PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms

Tony Misfeldt
06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I've some questions before accepting anyone into my game...

1) Do you miss the option of having a warrior with extraordinary strength like in 1st & 2nd Ed?

2) Do you miss the option of your fighter being able to take weapon specialization at first level?

3) Do you miss the simplicity of creating barbarians and monks in 1st Ed in comparison to 3.5 Ed?

4) Do you find all the Combat Feats and Attacks Of Opportunity in 3.5 over complicate the combat system?

5) Do you miss the simplicity of only having to roll only one number to hit each time when you had multiple attacks?

6) Do you miss the simplicity of Rates Of Fire for missile weapons?

7) Do you find the whole Feat System to be a bunch of BS?

8) Do you think the idea of Skill Points and Skill Ranks in 3rd Ed were an improvement over 2nd Ed?

9) Do you think that simplifying the Saving Throws into three categories, Will, Reflex, and Fortitude was an improvement over the 1st & 2nd Ed Saving Throw System?

10) Do you prefer the 3rd Ed Armor Class System to 1st & 2nd Ed THAC0 System?

11) Do you think the addition of the Sorcerer Class was an improvement in 3rd Ed?

12) In 2nd Ed, a cleric with an 18 WIS got two bonus 1st level spells, two bonus 2nd level spells, one bonus 3rd level spell, and one bonus 4th level spell. In 3.X Ed, a cleric with an 18 WIS gets one bonus 0 level spell, one bonus 1st level spell, one bonus 2nd level spell, and one bonus third level spell. In my hybrid game we'll be using the 2nd Ed numbers, plus two bonus 0 level spells. Do you prefer my hybrid version or the 3.x version?

13) Were you happy that cleric spells were increased in number and in power, going from level 0 to level 9 instead of level 1 to level 7?

14) Do you miss having divine spells governed by Spheres Of Influence?

15) Do you miss having the option of playing Specialty Priests at first level?

16) Do you like that in 3.X Ed, wizards with high INT scores get bonus spells?

17) In my Hybrid game, wizards with high INT scores get the same number of bonus spells as clerics with high WIS scores do. Do you prefer my numbers or theirs?

18) In 3.X, Sorcerers with high CHA scores don't get bonus spells. In my Hybrid game they do. Which system would you prefer to play a sorcerer in?

19) Do you think it's silly that druids and rangers are able to be absolutely any alignment in 3.X?

20) Do you think halflings are hobbits and not kender?

21) Do you prefer ROLE playing over ROLL playing?

22) Do you miss the Comeliness stat from 1st Edition?

If you answered "yes" to most of these questions, I'd love to have you in my group. Please send me a personal message or reply to this post.

Tony Misfeldt
06-25-2008, 09:00 PM
I've some questions before accepting anyone into my game...

1) Do you miss the option of having a warrior with extraordinary strength like in 1st & 2nd Ed?
Damn right I do! That was one of the best things about those editions!

2) Do you miss the option of your fighter being able to take weapon specialization at first level?
Absolutely! And it was so much simpler back then!

3) Do you miss the simplicity of creating barbarians and monks in 1st Ed in comparison to 3.5 Ed?
Deffinately. 3.X made the process unnecessarily complex!

4) Do you find all the Combat Feats and Attacks Of Opportunity in 3.5 over complicate the combat system?
Absolutely!

5) Do you miss the simplicity of only having to roll only one number to hit each time when you had multiple attacks?
Deffinately!

6) Do you miss the simplicity of Rates Of Fire for missile weapons?
Deffinately! One of the main reasons for choosing proficiency in a bow was the increased number of attacks its ROF provided.

7) Do you find the whole Feat System to be a bunch of BS?
Absolutely! The whole Feats Chapter of the PHB is just glossy toilet paper as far as I'm cobcerned!

8) Do you think the idea of Skill Points and Skill Ranks in 3rd Ed were an improvement over 2nd Ed?
I certainly do! One of my biggest complaints with 1st & 2nd Ed was the static rules of their nonweapon proficiency system.

9) Do you think that simplifying the Saving Throws into three categories, Will, Reflex, and Fortitude was an improvement over the 1st & 2nd Ed Saving Throw System?
It's a deffinate improvement! So much better than the old system!

10) Do you prefer the 3rd Ed Armor Class System to 1st & 2nd Ed THAC0 System?
While I don't mind the THAC0 system, I find the 3.X AC system does make more sense.

11) Do you think the addition of the Sorcerer Class was an improvement in 3rd Ed?
I haven't had a chance to play a sorcerer yet, but I'd like to.

12) In 2nd Ed, a cleric with an 18 WIS got two bonus 1st level spells, two bonus 2nd level spells, one bonus 3rd level spell, and one bonus 4th level spell. In 3.X Ed, a cleric with an 18 WIS gets one bonus 0 level spell, one bonus 1st level spell, one bonus 2nd level spell, and one bonus third level spell. In my hybrid game we'll be using the 2nd Ed numbers, plus two bonus 0 level spells. Do you prefer my hybrid version or the 3.x version?
What spellcaster would want fewer spells? The hybrid version is deffinately the better choice.

13) Were you happy that cleric spells were increased in number and in power, going from level 0 to level 9 instead of level 1 to level 7?
Yes! I always felt that clerics and druids got jipped in the magic department.

14) Do you miss having divine spells governed by Spheres Of Influence?
Absolutely! It allowed DMs to create ethos specific priests rather than using one generic spell list for all priests of all faiths.

15) Do you miss having the option of playing Specialty Priests at first level?
Absolutely! Clerics and cleric prestige classes just don't cut the mustard.

16) Do you like that in 3.X Ed, wizards with high INT scores get bonus spells?
I most certainly do. I've always felt that, with their limited choice of weapons and lack of armor, wizards should have been given more spells at lower levels.

17) In my Hybrid game, wizards with high INT scores get the same number of bonus spells as clerics with high WIS scores do. Do you prefer my numbers or theirs?
The Hybrid numbers obviously. What spellcaster would want to be able to cast fewer spells?

18) In 3.X, Sorcerers with high CHA scores don't get bonus spells. In my Hybrid game they do. Which system would you prefer to play a sorcerer in?
Again, it's obvious. What spellcaster would want to be able to cast fewer spells? So the Hybrid version for sure.

19) Do you think it's silly that druids and rangers are able to be absolutely any alignment in 3.X?
I certainly do. The creed of rangers and druids, to defend the forest and woodland creatures from those who would defile or destroy them, goes against the very nature of evil persons. What's next? Evil Paladins?

20) Do you think halflings are hobbits and not kender?
Absolutely! Shame on Lizards Of The Coast for caving in and committing genocide because Tolkien's lawyers wanted them to! I would have kept the description the same but called them "Hoblings".

21) Do you prefer ROLE playing over ROLL playing?
I'm a reformed munchkin, so I'd have to say "yes".

22) Do you miss the Comeliness stat from 1st Edition?
Not really, but that's only because I never stopped using it.

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 12:17 AM
well, im in houston, but i answered "yes" to 90% of that...

hell of a commute, though....

Tony Misfeldt
07-09-2008, 08:30 PM
well, im in houston, but i answered "yes" to 90% of that...

hell of a commute, though....

Too bad. Anybody from the BC Lower Mainland who answered yes to most of my questions? If so I'd love to game with you.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-13-2008, 12:52 PM
I love your questionnaire. If i lived closer, i'd ask to join. Damn, when are those teleportation devices going to be released?

Thoth-Amon

Tony Misfeldt
08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
So does anybody from Vancouver like this questionaire? And if so, how many have said "Yes" to most of those questions? And are you available to play D&D Sunday nights?

Tony Misfeldt
08-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I am looking for players and/or DMs to play in a long term D&D campaign set in The Forgotten Realms. The reason I need both players and DMs is because I want to use a rotating DM system. The idea is that everyone, including the DM, creates a character to use in game play. The DM's character joins the group as an NPC earning half XP for combat and spell casting (like an NPC Henchman). When the DM tires of running the game, he and one of the players switch places and the campaign continues where it left off, only with the DM's character now a PC earning full XP for combat and spell casting plus XP for role playing and problem solving as well. Meanwhile the player's PC is now an NPC earning no XP for role playing and problem solving and only half XP for combat and spells. This helps prevent DM burnout and makes sure that all players who want a chance at either side of the DM screen get the chance. Here are some things to be considered before starting...

PLAYERS: I like playing with ROLE players (aka: Art Whores), not ROLL players (aka: Munchkins). This is D&D, not craps. Now I'm not saying that you're not allowed to play a blood thirsty barbarian who doesn't believe that there's a problem that exists that can't be overcome through the business end of a battle axe (hell, I'll be playing one myself) I only ask that you don't play him like an axe weilding automaton. While talking to NPCs, don't complain to the DM that you're talking to NPCs and not killing them, or go off to a different room to watch TV or play video games, or just sit quietly and doodle waiting for something that you can kill to show up. Complain to the other PCs (in character) that you're talking to the NPC rogue and not smashing him. Tell the DM you're looking about for traps or ambushes, or that you're using some of your skills to try and determine if the NPC is being honest with you or trying to bluff you. Then you're not verbally taking part in the conversation, but you're not just standing there waiting to kill either.

GAME: I am going to be starting things off as DM. I have a few "getting to know you" adventures lined up so that players who've never gamed together before can get to know each other, and for the characters, who also have never met each other, to get to know each other and find a reason to adventure together as well. However, I am not as enamoured with the new 3rd Edition rules as everyone else in the gaming community. While I like some of the changes (the simplified combat and saving throw rules for example) others I detest (feats, barbarian rage, cleric domains, and the elimination of Spheres Of Influence, to name a few). Therefor I will be running the game using a hybrid of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Edition rules (which I refer to as Version 2.5). This means we'll be using Character Points (ChP), Magic Points (MP), and Weapon Mastery. Also, I'd like to ask that after we make our DM switch we remain using D&D Version 2.5. I was originally going to allow switching to whatever system you were most comfortable with, but then I realised with D&D Basic, 1st Ed AD&D, 2nd Ed, V2.5, V3.0, V3.5, and now V4.0, we'd each have 7 different versions of our characters. It would be just too big of a pain in the butt. So let's just stick with V2.5.

EXPERIENCE: First of all, we're going to be starting off play at higher than first level. Except for wizards and sorcerers, all single classed players will start play at 3rd level, with base XP for their respective class. Wizards and sorcerers will start play at 4th level, also with base XP for their class. All multiclassed demihumans have to start play at 2nd level in each of their respective classes, with base XP in each class. This is done for party balance, as wizards and sorcerers require so much more XP to advance at lower levels, and they get so few hit points and spells, this keeps them even with the rest of the group. Also, as other classes advance more quickly than mages, the whole party should all reach 5th level at roughly the same time.
As for Experience Points, I'll be handing them out quite sparingly. The majority of your XP will be earned through role playing, problem solving, and successful completion of assigned adventures. Combat XP will be given out for the means by which you conquered your foes (spells by spell casters, sneak attacks by rogues, 10XP/HD for fighters, etc). I will not be handing out XP values for monsters slain listed in the Monstrous Mannual (what some players call "Kill Points"). If you want to hand out KP when you DM that's your decision, but I advise against it. It's been my experience that players don't bother with good role playing when it's so much easier to level up by killing a few trolls.

STATS: The stats will not be split up into sub-catagories like in S&P . They will be the standard stats as listed in the 2nd Ed Players Handbook, and will be rolled using 4D6, reroll all 1s, drop the lowest die, and arrange to taste. In addition to STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, and CHA, there will be a seventh stat, COMELINESS (COM) or physical beauty. Also, wizards and sorcerers with high INT and CHA, respectively, will get the same number of bonus spells as priests and clerics with high wisdom.

RACES: The basic races of the 2nd Ed Players Handbook will of course be available. They can NOT be customised for extra ChP like it says in S&P. Humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings are as they're written in the PHB. However, if you want to make them more exotic you're welcome to use the rules in the Complete Books Of Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings & Gnomes.
I also have The Complete Book Of Humanoids. If you ask nicely, and have a strong narative for your character (ie: a good back story), you might be able to play a humanoid PC. You need to convincingly explain why a satyr, centaur, or voadkyn would leave their forrest home. Or a wemic his jungle, or a thri-kreen his desert oasis. And if you idea is for a humanoid PC is one that's typically evil (orcs, ogres, minotaurs, etc), then you not only have to explain why they left home but also why they aren't evil. Did they put on a Helm Of Opposite Alignment? Come from a backwards universe like in the classic Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror? Get caught in a wild magic effect? A case of nurture over nature (a kobold raised by halflings, a hobgoblin raised by dwarves, a verbeeg raised by human barbarians, a half ogre who's mother was a paladin, etc)? Was he originally human but was killed on a previous adventure and got reincarnated? Use your imaginations. I MIGHT even allow a humanoid PC that's not in the book (vampyre, maedar, red widow, alu-fiend, etc), but you'll have to be REALLY convincing.

ALIGNMENT: All PC alignments MUST be NON-evil. Good or neutral alignments ONLY. Chaotic Neutral is only allowable if you're going to play it as a free spirit and not try to use it to sneak an evil character into the group. I don't want to see anyone going on a killing spree and then saying "I'm Chaotic Neutral, it was my whim!"

CLASSES: The following are the playable PC classes and what, if any, changes have been made to them.

BARBARIAN: For this class we'll be using a cross between the class listed in The Complete Barbarians Handbook and The Complete Fighters Handbook. He gets the hit dice, special abilities, movement rate, and armour restrictions of TCBHB and the weapon restrictions of TCFHB. The Beast Rider, Berserker, and Savage, kits are available from TCFHB, or any warrior kit from TCBHB. The Rune Caster kit from The Viking Campaign Sourcebook is also available.

BARD: This class is exactly as written in The Players Handbook. If you want to add some flair to it you can choose a kit from The Complete Bards Handbook. A note on Skalds, they will recieve D8 hit dice and the climbing, leaping, and dodging abilities of barbarian shaman, as well as the +3 MV bonus to barbarian classes.

CLERIC: Clerics are exactly as they are written in The Players Handbook. If you want to add flair to your character you can choose a cleric kit from Warriors & Priests Of The Realms.

CRUSADER: This is a new class from the book Faiths & Avatars. There are no kits for this class, so it will be played as is.

DRUID: This class is to be played as written in the Players Handbook with the following exceptions. First, the character can be of any partially neutral non-evil alignment. Second, if you're a specialty priest of a specific nature deity then you get the spells and special abilities listed under that deity's entry in whichever book you're using. Or, if you like you can choose a kit from The Complete Druids Handbook.

FIGHTER: This class is played as written in the Players Handbook. Feel free to use a kit from The Complete Fighters Handbook in order to personalize you character, except obviously for those kits which are now considered barbarian kits.

HOLY CRUSADER: This is another new class, this one from Warriors & Priests Of The Realms. There are no kits for this class, therefore it will be played as written.

MONK: This is not the monk kit listed in the Complete Priests Handbook, nor the monk class listed in Faiths & Avatars. This class is simply the 3rd Edition class converted to Version 2.5 terms.

MYSTIC: This is another class listed in Faiths & Avatars. Personally I think they're pretty useless in an adventuring party, but if you want to play one feel free. They're played as written.

PALADIN: This classed is played exactly as written in the Players Handbook. That means only humans can be paladins. If you want to customize your paladin character please feel free to choose a kit from The Complete Paladins Handbook or an appropriate kit from The Complete Fighters Handbook (the Cavalier, Noble Warrior, Samurai, or Swashbuckler, perhaps).

PRIEST: These are the priest classes listed in the books Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. As they are already specialized classes, there are no kits for them (hense the term "Specialty Priest"). They are played just as they are written. They are also one of the reasons why I prefer 2nd Ed to 3rd Ed.

PSIONICIST:This class works exactly as written in The Complete Psionics Handbook. As this class is already quite specialized, there are no kits for this class.

RANGER: This class is exactly as written in the Players Handbook. If you want to add some flair to the character you can choose a kit from The Complete Rangers Handbook, or perhaps an appropriate kit from The Complete Fighters Handbook (Outlaw or Wilderness Warrior for example).

SHAMAN: This class is a blend between the shaman class listed in The Complete Barbarians Handbook and Faiths & Avatars. They'll have the hit dice, climbing, leaping, dodging abilities, etc listed in TCBHB, as well as the spell casting ability. Plus they'll have the spirit guide listed in F&A. You can also customize your shaman by choosing a shaman kit from TCBHB.

SORCERER: This class is exactly as written in the 3rd Edition Players Handbook, only converted to V2.5 rules. He gets bonus spells for high CHA, 6 ChP to spend on weapon proficiencies, 8 ChP to spend on non weapon proficiencies, wizards saving throws, and THAC0. Sorcerers can also choose kits from The Complete Wizards Handbook.

THIEF: Or ROGUE if you prefer, this class is exactly as written in The Players Handbook. If you want to personalize your character you can always choose a kit from The Complete Thiefs Handbook. Even assassins are allowed, as long as they're neutral and not evil.

WITCH-DOCTOR: This is a new class. It is a sorcerer who was born and raised in a barbarian society. He levels up as a sorcerer, gets sorcerer ChP for proficiencies, weapon and armour restrictions, spells advancement, THAC0, etc. Plus, he gets a shaman's movement rate, climbing, leaping, and dodging abilities. He also gets D6 hit dice rather than D4. The trade off is he gets no bonus spells for high CHA. As this is a new class, there are no Witch-Doctor kits.

WIZARD: The wizard classes (that's mages and specialist wizards) are played exactly as written in the Players Handbook, except for the following exception, they get bonus spells for high INT. If you want to customize the class you will have to choose a kit from The Complete Wizards Handbook. Any kit is available except for the ones replaced by the barbarian witch-doctor class.

CHARACTER POINTS: All characters will be awarded 5 ChP per level above first in addition to their base ChP for first level, to be spent however the player sees fit. They'll also get one bonus ChP per language slot from INT. These can only be spent on NWP with a basis in INT, though warriors have the choice to spend them on WP or NWP. You may also choose a number of minor hindrances upon character creation for extra ChP, to be spent however you wish. After game play begins you'll recieve an additional 3 - 5 ChP per level achieved (Minimum of 3, the extra 2 are given out as a reward for excellent role playing). Once per leve you can also trade some of you treasure for ChP. 1/3 of your treasure = 1 ChP. Note that this is total treasure, not just liquid assets. If you have 3000 GP, you spend 2000 GP on a high quality war horse, and then decide to trade 2/3 of your treasure in exchange for 2 ChP, you don't lose 2/3 of the gold you, you lose the war horse.

MAGIC POINTS: All spell casters have Magic Points equal to their number of Hit Points. For every spell cast, you spend one MP per experience level you have to be in order to cast that spell (1st = 1, 2nd = 3, 3rd = 5, etc, all the way up to 9th level spells = 18 MP). From 0 MP to -50% a spellcaster is fatigued and must successfully check vs WIS in order to maintain the mental consentration needed to cast the spell. He also suffers a -3 penalty to all skill checks, his movement rate, his AC, his saving throws, and his attack rolls. Once his MP has dropped below -50%, he's exhausted. He suffers a -6 penalty to attacks, AC, saving throws, and skill checks. Also his movement rate is dropped to half, he can't move faster than a slow walk, he must make constant CON checks or stop to rest, and all of his stats are at one half until he recovers sufficient MP. MP are recovered at a rate of 8 per day of complete rest (a full uninterupted 8 hours sleep). Without sufficient rest he recovers no MP. If the spellcasters MP ever reaches -100%, after every spell successfully cast spell he must roll a successful Save vs Death or die from the strain of spell casting.

GOLD & TREASURE: Everyone will start out with 400 GP to purchase weapons, armour and equipment with. Spend it as freely or as sparingly as you like. Any left over will be considered booty from a previous adventure. Some of you might be under the impression that because your character is starting out above first level that you automatically get a bunch of magic items. I had a player once who was constantly trying to use the Magic Item Charts in the DMG as an equipment shopping list for his characters. This type of behavior will NOT be tolerated. If asked nicely I MIGHT agree to your character having ONE relatively minor magic item, or possibly a one shot item like a scroll or a potion. But that's only IF I'm feeling generous.

SPELL CASTING: I will be using the material component rule in my campaign. If your mage doesn't have 1000 GP worth of diamond dust, he can't cast Stone Skin. I also have a Vocal Component Rule. That means you have to come up with a vocal component for your spells and actually say them, preferably in character, while you're casting your spells. You can use any source you like for your spells vocal components. Anagrams of the spells names, rhyming couplets, saying the spell names backwards, made up jibberish, borrow the words from Harry Potter and other literary sources, whatever. And I personally prefer it if you either pantomime, or at least narrate, The somatic components as well.

I know that's a lot of information, but it's really a list of what you CAN do, more than what you CAN'T. Anyway, I hope this campaign sounds like something some of you'll enjoy playing and I look forward to hearing from you.

PS: Please, no flakey people. If you say you want to join the group, please show up on game night. If I phone you, answer the phone. If I leave a message, return the call. If I email you, reply to the email. I've met tons of people who've said they wanted to play only to never hear from them ever again. It pisses me off. Please don't waste my time like that, you either want to play or you don't. If you don't, then don't say you do.http://vancouvergamingguild.com/smf/Themes/default/images/icons/modify_inline.gif