PDA

View Full Version : Next Sourcebook - Knights of the Old Republic

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
The next sourcebook to be released for the Star Wars Saga Edition is the Knights of the Old Republic (August 15th?).

What are your hope, fears, wishes, concerning the new product?

I for one am hoping for lots of content covering the Tales of the Jedi comics. Although I fear with all the hype over the KotOR video game and comics that there will not be very much info.

I would also like to see some of the gear from the KotOR video game as well. Computer Spikes were a nice addition to Threats of the Galaxy, and I would like to see advanced medpacks, life support packs, and antidote kits, since I have added these in my game already it would be nice to see official write-ups for them.

Anyone else?

Webhead
06-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I for one am hoping for lots of content covering the Tales of the Jedi comics. Although I fear with all the hype over the KotOR video game and comics that there will not be very much info.

This is my hope/fear as well. I want a lot of the style and material to come from the "Tales" comics, but get the impression that it will be predominantly "Kotor" related information (hence the name of the supplement).

Thriondel Half-Elven
06-26-2008, 12:36 PM
there's nothing wrong with KOTOR is there? i think it is going to be great either way.

Webhead
06-26-2008, 12:55 PM
there's nothing wrong with KOTOR is there? i think it is going to be great either way.

No, but it is quite different from Tales and I liked the Tales comics a lot, that's all.

In a perfect world, the sourcebook would draw from both properties.

kujester
08-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Anyone pick up the sourcebook yet? Any opinions or thoughts on it? At some point I'll need to pick it up for my own compulsive issues, but I was kind of curious to see if I should make it a priority.

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-18-2008, 09:39 PM
No, but it is quite different from Tales and I liked the Tales comics a lot, that's all.

In a perfect world, the sourcebook would draw from both properties.

true and that would make for a better product in the end. i think.

Anyone pick up the sourcebook yet? Any opinions or thoughts on it? At some point I'll need to pick it up for my own compulsive issues, but I was kind of curious to see if I should make it a priority.

is it out already? i haven't seen it yet.

Webhead
08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
is it out already? i haven't seen it yet.

Just checked, WotC's site says it releases tomorrow.

Grrr...and just when I was trying to save money...they always do this to me...[Herman Munster]Darn, darn, darn![/Herman Munster]

kujester
08-19-2008, 07:41 AM
I got a bit confused as when I went to my local Borders the other day two copies were sitting on the shelf. I did a quick flip, but as I am not running a Saga campaign for the moment skipped the purchase.

Webhead
08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I got a bit confused as when I went to my local Borders the other day two copies were sitting on the shelf. I did a quick flip, but as I am not running a Saga campaign for the moment skipped the purchase.

It's very possible that they (purposefully or unknowingly) stocked the books early. It happens. Now that it's out, I'm gonna have to cruise to a local bookstore and see if I can get a quick flip-through. I'm curious about exactly what the book has to offer.

MortonStromgal
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
if its good I might actually use the saga book :)

Webhead
08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
I actually still have my D6 Tales of the Jedi Sourcebook, but I'm curious how this new book will differ due to the influx of material from the KotOR games (and the fact that it's written post-prequel trilogy). What we really needed was a Saga version of the Power of the Jedi sourcebook...oh well.

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Just checked, WotC's site says it releases tomorrow.

Grrr...and just when I was trying to save money...they always do this to me...[Herman Munster]Darn, darn, darn![/Herman Munster]

I am definately going to check it out and snag me a copy if i can. I know what you mean about them bringing out something wicked cool at the same time i am trying to save money

Webhead
08-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I am definately going to check it out and snag me a copy if i can. I know what you mean about them bringing out something wicked cool at the same time i am trying to save money

And then, a month from now, they'll be realeasing the Force Unleashed game and RPG sourcebook which, of course, I'll have to buy...and the cycle continues. :mad:

Inquisitor Tremayne
08-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I got mine!!!!!!!!!!!

Best RPG Sourcebook EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce:

Now that that is out of my system only one bad thing. Weapon and Armor Accessories. They use an upgrade slot cost that is detailed in the Scum and Villany book, NOT this one. So far that is the only bad thing.

Everything else is freaking awesome!

There is sooooooooo much freaking information its like info overload!

New things:

11 new species; Arkanian, Cathar, Draethos, Feeorin, Khil, Kissai and Massassi, Miraluka, Rakata, Selkath and Snivvian

A brief look at different Group Concepts like a Corporate Investigative Team, etc...
New Talent Trees for ALL of the classes

New Feat combinations; if you have a combination of feats you gain a bonus use/action that you may perform with them. Seems incomplete and I can only guess that there will be more in the coming books.

21 new Feats; and they are pretty cool!

New Talent Trees for some PrCs

New Force Powers; Energy Resistance, Fear, Force Scream, Force Whirlwind, Ionize, Kinetic Combat, Resist Force, Slow, Valor, and Wound

New General Force Talents also!

New Force Techniques; Dominate Mind (AWESOME!), Imporved Energy Resistance, Improved Force Stun, Improved Force Slam, Improved Ionize, Improved Kinetic Combat, Improved Resist Force, Improved Valor, Improved Vital Transfer, and Language Absorption!

Info on different Jedi Organizations

New Force Using traditions, The Jal Shey, Keetael, The Krath, Luka Sene, and the Order of Shasa

Tons of new weapons and gear including, Pulse-wave weapons, implants, visors, energy shields, and the stealth field generator

Tons of new ships and vehicles including swoops, speeder bikes, a new landspeeder and airspeeder, starfighters, and capital ships

The introduction of Gear Templates; add on a template from a galactic manufacturer such as Cinnagar and the item gains special properties!

Weapon Templates

Armor Templates

New Droids; and including some detailed info on HK models.

A section on an Old Republic Campaign

A Galactic Gazetteer

Detailed information on the Jedi, the Sith, The Republic, and the Mandolorains. Yes they all have their own chapter and includes write ups of personalities from each organization.

The final chapter is a list of write ups of Allies and Opponent NPCs.

Man this book rocks!

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
And then, a month from now, they'll be realeasing the Force Unleashed game and RPG sourcebook which, of course, I'll have to buy...and the cycle continues. :mad:

exactly

Webhead
08-19-2008, 10:27 PM
I got mine!!!!!!!!!!!

Best RPG Sourcebook EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce:

...*SNIP*...

Wow! I've gotta check this thing out! How many pages are in that book? :shocked:

Igbutton
08-19-2008, 10:44 PM
If it's as good as Inquisitor Tremayne says, I'm going to have to kill my character and reroll just to have access to all the new stuff.

Inquisitor Tremayne
08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Wow! I've gotta check this thing out! How many pages are in that book? :shocked:

Page count is 223!

Yes thick indeed! Comparatively.

It is awesome in the amount of options that are now available. It is almost overwhelming the options for just equipment alone characters now have access too. There will be throwing plenty of this into my current campaign!

The only other thing that is missing are stimulants. The fact that the different visors and other gear from the KotOR video game made it in here I am surprised to not see stimulants.

BUT, with all these gear options they all offer minor tweaks to various bits of gear which in the grand scheme of things wouldn't have THAT much of a significant impact on the galaxy overall. So it is not too hard to believe that the heroes of the movies wouldn't be taking advantage of all the options that, I am guessing are now canon, are presented in this book. For example, you can continue to run your game as normal and even throwing in heavy amounts of all these "new" things wouldn't really alter much.

I realized this last night as we were playing and I was flipping through it to see what I could purchase for my Jedi character. And honestly, there were very few things and those few things my character could probably live without.

OH! Did I mention they added in lightsaber crystals? And they did an awesome job of integrating them too! While the various crystals do grant bonuses to things like deflect and block and damage and what-not, if you use one you loose the +1 to hit from being a self-built lightsaber. So THAT is good. I was concerned.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. In fact I suggest getting this book over the Threats of the Galaxy. Starships of the Galaxy is almost a necessity so get that one too. Threats is just so-so. This book ROCKS!

Saga just keeps getting better and better!

Webhead
08-20-2008, 09:41 AM
...OH! Did I mention they added in lightsaber crystals? And they did an awesome job of integrating them too! While the various crystals do grant bonuses to things like deflect and block and damage and what-not, if you use one you loose the +1 to hit from being a self-built lightsaber. So THAT is good. I was concerned...

I'm very glad to hear that. I too was worried about making lightsabers even more powerful. It's nice that they balanced it out a little bit.

canadiansatan
08-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Is there a stealth field generator? I've always wondered how to price invisability.

Igbutton
08-21-2008, 01:11 AM
In one of the previews a character had a stealth field generator. I found the link to the preview on this site so you should be able to dig it up.

kujester
08-21-2008, 08:34 AM
It's on the Preview 5:

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/downloads/KOTOR_preview5.pdf

It looks like it provided a bonus to Stealth checks, which is how I have always designed stealth generators when I've had to do them from scratch. They really aren't true invisibility for those who are very perceptive.

Webhead
08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I've always been very leery of "stealth field" generators and the "cloaking devices" on Chameleon Droids from the Clone Wars cartoon. I tend to reach back to Empire Strikes Back for my take on "invisibility" and "cloaking" in Star Wars.

Captain Needa (regarding the Falcon): "Impossible! No ship that small has a cloaking device!"

I like to keep "cloaking" relegated to huge (and grossly complex and expensive) devices that require massive energy consumption to operate.

But that's just me. It would be interesting to see what bonus they grant in the KotOR sourcebook.

Inquisitor Tremayne
08-21-2008, 02:30 PM
A stealth field generator grants a character concealment, but not total concealment. Swift action to activate and lasts until the end of the encounter or until the character takes damage, makes an attack or uses a Force power, whichever comes first.

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-21-2008, 10:25 PM
A stealth field generator grants a character concealment, but not total concealment. Swift action to activate and lasts until the end of the encounter or until the character takes damage, makes an attack or uses a Force power, whichever comes first.

aaaahhhhhh! still haven't gotten a chance too check it out. you all make me jealous.!!!!! aaahhhh

Webhead
08-22-2008, 10:11 AM
aaaahhhhhh! still haven't gotten a chance too check it out. you all make me jealous.!!!!! aaahhhh

You're not the only one. I stopped by Barnes & Noble the other day to see if there was a copy I could browse and there was nothing! :(

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-22-2008, 06:23 PM
You're not the only one. I stopped by Barnes & Noble the other day to see if there was a copy I could browse and there was nothing! :(

me too. but i was at a new HUGE borders that just got built and they had like 5 RPG books total. and no KOTOR book. i want to go now!!!!!

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-22-2008, 09:04 PM
went to barnes and noble. no KOTOR book. they ordered one. but with me being impatient we went to the HUGE borders and looked. no book. so we asked and they searched. they looked. and said that they had ONE in transit and ONE on hand but it was on hold for some one.

Man talk about no luck.

but then another worker said that the hold had expired and it was mine if i wanted it. so naturally i got it.

from what i saw when i flipped through it before purchasing it it looked amazing. can't wait to read through it. i love the old republic era.

i'll let everyone know what i think

Webhead
08-22-2008, 09:26 PM
went to barnes and noble. no KOTOR book. they ordered one. but with me being impatient we went to the HUGE borders and looked. no book. so we asked and they searched. they looked. and said that they had ONE in transit and ONE on hand but it was on hold for some one.

Man talk about no luck.

but then another worker said that the hold had expired and it was mine if i wanted it. so naturally i got it.

from what i saw when i flipped through it before purchasing it it looked amazing. can't wait to read through it. i love the old republic era.

i'll let everyone know what i think

Cool. I just broke down and ordered myself a copy from Amazon. Every review I've seen of it says it's fantastic, so I figured I may as well go for broke. Hopefully it will be arriving Monday (dang mail doesn't deliver on Sundays...*grumble*)

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Cool. I just broke down and ordered myself a copy from Amazon. Every review I've seen of it says it's fantastic, so I figured I may as well go for broke. Hopefully it will be arriving Monday (dang mail doesn't deliver on Sundays...*grumble*)

oh you'll love it, i'm sure. let me know what you think

Webhead
08-25-2008, 10:58 PM
oh you'll love it, i'm sure. let me know what you think

Got it today and paged through it for about an hour this evening. Color me very impressed. It is definately the best of the sourcebooks that have been released for Saga Edition thus far and it is literally packed with information for players and GMs. There is a good bit of additional rules material (new talents, feats, PrC's, gear, ships, etc.) which is good, but there is also extensive discussions on the major factions of the era, the major conflicts and advice on how to run games set in the "glory days" of the Old Republic.

A downright essential supplement for anyone who plays Saga Edition (and it's a steal for the price you can get it from Amazon...but hey, I'm frugal :)).

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Got it today and paged through it for about an hour this evening. Color me very impressed. It is definately the best of the sourcebooks that have been released for Saga Edition thus far and it is literally packed with information for players and GMs. There is a good bit of additional rules material (new talents, feats, PrC's, gear, ships, etc.) which is good, but there is also extensive discussions on the major factions of the era, the major conflicts and advice on how to run games set in the "glory days" of the Old Republic.

A downright essential supplement for anyone who plays Saga Edition (and it's a steal for the price you can get it from Amazon...but hey, I'm frugal :)).

Nothing wrong with saving some money. you have to now adays:)

but yes very very good. i like how each faction entry had what ships they use, etc. and how they went into detail with the conflicts and it looks like they added stuff from both KOTOR games and comics.

i know we had a thread going about what would be included.