PDA

View Full Version : Wireless droids

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Is this possible? Would you allow it? How would you do it?

We only ever see R2 access computers via scomp link (which there isn't a droid part for).

Datapads can access the holonet wirelessly if you connect a comlink to it (see SECR) so I allowed my PC to outfit his droid with a datapad and comlink and now his droid can access it wirelessly. And it has a holoprojector so it can project a holo computer screen so the PC can direct (assist) the droid on Use Computer checks.

Yes, he is a lazy slicer.

Igbutton
06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I was thinking about asking my DM for something like this when he said he would run Star Wars, but alas no droid characters.

Episode I showed that battle droids receive orders via a WAN and seeing how convenient they make our lives now, it would only make sense that they would be prevalent.

However since credits and sensitive info are transferred over these networks I would rule that the computer treats any access attempts from a unknown signature with a 'hostile' rating or at the very least 'unfriendly'.

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-25-2008, 01:20 PM
BAttledroids are controlled by a specific "remote processor" that is linked to the droid control ship. Hacking that would be nearly impossible I would think.

There are rules for hacking and using a wireless system, but there isn't a specific wireless attachment for a droid. Thats what bothers me actually.

Webhead
06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
I would (and have in the past) allow droids with some degree of wireless access. The GM just needs to keep an eye on things so that they don't get out of hand (like they kind of did in my game for a while). Eventually, the players will want the droid to "fill in" for all the skills they can't use themselves or as a way to be doing two things at once. After all, it's easier to just throw money at the problem (via droid modifications) than to have to spend their own skills/feats/talents/time to do so.

Especially during the Clone Wars and Rebellion eras, when the Holonet was expressly restricted to military use only, I would be very cautious about the PCs trying to acquire means to access and manipulate data on the 'Net with any degree of ease. Cracking into the Holonet to send a "piggyback" signal or to retrieve/alter private records should be a significant, dangerous and unpredictible (and likely expensive) undertaking.

My 2 cents.

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I would (and have in the past) allow droids with some degree of wireless access. The GM just needs to keep an eye on things so that they don't get out of hand (like they kind of did in my game for a while). Eventually, the players will want the droid to "fill in" for all the skills they can't use themselves or as a way to be doing two things at once. After all, it's easier to just throw money at the problem (via droid modifications) than to have to spend their own skills/feats/talents/time to do so.

Especially during the Clone Wars and Rebellion eras, when the Holonet was expressly restricted to military use only, I would be very cautious about the PCs trying to acquire means to access and manipulate data on the 'Net with any degree of ease. Cracking into the Holonet to send a "piggyback" signal or to retrieve/alter private records should be a significant, dangerous and unpredictible (and likely expensive) undertaking.

My 2 cents.

Fortunately droids are easy enough to destroy so I am not too worried about it getting out of hand. The only reason the player is using the droid is because it has a higher Use Computer than he does, even though he is the one that has invested talents in slicing. Strange.

I can't wait until the droid itself gets hacked and turns against the PC! That will be a fun day!

Thanks for reminding me about the restricted holonet, I forgot about that.

Instead of the normal DC 10 to connect it should be a DC 25 or something I think.

hmm...

Igbutton
06-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Also since there isn't a wireless accessory for a droid you might consider that it is because such a device would only be used for hacking. Thus finding one on a droid = big trouble or highly suspicious npcs.

Webhead
06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
I can't wait until the droid itself gets hacked and turns against the PC! That will be a fun day!

That's always fun. I've done that before. If a droid can hack, then it can also be hacked. :)

Thanks for reminding me about the restricted holonet, I forgot about that.

Instead of the normal DC 10 to connect it should be a DC 25 or something I think.

Yes, the Holonet basically became the Empire's personal phone line. Some limited functionalities were available to wealthy, aristocratic families who lived on well-developed, Imperial-sympathetic worlds in the Core, but all access to the Holonet was regulated by the Empire, specifically because they didn't want their enemies using it. The ability to communicate across an entire galaxy almost instantaneously is a potent tool...too potent for Palpatine to be willing to share it with anyone else.

Yeah, any attempt to hack the 'Net should have a high DC, and unless they have some kind of authorization codes to present to network security, any attempted intrusions will definately be flagged "Hostile".