PDA

View Full Version : Sword-chucks, YO!

Igbutton
07-11-2008, 02:30 PM
If don't know what I'm talking about, Sword-Chucks are the invention of Fighter from the comic 8-Bit Theater which is based on the first Final Fantasy game.

Here a wikipedia link for more info about the series and sword-chucks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-Bit_Theater#Recurring_elements

Anyways I have a friend that's in a ridiculously over-the-top Dnd 3.5 campaign and he is wondering how to stat these. He's intending to duel-wield them.

I thought a community of so many DM's would be able to give some good ideas.

Tomcat1066
07-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I want to learn to weaponsmith just to make some sword-chucks!

dalenvec
07-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Thats just got bad writen all over it.:peep:

ryan973
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Hee hee

Ok with all the other messed up strange and unpractical weapons that exist in DnD i sapose i could handle these. I woul dprobably stat them this way mainly for balance perposes.

Exotic weapon- Well becouse there sword chucks
DMG: small 1d3, med 1d4, Lrg 1d6, with a crit range of 18 to 20 x2, slashing of course.
then i would allow improved trip with them as there flail like weapons and to add flaver. Oh and have them count as light weapons for the perpose of wpn finesse.

Now if you dont want to add the improved trip but still want them to be exotic then i would take the damage up a bit to match a scimitar. I know wheat your thinking " But dude then there the same thing as a scimitar so whats the point of them being exotic and having to waste a feat to get them. well becouse you can use them as light weapons silly. wich you cant do with a scimitar. ( unless you take two levels in dervish, from complete warrior i beleave.)

Webhead
07-11-2008, 04:01 PM
"The true power of the sword-chucks lies not in the sword, nor in the chuck, but in the synthesis of the two"...;)

I would make them an Exotic double weapon that deals d8 damage, has a 19-20/x2 critical, is considered a light weapon, and allows one to make trip attacks. However, I would also apply the additional rules:

In addition to the normal penalties, if a non-proficient character who wields sword-chucks misses with an attack and the (unmodified) die roll was "5" or less, the character strikes himself with the sword-chucks instead. A proficient character only strikes himself with the weapon in this manner if he rolls a "natural 1" on his attack roll.

Tomcat1066
07-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I would rule that anyone they are used against would have to roll a will save versus giggle-fit ;)

Kilrex
07-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I would make them have same dam and crit as short swords. 10 ft reach, +2 to trip attempts. Or if you use the dagger dam and crit allow them to be used as light weapons.

Of course, need Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Sword Chucks to use the dagger and short sword variety. If you want to use both ends in a round, need Two Weapon Fighting. If you want dam and crit of 2 long swords, need Improved Extic Weapon Prof: Sword Chucks. If you want another increase to greatsword, need to add Monkey Grip and Master Exotic Weapon Prof: Sword Chucks.

Genzodus Thoth
07-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I actually thought of this a while ago, and this is what I came up with:

Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Sword Chucks)
Requirements: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (CAdv)

Sword Chucks: 150 gp, 2d6/2d6, crit x3, 25 lbs.

First, I really thought about Fighter's personality. He liked dealing as much damage as possible, so I thought that he would dual-wield bastard swords. In order to do that, he would already have that proficiency and Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting. Sword Chucks would have to be an improvement on that, ignoring the fact that he can dual-wield a double weapon. Since OTWF makes the other side being a light weapon redundant and also makes it do less damage, I left both ends as one-handed weapons. Finally, I increased the damage so that it was actually better than just using two bastard swords and to allow for the weight of the chain. Also, I changed the critical, seeing as how it was more like an ax than a sword.

Addis Hellfire
07-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Er . . . . would Sword-chucks ever actually get created? I mean, won't Black Mage just kill off anybody who tries to make them?

Webhead
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Er . . . . would Sword-chucks ever actually get created? I mean, won't Black Mage just kill off anybody who tries to make them?

Yes, but we've seen how competent Black Mage is at killing Fighter and making sure he stays dead...

How many stabs to the head has Fighter endured thus far?

Igbutton
07-13-2008, 01:22 AM
I've seen Brian Clevinger say in a podcast that a martial arts weapon master created a pair and managed to hurt rather badly with them.

So maybe BM is working to prevent there manufacture...

Mead
07-13-2008, 02:08 PM
I've seen Brian Clevinger say in a podcast that a martial arts weapon master created a pair and managed to hurt rather badly with them.

So maybe BM is working to prevent there manufacture...

Hurt who, himself? Someone else? My money would be on himself or any nearby allies :lol:

Igbutton
07-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I should proofread my posts better.

He hurt himself.

Stormhound
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
How much sword could a sword-chucker chuck if a sword-chucker could chuck swords?

I already know how I'd react to a player asking for something like this... :laser:

Engar
07-13-2008, 10:22 PM
I would allow them without proficiency or very difficult and time consuming proficiency. Some in the form of questing for adequate trainers who must be convinced to take on the project at great cost, paying huge sums to master weaponsmiths to forge and reforge seeking proper balance and weight and testing various expensive materials. It will be necessary to provide facilities and additional subjects to test and practice techniques and methods, all these people must be provided room and board as well as paid. Of course moral will certainly fall once a few are maimed or killed. Priests may be needed in reserve for emergencies to keep everything working. Priests naturally require significant tithes and definitely bring countless ideological concerns. They might outright refuse to heal non-believers and definitely will refuse those following opposed dieties. Get a few trainers who follow Hextor and a few priests of Heironeous together in the mess and...

Non-proficiency? Let's see, what is that old d6 rule about non-proficient use of a lightsaber? I think it was roll d6, 1-3 do your damage to the opponent, 4-6 do the damage to yourself. That sounds about right.

Webhead
07-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Non-proficiency? Let's see, what is that old d6 rule about non-proficient use of a lightsaber? I think it was roll d6, 1-3 do your damage to the opponent, 4-6 do the damage to yourself. That sounds about right.

Interestingly enough, that's what I was thinking about when I made my rules suggestions above! :D

The basic idea: "Anyone can try to use a lightsaber/sword chucks...just don't screw up and you'll get to keep all your limbs!" :whoo:

agoraderek
07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Hee hee

Ok with all the other messed up strange and unpractical weapons that exist in DnD...

they do come up with some doozies...