PDA

View Full Version : DDI - What do you think?

Dimthar
06-27-2008, 03:25 PM
As soon as DDI comes on I will be DMing a 4e game and I am very excited about it!

I am looking forward it just to do a little test.

My Golden Era Party is now all dispersed between 3 different cities in Mexico, 1 in USA (Myself), 1 in Switzerland and 1 in Australia (Yes, there are Mexicans in Oz, I think they call him “outback” :))

We do occasionally play Starcraft once a year in Battlenet. And we do “Guest Appearances” on each others campaigns when visiting, sometimes to betray the party per the “secret request” from the DM, the party will fight the DM and “Guest” in the final battle”.

How do you expect the DDI experience to differ from the WoW one? Is going to be RPG or “Virtual Miniature Game”? Is it just a “Virtual Table”?

Valdar
06-27-2008, 03:38 PM
I think it's supposed to be just a virtual table- you're still turn-based, talking to the DM, etc. Not a computer game at all- more like a specialized version of Livemeeting rather than Neverwinter 2008.

I'm curious to see how successful hybrid (some players in-person, some remote) games would be- I'd almost prefer a camera pointed at my physical map, so the official table is the physical one, and the remote players tell the present ones how their fig moves. I suppose I could just use Livemeeting at that point, though.

Mead
06-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm really hoping it's gonna be successful and useful, been wanting to resume gaming with the old college crew for years now. But since it looks favorable that I'll be able to get into a local game when I move to PA, DDI failing won't be nearly as disappointing as it would have been had it come out a year or two ago.

Aedes
06-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm looking forward to giving the DM tools and game table a shot. My old gaming party has scattered across the country. If done properly this could be a great way to get back to the table with them. I just hope its more user friendly then maptool. I downloaded that to give it a shot, but could only scratch my head in confussion while trying to design anythin in it.

tesral
06-27-2008, 11:20 PM
If it works as advertised and they don't rape your wallet to use it.

I've considered adding a friend on the West coast with video chat. Mr. Monitor head if you will. Our loose play style would allow for that.

I don't see myself using such a tool, but I'm not going to dis it. I am very much old school sit around the room and game. The physcial presence is important.

notrealdan
06-28-2008, 08:11 AM
I'd like to try the game table with my projector setup. I just hope they make it easy for completely local play and don't assume that the players must be remote. I'd hate to make all my players show up with laptops and connect to DDI (and pay for membership) just to play in my game, sitting in my living room.

Also, while we're on the subject, have they made any indication that they'll have pre-made virtual maps for all official modules? What about community-made maps? I'd love to see a repository of official and community maps available to pull up anytime on the game table. Pre-made NPCs, monsters, etc. to populate the maps would also be good, especially for the official modules.

-Dan

Valdar
06-28-2008, 08:59 AM
If it works well in its first release, that would make it the first piece of networking software to ever do so. For the first release, I would expect at least one member of your group to be unable to play due to technical difficulties on any given session, and at least one hour at the start of the session to get the thing working.

tesral
06-28-2008, 11:36 AM
If it works well in its first release, that would make it the first piece of networking software to ever do so.

There is that. Valid, if somewhat enthusiasm killing point.

Valdar
06-28-2008, 11:53 AM
There is that. Valid, if somewhat enthusiasm killing point.

Just trying to be realistic. If you want to use GameTable 1.0, just be aware that you're a beta tester, and you shouldn't get turned off to the idea if it doesn't work the first time. I'm sure GameTable 4.0 will be awesome if people stick with the franchise long enough for it to be made.

Webhead
06-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I'll probably look at it and pray that there is some kind of "trial" or "demo" of the program so that I could get a feel for whether or not it is worth throwing my money away on. I doubt that I will actually become a paying member, just because there are other games and other, more preferable (to me) ways to play RPGs than through an online D&D game table.

Still, it might be a neat way to have a secondary RPG going whose schedule would not offend my wife, since I wouldn't even have to leave home to do it. This is all assuming that DDI's features have enough quality and stability to appeal to me.

I'm thinking it will be more hassle than it's worth for me but then, I've been talked into stranger things before.

tesral
06-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Just trying to be realistic. If you want to use GameTable 1.0, just be aware that you're a beta tester, and you shouldn't get turned off to the idea if it doesn't work the first time. I'm sure GameTable 4.0 will be awesome if people stick with the franchise long enough for it to be made.

That is the way it works anymore. At least the Open Source community is honest about open beta testing. It would be nice if the Close source community would do the same and let you know when you are paying for a beta.

Of course, if they did that no one would buy.

Valdar
06-28-2008, 03:45 PM
That is the way it works anymore. At least the Open Source community is honest about open beta testing. It would be nice if the Close source community would do the same and let you know when you are paying for a beta.

Of course, if they did that no one would buy.

Pretty much. For it to work the first time, that would mean that they'd either gotten very lucky, or somehow recreated the entire Internet in their test lab.

I still see indignant users of beta tests too, though- most MMORPG betas I've tested had their share of irate "customers".

nijineko
06-28-2008, 04:00 PM
gametable is java based, and works for both local and remote players. here is the link: http://gametable.mornproduction.com/forum

has been around for years. and the 1.3 "beta" is actually stable. check out the cvs for the latest 1.4 if you are into that.

notrealdan
06-28-2008, 05:04 PM
gametable is java based, and works for both local and remote players. here is the link: http://gametable.mornproduction.com/forum

has been around for years. and the 1.3 "beta" is actually stable. check out the cvs for the latest 1.4 if you are into that.

I'll take a look. FYI, it should be http://gametable.mornproductions.com/forum/. http://gametable.galactanet.com/ also works.

I suppose I could also use Fantasy Grounds, which I bought a while ago... I'll still give the DDI Game Table a whirl when it's available. Network issues should be minimal for local only play. :biggrin:

-Dan

Tamerath
06-30-2008, 02:25 AM
I am looking forward it just to do a little test.

My Golden Era Party is now all dispersed between 3 different cities in Mexico, 1 in USA (Myself), 1 in Switzerland and 1 in Australia (Yes, there are Mexicans in Oz, I think they call him “outback” :))

We do occasionally play Starcraft once a year in Battlenet. And we do “Guest Appearances” on each others campaigns when visiting, sometimes to betray the party per the “secret request” from the DM, the party will fight the DM and “Guest” in the final battle”.

How do you expect the DDI experience to differ from the WoW one? Is going to be RPG or “Virtual Miniature Game”? Is it just a “Virtual Table”?

I was so dissappointed in Wizards for not releasing DDI for launch alongside 4th edition, but I am VERY excited about it. I'm planning on running a game for my old group of West Virginia players. As well as meeting new players from around the world and playing in their games . As for how it'll differ from a World of Warcraft experience...From what I've seen thus far..it'll differ a lot. It's a Virtual Table (not mini game, but I guess there's nothing holding you back from using it as a playmat). If my new group gets into it maybe introducing my old group of friends to my new one and mixing them up in different groups...lots a great ideas in my head thus far over it.

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Has there been any word on when it is supposed to be launched?

I am waiting for it to come online so I can start my 4e game!

Tamerath
06-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Has there been any word on when it is supposed to be launched?

Unless I've missed something on the Wizards site they have only said it'll be made avaliable piece by piece in the coming months and once everything is out then they will begin the subscription fee.

I've seen some reviewers they gave a preview to agree that it'll be ready later this year...but I've also seen 2 reviews somewhere that said it could be early next year...

Valdar
06-30-2008, 12:46 PM
I assume this is just GameTable we're talking about, right? DDI already has the first component up (Compendium)-

Tamerath
06-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I assume this is just GameTable we're talking about, right? DDI already has the first component up (Compendium)-

yes the first part of DDI already launched (the Compendium), but Im most excited about the virtual gametable/character visualizer that is still a ways away (based on what I've read thus far).

Valdar
06-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I'd like to see an issue of Dungeon, so I can get a feel for what kinds of skill challenges WotC is coming up with- i.e. how complex, how difficult, how much can I steal for my game...

ryan973
07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I am excited about it. I would love to get a game going with some of my old Army buddies. I think the system is perfect for an online compacity. I do hope they work out the kinks before openeing the doors though I would hate it if i subscribed and the thing crashed only to not be in working order again for a month.

Christopher_rowe
07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I'd like to see an issue of Dungeon, so I can get a feel for what kinds of skill challenges WotC is coming up with- i.e. how complex, how difficult, how much can I steal for my game...

Well, right now all the DDI content that's available is still free, so you can look at the current issue of Dungeon. There's a pretty good example of a skill challenge in the Heathen adventure that has the characters tracking an individual through several villages and across the wilderness in a large geographical area.

Dimthar
05-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Something makes me thing that the "Virtual Table" is going to be launched around the same time of Starcraft II.

By that time my New Computer won't be able to run them! :(

Moritz
05-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I've used Gametable before. It's great.
The only issue (which is a non issue) that I've had is you have to open a port on the router so people can get into your table. Which requires some knowledge of how to navigate your router.
Other than that, very easy to use.
Oh, and FREE.

tesral
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Question to those in the know (if any) is the DDI virtual table as dead as this thread? A pie in the sky promise? Or have they done something worthy of note?

Flelm
05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Mostly dead. Their main focus at this point is something called a "Campaign Builder". No word on what exactly will be included in this.

Mead
05-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Given their track record with computer tools, I'd have to agree that the VTT is as dead as it's going to get.

Valdar
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
From an article in January, by Bill Slavicsek:

After that… well, we’re working on that. We had grand plans and we were overly ambitious in what could actually be accomplished in the time we had. We don’t want to overextend or overpromise anymore. We’re going to finish the D&D Character Builder, then take stock of where we are and what we can and should concentrate on next. Things are in the works, and I look forward to the day when the whole grand plan comes together. But we’ll be more realistic in our goals and timelines moving forward. I’ll talk more about this in the weeks and months ahead, both here and in Digital Insider.

tesral
05-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Translation: The same time Duke Nukum Forever comes out.

Farcaster
05-20-2009, 02:54 AM
That's unfortunate, because I really wanted to try that Digital Table out with my old group in Dallas. :(

Valdar
05-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Yep. The same people who complained that D&D 4th edition is a computer game are now complaining that it isn't.

Grimwell
05-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Yep. The same people who complained that D&D 4th edition is a computer game are now complaining that it isn't.

You just gotta love irony. Though Wizards shouldn't have been so ambitious in public until they were certain they could deliver. Ah well, there is always the future to hope on right? :confused: