PDA

View Full Version : D&D D&D 4th Edition PDFs available

PnP News Bot
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

D&D 4th Edition PDFs available (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080709)

Wizards of the Coast announces that digital versions of D&D 4th Edition roleplaying game products and supplements will be available for sale as PDF downloads at DriveThruRPG and RPGNow. The products will be DRM-free and watermarked.

Kelbin
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
That is good news!

Maelstrom
07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
That's quite surprising.

Farcaster
07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, I would think that digital pirating would go WAY up now.

agoraderek
07-09-2008, 06:21 PM

the books have been on the torrents since before they were in stores, so i dont see much of a change, piracy wise...

tesral
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
That's quite surprising.

Indeed. I can't say I saw that coming at all.

Engar
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
A wise move. At least someone wanting it digital now has an option to get it legitimately and WotC can profit from it.

ronpyatt
07-10-2008, 01:03 AM
This is wonderful news. I'm going to purchase at least one copy.

fmitchell
07-10-2008, 04:37 AM

Except that the files are watermarked, so if the file is pirated they can easily trace it back to the customer who let it loose. (Unless someone hacks the PDF and removes the watermark ... I don't know how hard that would be.)

tesral
07-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Except that the files are watermarked, so if the file is pirated they can easily trace it back to the customer who let it loose. (Unless someone hacks the PDF and removes the watermark ... I don't know how hard that would be.)

Easier than you might think really. Any decent coder can do it. (I'm not any kind of coder.) 90% of the people are not going to know how. Worse, unwatermarked versions are already out there. Someone put a high quality PDF out before Lizards had the print copies on the shelf. One of the "joys" of sending everything to China.

I would assume they have locked down the PDF. Adobe Acrobat allows you to implement several levels of "don't touch this". Anything from creating a true read only document to something you can reopen and edit.

My last version of Acrobat was 5. PDF creators in Linux are plentiful and free so I don't use it anymore.