PDA

View Full Version : How much GMing

boulet
07-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I thought a poll about how much GMing members spend when gaming existed. But I didn't find any so.... What ratio of your RPG time is devoted to being a Game Master ?

Engar
07-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I chose for overall rather than right now.

wizard_in_motley
07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I ran two years of weekly sessions and another two years of bi-weekly sessions for the two big campaigns I've run, then lots of smaller stuff and one-shots. I don't think I'd ever log that much time as a player!

tesral
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Previous to last year it was 100% for over a decade. I am playing again and consider it is improving my game. You get to the point you're sitting only in your own little world. You need to get out and do other things.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I thought a poll about how much GMing members spend when gaming existed. But I didn't find any so.... What ratio of your RPG time is devoted to being a Game Master ?
I spend about 50% behind the GM screen. I'd spend more time but most of my fellow players, both down south(So. Cal.) and up north(Oakland area) have been playing for at least 15 years, 20 years being the average.

Thoth-Amon

trechriron
07-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Full time GM with an occasional break. I love to GM. It's my thing. :D

Tomcat1066
07-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm primarily a player, though I GM some, so I spend very little time doing it. I'm not very good at combat encounters (as I've said in a couple of other threads today actually), so I tend to let those who are better at it GM. Besides, most of the GMs I know seem to like GMing more than I do anyways ;)

Bearfoot_Adam
07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I mostly play but have put together the game or two. Right now I have a Buffy game I'm running. I feel I can give everybody a better gameing experiance from the players side of the screen.

praksis
07-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Dedicated player. I've tried running 2 games, and I'm quite convinced I can't tell a story to save my life. Will never give in to running hack 'n slash, so GMing is pretty much off the table for me... to the continued anoyance of several friends, even when they're in different cities now :)

Freejack
07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
I like GMing. I've played and I don't like just sitting around which happens. You can't have everything going your way all the time, unless you're GMing :)

Carl

cplmac
07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Until I find someone else that wants to give it a try, I'll be the DM. I like to see what trail the party decides to follow.

agoraderek
07-08-2008, 07:44 PM
i've dm'd about 90% of the time the last few years, 50% for a few years before that, 100% for about ten years before that, and 50% from the beginning through high school...

Mead
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
No idea. I've done a lot of both, although I only ran 1e and 2e. And a few months of Deadlands. Call it 50/50 for a wild guess.

starfalconkd
07-09-2008, 07:34 AM
I mostly gm but I miss being a player. I'm probably rusty.

tesral
07-09-2008, 09:30 AM

A little WD-40 you'll be good as new.

Webhead
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
A little WD-40 you'll be good as new.

Ah, WD-40...the Magic Bullet. Keep a can of that and a roll of duct tape on you at all times (and a towel, of course) and you're prepared for just about any eventuality including, but not limited to, nuclear apocalypse.

cplmac
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Ah, WD-40...the Magic Bullet. Keep a can of that and a roll of duct tape on you at all times (and a towel, of course) and you're prepared for just about any eventuality including, but not limited to, nuclear apocalypse.

Add a hammer to the list and with the three items, you can fix anything.:biggrin:

tesral
07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Add a hammer to the list and with the three items, you can fix anything.:biggrin:

Knife. Must have a knife.

boulet
07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
* puts on his exorcist outfit *

In the name of the holy geek, I command you Mac Gyver to go back to the pits of hell !!!
:flypig:

tesral
07-09-2008, 04:20 PM
* puts on his exorcist outfit *

In the name of the holy geek, I command you Mac Gyver to go back to the pits of hell !!!
:flypig:

I carry two leatherman multitools and a Gerber lockback.

starfalconkd
07-10-2008, 07:23 AM

Ah, but are they useful for a zombie apocalypse?

Webhead
07-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Ah, but are they useful for a zombie apocalypse?

Yes. My brother has confirmed this through rigorous testing...:tinfoil3:

Ramzei
07-10-2008, 09:23 AM
At the time of this posting half of the people that voted are behind the screen 80-100% of the time. Ouch. I love playing so much that I have only ever run one session. It was with 2 people that had never played before and they hated it. Which is probably why I havent tried it again. Odd, I hadn't thought of that in the 14 years since I tried it. :confused:

boulet
07-10-2008, 11:03 AM
At the time of this posting half of the people that voted are behind the screen 80-100% of the time. Ouch. I love playing so much that I have only ever run one session. It was with 2 people that had never played before and they hated it. Which is probably why I havent tried it again. Odd, I hadn't thought of that in the 14 years since I tried it. :confused:

You can't expect to be good at GMing at your first try ! Every GM sucked at the beginning and then climbed that learning curve. Even if you have observed how good GMs work for a long time. It's difficult to know after only one session with 2 newbies if you really aren't the GM type or if it's just a matter of giving it another go. Maybe some experienced players, who have run games, would be more patient and ready to help you if you ever want to try again.

shilar
07-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Same here I actually prefer to play but most of my groups since the turn of the century have all been new players so I always end up as GM/teacher. I do love running old school WoD but I have had to do so much of it I am almost desperate to play again.

Ramzei
07-11-2008, 11:35 PM
You can't expect to be good at GMing at your first try ! Every GM sucked at the beginning and then climbed that learning curve. Even if you have observed how good GMs work for a long time. It's difficult to know after only one session with 2 newbies if you really aren't the GM type or if it's just a matter of giving it another go. Maybe some experienced players, who have run games, would be more patient and ready to help you if you ever want to try again.

I think I am primed, just haven't taken that last step. I love the 2e game, I own a large percentage of what TSR put out over the years, am generally creative, have the time to put the thought, planning, revising, re-revising in and really want to game again.

Hi, my name is Gary, and I'm an addict.

Hi Gary!

I have not had a session in a month, and it is getting harder by the day to stay away...

Enough of that. :p We'll see how it plays out in the coming weeks. Aside from fear of running a not fun game/campaign or whatever is trying to do it without my library nearby. I currently can't game at my house as there is no place for me to game at the moment. I would need a place where a group wouldn't disturb my wife and almost 3 year old son. I plan on building a gaming room somewhere, but I have to wait until I can afford to do so. Even if I dont end up running one, it would be a great place to play regardless. I have an extensive list of ideas, that could probably be another thread entirely.

jayphailey
07-11-2008, 11:47 PM
You can't expect to be good at GMing at your first try ! Every GM sucked at the beginning and then climbed that learning curve.

Every once in a while I climb out of the Suck zone. Well enbough so people keep coming back.

But I'll be darned inf I know how or why things work and when they don't. Like Surfing

When a good groove comes by you catch it and ride into the beach,

Jay ~Meow!~

cplmac
07-12-2008, 05:04 PM
I carry two leatherman multitools and a Gerber lockback.

Just give me my trusty K-bar.