didn't put it inline in case anyone was horrified by furred nudity.

* WARNING: Furred nudity, clicking on the above link implies an agreement that you have no right to be offended, not that I actually care. If you are under age run away at once, hide under the bed, do not come out until actually 18 or older, say 57.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-15-2008, 02:12 AM
I've always been partial to the dire jackelopes in my games. Sure, they are fine when domesticated, but you run into one in the wild, you WILL be gored to death. Deady fast, deady quiet... deady killers.

A never before seen pic... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jackalope.com/GRAPHICS/jackalope_rider.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jackalope.com/legend_of_jackalope.html&h=249&w=250&sz=71&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=EC2RizNksAcDxM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djackalopes%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26newwi ndow%3D1%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

Shhh, you hear something? Run, run, run!!!

Thoth-Amon

nijineko
07-22-2008, 06:41 PM
heheheh. i didn't happen to check out the link, but then i've already seen it in person when i lived in japan. not for the faint-hearted.

BrotherDog
05-11-2009, 02:57 AM
I've always been partial to the dire jackelopes in my games. Sure, they are fine when domesticated, but you run into one in the wild, you WILL be gored to death. Deady fast, deady quiet... deady killers.

A never before seen pic... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jackalope.com/GRAPHICS/jackalope_rider.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jackalope.com/legend_of_jackalope.html&h=249&w=250&sz=71&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=EC2RizNksAcDxM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djackalopes%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26newwi ndow%3D1%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

Shhh, you hear something? Run, run, run!!!

Thoth-Amon

That picture was taken less than 10 miles from where I live. One can still get your picture taken on the jackalope.

Have you ever seen the anthro-Jackalope race on the older WitC site? I can't seem to find it anymore. Some of how it was setup reminded allot of the Gammaworld Hoop.

Tesral: Are these guys meant to replace the Phanatons?

tesral
05-11-2009, 03:22 AM
No they came up as a result of a unique character who was a mix of Pinocchio and the Man who fell to Earth. A magician found a damaged serving droid that would normally be dressed up in a coon suit. He fixed the beast to the best of his more biologically based abilities. The result was a mix of technology and life. Titanium bones with flesh over them, a brain that was a mix of biological and very high tech crystal computer.

Evan went on to adventure and get favors from the powers that be. He wanted a mate and a people of his own kind. Tanuki are the result. Evan remains the only one a mix of technology and flesh, the rest are normal people.

Malruhn
05-11-2009, 10:28 PM
May I rain on the Tesral parade for a moment?

A bushy tail is not conducive to prehensile...ness. It would be like wearing uber-thick, foam-filled mittens with no thumbs on your hands.

I realize this is a fantasy race (stolen from anime, perhaps?), but I'm all about physics and biology making sense.

It would be one thing for that tail to wrap around things to maintain balance - or to crudely pull things toward you - but to actually grab stuff and use it (even grabbing a branch from which to hang, while you are shooting the bad guys) just ain't gonna happen.

And I don't know who's art that was, but that was NIIIIiiiiice! Very well done!

tesral
05-12-2009, 06:01 AM
The tail was not my idea. Yes, you are right, but we have it none the less.