PDA

View Full Version : So how's everyone's 4th Edition Campaigns Running so Far?

Tamerath
06-30-2008, 02:11 AM
So after about 2 weeks sitting down with the new rules and playing in a couple of adventures with my new gaming group I had the honor of starting a campaign for them. I really liked the map for Barrow of the Forgotten King but never had a chance to run it. That said I kept a little (a couple of the original room descriptions and maybe the encounter with a little bit of 4th edition tweaking) but the most part I built from scratch over 95% of the original adventure with my own flavor and style and I'd say it's easier (at least for me) than past editions (not to start an edition war again, just wanted to ask everyone their opinions on how it was for them). We started and two players rolled up their characters there at the table and we still got through 4 encounters (taking them up to right before the beholder puzzle room that was in the original module...though I'm doing something different for that room) Actually as a dungeon master I noticed how much combat flowed at an easier pace. I believe the players had a really good time (and I'm happy because I think this is one of the best adventures I've ever wrote to kick off a new campaign). I think it was a wonderful beginning to a great storyline I hope reaches lvl 30 one day. So ANYWAY...my question to you other Dungeon Masters and Players out there...How are your 4th edition campaigns running so far? Any really inspiring encounters that will stick out for the years to come thus far? Anything really cool you've seen so far?

Maelstrom
06-30-2008, 07:03 AM
I put together a one shot campaign for my family and friends during my vacation to the West. I concur that it was very easy to put together the adventure from a DM's perspective. Very little time was required to piece together very interesting and unique encounters, and with the balance the way it is, I was confident the players would be able to have a good time regardless of party makeup (as long as they covered the role bases).

I ran the adventure once for my family, and will do it again with my friends tomorrow. I did underestimate the strength of the characters, some of the encounters were too easy, but it will be easy enough for me to modify them to higher level encounters for the next pass.

My adventure included 3 combat encounters, and a diplomatic skill challenge. One of the combats was set in a room with a puzzle to escape while the room got steadily more dangerous and critters started attacking from above. That was quite fun.

Tamareth, you ought to post a play by play for one or more of your encounters. They give readers a much more concrete way to learn about 4e when they haven't been able to play themselves. I will do the same sometime later this week for mine.

Kilrex
06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
A friend ran a 4e adventure to quell all the naysayers in the group.

We started off with an escape from gaol skill challenge followed by a combat to subdue the guards. Then we had a gather info skill challenge to find out why we were arrested and who was behind it. Next, we had 3 combats to capture the real villains. And we ended with a trial skill challenge to prove our innocence and the guilt of the villains.

Overall we agreed we did not like the flavour of combat, but the skill challenges were fun and similar to how we have been doing skills all along. Even though we ended up in prison due to bad rolls and the Tiefling trying to bully the judge.

Tamerath
06-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Tamareth, you ought to post a play by play for one or more of your encounters. They give readers a much more concrete way to learn about 4e when they haven't been able to play themselves. I will do the same sometime later this week for mine.

Fantastic Idea Maelstrom! You know, I was just looking for a post like that elsewhere right before I read your reply. I'll start up a new thread just for that as not to derail from this one.

Valdar
06-30-2008, 01:50 PM
We've had two sessions so far, not counting character generation and trial combat. Here's one player's journal:

http://worldsedge-kate.blogspot.com

(Note that it's a blog, so posts are top-newest- start from the bottom-most post, "Starting out".)

Tamerath
06-30-2008, 02:56 PM
We've had two sessions so far, not counting character generation and trial combat. Here's one player's journal:

(Note that it's a blog, so posts are top-newest- start from the bottom-most post, "Starting out".)

A really well done story :) Thanks for sharing it with us

ronpyatt
06-30-2008, 07:15 PM
4ed is going great so far. We'll have our 4th session this Thursday. I've played a Tiefling paladin (very playable), and a Eladrin warlock (also very playable). We'll be leveling up to 2nd level and settling on our more permanent characters for the campaign. I'm going with a Dragonborn paladin.
I also created a 16th level character NPC (practice for when I DM), which I thought would be hard, but creating the character was actually pretty easy. The array of powers was also easy to choose from based on the direction I wanted to go with the character.

Grimwell
06-30-2008, 08:45 PM

Great start so far! I can't wait to find out what the Prince negotiated...

Valdar
07-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Great start so far! I can't wait to find out what the Prince negotiated...

Thanks! It's now updated to the present (well, up to last night's session), and we do find out what the Prince was up to.

Tamerath
07-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks! It's now updated to the present (well, up to last night's session), and we do find out what the Prince was up to.

That's a great story Valdar! I look forward to more in the future!

4ed is going great so far. We'll have our 4th session this Thursday. I've played a Tiefling paladin (very playable), and a Eladrin warlock (also very playable). We'll be leveling up to 2nd level and settling on our more permanent characters for the campaign. I'm going with a Dragonborn paladin.
I also created a 16th level character NPC (practice for when I DM), which I thought would be hard, but creating the character was actually pretty easy. The array of powers was also easy to choose from based on the direction I wanted to go with the character.

Awesome! My fiancee tried out a Dragonborn Paladin in her first adventure in 4th. Not only did she find out she loved playing a paladin (I think she has like two paladin's she has rolled...one being a Dragonborn paladin and the other a Minotaur Paladin of the Raven Queen), but for a fact I've seen her play online MMO's and she's always hated Paladin characters...so for her to like them and find the best ways to tweak them out in table top D&D shows to me that she's having a good time playing one and enjoying the game as a whole.

I was thinking about converting some of my old D&D characters I made back in high school just for fun so your post is really encouraging that!

I hope you like your new character and keep me posted on how your game progresses! I'm really liking what I'm reading so far from everyone. Thank You for taking the time to share your experiences!

TotemChakra
07-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Even though it's just me and another friend within the group, the game so far has been pretty great and the flow is great as well. Me being a Human Wizard (And the DM..) with my friend being the Dragonborn Cleric, we so far make a pretty good team. Except that we almost had our butts handed to by kobolds, where the cleric died and I had to force a healing potion down his throat XD

Abashima
07-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Although only two sessions into it, I'm running the gang through Keep on the Shadowfell and things have been going swimmingly!

Tamerath
07-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Although only two sessions into it, I'm running the gang through Keep on the Shadowfell and things have been going swimmingly!

Awesome, Keep me posted on what happens when they meet Splug. I always loved that encounter and what the players decide to do. (or the DM)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Tamerath(see above), has begun his 4.0 campaign. It would be fair to say that we were impressed with the amount of effort and preparation that went into his game. Not to mention, it was just plain fun. Playing over 30 years, This was one of the more memorable ones ive played. I would of liked to stay in his campaign but, life got in the way and i had to bow out. Rest assured, i have people on the inside that will keep me updated.

Thoth-Amon

Tamerath
07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Tamerath(see above), has begun his 4.0 campaign. It would be fair to say that we were impressed with the amount of effort and preparation that went into his game. Not to mention, it was just plain fun. Playing over 30 years, This was one of the more memorable ones ive played. I would of liked to stay in his campaign but, life got in the way and i had to bow out. Rest assured, i have people on the inside that will keep me updated.

Thoth-Amon

Awww...Man you just made my day! Thanks for the compliment :) You are always welcome to my game table!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Awww...Man you just made my day! Thanks for the compliment :) You are always welcome to my game table!
One day soon, you should start one of your Star Wars campaigns. That would be great.

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
One day soon, you should start one of your Star Wars campaigns. That would be great.

Thoth-Amon

Yay for Star Wars! :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Yay for Star Wars! :)
After playing in Tameraths 4.0 campaign, i have no doubt that his Star Wars Campaign would be... stellar!!!

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
07-08-2008, 02:24 PM
After playing in Tameraths 4.0 campaign, i have no doubt that his Star Wars Campaign would be... stellar!!!

Thoth-Amon

Sounds to me like the two of you need to move to Dallas! :D

Kidding...but my current Star Wars game is proving to be a lot of fun. First time running Saga Edition and it has surpassed all of my expectations.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Kidding...but my current Star Wars game is proving to be a lot of fun. First time running Saga Edition and it has surpassed all of my expectations.
Doubtful his lady would allow that. I, on the other hand, fly out to Corpus Christi every summer for a few weeks to see family, hit Padra Island, and game with some of my friends from neighboring towns. Sadly, i havent been to Dallas in years... all family from there relocated south. My girlfriend, on the other hand, has mentioned to me numerous times that she would love for us to move there... and get married. She goes with me and absolutely loves it there. I cant blame her. Texas is awesome.

Yep, never played Star Wars, but am looking forward too. There is a gaming group out here in Temecula and i am patiently awaiting for a chair to open up. Seems the game is a real hit and they have players on a waiting list. Hopefully, i will get the call soon.

Game on!

Thoth-Amon

Tamerath
07-09-2008, 06:59 AM

Webhead, personally I'm honored that you'd even have me in your group so thanks for that! It's good to hear your Saga Edition is going well. You'll have to keep me posted on that one as my first impressions of Saga felt horrible. So maybe I just needed to give it a chance.

Doubtful his lady would allow that.

Ouch!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Webhead, personally I'm honored that you'd even have me in your group so thanks for that! It's good to hear your Saga Edition is going well. You'll have to keep me posted on that one as my first impressions of Saga felt horrible. So maybe I just needed to give it a chance.

Ouch!
I meant no disrespect. Btw, when you going to get your Star Wars D6 campaign started?

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
07-09-2008, 09:15 AM

So were mine. My first pass reading the book had me thinking, "This is a nice rewrite of the d20 system, but it's probably better for D&D than Star Wars". It wasn't until a year and an ultimatum later that I re-read the book with open eyes and realized that there is something really good there.

I'm a Star Wars D6-nazi. Always loved it, always will. It's the first RPG I ever owned and the second RPG I ever GMed (after a few short haphazard adventures of D&D) and it is by far the largest presence in my gaming library. I've enjoyed the game for years. I didn't think I would like Saga. I wasn't a fan of d20 and both previous attempts by WotC to make a Star Wars game fell flat for me.

Somehow, Saga gets things right. It won't replace Star Wars D6 for me, but rather, it's an alternative that is different yet just as much fun as the original. I still wanna run a D6 game again. It's been too long. But for now, Saga has done an amazing job bringing the Star Wars spirit back to my table.

Tamerath
07-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I meant no disrespect. Btw, when you going to get your Star Wars D6 campaign started?

Thoth-Amon

Hehehe...It's cool :) Anyway, about the Star Wars Campaign. After reading what you and Webhead posted here and going and checking out some stories on the Star Wars RPG forums here at Pen and Paper Games I'm inspired...so chances are I'll start working on it today. BUT...even though I own Saga edition...I wasn't overly impressed with it...and left it on the shelf in WV when I moved. SO..that being said it'll be WEG's d6 version :)

It's too bad...I'm kinda new to posting on forums so I don't really know if there is a way of doing this...but We don't have a Pen and Paper Games Forums for the old d6 version...else I'd be lighting that sucker up with posts.

So were mine. My first pass reading the book had me thinking, "This is a nice rewrite of the d20 system, but it's probably better for D&D than Star Wars". It wasn't until a year and an ultimatum later that I re-read the book with open eyes and realized that there is something really good there.

I'm a Star Wars D6-nazi. Always loved it, always will. It's the first RPG I ever owned and the second RPG I ever GMed (after a few short haphazard adventures of D&D) and it is by far the largest presence in my gaming library. I've enjoyed the game for years. I didn't think I would like Saga. I wasn't a fan of d20 and both previous attempts by WotC to make a Star Wars game fell flat for me.

Somehow, Saga gets things right. It won't replace Star Wars D6 for me, but rather, it's an alternative that is different yet just as much fun as the original. I still wanna run a D6 game again. It's been too long. But for now, Saga has done an amazing job bringing the Star Wars spirit back to my table.

I'd love to try it out....but even though I did like some things about saga...as people at Wizards say, "It is basically a snapshot of where they were in thinking when they were making 4th edition D&D" So....that being said I don't know why they would push it out so much sooner than 4.0 and not just use the same system (granted...while I would enjoy the balance in character classes....I think I still wouldn't like the way they visualize the Jedi class).

Dear God Folks....I think I am to Star Wars RPG's d6 to Saga system as I've seen a lot of people's feelings of D&D 2nd and 3rd edition to 4th. Wow...that's scary...and yet at the same time helps me to understand where those 4th edition naysayers come from.

OH: As not to derail from this thread I'll probably post some of my d6 Star Wars ideas for a campaign over in that proper thread. So perhaps everyone can lend me their creative spirits :) (God, I really like this community..so many helpful and nice gamers)

Webhead
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Dear God Folks....I think I am to Star Wars RPG's d6 to Saga system as I've seen a lot of people's feelings of D&D 2nd and 3rd edition to 4th. Wow...that's scary...and yet at the same time helps me to understand where those 4th edition naysayers come from.

So was I. In fact, it was only thanks to the combined, simultaneous efforts of Tremayne here at Pen and Paper, Kurt Wiegel of Game Geeks, several reviews on RPG.net and the goading of one of my players that I threw my arms up into the air and said, "Oh, what the hell! If all these people (even old D6 grognards like me) say this game is good, then there must be at least some truth to it. Let me read it again to see what they're talking about".

Ta da. Once I got past my own distaste for "d20", I realized that it is actually better than one might expect it to be. I urge all Star Wars RPG fans thusly: "Don't throw out your D6 books for Saga. But if you love Star Wars, you should at least play Saga once. After that, embrace or discard it as you will, but I think a lot of Star Wars fans (even those who hated d20, like me) who would otherwise dismiss it out-of-hand just on basic principle will be pleasantly surprised."

I think that helps explain why I've kept an open mind about 4e. If I can experience the value of a new version of a game that I though I would never ever convert from, then this whole 4e thing should be a relative cake-walk. I have no desire to "convert" from D6 to Saga, really. There's no way in Hell I'm going to get rid of or stop playing my Star Wars D6. Instead, I've just accepted Saga into the fold as a worthwhile new addition to my Star Wars role playing experience.

Webhead
07-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I'd love to try it out....but even though I did like some things about saga...as people at Wizards say, "It is basically a snapshot of where they were in thinking when they were making 4th edition D&D" So....that being said I don't know why they would push it out so much sooner than 4.0 and not just use the same system (granted...while I would enjoy the balance in character classes....I think I still wouldn't like the way they visualize the Jedi class).

Honestly, I feel kinda glad that Saga didn't go completely with the design that 4e uses. Saga seems more like something about half way between 3e and 4e. You can see where ideas in 4e were grown from seeds planted in Saga, but I'm happy that Saga and 4e are two different games.

I actually think if 4e had more closely resembled Saga, it would be a more agreeable game to a lot of folks. As is, I would probably play a version of D&D built from Saga over a straight-up 4e game.

Maelstrom
07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I actually think if 4e had more closely resembled Saga, it would be a more agreeable game to a lot of folks.

Interesting thought... they did put a lot of R&D into 4e without the public eye on them, thus that team probably got somewhat out of touch with their player base. Would player reaction have been different if they released a version in the middle of the transition?

I like the 4e finished product, but it saddens me that its split the community so much.

agoraderek
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Doubtful his lady would allow that. I, on the other hand, fly out to Corpus Christi every summer for a few weeks to see family, hit Padra Island, and game with some of my friends from neighboring towns. Sadly, i havent been to Dallas in years... all family from there relocated south. My girlfriend, on the other hand, has mentioned to me numerous times that she would love for us to move there... and get married. She goes with me and absolutely loves it there. I cant blame her. Texas is awesome.

Yep, never played Star Wars, but am looking forward too. There is a gaming group out here in Temecula and i am patiently awaiting for a chair to open up. Seems the game is a real hit and they have players on a waiting list. Hopefully, i will get the call soon.

Game on!

Thoth-Amon

funny, my girlfriend spent the 4th of july at her uncles beach house in dana point and wants us to move there...

no way i'm moving from texas, though...

Webhead
07-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Interesting thought... they did put a lot of R&D into 4e without the public eye on them, thus that team probably got somewhat out of touch with their player base. Would player reaction have been different if they released a version in the middle of the transition?

Quite possible. Saga and 4e certainly have some similar design concepts, but you can tell that 4e has "taken the ball and ran with it". I imagine that early drafts of 4e probably started out more closely resembling Saga, but then they continued tinkering, changing, swapping and reimagining until it became its own creature. I liked a lot of what was developed for Saga, so I also like those elements that made their way into 4e. But 4e definately fell further from the tree than Saga did, and I think that D&D fans probably would have been well served by a version of D&D that was released under similar design philosophies as Saga. One of the strongest and most prevalent elements of Saga is customizability. Characters are made superbly customizable without sacrificing simplicity. I don't know how the managed to do it...but it really works.

I like the 4e finished product, but it saddens me that its split the community so much.

Aye.

no way i'm moving from texas, though...

If I may be so bold, why is that?

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
i'm about to start my first one soon. i plan on starting with the rescue of rivenroar. possibly following that adventure path or after the first one branch off in my own direction.

or even starting a FR campaign. In the "old" realms. since i haven't gotten my use out of those books yet

agoraderek
08-08-2008, 08:11 PM
If I may be so bold, why is that?

i grew up in new york, new jersey and florida, but i graduated high school here in houston, went to college in austin, have travelled all around the country (and some international travel, but, unfortunately, not extensively), and no were i go do i find people as nice (genuinely nice) as i have in texas. it is the only place that i've ever felt "home" in my life, frankly.

i lived in dallas for a couple of years as well, it was a fun experience (was a bartender in deep ellum before it got all "gentrified", worked at the four seasons in las colinas and the mansion at turtle creek for a bit as well). but dallas was the farthest i've ever lived from a coastline, so i needed to come back home to houston...

Stormhound
08-08-2008, 09:53 PM
My game's going quite well after two sessions. The group's getting along nicely, they've gotten a fair bit accomplished (including reaching 2nd level), and I've gotten to drop quite a number of plot hints, some subtle and some not.

It's certainly taken a lot of getting used to, in terms of setting up encounters; these guys have wiped the floor with stuff that would've eaten their lunch in 1e or 2e. Part of it is me getting used to the new tactics, I think (I've found some good ways of annoying them, though), but most of it is just how lethal 4e characters can be. But all involved are having fun, so that's what counts most.