PDA

View Full Version : D&D Ask Wizards: 07/08/2008 (Sleep vs. Undead, Contructs, Oozes)

PnP News Bot
07-08-2008, 12:21 AM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Ask Wizards: 07/08/2008 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ask/20080708a)

The spell sleep does not say in their target line that they affect only living creatures. Do these spells work against constructs, oozes, and undead?

Farcaster
07-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Wow. That is a surprising answer. I'm surprised that Sleep didn't specifically exclude undead and such.

fmitchell
07-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Wow. That is a surprising answer. I'm surprised that Sleep didn't specifically exclude undead and such.

I guess it's part of their ongoing simplification, but I would have thought that things which don't sleep won't succumb to a sleep spell.

Unless mummies need their eight hours or they're dragging all day. :drum:

And imagine those insomniac zombies walking around like ... like ...

boulet
07-08-2008, 01:05 AM
There is hope for Tesral !

[Edit : I know : this joke is getting old, but damn I like it !]

ronpyatt
07-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes! This is good news for wizards. It's like magic! The sleep spell makes so much more sense now. It is magic after all. The old spell was almost pseudo-science by comparison.

The warforged and other PC races that do not need sleep are not immune to this spell.

Farcaster
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
The warforged and other PC races that do not need sleep are not immune to this spell.

But, ... Undead? Really?

fmitchell
07-08-2008, 11:07 AM

But, ... Undead? Really?

I don't see why undead should be different from constructs, especially since most of them have dormant periods: vampire torpor, the uneasy repose of noncorporeal undead, those quiet times when the smell of the living doesn't intrude on zombie consciousness, etc.

At least undead were once humans (or other living entities) who needed to sleep; perhaps the spell deludes them into thinking they need it again. Constructs and oozes bother me more, although I guess they also have their dormant periods.

From a game perspective, while I can appreciate the rules simplification, I'm sure some old D&D hands will resent having some spells not be useless if they encounter a specific type of monster. Maybe the more sadistic DMs. ("Aha, it's really an ogre trapped in a gelatinous cube! Muahahahahaha!")

MooseAlmighty
07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
They probably should have given it a new name. That would allow the desired game effect without people literally thinking "sleep? zombies get tired? long day at work?"

'course there were probably others arguing to keep the name since Sleep and Magic Missile are burned into everyone's brains as D&D starting spells.

spotlight
07-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, shoot. If one is worrying about that kind of detail accuracy, maybe one should try renaming the spell. To effect 'non-living' creatures and animates, name the new spell 'Dormancy' and be done with it.

ronpyatt
07-08-2008, 11:31 PM
But, ... Undead? Really?
Well... yes. Taking the science (reasoning) out of a magic system really adds fantasy flavor. It's magic!

Reading through the spell lets you know that your targets are not just asleep but totally knocked out with magical weariness. A.K.A. "sleep". That must be where they get the phrase "wake the dead".

fmitchell
07-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Well, shoot. If one is worrying about that kind of detail accuracy, maybe one should try renaming the spell. To effect 'non-living' creatures and animates, name the new spell 'Dormancy' and be done with it.

Dormancy comes from Latin "dormire", which means to SLEEEEEEEEEEP! (Sorry, MST3K flashback.)

Hey, let's rename all the spells with Doctor Who technobabble! Thus "Sleep" becomes "Suppress Consciousness Through Simulated Delta-Wave Induction!"

The Doctor: Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink.
Mickey: What's that?
The Doctor: No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say "magic door".

spotlight
07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Gez, Crimminy. As much as I love all the 'Doctors', that really cuts. Now all can see why I rarly look at threads started by that @$#%^ newsbot.