PDA

View Full Version : what was your favorite 1st ed adventure?

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 12:38 AM
with the new edition of dungens and dragons having been released, i was wondering what everyone's favorite old school AD&D adventure was? 1st edition prefered, but second edition is kosher as well.

my all time favorite, not because of the quality or story, per se, but because my group had a ton of fun playing it, and i enjoyed the heck out of dming it was S4, Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth.

Drelnza gave the party fits, having charmed most of them, knocked all the rest except the thief out of commission, and finally falling to some incredibly lucky dice rolling.

the party had a wild free for all against the chasme, and the dao had them confused for a bit until they remembered they were in hostile territory...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 02:32 AM
B1: In Search of the Unknown, & B2: Keep on the Borderlands, come to mind.

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
We never played a lot of adventure modules for D&D to my recollection, but one of my favorites was for Basic D&D, and came from the Bestiary of Dragons and Giants adventure collection (which I still have :)). I forget the name of it at the moment, but it was the first adventure in that book, designed for low-level (levels 1-3) characters and involved the PCs traveling through a snowy mountain pass and encountering the lair of a young white dragon.

I ran the module several times with different groups and always had a blast with it. There were a few really interesting and unique NPCs to it that were great fun to portray and it was equally full of interesting role playing scenes and neat combat encounters. Plus, there was actually motivation for the PCs to venture into the dragon's lair, and if played up by a good DM, the party can actually develop an attachment to the NPCs and vice versa.

We played a couple adventure modules from "Introductory Game" boxed sets, and a couple of those were cool (especially one that had the PCs roaming a haunted house and trying to uncover the mystery of its ghostly inhabitants...I really creeped my players out with that one), but no other D&D adventure I played was as much fun as the "White Dragon" one.

Mead
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 11:30 AM

i picked up a copy of that last week from the used bin at the flgs. man, that may have been the best written d&d module of the 1st ed era. its probably my favorite to read, by far! excellent choice ;)

Mead
06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I might also have said L1 Secret of Bone Hill, but I only ever read it, never got a chance to play or DM it (although I did the prep work on it, apparently I planned to run it and never did). Shamed to say I'd forgotten about it until I read the L4 thread here!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Great one!

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
I might also have said L1 Secret of Bone Hill, but I only ever read it, never got a chance to play or DM it (although I did the prep work on it, apparently I planned to run it and never did). Shamed to say I'd forgotten about it until I read the L4 thread here!
Another excellent one.

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
06-26-2008, 01:23 PM

A friend of mine has Bone Hill and had converted some parts of it for use in his 3.5 campaign a few years ago. What he took us through was kinda fun (though we ganked the evil Mage in it really quick), but that was the only experience I've had with that module.

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 02:02 PM

L1 (and its sequel, L2, the assassin's knot) got a lot of (undeserved) bad press when it came out. i thought len did a nice job of introducing the concept of "things happen whether you're there or not" with the timeline of events that occured unless the party intervened at some point. all and all, and excellent adventure, and a nice example of thinking outside the (dungeoncrawl) box...

tesral
06-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Ravenloft, the first one. And White Plume Mountain. I have gotten more traction out of those two modules than the rest I own combined.

Mead
06-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Ravenloft, the first one. And White Plume Mountain. I have gotten more traction out of those two modules than the rest I own combined.

Yeah, Ravenloft (I6?) was a great one. I think one of the very few I've run more than once. Still have my playing card deck for it somewhere here =)

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 11:24 PM

i've actually dm'd more TPKs using ravenloft than i have tomb of horrors. i could never figure out why my players insisted on treating I6 like a standard dungeon crawl.

white plume mountain was a blast, but the first group i ever ran through it almost killed each other over who got to keep black razor. i didnt care for the 30th anniversary update of WPM. thought it was the weakest of the "revisited" adventures...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2008, 02:20 AM
Great one! Ah, the memories.

Thoth-Amon

upidstay
06-29-2008, 07:19 AM
"The Keep on the Borderlands", just because it was my very first adventure I ever ran as a DM. It was MY boxed set, so I was the default DM. Played in it a couple of times to. Remember raiding the armory? Felt like Elvis when I got that magic spear from the Minotaur in his maze.

All time fave, would have to be the G series, "Against the Giants".

Hardest on players? The D series. Wiped out several high level parties in D3 Vault of the Drow, and not on purpose, either. I generally try and avoild TPK's, personally don't believe in them. But that was one TOUGH adventure. Having a city full of Drow after you is a very bad thing.

tesral
06-29-2008, 12:01 PM
"The Keep on the Borderlands", just because it was my very first adventure I ever ran as a DM. It was MY boxed set, so I was the default DM. Played in it a couple of times to. Remember raiding the armory? Felt like Elvis when I got that magic spear from the Minotaur in his maze.

Hardest on players? The D series. Wiped out several high level parties in D3 Vault of the Drow, and not on purpose, either. I generally try and avoild TPK's, personally don't believe in them. But that was one TOUGH adventure. Having a city full of Drow after you is a very bad thing.

I ran the full series. G and D. They were not the favorites by far. I got good use from them but being Convention modules there were a little more scripted than I would prefer. We didn't use the pregen character. I remember the D series for my late Wife's character, the elf that couldn't keep her hair.

The G series produced "Cesaro the Club". The Gnome Magician that tried levitating in the Yeti cave. One grabbed his leg and started beating the party with him. He barely survived.

Lord those were the days. Playing with the "Weregamers" at U of M.

Dravion
06-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I always loved the I6 Ravenloft module. But then again I also loved the Classic S1 Tomb of Horrors. When playing Tomb of Horrors you learned the meaning of expect the unexpected, or at least with the old DM I had you did.

Webhead
06-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I've never played Tomb of Horrors or Temple of Elemental Evil, but I always hear such horror stories about parties that were put through them.

I still have I6 Ravenloft, though I've never actually run a party through it. Would very much like to sometime.

notrealdan
06-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I've never played any of these classics, so I feel like I've missed out on a lot. I'd love to see these adapted to either 3.5E or 4E. I might see do it myself for one or two of them. Do you guys think most of these would translate well, or do you think they should be played as they are with the older edition rules?

agoraderek
06-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I've never played any of these classics, so I feel like I've missed out on a lot. I'd love to see these adapted to either 3.5E or 4E. I might see do it myself for one or two of them. Do you guys think most of these would translate well, or do you think they should be played as they are with the older edition rules?

they translate to 3.x fairly well, but generally speaking, you might have to add a couple of levels to the suggested party strength. monsters translate directly, though you may need tome of horrors for some of the stat blocks. npcs take a bit more time, depending on how thorough you want to be.

the adventures would probably work well in 4e as well, but with a lot more stat work and having to approximate the monsters not in the mm. maybe it would be best to wait until a couple monster suppliments are released for 4e to make the work a bit easier.

agoraderek
06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I've never played Tomb of Horrors or Temple of Elemental Evil, but I always hear such horror stories about parties that were put through them.

I still have I6 Ravenloft, though I've never actually run a party through it. Would very much like to sometime.

tomb of horrors rocked, but i never ran "campaign" characters through it, just "one offs". TPK is a near certainty most of the time, after all.

i never liked temple of elemental evil. i loved village of hommlett, but the second half (i guess it would be "T-2-4"?) always seemed too forced and "kitchen sink-y" to me...

notrealdan
06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
maybe it would be best to wait until a couple monster suppliments are released for 4e to make the work a bit easier.

I agree, the huge resource of monsters available in 3.x would make that part of the conversion easier. Of course, I don't own any 3.5 MMs except the core one, so either way I've got a decision to make...

As I'm sure most of you know, Tomb of Horrors and White Plume Mountain have already been converted to 3.5 by WotC (as free PDFs here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b)) so I might start there for conversion ideas. Thanks!

kirksmithicus
06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I loved the whole A series, but especially A4.

A4 - You wake up with no equipment or weapons and have to improvise weapons out of what you find or use stealth to sneak up on the monsters and use force to overpower them. Just seemed like it required a lot of resourcefulness and teamwork in order to survive and escape.

agoraderek
06-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I loved the whole A series, but especially A4.

A4 - You wake up with no equipment or weapons and have to improvise weapons out of what you find or use stealth to sneak up on the monsters and use force to overpower them. Just seemed like it required a lot of resourcefulness and teamwork in order to survive and escape.

i never got to DM that with my old longtime group. they actually came up with a good plan to take out the slavers in the third installment. but i've PLAYED A4. nothing like trying to take on kobolds with a rusty dagger and a rock. on their turf. with a dm who probably taught the guy who wrote "slayer's guide to kobolds" everything he wrote...

agoraderek
06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree, the huge resource of monsters available in 3.x would make that part of the conversion easier. Of course, I don't own any 3.5 MMs except the core one, so either way I've got a decision to make...

As I'm sure most of you know, Tomb of Horrors and White Plume Mountain have already been converted to 3.5 by WotC (as free PDFs here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b)) so I might start there for conversion ideas. Thanks!

if you dont already have it, get necromancer game's "tome of horror". it is a wonderful resource for the stuff left out of 3e originally. get the second edition/printing, though, the format is better

agoraderek
07-05-2008, 02:27 AM
I ran the full series. G and D. They were not the favorites by far.

i forgot to ask earlier, sorry. but what's not to love about a random 18th level lich in a side cave near the troglodyte lair? and the vampire / succubus lovers? and the crazed kuo toan monitor playing toll keeper? man, i misss the wacky randomness of gygax's early modules!

tesral
07-05-2008, 07:08 AM
i forgot to ask earlier, sorry. but what's not to love about a random 18th level lich in a side cave near the troglodyte lair? and the vampire / succubus lovers? and the crazed kuo toan monitor playing toll keeper? man, i misss the wacky randomness of gygax's early modules!

I suppose I don't. The element of "gotya" has never been something I like. Smacks of player vs DM.

Amazing Ronaldo
07-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Tough one! I would have to say two of my favorites were U1-Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, and I6-Ravenloft.

U1 was a good beginning adventure and had some RP, investigation, and good old combat. It had a good plot which was not quickly discovered by the players. I really enjoyed DMing that one.

I6 was probably my all time favorite to DM as well. It had a great plot and I loved that Strahd's motivations could be different each time you played the module. And he was more like a PC for the DM at the time and it was fun to pit myself against the group like that. It is how I made many villains of my own later on. Mostly The first time we played it, the group was badly beaten up and tried to rest in the basement with only single guards. Bad idea! Strahd changed their cleric into a likeness of himself and then changed to look like our cleric. They killed our real cleric and he escaped the castle with the group. That first night their cleric went missing. LMAO ... they finally figured it out and were sooooo mad at me.

-R

Law Dog
07-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Hey, who couldn't love boxing and wrestling robots that could maim you. It's a big cheese module, but it's good cheese.

I also have a fondness for Castle Amber which was actually for the Basic or Expert game, but converted nicely. Heck, this module was essentially Ravenloft before Ravenloft existed.

The Giants and Slavers modules were also great extended adventures.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-05-2008, 11:24 PM

I have plenty of memories of the GDQ series. For kids, the Drow were especially scary. We, as a party, would sneak around trying not to be avoided. Man, our hearts were racing. Great times, great fun.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Tough one! I would have to say two of my favorites were U1-Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, and I6-Ravenloft.

U1 was a good beginning adventure and had some RP, investigation, and good old combat. It had a good plot which was not quickly discovered by the players. I really enjoyed DMing that one.

I6 was probably my all time favorite to DM as well. It had a great plot and I loved that Strahd's motivations could be different each time you played the module. And he was more like a PC for the DM at the time and it was fun to pit myself against the group like that. It is how I made many villains of my own later on. Mostly The first time we played it, the group was badly beaten up and tried to rest in the basement with only single guards. Bad idea! Strahd changed their cleric into a likeness of himself and then changed to look like our cleric. They killed our real cleric and he escaped the castle with the group. That first night their cleric went missing. LMAO ... they finally figured it out and were sooooo mad at me.

-R
U1 was great and still talked about today by us old folks. Sadly though, i have yet to play I6 Ravenloft. Perhaps one day. We still get together once a year, at least, and run the old stuff.

Thoth-Amon

tesral
07-05-2008, 11:59 PM
U1 was great and still talked about today by us old folks. Sadly though, i have yet to play i6 Ravenloft. Perhaps one day. We still get together once a year, at least, and run the old stuff.

Thoth-Amon

I6 stands the test of time. I pull it out now and again. I use the castle for other things.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-06-2008, 01:16 AM
I6 stands the test of time. I pull it out now and again. I use the castle for other things.
I've heard nothing but great things... memorable adventures from those lucky folks that have played it. Hmmm, i think i will make a call tomorrow and see if i cant set up a game date with the other "old folks" and play this one.

Thoth-Amon

Stormhound
07-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Of the ones I ran, probably L1/2. I didn't run a lot of modules, because I tended to prefer to create my own worlds and adventures, but there were excursions into Greyhawk and FR along the way too.

drewshi
08-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Dungeonland, Gygax's tribute to Alice in Wonderland. It's just so weird and it makes a great curve ball when you've been playing a straight-laced campaign to hit your players with something odd and see how they're going to react.

Jcosby
08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Wow, 1st. Edition modules in my mind were some of the most well written modules ever. Lots of the favorites have been listed already, A, S, G, N and U series modules were tops. Village of Homlett was a fantastic starting point for any group. The T series was a bit much I wish they would have written the T series as seperate modules and not come out with T1-4 later.

A lot of people have mentioned I6 which in it's self is a great module if you like the Ravenloft setting which I didn't. I think the the I3-5 Desert of Desolation series were the stars of the I series. The writing was top notch but what do you expect from Tracy and Laura Hickman. All three stand right up there with the best of all time. Pharaoh, Oasis of the White Palm and Lost Tomb of Market.

Jeff

olshanski
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I like B4 The lost City and Judges Guild "Caverns of Thracia"

Mead
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow, 1st. Edition modules in my mind were some of the most well written modules ever. Lots of the favorites have been listed already, A, S, G, N and U series modules were tops. Village of Homlett was a fantastic starting point for any group. The T series was a bit much I wish they would have written the T series as seperate modules and not come out with T1-4 later.

A lot of people have mentioned I6 which in it's self is a great module if you like the Ravenloft setting which I didn't. I think the the I3-5 Desert of Desolation series were the stars of the I series. The writing was top notch but what do you expect from Tracy and Laura Hickman. All three stand right up there with the best of all time. Pharaoh, Oasis of the White Palm and Lost Tomb of Market.

Jeff
Ah, memories. I ran I3-5 for a buddy in high school, converted it to a solo adventure. Had almost forgotten about that.

tesral
08-19-2008, 04:11 PM

Jeff

I've made good use of the Desert series, including a player that mapped the "unmappable" level off the top of his head.

I was actually easy to find the Sea of Glass onto my world as the place of an ancient battle between two gods that was already established in my world's mythology.

Excior
10-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I think the first True 1st edt AD&D module I ever went through was the Village of Hommlet which later became part of The Temple of Elemental super Module. Ravenloft was also a good one. I as DM had several coffins for Straud laid out over all of the Borovia. and Who can forget the Keep on the Borderlands it was real cool. as well as the Isle of Dread. and the Castle Amber Module it was cool too.

Excior
10-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Dungeonland, Gygax's tribute to Alice in Wonderland. It's just so weird and it makes a great curve ball when you've been playing a straight-laced campaign to hit your players with something odd and see how they're going to react.

I had forgotten about those I liked playing in them as well.

Greylond
10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
So many great memories.

Keep on the Borderlands
Castle Amber
A1-4 The Slavers series
G1-3 Against the Giants
the D series
Village of Homlet
EX1&2
S1 Tomb of Horrors

There's a bunch more I'm sure but all that sprang in my mind when I read this...

Excior
10-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Ohh what about Dungeon Module S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks its was a pretty cool twist to the game. I have since wanted to convert it to 3.5 using the d20 starwars rules for the sci Fi parts of the module in effect It would be a ship from the Star Wars universe that crashlanded on Oreth.

Greylond
10-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Yea, that one was very kewl also...

I think it'd be easier to just say EVERY module published for 1st Edition... :)

tesral
10-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Yea, that one was very kewl also...

I think it'd be easier to just say EVERY module published for 1st Edition... :)

Then you don't have a favorite.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Yep. It's true, i have great memories of all the greats, except Ravenloft. Never got to play that one. I am involved with a Ravenloft campaign now which has been converted to 4ed. Probably doesnt count, though.

So, best would be for me? How 'bouts B1: In Search of the Unknown. Fantastic memories.

cplmac
10-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Actually we are currently running S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth using the AD&D 2nd Edition. So far the group seems to be enjoying it. So far the party has only encountered a huge group of hobgoblins, a trio of Hill Giants, and a Blue Dragon. There is an elf that they keep seeing but they don't know what he is up to.

Greylond
10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Then you don't have a favorite.

If I had to pick one, I guess it would have to be B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. That was my first AD&D game and after that we played it over and over with different DMs and different characters.

gdmcbride
10-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Hmmm...well, let's see

UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave

When most first edition modules we hack fests, this one encouraged a non-violent response to the problem. A great one.

U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

The Scooby Doo D&D adventure. Seriously.

S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

A crashed starship, mutants from space and loopy robots. Genius.

I6 Ravenloft

Beautiful, brilliant, revolutionary. Strahd wasn't just a villian, he was sympathetic. He wasn't just a vampire, he was a wizard as well. Oozes style. Great map. Intensely atmospheric. Any serious RPG adventure library must include this one.

D3 Vault of the Drow

This adventure is a blood-soaked acid trip into a decadent fairy land of drow, demons and subterranean wierdness. D&D at its most divergent and most creative.

I3 Pharaoh

The classic raid into a haunted, trapped pyramid adventure. What's not to love.

B2 Keep on the Borderlands

So elegant, so simple and yet so full of adventure. This is an introductory adventure done right. The first D&D adventure I ever played or owned.

These are seven that I have fond memories of.

Gary

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-18-2008, 09:40 PM
If I had to pick one, I guess it would have to be B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. That was my first AD&D game and after that we played it over and over with different DMs and different characters.
B2: Keep on the borderlands. Very, very cool, and a close 2nd. I loved all the old stuff. Memories are as fresh and lucid as if i played them last week.

kirksmithicus
10-18-2008, 11:20 PM
I think I have mentioned this before, but I would love to do a KOTB Redux. Keep the old school flavor but update it for 4E or 3.x, whatever your flavor. Have people submit homebrew material from what they remember from when you used to play the module. Throw in some good maps, new NPC descriptions and update the encounters. Possibly set it a little further along in the time-line to add a small village. Anyway, one of my 16 Brazilian projects I want to do.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-18-2008, 11:43 PM
We have two campaigns currently ongoing that have been updated to 4th edition, and they are Ravenloft, and Worlds Largest Dungeon. What's my point? The way 4th edition has been set up, it would take very little prep time to update B2. Wish i lived closer, i'd love to join in on your game.

nijineko
10-19-2008, 12:19 AM
b2-keep on the borderlands. ^^ my very first d&d game.

as a point of interest, i just finished the tomb of horrors for the first time ever. and actually lived. well, we lost over half the party, but we did survive. ^^ we were playing the return to the tomb of horrors to be exact, but my dm was converting it to 3.x on the fly, and he told me that he added or changed some things. beefed up, don't you know. ^^ thank goodness for the ebauer! we'd have all died at the fake demi-lich at the end if it wasn't for her!

i also wound up getting bonus xp from the dm for thinking of a way (after the fact) to kill the real demi-lich from the tomb that he's never heard anyone mention before.

upidstay
10-19-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm actually cannibalizing alot of the old adventures for my current 3.5 campaign. Using the maps, mostly. But, I did use the Evil Temple part, but had to pump up the critters because the the party was too powerful for the listed monsters.

Going to use my all time fave, Against the Giants after they've gotten a few more levels. I loooooove that module.

upidstay
10-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Just remembered. I did see Keep on the Borderlands redux book at a gaming shop. It was a 3rd party publisher. I think it was version 3.5. Cost around 30 bucks, which is over my budget of, well, no bucks, so I passed.

Greylond
10-19-2008, 07:25 AM
There's Little Keep on the Borderlands for HackMaster. K&Co expanded it to a mini-campaign. It was their 2nd published HackMaster adventure and it is still considered one of their best.

Stormhound
10-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Of the ones I actually got to run, I'd say L1-2.

Of the ones I didn't, probably U1-3.

ChaunceyK
10-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Two spring to mind for me. I played D&D 3rd Revision in the mid-late 80's, if I remember right. Anyway...

The first favorite of mine was our very first adventure. Don't remember the name of it, but the big baddie was a mage named Bargle & we were storming a 3-level dungeon to find him. I remember Kobolds guarding the gate, a carrion crawler on the way to the gate, and a dinner hall on the first level with harpies. It was a favorite because it was my first adventure.

The other, I believe was called Isle of Dread. Kind of a "lost world" type of adventure. I remember a T-Rex style dinosaur, alligators, a primitve society, and my Thief (they weren't yet called Rogues) finding a Neutral-based Intelligence Sword that was +1 to hit/damage & could levitate my Thief up to 3 times a day. An all-around fun adventure.

Anyone else remember these adventures?

nijineko
10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
there is also a 2nd ed "return to the keep on the borderlands" one of the silver anniversary editions.

i am currently going through the entire "gdq1-7 against the giants" campaign. we are currently on g3. ^^

gdmcbride
10-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Two spring to mind for me. I played D&D 3rd Revision in the mid-late 80's, if I remember right. Anyway...

The first favorite of mine was our very first adventure. Don't remember the name of it, but the big baddie was a mage named Bargle & we were storming a 3-level dungeon to find him. I remember Kobolds guarding the gate, a carrion crawler on the way to the gate, and a dinner hall on the first level with harpies. It was a favorite because it was my first adventure.

The other, I believe was called Isle of Dread. Kind of a "lost world" type of adventure. I remember a T-Rex style dinosaur, alligators, a primitve society, and my Thief (they weren't yet called Rogues) finding a Neutral-based Intelligence Sword that was +1 to hit/damage & could levitate my Thief up to 3 times a day. An all-around fun adventure.

Anyone else remember these adventures?

Bargle is the evil wizard from the unnamed sample adventure in the 1983 basic set.

X1 Isle of Dread by the late great Tom Moldvay was the first expert adventure and came with the Blue Box.

The Isle of Dread is also featured prominently in Paizo's Savage Tide AP.

Great stuff.

Gary

agoraderek
10-20-2008, 03:52 AM
wow, thread necromancy at its finest! :)

Webhead
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Bargle is the evil wizard from the unnamed sample adventure in the 1983 basic set...

There is many an adventurer that has it out for that crazy old coot! *shakes fist*

rabkala
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Against the giants was probably my favorite.
The secret of Bone Hill was probably my second favorite.
Expedition to Barrier peaks was a close third.:fencing:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Against the giants was probably my favorite.
The secret of Bone Hill was probably my second favorite.
Expedition to Barrier peaks was a close third.:fencing:
I loved that module. I've actually hybrid'd it to fit into my Gamma World/Traveller game. Very cool module.

RealmsDM
10-24-2008, 12:28 PM
The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth has always held a special place in my heart.
Other mentionables would have to be:

Tomb of Horrors: you either loved it, or hated it, but everyone has a memory from it. Yes, I was the PC who touched the scepter to the crown- POOF!

Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh: nice & basic= pure fun

Castle Amber: looking back at it I wonder what the writer was smoking- but it made for a great day of D&D!

The Lost City: who can forget this one! It was awesome to see Zargon getting his due in the 3e "Elder Evils" book.

P.S. the Dessert of Desolation campaign was wicked.....

nijineko
10-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Tomb of Horrors: you either loved it, or hated it, but everyone has a memory from it. Yes, I was the PC who touched the scepter to the crown- POOF!

that was you!!?? awesome! =D i mentioned elsewhere that i found an apparently new way to slay the lich... the glowing gem in the large windy hall of pillars? if someone had wished that acererack (sp?) was destroyed....

Excior
10-25-2008, 10:44 AM
that was you!!?? awesome! =D i mentioned elsewhere that i found an apparently new way to slay the lich... the glowing gem in the large windy hall of pillars? if someone had wished that acererack (sp?) was destroyed....

In essence He was already destroyed hince his Demi Lich form

Excior
10-25-2008, 10:48 AM

[color=red]Castle Amber: looking back at it I wonder what the writer was smoking- but it made for a great day of D&D![/red]

The Lost City: who can forget this one! It was awesome to see Zargon getting his due in the 3e "Elder Evils" book.

Reguarding Castle Amber I remember it being sort loosley based on the Fall of the House of Husher I also think it was about the first Module to have a Ravenloft feel before Ravenloft. the fog and what not. as well as the insane D'ambervilles

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Reguarding Castle Amber I remember it being sort loosley based on the Fall of the House of Husher I also think it was about the first Module to have a Ravenloft feel before Ravenloft. the fog and what not. as well as the insane D'ambervilles
Ive always wanted to play Castle Amber. Once my move up north is complete, i must endeavor to get a game going.

Anyone on these boards want to give a quick description and/or play experience of it, omitting spoilers, of course. Thanks.

amardolem
10-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I have fond memories of running Hommlett many times (with just as many bad omlet puns) as a starter (The Caves of Chaos had gotten quite the work out tooo) and running my ongoing campaign thru the giants series the high point being "Steading" the players were in awe being in a Giant's stronghold...not your typical elves and orcs scenario. My last 1e game (and last game for many a year) was Ravenloft, where I played a powerful Druid (I can't recall if I was Great Druid yet) Festeronimus. It was indeed a blast, but I never saw it from the other side of the screen.

Thoth sir! I love the actually chaotic, chaos symbol

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I have fond memories of running Hommlett many times (with just as many bad omlet puns) as a starter (The Caves of Chaos had gotten quite the work out tooo) and running my ongoing campaign thru the giants series the high point being "Steading" the players were in awe being in a Giant's stronghold...not your typical elves and orcs scenario. My last 1e game (and last game for many a year) was Ravenloft, where I played a powerful Druid (I can't recall if I was Great Druid yet) Festeronimus. It was indeed a blast, but I never saw it from the other side of the screen.

Thoth sir! I love the actually chaotic, chaos symbol
Ha! Glad someone appreciates my chaos symbol on these boards. I'm even more impressed that someone figured out where it was from. My symbol seems appropriate, seeing as how my avatar is a Magic User.

amardolem wins the factoid-trivia game for today. :whoo:

agoraderek
10-26-2008, 03:09 AM

Actually, it was based on some stories by Clark Ashton Smith, a contemporary of H.P.Lovecraft and R.E. Howard...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Actually, it was based on some stories by Clark Ashton Smith, a contemporary of H.P.Lovecraft and R.E. Howard...
That explains it. Anything based on Howard and Lovecraft can only go well, in my opinion.

Excior
10-26-2008, 05:15 PM

I remember there being a part where one of the D'ambervilles hears the heart beat of his sister in the floor thats the Fall of the House of Usher, Right?

Webhead
10-26-2008, 11:23 PM
I remember there being a part where one of the D'ambervilles hears the heart beat of his sister in the floor thats the Fall of the House of Usher, Right?

That would be a correct reference, though I've never played Castle Amber so I can't comment on it directly.

agoraderek
10-27-2008, 02:08 AM

yes, it was a nod to both "fall of the house of usher" and "a tell-tale heart", throwing some Poe into the mix. it was truly a wonderfully bizarre module, and fun to play.

RealmsDM
11-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I have to give a special shout-out to all the old adventures that had player hand out art.

Tomb of Horrors
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
White Plume Mountain
Desert of Desolation (this one was awesome)

and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but c'mon, didn't everyone just love these?

Webhead
11-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I have to give a special shout-out to all the old adventures that had player hand out art.

Tomb of Horrors
White Plume Mountain

Yes, player handouts. Use them, love them. I really enjoy it when I can give something to my players to help them visualize the game.

The D6 Star Wars RPG adventure modules were excellent at this. They gave plenty of maps, illustrations and character cards (with accompanying art) to inspire the players.

Addis Hellfire
11-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Not really sure if this really counts, since we played 2E rules and used the first ed. modules, but:

Pretty much all of the Lankhmar adventures, especially Swords and the Undercity, and the one where the wererats invade Lankhmar (forgot the name) . . . lol, Lankhmar was what got me into D&D, and is what I currently DM.

tesral
11-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Not really sure if this really counts, since we played 2E rules and used the first ed. modules, but:

Pretty much all of the Lankhmar adventures, especially Swords and the Undercity, and the one where the wererats invade Lankhmar (forgot the name) . . . lol, Lankhmar was what got me into D&D, and is what I currently DM.

I've got a good deal of the Lankmar stuff. Good stuff all around.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Tomb of Horrors
White Plume Mountain

Gotta love the players handouts. To this day, i make handouts for my players from my homebrew modules.

Would you believe i have attempted to play EttBP's a few times since its initial release. To this day, i have yet to finish that particular module. Once my move to the Bay Area is complete, my plan is to play it through to its completion. Cant wait.

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-17-2008, 01:56 PM
I liked the 3.x port of Ravenloft... even though its really not the same.. none of that 1sted magic. but I could certainly feel the powerful emanations of ancient (1970s) power

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Remember all the handouts for ToH? Wow! Some very cool pictures that will forever be burned into my brain.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I liked the 3.x port of Ravenloft... even though its really not the same.. none of that 1sted magic. but I could certainly feel the powerful emanations of ancient (1970s) power
Sadly, i havent, as of yet, ever played Ravenloft. Was going to this fall but i had a contractor nightmare than just never seemed to end. I finally had to fire him.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM

Castle Amber: looking back at it I wonder what the writer was smoking- but it made for a great day of D&D!

Even the names were classic-cool for modules back then.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-17-2008, 02:07 PM
I died the first time i ever played it. This was the year it was released. Played it again in 2008, almost died but didnt. Used the pregens from the back of the module the second time around.

RealmsDM
11-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Even the names were classic-cool for modules back then.

Yeah, the name really said it all. That and all the simple, yet AWESOME artwork. My favorite probably was the cover art for "The Lost City".

Bonus points: anyone remember what it was??? ;)

gdmcbride
11-18-2008, 07:19 PM
The cover of B4: The Lost City?

That's a color Jim Holloway picture with the dude in funky golden Zargon mask suprising a group of adventurers who are looting a room.

Gary

RealmsDM
11-18-2008, 11:12 PM
winner! I hope you remembered that & didn't cheat by looking at an old copy ;)

gdmcbride
11-19-2008, 03:17 AM
winner! I hope you remembered that & didn't cheat by looking at an old copy ;)

I own it. I remembered the picture vaguely without any aids and that it was by Jim Holloway. But I did go look at it. I had forgotten how busy it is...

Gary

Sherwood
08-10-2009, 01:43 PM
As a DM I inserted some of the Swords from Saberhagens "The Book of Swords" into a homebrew campaign setting. After a while the swords began to disappear. It seems someone was collecting them (imagine that!) along with human specialists from around the continent representive of the Swords' powers. Come to find out it was a Lich. The PC's didn't take that serious until one of them had and then lost one of the Swords to the Lich. Rumor was the Lich wanted to meld the individual swords' powers into a single item. Chasing the Lich, freeing the specialists he was using as fodder for the magical effort, and having him escape all their efforts to capture him made for a very entertaining world for a couple years.

In frustration at one point when an especially powerful magic conveyance was threatened the DM that brought me into the game was a PC and used a wish very foolishly: "I wish this vehicle was somewhere else". At which point the conveyance - currently in the form of a hot air balloon - vanished & all the characters free-fell 500' into the ocean below. (My crowning achievement as a DM, btw). They never did catch the Lich before my job site changed & I had to leave them. And, back in the '80's, there was no internet to play on (sigh).

BTW, if anyone is near me in N. Iowa & wants to play a pencil-paper-eraser game, feel free to e-mail me at enamelguy @ msn . com (sans spaces, naturally!).

penguin133
08-11-2009, 04:58 AM
Any of the Judges' Guild adventures were fantastic, I remember with nostalgia Tegel Manor, and still own Citystate of the Imperial Overlord. Also Frontier Forts of Kelnore, I GM'd loads of those and had a great time! (So did my players!) Don't remember the numbers, but Castle Amber was very good, as were the giants series.

tesral
08-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Any of the Judges' Guild adventures were fantastic, I remember with nostalgia Tegel Manor, and still own Citystate of the Imperial Overlord. Also Frontier Forts of Kelnore, I GM'd loads of those and had a great time! (So did my players!) Don't remember the numbers, but Castle Amber was very good, as were the giants series.

Tegel Manor was the first Dungeon I ran. I must have three copies of the City State. Judges guild played an important part in my early game. It literally shaped by game world as the wilderness maps where the first I had.

penguin133
08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Garry, Ian Winterbottom speaking. dunno if you remember me from years back on the Inn, I gave up because of Political problems?
As I've said, JG were great. I particularly loved the "multipurpose" books like Forts of Kelnore and the Islands and Towns. Have just managed to download those. I just wish I had some players now! All my group, which I have only just found after twenty years' famine, are iinto 4e or other games! I have also been looking at the old 1e DM's Guide, there is a whole lot of tables on city encounters, including several kinds of Harlot! I wish I had my old Group from the eighties!
So long,
Ian

jasonj
11-25-2009, 05:35 PM

I revamped this module to fit my 3.5 game . One of the greatest modules ever . I know its not individual module , but i was always a huge fan of the Desert of Desolation series .

Eryiedes
11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Against the Giants culminating in Vault of the Drow
G-1 thru G-3 & D-1 thru D-3...too hard to pick just one out of those six.
Failing that White Plume Mountain or Tomb of Horrors....maybe.

Peace & Light (...& THAC0)

penguin133
11-26-2009, 07:18 AM
WPM, which I played in rather than DM'd, and the inimitable Giants series; also Castle of Amber, in which I was also a player? I also loved the Judges' Guild's stuff, still have a lot of it!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I can only choose one 'classic?' Oh, that is sooo evil.

tesral
11-26-2009, 11:15 AM
WPM, which I played in rather than DM'd, and the inimitable Giants series; also Castle of Amber, in which I was also a player? I also loved the Judges' Guild's stuff, still have a lot of it!

Judge's Guild. I never liked their adventures much. However the wilderness maps were invaluable as well as the cities.

Hi Garry, Ian Winterbottom speaking. dunno if you remember me from years back on the Inn, I gave up because of Political problems?

Political problems on a political list? You are missed BTW.

I can only choose one 'classic?' Oh, that is sooo evil.

Then it should be right up your alley.

Dark
11-26-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.deigames.com/s1.jpg

Rilonor
01-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I enjoyed DMing the Forgotten Temple of Thurizdun (sp?)--it's been so long I cannot remember how to spell it. I guess my imagination is rather vivid as the thought of the robes, thurigible, incense, special sconces, etc and the Black Cyst struck me as mystical and forbidding.

Umiushi
01-23-2010, 04:22 AM
Kind of neat how this resurfaces every few months. I guess it's time to make my contribution before the thread sinks under the waves again.

I'm not very enthusiastic about the Dragonlance story or setting as a whole, but my favorite AD&D module is certainly DL12: Dragons of Faith. Although the ending of the series was still two modules away, this was the grandest in scope of the Dragonlance modules: it contained enough material to be its own, separate campaign. Not just that, but Dragons of Faith implemented a number of design elements I wish had continued to be incorporated in future modules, such as a universal encounter matrix that incorporated events, omens, and bits of local color.

These days, it would be called a "super module" but it differs from the usual examples. Super modules are usually one of three types: mini-campaign settings with lots of story ideas and a few full-on dungeons, but without any great sense of motion; adventures that do flow, but only because they are actually a series of older modules republished under a single label; or an expanded version of an older module. Even casting its net so wide, this adventure still laid out a sense of driving purpose, and it did so as a single module from the start.

As a final note, the 2nd edition republication of Dragons of Faith as a section of DLC3: Classics Volume 3 managed to excise most of what I thought were the stand-out elements of the original module. Please don't use that as a basis of comparison.

tesral
01-23-2010, 06:27 AM
I would throw Ravenloft into the category. It did spawn the entire setting after all. The thing i still love is the wonderfully complex isometric maps for the castle itself.

upidstay
01-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I am fortunate enough to be going to a Con in a few weeks where Frank Mentzer will be DMing some old school modules. He was a major force at TSR back in the 80's. He will be running a 1st edition game, plus a Basic D+D module, "Palace of the vampire queen" the first module ever published. Very psyched for this. He ran an adventure I played in last year at the same con. Basic D+D, more free-form gaming than "follow the rules". had a great time, even after we all got eaten by a carrion crawler.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Which convention will he be at?

upidstay
01-25-2010, 06:21 AM
www.totalcon.com (http://www.totalcon.com)

Best con I've ever been to

cplmac
01-28-2010, 04:48 PM
:mod:

Wanted to step in here before anything more is said about the post of upidstay's that has the link to totalcon. It was not spam, due to the fact that he was simply answering the question that was asked by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon. This being the case, I have deleted the posts that had to do with the spam aspect.

Frobozz
02-07-2010, 03:38 AM
My personal favorite 1st ed modules: The Desert of Desolation series (I3 through I5) only for their epic feel. The combined book is just refinement. I ran the series twice, one with the individual modules and one years later combined. I traded a buddy of mine 3 modules for it (Drums on Fire Mountain, Day of Al Akbar and Baltron's Beacon).

My other favorite: B4 Lost City. I'm a sucker for dungeon crawls, I admit. :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm a sucker for dungeon crawls, I admit. :)

You and me, both. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

ChaunceyK
02-07-2010, 10:27 AM
You and me, both. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

And Chauncey makes three! :clap2:

I think a dungeoncrawl is the best way to go when starting with a new game system...throws you head first into the meat & potatoes of the game mechanics (which you have to admit, historically, do tend to be mostly combat). Plus, you get to encounter alot of different creatures, which helps familiarize you with the world your character(s) live in.

I remember one adventure we had back in the 80's, I think it was The Veiled Society. Our party had reached "name level" (anyone remember that?), and we were passing through a large city when a murder took place among one of the higher-class families. We were called in to aid in the investigation...mind you, this is D&D. I didn't like it so much. I don't want my D&D to be ALL hack & slash, but I didn't like the degree of looking for clues & putting them all together to figure out "who done it." It made me wish we could just be pointed in the direction of the bad guy's mansion & told "Go sweep through & kill everything!" :lol:

Webhead
02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I've never much enjoyed the dugeon crawls myself, except for two adventures that I ran back in 2nd Ed. which were kind of "dugeon-y" but were more manageable in terms of size, number and layout of the rooms. The first was a keep overtaken by an ogre and the second was a haunted mansion. Can't remember the names of them. Fun adventures.

Most of the time, I prefered playing/running the "outdoors-y" type D&D stuff (villages, cities, forests, mountains...etc.).

Xanatheus
02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
There were so many. I loved The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh and U2 and U3. I loved the G-D-Q Series. If I had to pick just one I'd say B2 The Keep on the Borderlands.

Ahh the memories.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-24-2010, 09:14 PM
There were so many. I loved The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh and U2 and U3. I loved the G-D-Q Series. If I had to pick just one I'd say B2 The Keep on the Borderlands.

Ahh the memories.
ditto

TaliesinNYC
03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil, hands down.

Actually, the series T1 (Village of Hommlet) all the way to T4 (using the black-bound softcover that came out back in the day).

There was a reason why the moathouse was infamous. :)

I have a group I just formed four months ago. Guess where they're going once they reach 3rd level. <eg> Hommlet can be really unforgiving at 1st level so I thought I'd make it slightly easier for them to start. Reel them in slowly....slowly...heh. Should be interesting and fun.

kirksmithicus
03-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm a big fan of the Slaver series (A1-A4), but B2 was my first intro to gaming and was awesome. B4 was hella fun as well.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Rahasia was a favorite too. My favorite Dragon magazine adventure was Little Boy Mountain (if I remember that correctly).

tesral
03-30-2010, 01:47 AM
Do you remember the Issue? I can look it up.

wilver
07-24-2010, 05:42 PM
These are actually adventures I both ran as opposed to played:

Assassin's Knot

It occurs to me that I never played in a 1e game where the DM used a module...

michaelsbagley
07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
I was always partial to the "T" series, the one collectively known as the "Temple of Elemental Evil" (when it was released as the super module format).

froglegg
08-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Once again this is so hard. It just depends on what you want to do. So many and so little time.

John

Abaddon
08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Does anyone here remember the EX series? EX1 - Dungeonland and EX2 - The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror written by Gygax. Not your typical adventure but very fun (and strange).

Hey kirksmithicus imagine meeting you here haha. I have the Slaver series: A1 - Slave Pits of the Undercity, A2 - Secret of the Slavers Stockade, A3 - Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords, A4 - In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords, A1-4 - Scourge of the Slave Lords. Good stuff, makes me wanna play 1ed.

tesral
08-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Wow, I just checked the database. I have all three. I've never read any of them, or used them.

agoraderek
08-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Cool to see this thread is still going!

Ronin69
09-07-2010, 06:47 PM
I think I have mentioned this before, but I would love to do a KOTB Redux. Keep the old school flavor but update it for 4E or 3.x, whatever your flavor. Have people submit homebrew material from what they remember from when you used to play the module. Throw in some good maps, new NPC descriptions and update the encounters. Possibly set it a little further along in the time-line to add a small village. Anyway, one of my 16 Brazilian projects I want to do.
Alright I am new here but had to chip in. My favorites are Against the giants as Steading of the hill giant was very first D@D back in mid 70's, next is I6 Castel Ravenloft. but has anyone DMed or played I6 with the companion modual "house on Gephin Hill"? there are rules to run both moduals simultanious. extra work for the DM but will have players really work their brains. and now back to the reason of this post. The Keep on the borderlands rocks too. I modified the modual for one of my groups as I was trying to get them leveled up for the G series and B2 was to weak for thier current level so I descibed the keep as having been taken and it is currently in control for an ogre. who just so happened to be working for the Hill giant chief in G1. the ogre was recruting hobgoblins and goblins for the giants army to attack next keep/ city of the humans.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

My personal favorite 1st ed modules: The Desert of Desolation series (I3 through I5) only for their epic feel. The combined book is just refinement. I ran the series twice, one with the individual modules and one years later combined. I traded a buddy of mine 3 modules for it (Drums on Fire Mountain, Day of Al Akbar and Baltron's Beacon).

My other favorite: B4 Lost City. I'm a sucker for dungeon crawls, I admit. :)
Well if you love dungeon crawls there is none better than UnderMountain. it is a huge dungeon under Waterdeep in the forgotten realms setting. but you will have to dress most of it as it was mostly just mapped. I used 4 24" by 36" poster boards to show the dungoen.

tesral
09-08-2010, 01:24 AM
I both like and dislike those big poster maps. They are nice to look at, but actually playing with the things is a bear. TSR loved them too. You have large poster maps in nearly every boxed set.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I miss the old artwork. I hate the artwork for dnd, today. Okay, if you want to say its because i am old school... then that would be an accurate and fair assessment.

I'm just sayin'... .

BTW, loving this thread!

tesral
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Having fun to be sure.

jasonj
09-09-2010, 10:44 AM
So i purchased a beat up copy of The Lost City , how did any group live past 5 minutes in this module ?? LOL

Otakar
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I had thought that I posted to this one before but my favorite adventure I DMed 1E was Dark Tower by Judges Guild. As a player I mostly played in home brew adventures. I didn't have the creativity to make up my own as well as my fellow DMs. :)

SylvanElf
04-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Am running White Plume Mountain at the moment, with a few tinkerings (some Sphinx-riddling here and a few tougher wandering monsters) and it's going brilliantly. Gygax is a madman though! Sheer genius at work with some of the fixtures of this dungeon. I think it's hard to touch Vault of the Drow though, for best adventure of all time. The descriptions and inventions in that module alone is incredible.

TK1072
05-22-2011, 09:57 PM
For me, my favorite would have to be B2:Keep on the Boarderlands. This module was D&D for me & was everything I loved about the game.
A second place would have to be the whole G/D/Q series and storyline (yes, even Queen of the Demonweb Pits...). The "G" series really fits what AD&D was to me.
And of course, any module with artwork by Erol Otus in it scores high on the list too! :-)

tesral
05-22-2011, 10:43 PM
I miss the old artwork. I hate the artwork for dnd, today. Okay, if you want to say its because i am old school... then that would be an accurate and fair assessment.

How old of the artwork? The really early stiff sucked. I mean really sucked. Mid-first edition when they could hire decent artists and hadn't gotten all family fearful.

nijineko
05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
ah, so many memories. and so many good modules mentioned. as far as that dragon adventure goes: http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/adventures.html this link is to the adventure section of the dragondex, a complete listing of mostly everything that has appeared in a dragon magazine. i have yet to find a complete one for dungeon mags, though there are a number of partials.

b1 and b2, gdq 1-7, t 1-4, ex 1&2, are among my favorites. the city of the skull was another great one with the reputation system and the complex maps. =D i'm also fond of undermountain and world's largest dungeon.

gnombient
05-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I never really played or refereed modules in my earlier gaming life (it was all homebrew all the time), but as I've become busier in the past 10 years I've used some classic modules, often heavily modifying them to foil veteran players or fit better into my setting. Keep on the Borderlands was one of the very few I played in back in the day, and I've gotten some good replay value out of it with several groups in the last few years. I recently gained a new appreciation for Dwellers of the Forbidden City, I'm currently using it as the basis for a Barbarians of Lemuria adventure.

Jason_Chaotic
06-10-2011, 02:56 PM
'Temple of Elemental Evil' was one of my favs, fairly sure that many others out there as well.
Loved the 'secret of the slavers (A2)' and D1-2 Descent into the depths of the earth were excellent for me.

norecess4u
07-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Lost City. My first adventure. The whole idea is classic. Lost in a sand storm, party finds this entrance and next thing you know you are sliding down a pit into Zargon's lair. Brilliant. I also love Lost Caverns. Just took my group through a version of it. Drelzna charmed everyone but one person, and it was a classic fight. Everyone was screaming during the battle and totally getting it!

Lamdomon
05-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Hello. My first post here. I'm going to cast my vote for Dark Tower. Published in 1980 by Judges Guild, for use with "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"; written and designed by Jennel Jaquays.

Thorn
09-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Mystara campaign world.