PDA

View Full Version : Starship power up time

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Has anyone house ruled start-up times for starships?

It is mentioned in the novels a lot and I have been thinking about implementing a house rule for it. The RCR used to have it and I might just steal that chart and port it over.

Concerns?

Webhead
06-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Has anyone house ruled start-up times for starships?

It is mentioned in the novels a lot and I have been thinking about implementing a house rule for it. The RCR used to have it and I might just steal that chart and port it over.

Concerns?

I always used to rule that a "cold start" of a ship in emergency situations takes at least a minute. That said, this was considering that the ship was fully powered down and crew was rushing to get the ship off the ground as quickly as possible. I would always rule that this was a little stressful on the ship as its reactor and engines struggle to meet what the crew was asking of them so hastily.

That said, I always considered the "normal" full start-up sequences to take at least 15 mintues for a freighter-sized ship, or 5 minutes for a starfighter (since fighter craft are supposed to be ready on very short notice). Obviously, "quick starting" a captial ship is not really going to work, but then, very few capital ships power down unless they are in space-dock being refueled or repaired.

kujester
08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I would say in general that using any time-based rules from other systems won't cause you trouble.

I find that it has always worked out pretty well for me if my PCs ships start at the speed of plot though. ;)