PDA

View Full Version : What is one of the biggest things you have done in a Campaign?

Ramzei
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I am not necessarily looking for "Slayed the Tarrasque" or "killed everything in the abyss" kind of feats, but there is always room for those too! :D

My party and I decided to build "Dungeonland" during our Nethril campaign. Think amusement park here. It was built on a few massive Enclaves (huge floating land masses built on the chopped off tops of mountains). There were attractions ranging from the kiddie rides (low level monsters and their custom-made lairs) to the Vampire's Castle and the Lich's Labyrith. There were 5 star accomodations, a dueling ring (with gambling, naturally), a very, very well stocked (and grossly overpriced like all amusement parks) magic shop. We offered a wide variety of "services" such as death insurance, equipment insurance, guides, bodyguards, taxidemists etc... Without said protections the customers generally just helped stock our magic shop. We spent roughly 2 hours per week dealing with "monster supply" issues.

My 2nd favorite was planting hundreds of Magic beans on the Rock of Brahl (dont think that is spelled right, but too lazy to get up atm) simultaneously. The Panic it created was great, and we even got 2 of the rift beans which split "The Rock" into 3 pieces.

Mead
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Can't think of anything super spectacular that we did, although my memory is pretty crappy these days.

We got our dwarf's stronghold/temple built, that's all I can remember, not counting the memorable party personality interactions, which stand out more to me than any major accomplishments we ever achieved. In fact, iirc we were relatively incompetent. But that just made it more fun somehow =)

Webhead
07-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Well, in one campaign our party formed their own kingdom, and in another, the party traveled to an ancient temple on the moon via Gnomish rocketship...do those count? :noidea:

Kilrex
07-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I had a Gnome Wizard/Expert that built himself an Platinum Golem. Cost something like over 650k GP. Raised the money adventuring in Sigil against various psionic races. I spent from level 14-17 saving / stealing / misappropriating party funds. I was the negotiator for the group since I was the only one with alot of languages and would skim 10% from all rewards before splitting shares. Also was only one with Detect Magic and would always try to conceal an item from every looting.

Ramzei
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
We got our dwarf's stronghold/temple built, that's all I can remember, not counting the memorable party personality interactions, which stand out more to me than any major accomplishments we ever achieved. In fact, iirc we were relatively incompetent. But that just made it more fun somehow =)

Fun is the point indeed!

Well, in one campaign our party formed their own kingdom, and in another, the party traveled to an ancient temple on the moon via Gnomish rocketship...do those count? :noidea:

I have always wanted my own (or partially my own) kingdom in game. will have to work on that next time. Anything with a rocketship has to be cool. I have always been partial to Spelljammer though too.

Kilrex
07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I have always wanted my own (or partially my own) kingdom in game. will have to work on that next time.

Clear out some unclaimed territory of all the vermin races and proclaim yourself king. Best way to start is by getting a stronghold and the Leadership feat. Easiest stronghold to start is a smelly stinky cave that your group just cleared all the Goblins or whatever out of. Of course holding your new kingdom is when the fun starts.

ignimbrite
07-02-2008, 07:20 PM
We built, from scratch, a magic school out of a small volcano. It was at the mouth of a mountain pass and the school kinda also functioned as the first line of defense for the lands beyond the pass (although they later fell under the influence of necromancers and the tower switched sides ;))
Planning it and raising money was a cool sub-arc, my Wiz/Elemental Arcanist is the headmaster and architect and the school definately had a strong fire element theme with a series of tunnels that led towards the heart of the volcano :D

Kilrex
07-02-2008, 07:31 PM
We built, from scratch, a magic school out of a small volcano. It was at the mouth of a mountain pass and the school kinda also functioned as the first line of defense for the lands beyond the pass (although they later fell under the influence of necromancers and the tower switched sides ;))
Planning it and raising money was a cool sub-arc, my Wiz/Elemental Arcanist is the headmaster and architect and the school definately had a strong fire element theme with a series of tunnels that led towards the heart of the volcano :D

Pretty cool! Did you ever have to tell the Halfling to stop humping the laser?

Grimwell
07-02-2008, 10:55 PM
As a DM:
Set the players up with an intro document ( a few pages ) about their tribe, village, hunting grounds, etc. so they could make characters. Then destroyed it in the first few descriptive words to start the game, ending with "What do you do now?"

It put them on the run from a larger, and quite hostile, enemy force. They had the survivors to protect and save. That made 'getting to know you' party dynamics pretty damn easy for them -- and I got great feedback. Everyone felt an urgent need to act!

As a player:
Built a library for my Loremaster. One painful book at a time. ;)

Ramzei
07-04-2008, 09:48 AM
As a DM:
Set the players up with an intro document ( a few pages ) about their tribe, village, hunting grounds, etc. so they could make characters. Then destroyed it in the first few descriptive words to start the game, ending with "What do you do now?"

It put them on the run from a larger, and quite hostile, enemy force. They had the survivors to protect and save. That made 'getting to know you' party dynamics pretty damn easy for them -- and I got great feedback. Everyone felt an urgent need to act!

As a player:
Built a library for my Loremaster. One painful book at a time. ;)

I love being thrown into the fire right off the bat. In a Planescape campaign we created our characters, got the back story from the DM and were on our way. We were touts in The Cage with aspirations of something better. However, we were starving and as players knew nothing about Sigil really. I was out-voted so instead of trying to get some chink from the bashers running about we hunted rats for food :mad:
While it wasn't the first time for our characters, we made sure it was the last. After we became pretty powerful I hosted a dinner for the party, Rat was brought out as the main dish. Looking around the room was priceless; just as the comments started to come forth the Arborian fare was served and merrymaking ensued.

nijineko
07-04-2008, 08:39 PM
one i recall being told about was a very awesome fight scene.... epic level party was trying to figure out how to open a particularly stubborn magic portal... then they found a scale model map of the place and noticed that there was a little mock up of this really huge statue that was in the way. they also noticed that there was another spot that the idol would fit in nicely. so they dug a huge connecting shaft and humped the statue up the shaft on their backs....

the next thing i heard about them doing was being inside a really insanely big complex of these weird tubes of varying sizes... when they finally got out it turned out that they had been wandering around inside an iron golem. the le'shay controlling it promptly had it dive off of the enchanted cloud it was sitting on, and the party had this huge arial fight falling at critical velocity speed around the golem, with the le'shay.

as for myself, i requested of my dm that we go through the entire 'against the giants' campaign arc, so i'll let you know when we finish it. =D there is a campaign journal posted here in the article/blog section everyone could check out....

nijineko's against the giants campaign log (http://www.penandpapergames.com/userpages/showentry.php?e=82&catid=10&entryuserid=1336)

tesral
07-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Invaded Hell until they gave him a passport to keep him from wrecking the place. Yea, Kirt Hellreaver by name.

In later years adventurers would as him the most important point in a venture into the Hells.

His answer? "Don't go. It ain't worth it."

Yes, I have a map and key for the Nine Circles of Hell built well before TSR had one. It is based on the Dante model (Divine Comedy) and borrows heavily from that book.

It is mostly 1st edition stuff. It has been years since I used it. Trips to Hell should be rare.

Webhead
07-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Invaded Hell until they gave him a passport to keep him from wrecking the place. Yea, Kirt Hellreaver by name.

Our party didn't invade Hell per se, but we did accidentally wind up in Mechanus during an invasion by a massive demonic army...and promptly slew said army (admittedly, the modrons did help out a bit).

Yes, I have a map and key for the Nine Circles of Hell built well before TSR had one. It is based on the Dante model (Divine Comedy) and borrows heavily from that book.

Have Dante's Inferno sitting on the shelf at home. Been a while since I've read it, but it is quite good.

tesral
07-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Have Dante's Inferno sitting on the shelf at home. Been a while since I've read it, but it is quite good.

The classics are some of the best inspiration.

Maelstrom
07-07-2008, 05:53 PM
My Necromancer blew up a flight of dragons by breaking his Staff of the Magi (yeah, the one that would explode really big if you broke it).

Of course, the dragons were illusions... the DM was testing me, but it still felt epic :o

Tamerath
07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
In 2nd Edition I ended our campaign with the Apocalypse Stone module. I did a fair amount of prep work for this one...one of the more memorable moments was when my players were fighting the two Black Dragons and scaling this mountain. (If memory serves). I remember one of them was grabbed by the Black Dragon and couldn't break free and the next round the Dragon slammed her fist into the wall (dealing crushing damage) and the following round it breathed it's acid breath all over the PC....and not only did it automatically hit..but it either critted on it's attack...or I rolled max damage...The character died...BUT...my buddy still talks about that battle even today and said that it's one of his most memorable encounter (in a positive way) because if he had to pick a way to go out...that was the most cinematic death he could have asked for. Hehehe...and after that he's had an affinity for Black Dragons. He has rolled half-dragons and dragonborn characters.

Ramzei
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
I find it humerous that a lot of people's fondest memories happened in 2E, but it seems like I am one of the few that still WANTS to play 2E. So if anyone reading this has a game in my area... LET ME KNOW!!!

Webhead
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I find it humerous that a lot of people's fondest memories happened in 2E, but it seems like I am one of the few that still WANTS to play 2E. So if anyone reading this has a game in my area... LET ME KNOW!!!

2e had its own problems, but I would play it in a heartbeat if someone in my group offered. Especially if I can use "Kits". ;)

Ramzei
07-10-2008, 12:35 AM
2E did indeed have some issues, but kits were good stuff for sure. I had a knack for finding the obscure ones that the GM would have to mull over a bit. The last one was a Magefriend from the Warriors and Priests of the Realms. It was a kit that followed Azuth and was able to cast most Priest and Wizard spells (the wizard casting was as if you were half your priest level, so third level wizard spells required a level 10 priest).

ryan973
07-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I loved Kits, I would play second edition but my group wont go for it. Too bad too i alwase felt that second edition was the edition that had the most role play. You leveled alot slower so your enjoyment was basically watching your guy grow as a character. Also if you wanted to play a warmage you made a wizard and role played as a war mage. Strange builds and such just were not necessary. Of course you can get the same thing by palying a core only game of D&D 3.5.

Sethannon
07-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Much to the delight of half, and the sorrow of half, of our gaming group we still play 2nd ed. I would say that I spent the bulk of my time with that edition and always seem to fall back to it.

Ramzei
07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Much to the delight of half, and the sorrow of half, of our gaming group we still play 2nd ed. I would say that I spent the bulk of my time with that edition and always seem to fall back to it.

Ah, if only you lived in South Central... PA. :lol:

Webhead
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
...Also if you wanted to play a warmage you made a wizard and role played as a war mage. Strange builds and such just were not necessary...

Aye. That's part of what I miss about the days of playing 2e. Your character was as much or as little as you cared to describe of them. If I wanted to play an "Initiate of Juk Lao Sorcery of the Southern Wind Temple", I made a Wizard and the rest was "color". So my Magic Missiles look like ghostly dragon heads and Tenser's Floating Disc is a spirit tortoise with a concave shell. That's all we wanted.

Of course, this goes back to the old arguement that if people want to play something special, they want the rules to go with it...but I digress.

shilar
07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I was DM for one group of 40th level characters that got tasked to slow down an army of goblinoids and their dragon allies. I was actually the third DM for that campaign as I had recently lost my character to said armies epic level goblin necromancer/warlord. We had a rule for divine intervention, each divine caster class got one chance of like 1% with VERY small bonuses for extreme situations(I think 5000 to one odds count). The ranger(who became a colossal treant) and paladin(who became a epic divine agent) made theirs the cleric(who was borrowing Thor's hammer anyways) had already used his to save him from Lolth(I don't get how 4 separate characters all rolled for divine intervention in one campaign, but hey whatever) in an earlier adventure. Rounding out the party were a 4 armed human fighter with multi weapon fighting, a ninja/wizard who's blood was liquid chaos, another wizard who had pyromancer levels(every spell slot he could use for it had meta magic or straight up versions of fireball prepared), a monk, and my old rouge temporarily resurrected as part of the double divine intervention. We got divine ascension for this one. Became our own little sub pantheon with me as a divine "aspect" of all of the others. I was the quasi-deity of doing the dirty work:mad::D:cool:.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-20-2008, 03:03 AM
Clear out some unclaimed territory of all the vermin races and proclaim yourself king. Best way to start is by getting a stronghold and the Leadership feat. Easiest stronghold to start is a smelly stinky cave that your group just cleared all the Goblins or whatever out of. Of course holding your new kingdom is when the fun starts.
Done this. Had a character NPC named Dirk, The Daring(no kidding), who was fighter of about 8-10th level. He took over a Keep, and surrounding land, as Mayor-General and held it for us(the rest of the party). This was after we liberated it from some humanoid baddies. He was an NPC w/o a lot of respect before our attack. His luck did turn.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Most of my fondest memories were in 1E. 2E and lower held my fondest recollections.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-20-2008, 03:07 AM
I was DM for one group of 40th level characters that got tasked to slow down an army of goblinoids and their dragon allies. I was actually the third DM for that campaign as I had recently lost my character to said armies epic level goblin necromancer/warlord. We had a rule for divine intervention, each divine caster class got one chance of like 1% with VERY small bonuses for extreme situations(I think 5000 to one odds count). The ranger(who became a colossal treant) and paladin(who became a epic divine agent) made theirs the cleric(who was borrowing Thor's hammer anyways) had already used his to save him from Lolth(I don't get how 4 separate characters all rolled for divine intervention in one campaign, but hey whatever) in an earlier adventure. Rounding out the party were a 4 armed human fighter with multi weapon fighting, a ninja/wizard who's blood was liquid chaos, another wizard who had pyromancer levels(every spell slot he could use for it had meta magic or straight up versions of fireball prepared), a monk, and my old rouge temporarily resurrected as part of the double divine intervention. We got divine ascension for this one. Became our own little sub pantheon with me as a divine "aspect" of all of the others. I was the quasi-deity of doing the dirty work:mad::D:cool:.
I never played Epic. Damn i envy those that have.

Thoth-Amon

Law Dog
07-20-2008, 10:02 PM
My character Throg, a barbarian from Aysle in TORG, presonally killed the Gaunt Man with everybody in the party playing support cards to assist.

Of course, the ending TORG module is really a let down with an NPC arriving in the nick of time to hand you the Vorpal Butterknife of Destiny. Kind of reminded me of the last scene in the movie Diggstown when James Woods whistled at Lou Gossett's opponent and the guy basically put his hands down and took the laydown in the ring.

We still laugh about this to this day and mock the module as follows.

GM: Captain Edinos shows up on his motorcycle and hands Throg the Vorpal Butterknife of Destiny.

Throg: I take the VBD and prepare to cleave the Gaunt Man.

GM: Before you can do that, Captain Edinos whistles and the Gaunt Man stops what he is doing.

Throg: I'm confused. I stare at the Gaunt Man suspecting a trick.

GM: The Gaunt Man give you a pensive look and trys to subtly indicate that you should stab him.

Throg: I look at Captain Edinos.

GM: Edinos gives you the hurry up sign and nods to you.

Throg: What about the rest of the battle?

GM: Everybody has stopped to watch and they appear impatient.

Throg: :confused:

GM: The Gaunt Man runs into your sword impaling himself. All is saved. Reality, all of them, are saved.

Throg: :eek:

GM: Game is ova. You all go home. We been playing six long month. No more to see. Gaunt Man dead. Heroes win. Yay!

Throg: :rolleyes:

agoraderek
07-20-2008, 10:06 PM
2e had its own problems, but I would play it in a heartbeat if someone in my group offered. Especially if I can use "Kits". ;)

i know a guy that runs a weekly 2e FR dwarf campaign, and they use kits. sat in a couple times, good stuff, but they play odd nights and im pretty much just available on weekends...

agoraderek
07-20-2008, 10:10 PM
some insanely funny stuff

thanks for sharing that! the use of emoticons enhanced the experience and made MORE oj come out of my nose! you owe me a new keyboard though...

kirksmithicus
07-21-2008, 12:09 AM
In a Thieves world campaign, my character started his own gang. Eventually he was killed by the thieves guild. Not to epic, but very fun.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
In a Thieves world campaign, my character started his own gang. Eventually he was killed by the thieves guild. Not to epic, but very fun.
Now there's a campaign i'd love to play.

Thoth-Amon

kirksmithicus
07-21-2008, 12:31 AM
It made me twitchy and paranoid in real life. :D It was awesome.

Ramzei
07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
My last group was in the mid twenties level-wise. I was a fighter that usually could do pretty good damage. I had a slayer sword for reds which is what we were fighting. One of the party members was about to go down so I put away the swords, pulled out my bow and fired my slayer arrow.... the dragon failed the save. The 5% chance of it working should have made me reconsider, but it was 3 am and rational thought had escaped me.

agoraderek
07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
It made me twitchy and paranoid in real life. :D It was awesome.

i loved playing in sanctuary. i loved DMing sanctuary even better. nothing like telling PCs, "life is cheap here, so keep those 4d6 handy..."

Talmek
07-22-2008, 06:51 AM
The biggest thing my players did in our campaign was creating a demiplane, populating it and building a small city (roughly 50 people) with them being the leaders. It was actually during a war that occured on the Material Plane instigated from the PCs' actions. They then took some of their NPC allies who were willing and started a new, if small civilization.

Ain't the Epic Handbook grand?

dentarthur
08-17-2008, 01:15 PM
We just wrapped up a campaign where we:
- killed Vecna;
- killed an ancient deity even viler than Vecna;
- transferred said deities' power to our NPC companion David, thus creating a new god.

My sorceror took a cleric level, became the first priest of David Palin, and set up a temple with his amassed fortune. If we get the urge to play this world again, we'll be doing quests under direct order of our new deity.

The_Richard
08-17-2008, 02:43 PM
not exactly epic but memorable was a character i had that for a while was extremely happy to wake up in the same room/place as when he went unconscious. he had a history of loss of HP's and then waking up some where completely different. would go from fighting in the forest to being in a castle, fighting in the dungeon to being in an inn, and once he even switched planes while being out.