PDA

View Full Version : Rail Baron Mo

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
So as not to horde in on someone else's thread, I figure I may as well start my own and share pics of progress.

It is HO scale. I intend to make the right hand side rural and the left a small town along with the far left a rail yard (love rail yards).

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.jlu.mushpark.com/images/train.jpg

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Far left side of the room:

http://www.jlu.mushpark.com/images/trackback.jpg

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Left side of the room:

http://www.jlu.mushpark.com/images/trackleft.jpg

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Right side of the room:

http://www.jlu.mushpark.com/images/trackright.jpg

mrken
06-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Hey, what happened to the table? :biggrin:

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:46 PM
The above pics were just the basic layout on the floor to see if it would work how I had envisioned it. I purchased boards and started measuring, cut and then just started building. My track layout has been modified some as I laid it out again on the train deck <seen below>. It'll probably evolve into something more as progress.

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Erected table. I'll get better pics this weekend when the sun isn't cutting through the room (west wall):

http://www.jlu.mushpark.com/images/traindeck.jpg

mrken
06-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey, good luck with all your sanding. Don't envy that task but the train will be fun. lol

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:53 PM
OH, and the initial proposed layout. Angled door is exit of room, bottom door is closet:

http://www.jlu.mushpark.com/images/trainlayout.JPG

Moritz
06-25-2008, 01:58 PM
The biggest problems sofar is the corroded track/fasteners. They don't conduct electricity and the engines go so far then just stop. Additionally, see that middle space, it's 4 foot from the wall to the edge of the table. And the area to the right of that is even wider (5'). I'm 6'5" tall, and I can reach across, however it's still a long reach. So I'm going to have to cut a trap door in the center of the table so I can reach the back corners. :)

cplmac
06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
As a kid, my brothers and I used a very fine grade of sand paper to clean up old corroded track. Then we used a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol to keep it clean.

That engine looks old. Do you know how old it is? Most engines I remember seeing over the last 20 years are more the modern diesel types.

mrken
06-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Trap doors kind of suck, but they mean you have more room to play mini battles there. :cool:

Moritz
06-25-2008, 04:24 PM
As a kid, my brothers and I used a very fine grade of sand paper to clean up old corroded track. Then we used a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol to keep it clean.

That engine looks old. Do you know how old it is? Most engines I remember seeing over the last 20 years are more the modern diesel types.

I've been cleaning the track with brasso, then a fine sand paper (wrapped around a can). So I think the true conductive problems would be in my track connectors. Most of them are older and the connective surfaces cannot be reached with the paper. So I may as well just buy some new ones (50 for 3 bucks, not bad).

The engine (and cars seen in that pic) was(were) probably purchased when I was 3 or 4 (1972). As was most of the track, all buildings, and all of the other cars/engines were purchased all before 1978. Those will be seen in the future. I have a house that's in such disrepair that it will become a haunted house.

Moritz
06-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Trap doors kind of suck, but they mean you have more room to play mini battles there. :cool:

A friend of mine suggested installing motors and actuators to simulate earthquakes. Additionally he suggested that I install a large basin of water to simulate a tsunami. I don't see either idea being followed up on.

I believe some mini's would fit an N or Z scale set, which would be cool to have a futuristic setting modeled. For HO scale, I suspect the di-cast Shogun Warriors would fit to scale. Not the 2 foot tall plastic versions.

mrken
06-25-2008, 09:03 PM
You ever think of using the stuff used to clean electronics. It can be sprayed on. Don't know if it needs to be wiped off, but I don't think so. Think it evaporates off.

tesral
06-26-2008, 02:20 AM
I do a bit of railroading too. N gage is my type. I need to get a hunk of 2 inch foam insulation to build my layout on, now that I have a track plan I like.

Skunkape
06-26-2008, 08:45 AM
I've wanted to build a railroad for years, but just don't have the time, money, or space. One of these days maybe, but the good thing about having an interest in the hobby is that you can use the modeling skills for things other than railroading.

Maybe one of these days. Good luck with your project, looks like you've got a good start!

Moritz
06-26-2008, 09:40 AM
So did some testing last night with the conductivity and discovered something. So, the set is DC power, so you have a positive and negative track side. I'm finding it's not totally that my track fasteners are corroded, but with all the switches I have, I'm getting some polarity reversal and it is shutting down the train. Bah. I'm going to have to look into proper dc electric setup.

tesral
06-26-2008, 10:42 AM
So did some testing last night with the conductivity and discovered something. So, the set is DC power, so you have a positive and negative track side. I'm finding it's not totally that my track fasteners are corroded, but with all the switches I have, I'm getting some polarity reversal and it is shutting down the train. Bah. I'm going to have to look into proper dc electric setup.

They have books for that. Yes you have to watch the polarity. The usual method is to "zone" areas of track.

Skunkape
06-27-2008, 07:19 AM
You're really better off soldering the joints together, you have to be careful with the solder that you don't get too much on the rails, canít have the train derailing every time you go over a joint! Anyway, with soldered joints, you donít have quite as much worry with connectivity problems with corrosion.

As far as polarity issues, Iíd suggest picking up one or more of Kalmbachís books. Basic Wiring for Model Railroaders (http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12212.html), will get you started. Then Iíd also consider some of these other books.

Easy Model Railroad Wiring, 2nd Edition (http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12207.html)
DCC Made Easy (http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12242.html)

There are a couple of other books dealing with wiring, but Iíd check out all of the ones listed plus any others in a model railroad store first so you can see if theyíre what youíre looking for. Itís amazing how many books I have and Iím not even building a railroad yet! LOL!

Moritz
06-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Hey thanks for the tips.

It's been waaaaaaaaaaaaay to long since I've built rail and had forgotten all about the polarity issues. That book "Basic Wiring.." looks great and will be picking it up.

mrken
06-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Itís amazing how many books I have and Iím not even building a railroad yet! LOL!

:lol: Yeah, but we all know that you are planning to. My one question to you is, Does your wife know you are conspiring?

cplmac
06-28-2008, 03:10 PM
We must have been lucky enough as kids to just happen to get things right, since we never had any polarity issues. Then again, we only had a couple of switches back then. Guess it might have something to do with having so many in a certain amount of close proximaty? Don't really know, since I'm not an electrician.

tesral
06-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Linoel trains don't have the problem. AC and the center rail is always the center rail.

DC (All other types) you have to watch the polarity. The big killer is the reversing loop. Where the track comes around onto itself. One turnout. If you sketch it out the problem is apparent. You need to electrically isolate the loop from the rest of the track. you run the train on, flip the turnout, reverse the main track and you are ready to go.

Even with the three rail system you have to isolate a turning loop so you can reverse the main track.

Moritz
06-28-2008, 06:58 PM
So I discovered it was my wye doing it. The + would get pushed back on - due to the three switches.

I took out the wye and the rail yard has a singular entry into it now. I'm a little disappointed and will be reconsidering my overall layout. Since I've already cut the wood and have the table built, I'm sort of limited on what i can do. Not that is bad, since it's huge, but just a matter of adjusting a few choices.

tesral
06-28-2008, 10:29 PM
So I discovered it was my wye doing it. The + would get pushed back on - due to the three switches.

The last book I had had a whole chapter on wiring a wye. They are a real headache.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2008, 02:10 AM
So as not to horde in on someone else's thread, I figure I may as well start my own and share pics of progress.

It is HO scale. I intend to make the right hand side rural and the left a small town along with the far left a rail yard (love rail yards).

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
My grand pa worked for the railroad for over 40 years, which in turn allowed me to build up quite the collection. I dont doubt that i will get back into railroading for i find i am drean to them every time i enter a hobby store. Great hobby, and strangely addicting.

Thanks for the thread. It brought back memories.

Thoth-Amon

Skunkape
06-30-2008, 08:44 AM
:lol: Yeah, but we all know that you are planning to. My one question to you is, Does your wife know you are conspiring?

Oh, she's aware of it, after all she sees all of the Model Railroader magazines I have around the house and the Model Railroader DVDs too!:D

Course as long as I'm just thinking about it, she's ok with it!

mrken
06-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Oh, she's aware of it, after all she sees all of the Model Railroader magazines I have around the house and the Model Railroader DVDs too!:D

Course as long as I'm just thinking about it, she's ok with it!

Wonder if she feels like the lil Dutch boy with the finger in the dike. She just knows one day all heck is going to break out all around her. lol She probably feels like the world is on her back and is just waiting for the day where it is released. Go for it and relieve her fears and be sure to include her in your dreams. She might like it.

Skunkape
07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Wonder if she feels like the lil Dutch boy with the finger in the dike. She just knows one day all heck is going to break out all around her. lol She probably feels like the world is on her back and is just waiting for the day where it is released. Go for it and relieve her fears and be sure to include her in your dreams. She might like it.

She might get into the railroading. I've tried to get her into gaming quite a few times, but it just isn't her thing! But she doesn't stop me from playing so that's a plus.

By the way, I need to look up an article in Model Railroader about wyes and wiring. If you've ever thought of going DCC, there is a system that you can buy that has an auto-reverse system that will automagically change the polarity of a wye as the train travels through it or at least if I remember the article correctly. Don't remember the systems name but I don't think it's too expensive and would be a lot easier than wiring it yourself.

Plus, if you're looking into DCC, then you'd be buying one anyway. Personally, I'm going DCC, mostly because you can run multiple trains a lot easier than than with DC and block control!

Mostly what I'm looking at with the railroading is something for me to do if I ever get the chance to retire!:lol: Course, I'll probably need to model in O scale by that time so that I can see what I'm doing but hey, it'll still be model railroading!

tesral
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Mostly what I'm looking at with the railroading is something for me to do if I ever get the chance to retire!:lol: Course, I'll probably need to model in O scale by that time so that I can see what I'm doing but hey, it'll still be model railroading!

I've toyed with G. Ended up giving it all to a Nephew. There isn't much DCC for the N gage stuff, so I'll have to do it the old fasion way.

Moritz
07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I bought my step daughter an N scale setup (ez track + engine, 3 cars, caboose). She enjoyed it. I've considered doing an N scale layout, but, all my current stuff (from childhood) is HO and it would be a significant investment to retool to N. But, you can do SOOOO much more in N scale with limited space.

mrken
07-01-2008, 09:29 PM
You could do a virtual track. Or like me, I have a track of the whole US on my table. It is called 1830. :cool:

Moritz
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.trainplayer.com/

So I found this for track design and virtual play. Free demo. Pretty sweet.

Moritz
07-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I updated my layout. Already put out all the track this morning and I see that I'll need two more opposing switches to get the train out of the center loops. Blue lines are areas that i need to buy and lay. :). :

http://www.jlu.mushpark.com/images/trainlayout2.JPG

Moritz
12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Well, I tore it all down two weeks ago.

Then last weekend I went to Lowes, bought lumber, and rebuilt the table, smaller, stronger, and hinged it to the wall so i can fold it away. (even with fold up legs).

I'm also going from HO scale to N scale. Decided I didn't have enough space for HO. So I've been scouring ebay for items to purchase.

I'll post pictures soon.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Wow that must have been a hell of a decision to make. I don't envy you. Good luck with the rebuild.

Skunkape
12-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Well, I tore it all down two weeks ago.

Then last weekend I went to Lowes, bought lumber, and rebuilt the table, smaller, stronger, and hinged it to the wall so i can fold it away. (even with fold up legs).

I'm also going from HO scale to N scale. Decided I didn't have enough space for HO. So I've been scouring ebay for items to purchase.

I'll post pictures soon.

I keep flipping back and forth between HO & N. While I like N because you can get a butt-load of stuff in a small area, HO is much easier to see. Granted, my vision is still pretty good, but I can also tell that it's not quite a sharp as it used to be!:(

Plus, it'll continue to get worst. Course, unless I get quite a bit of money, I'll be in the planning stages for another 10 or so years. At least my wife is beginning to entertain the idea of me someday building a layout!:D

Good luck on the rebuild and I can't wait to see pictures!

cplmac
12-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Waiting to see the rebuild too. How ironic that when I checked out the thread there was an ad for a hobby shop at the bottom of the screen and they had trains pictured. Talk about targeting your customer.