PDA

View Full Version : Bestiary Gaming the Horse

tesral
07-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Gaming the Horse (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/horse_chart.html)

I have noticed through the years that many gamers have tried to define and quantify the horse. In every example I have seen to date, they have failed utterly because the definer did not know horses. One of the worst examples is from Dragon Magizine #41 where the author clearly didn't have a clue.

Herein is an attempt at defining and quantifying the horse for gamers by people that both understand the horse and understand games. It is not intended to be a manual on how to raise and keep horses and several subjects of horse keeping will not be covered for that reason. Any number of books or websites that detail horse keeping can be found.

I have carefully left out exact numbers and quantifiers so the reader can adapt this work to the game they play.

Kilrex
07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I like the horse traits chart. I will use it to assign behaviors to horses. If the players want to check them out before buying, a nice Handle Animal check should do.

Webhead
07-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Interesting. I like the chart of "horse traits" as well.

nijineko
07-04-2008, 07:09 PM
sweet. a very handy resource. thanks! =D

kirksmithicus
07-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Very cool, I'm definitely going to use this. Thanks!

tesral
09-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Gaming the horse has been updated, still at the URL above.

Skunkape
09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
That's such a great site, so glad you did the work and gave us the link! The photos are of some really great looking horses too! Thanks!

DMMike
09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Can't wait to use the Biter. I'll also be sure to not game with anyone who's raised horses.

Evil Nosferatu
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I know it's been a little while since this post was originated, but I wanted to comment how great it is and also bump it up to the first page again. :)

mrken
12-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Just found this link. Great job. I'm going to keep it for use in my game.

My question is, where did a city kid from Detroit who worked in a factory learn so much about horses? lol

tesral
12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
I married a Horsey Girl that never got over it. Most girls go though a period of fascination about horses. They trade them in for boys. Mine just added boys. We had Horses for a while, but the difficulty of finding close boarding killed that. Madonna was a sweety too (Arab mare) So I learned a great deal bout horses. I know more about the color genetics of horses than any man would want to know. She does horse RPGs as well as the fantasy kind. Fantasy racing, pedigree assignment and so forth. She collects model horses. Has girlfriends that are crazy about horses. So I have learned a lot about horses.

nijineko
12-24-2010, 06:13 PM
inoculation by proximation? ^^

tesral
10-28-2014, 11:19 PM
The necrothreadmancer strikes again. Just rrying to get this stuff back to the top form new people to see.